What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any old time BLR fans here?

KHunt

Juniors
Just wondering if there were any old time BLR fans here who miss the old Brisbane competition, or if there were any old Wests Panthers, Valley Diehards or Brothers fans out there who miss their team?

Are you still pissed off the competition doesn't exist? Or pissed off the Broncos came in and pretty much ended any hope of the BLR do become a big competition again?

aarondoyle

Juniors
Rleague has a BRL/QRL following. You don't see many people on here.

I'm too young, but I wish I had been around in the BRL days.

hellteam

First Grade
Wests Panthers were also my team. Still follow the QLD Cup but don't really support anyone cause Wests aren't in it.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Just wondering if there were any old time BLR fans here who miss the old Brisbane competition, or if there were any old Wests Panthers, Valley Diehards or Brothers fans out there who miss their team?

Are you still pissed off the competition doesn't exist? Or pissed off the Broncos came in and pretty much ended any hope of the BLR do become a big competition again?

BLR WTF? BRL perhaps

Lycon79

Juniors
I used to follow Brothers back in them days. Yes I wish they were still in the comp but you can't stop progress these days I follow Souths Logan Magpies because I'm a born and bred Logan boy but Broncos will always be my first team

Dazzat

First Grade
Used to support Wests in their hey-day ... Geoff Richardson, Greg Oliphant, Greg McCarthy ...

Easts Easts Easts Easts Easts Easts....what a chant!!

The teams I hated were (not neccessarily in order) Wests, Brothers, Souths, Norths, Valleys, Wynnum and Redcliffe.

Smokin Joe

Juniors
Vince "Vinny"O'Brien was part of the might Brothers teams of the late 80's - what a marvellous combination - Vinny OBrien and Bligh Davidson (every now and then they would even catch a bomb!!!!)

Titanic

First Grade
Played for Wests Panthers before the club moved to Purtell Park and I to Sydney. Artie Connell, Ray McCarron and Max Williamson, a virtuoso front row.

the kirwan kid

Juniors
Depends what you mean as old time! I grew up in NQ and watched the QRL and then state league all throughout the 80s. So many great players that don't get mentioned beacuse they never chose to go to sydney.

PJ Marshal

Coach
my family were big valleys fans, had something to do with the club...have to find out but i do have an old jersey with the VFC on it

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
Was always a Brothers fan (plus played for them). Their 87 grand final team was brilliant. Coyne, Gill, Bailey, Kilroy, Smith, Rea, Mohr. Didn't mind valleys either.

Now they both don't exist, I probably should be a Norths supporter considering I live on the northside. Just can't bring myself to barrack for them due to the many controversial games we played against Norths at good ol 'Bashup Park'.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Today is the day - happy 100th birthday to club rugby league in Brisbane
At 2:15pm today, club rugby league commenced in Brisbane 100 years ago at the Gabba ....
grin.gif

|_|_|_|_|_|
|xxxxxxxxxx|
|..............|
|xxxxxxxxxx|
|_________|

The league started the 1909 season by altering its name to the Queensland Amateur Rugby League (Q.A.R.L.) on 8th March, 1909. Expressions of interest were then sent by the league to numerous sporting organisations and clubs, which eventually resulted in four district teams based on electoral boundaries, accepting the challenge of playing the new football code. The four sides were North Brisbane (red and black), South Brisbane (sky blue), Toombul (red, white and blue), and Valley (royal blue).

As a marketing tool for the league and a familiarisation exercise for players, two weeks of double-header trial matches were staged free-of-charge at Davies Park in April 1909, the tight nature of the games giving a positive sign that all four sides would be clearly competitive. Although a vast number of these players were recognised former rugby union representatives, the proof of the game’s popularity was still to be realised from match attendances at the new professional code’s fixtures. It was also a huge decision for these players to switch codes, with the rugby union officialdom imposing life bans on all who participated in the new rebel football competition.

With the league securing rights to stage matches at the Brisbane Cricket Ground, the first competition fixtures were held on Saturday, 8th May 1909, in front of more than 800 paying patrons. The early game saw North Brisbane reverse its trial match result against Toombul, securing a tough 8-0 victory, after the scores were locked nil-all at half time. With league official and five-eighth Mick Dore as captain, and winger Bill Evans starring in attack, Evans was rewarded with two spectacular tries in this historic match, while fullback Dwyer also kicked a penalty goal. The referee was league official George Watson.

The second match was a rip-roaring affair involving two dyed-in-the-wool former rugby union rivals, Valley and South Brisbane. Former rugby union stars peppered both sides; George Rousell, Doug Hazleton, Alf Dreveson, Harry Nicholson, and Vic Anderson for South Brisbane, while Eric Hanley, Noel McGregor, Bill Abrahams, Arthur Moxley, and Ern Cartmill turned out for Valley. A rugged first half saw South Brisbane leading 3-0 at the break, before the sky blues powered into top gear after the break, with the open style of free-flowing football the league purported the new game to profess. League official and referee Alf Faulkner eventually blew full-time with South Brisbane running out comfortable 12-2 victors over Valley. Tries for the victors were scored by I.Boyd, F.Sewell, D.Hazleton and J.Ellis, while Valley’s solitary goal was kicked by E.Cartmill.

Junior matches were also staged at the Eagle Junction football grounds that day, which saw St.Bridgets defeat North Brisbane 8-4, and South Brisbane nudge out Toombul 9-8.

The game we all love had finally been born.

The names of those Brisbane club football pioneers that played on that historic day, should never be forgotten, and are listed as follows:

NORTH BRISBANE – A.Dwyer, W.Evans, F.Veitch, G.Allingham, A.Mills, M.J.Dore, J.Dore, D.Givens, P.Dwyer, R.J.Jarrott, H.Mullins, J.Mills, G.Price

TOOMBUL – G.Paull, F.Hubbard, F.Berge, H.Powell, F.Bean, C.Thwaites, G.Schneider, G.Smith, A.Dutton, B.Franklin, G.Hinton, F.McComb, J.Andrews

SOUTH BRISBANE – J.Rowe, G.Rousell, D.Hazleton, A.Richards, A.Dreveson, F.Sewell, H.Nicholson, E.Wise, I.Boyd, I.Hewitt, W.White, J.Ellis, V.Anderson

VALLEY – R.Harrower, T.Faunce, E.Hanley, J.Keir, N.McGregor, D.Kelly, W.Abrahams, H.Dickens, A.Moxley, E.Cartmill, D.Harrower, H.Gollan, J.Traine

Referees were George Watson and Alf Faulkner respectively, while the touch judges for both matches were Messrs. Vizer and Tighe.

After losing their first match of the season to South Brisbane, the powerful Valley football club wrote the first chapter into their long successful history with premiership success in 1909. Defeating Toombul 19-nil and 16-nil during the season, the minor premiers kept them scoreless yet again in the semi final with a record 30-nil scoreline. Interestingly, North Brisbane, who won their first match of the season, did not taste success for the remainder of the 1909 season. However, they managed to push the eventual premiers to a 6-8 loss and a 9-all draw. The other semi-final was a tough affair, South Brisbane beating North Brisbane 21-11. Only the class of international Vic Anderson and former NSW player Herb Brackenreg got the sky blues through.

However, sheer weight of quality players across the park saw the grand final become a one-sided procession, Valley running out comfortable 21-4 premiers. Running with the wind, South Brisbane took the challenge right up to the royal blues, trailing only 5-4 at the break, after a Valley try by Norm McGregor. However, the Valley kicking game, along with big rolling forward charges, saw tries come at will after the break. After Buckley crossed first, Hooker then crossed twice, along with Kelly to complete the rout. A section of the 1500-strong crowd were less than pleased with the performance of referee Jack Fihelly that day however, voicing their feelings throughout the match. However, the local constabulary were well represented to prevent any incident from occurring after the match.

Valley’s complete dominance of the 1909 competition was not surprising, with so many representative stars in their ranks. Brothers Doug and Norm McGregor at fullback and centre respectively, wingers Bill Abrahams and New Zealander ‘Babe’ Hooker, five-eighth Harold Dickens, halfback Doug Kelly, lock Arch Harvey, and second rower Ed Buckley all represented the state that year, while backrower Arthur Moxley had done so the year before. Of those, Doug McGregor, Dickens, Harvey and Buckley had also played for Australia against the touring Maoris side. It was extremely difficult for non-representative players to settle into any sort of rhythm in this inaugural season, with more representative matches actually staged than club games.

Latest posts