What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any news on our new sponsor?

Forty20

First Grade
So you'd be happy to say turnover $1 million less a year to be called just Parramatta Eels instead of say Optus Parramatta Eels?

I mean every other premier sporting franchise in the world seems to do just fine by having a wide array of major and minor sponsors without selling out their own name. The Seahawks aren't the CenturyLink Seattle Seahawks and by the same token nor do any other major American or European sporting brands sell out their name.

It certainly seems quite possible to provide value to a sponsor without shorting our own brand.

How many videos has the club put out in 2016? 200? 300? More? Why isn't there a built-in 10 second ad/impression (i.e AdBlocker/uBlock Origin proof) for a random sponsor every time a video is played? Why aren't our player interviews conducted with specific background sponsor imagery? Why don't we have weekly video segments specifically brought to fans by a given sponsor?

What else can we or should we be doing with our star players and iconic imagery to give potential sponsors value for their dollars? Players are restricted from wearing club and NRL imagery in any third-party agreement but can we pimp out Western Sydney with club sponsor adverts featuring Norman, Radradra, French or Gutherson in team colours?

If there is no better solution I will settle for a naming right sponsor but I would very much enjoy the prospect of our brand standing aside of any given sponsor.

Avenger

Immortal
Ridiculous decision if true
North Sydney Bears used to have Norths Leagues as their sponsor. Thought then it was a stupid way to sponsor your jersey and think it still is now. Cowboys can have Toyota, Broncos have NRMA, the Dragons have a bank and we get our leagues club. Not good enough.

Avenger

Immortal
Still reckon IKEA would be ideal as the colours match perfectly. Also
a cool car company like Mazda or Subaru. Come to think of it Tesla would be the ultimate as we all know his background. :smile:

Chipmunk

Coach
I mean every other premier sporting franchise in the world seems to do just fine by having a wide array of major and minor sponsors without selling out their own name. The Seahawks aren't the CenturyLink Seattle Seahawks and by the same token nor do any other major American or European sporting brands sell out their name.

It certainly seems quite possible to provide value to a sponsor without shorting our own brand.

How many videos has the club put out in 2016? 200? 300? More? Why isn't there a built-in 10 second ad/impression (i.e AdBlocker/uBlock Origin proof) for a random sponsor every time a video is played? Why aren't our player interviews conducted with specific background sponsor imagery? Why don't we have weekly video segments specifically brought to fans by a given sponsor?

What else can we or should we be doing with our star players and iconic imagery to give potential sponsors value for their dollars? Players are restricted from wearing club and NRL imagery in any third-party agreement but can we pimp out Western Sydney with club sponsor adverts featuring Norman, Radradra, French or Gutherson in team colours?

If there is no better solution I will settle for a naming right sponsor but I would very much enjoy the prospect of our brand standing aside of any given sponsor.

There's absolutely no reason for any of the things you've suggested above happening simultaneously with the club having a naming rights sponsor.

But the only way you can make say $1million a year from a naming rights sponsor is having a naming rights sponsor.

It's all adding to the total turnover and you have to accept that if you don't want the money from a naming rights sponsor then you just don't have that money.

And if I was to be honest I've never once thought of the team as the Dyldam Parramatta Eels and I'm guessing 99.9% of people that have heard of the club would either.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
People already associate the rugby league Parramatta Eels with the Parramatta Leagues Club ... I dont really see how much extra exposure it will give

just seems like giving up the opportunity to bring onboard more decent $s if you ask me

Are we perhaps not able to find a sponsor offering enough?
I think our name isn't worth as much as we would like right now. Maybe a season of on-field success and no scandal will improve our bargaining power. And it might be that we can't find a sponsor willing to offer a one year deal, or we can find some but they actually cheapen our brand.

Forty20

First Grade
There's absolutely no reason for any of the things you've suggested above happening simultaneously with the club having a naming rights sponsor.

But the only way you can make say $1million a year from a naming rights sponsor is having a naming rights sponsor.

It's all adding to the total turnover and you have to accept that if you don't want the money from a naming rights sponsor then you just don't have that money.

I understand completely, my counterpoint to that was that to essentially every major sporting brand in the world the value of keeping their name clean/sponsor-free seemingly trumps any naming-rights offers. Club-owned stadiums in the NFL (built via tax-payer dollars mind you) certainly play a part in this as selling off the naming-rights to the stadium is a big secondary prize for a sponsor.

Beyond that, these franchises are finding ways to pump up enough major and minor sponsor interest that obviously surpasses the break-even point versus selling out their brand name. So what I was working towards in my earlier post is what are these clubs/franchises doing that we can also do to leverage in a similar fashion - even regardless of the naming rights issue.

Chipmunk

Coach
I understand completely, my counterpoint to that was that to essentially every major sporting brand in the world the value of keeping their name clean/sponsor-free seemingly trumps any naming-rights offers. Club-owned stadiums in the NFL (built via tax-payer dollars mind you) certainly play a part in this as selling off the naming-rights to the stadium is a big secondary prize for a sponsor.

Beyond that, these franchises are finding ways to pump up enough major and minor sponsor interest that obviously surpasses the break-even point versus selling out their brand name. So what I was working towards in my earlier post is what are these clubs/franchises doing that we can also do to leverage in a similar fashion - even regardless of the naming rights issue.

I'd have to say that I think most Australian sporting organisations are referred in communication to their stakeholders with a naming rights sponsor at the beginning, but in reality, how many sporting teams would you know or even remotely refer to as their naming right sponsor in Australian sport?

As I said in the previous post, I've never considered the team as the Dyldam Parramatta Eels and I'm certain most people don't.

Forty20

First Grade
I'd have to say that I think most Australian sporting organisations are referred in communication to their stakeholders with a naming rights sponsor at the beginning, but in reality, how many sporting teams would you know or even remotely refer to as their naming right sponsor in Australian sport?

As I said in the previous post, I've never considered the team as the Dyldam Parramatta Eels and I'm certain most people don't.

Fair point mate. Team naming-rights seems to be a quirk of the Australian sporting market and ultimately it isn't a massive deal - although having said that our last two naming-right sponsors did have decidedly public and drawn out divorces with the club (which was certainly symptomatic of past boards mind you).

I do stand by my posts in regards to what more we should be doing for sponsors and potential sponsors, especially digitally. There is really no excuse to not be squeezing out more dollars in sponsorship deals via impressions on videos from exclusive club content at the very least.

Chipmunk

Coach
Fair point mate. Team naming-rights seems to be a quirk of the Australian sporting market and ultimately it isn't a massive deal - although having said that our last two naming-right sponsors did have decidedly public and drawn out divorces with the club (which was certainly symptomatic of past boards mind you).

I do stand by my posts in regards to what more we should be doing for sponsors and potential sponsors, especially digitally. There is really no excuse to not be squeezing out more dollars in sponsorship deals via impressions on videos from exclusive club content at the very least.

I agree with you that there is plenty more ways to be making money out of sponsors, we really are just using the tip of the iceberg at the moment. I think you will find though that some of the things your suggesting digital wise are controlled by NRL and Telstra, who owns the website setup of all the clubs, so some of the things your suggesting would just put money in Telstras pocket, not the clubs.

emjaycee

Coach
I agree with you that there is plenty more ways to be making money out of sponsors, we really are just using the tip of the iceberg at the moment. I think you will find though that some of the things your suggesting digital wise are controlled by NRL and Telstra, who owns the website setup of all the clubs, so some of the things your suggesting would just put money in Telstras pocket, not the clubs.

I think the use of the Telstra managed/supplied website is not mandatory and we may even be looking at other options. There are some technical issues in relation to accessing some of the data but these are not insurmountable. There are also some financial incentives to use the Telstra managed site I believe.

phantom eel

First Grade
It's also a place mat...

Tappeto_Kawasaki_Moto_Garage_PIT_MAT_GRGMAT43.jpg

Latest posts