What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any old time BLR fans here?

my family were big valleys fans, had something to do with the club...have to find out but i do have an old jersey with the VFC on it

I have my dads one here at home somewhere as well. Valleys and Newtown I went for as a kid. Jets removed took on Easts. Valleys removed took on no one. Although now i go to Cleveland a bit when up there so I guess Wynnum Manly may be a someone to follow in the QC. But not like Valleys.

Buddah, Shop called "What's your team" at Redcliffe and Lang Park sell Valleys 'retro' jerseys (Copies of 70's-80's ones). They're pretty good.

They also do Norths, but they've never got one in 'fat bastard' size for me!!!!!

Cheers for that am going to pick up a Valleys retro one.

jk13

First Grade
followed wynnum my whole life. used to luv playing on the field at halftime at kougari, then sometimes along the grass strip next to the creek if halftime wasn't enough.
The first wynnum gf win was amazing with people lining the street and the clubhouse overflowing. i hav a wynnum t-shirt with half the teams signatures on it from that night.

we always thought strudwick was the devil reincarnated and hendricks his evil apprentice.

a few memories include:
- meniga running out onto the field with a wild man beard b4 the gf and yelling abuse trying to fire everyone up. i think wynnum put 50pts on them that day
- david green getting a penalty 10m out and pointing to the posts while telling the ref he'll take the tap and sneaking over
- terry bulter constantly getting over in the corner
- ray "the tank" duncan, and we all made up a chant using "i'd like to hav a beer with duncan"
- the invincible wynnum side in the 80s, with parra being my other fav team, the 80s were truely a spectacular time for me

Titanic

First Grade
Struddy IS the devil incarnate :) even out Purtell way.

Who was the excellent Wynnum prop (I think he was a teacher) who was killed in a rafting accident in Canada many years ago?

Titanic

First Grade
No ... I remember him as a rangy long-haired guy who wore a headband and I thought he kicked goals too but not so well.

skippy01

Juniors
My favourite all time player was 1960's Norths winger Fonda Metassa. There was never a dull game when the 'Golden Greek' was playing. The most famous incident was the time he was flattened in a game at Lang Park (in the days when no replacements were allowed) and was carted off in an ambulance. Fonda then burst out the back of the ambulance and ran back on to the field and resumed playing to a standing ovation.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
That sorry is absolute folklore! I've heard it many times, still makes me laugh.

My favourite all time player was 1960's Norths winger Fonda Metassa. There was never a dull game when the 'Golden Greek' was playing. The most famous incident was the time he was flattened in a game at Lang Park (in the days when no replacements were allowed) and was carted off in an ambulance. Fonda then burst out the back of the ambulance and ran back on to the field and resumed playing to a standing ovation.

Titanic

First Grade
How about the Barry Muir walk off? And who remembers Dale Coogan?

Last edited:

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
Tell me about them Titanic, I haven't heard.

I remember going to see Combined Brisbane vs Easts in some midweek cup match in the mid 80s. Anyone help me out with a date and what competition it was?

Titanic

First Grade
about 10 mins of the Combined Brisbane v Roosters '84 Panasonic Cup Final 1984 here:

http://www.videosurf.com/video/1984-panasonic-cup-final-77457649

Muir took Wests off after some debate with the ref (I though it was Henry Alberts but can't remember now - it may have been Coogan) and then unbelievably spat on ref Dale Coogan a few weeks later and got outed for good. He had history though getting sent for indiscriminate kicking in a Test in pommieland a few years earlier and the team nearly followed him.

Pic: Barry "Garbo" Muir on the right and Doug "Deefa" Ryan

B646507E-48E8-4099-B10A-E546090DF212.jpg

Last edited:

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
G'day Titanic, thanks for the reply mate. I don't think it was that match in 1984, because I'd only have been 3 at the time. Perhaps my memory fails me and it was St George. I'm guessing around 86 or 87. I also remember watching Queensland play the touring New Zealand side at Lang Park. Perhaps this was around the same time too. I sat in the old Frank Burke stand. Memories...

expansionist

Juniors
I grew up a stones throw from Purtell Park support Wests. My grandfather played for them before they moved to Bardon, and as a kid (around 1980 to 1986) I used to go watch.

Interestingly as I look back now, I recall that most of the boys at my school (Bardon - right across the creek from Purtell Park) used to follow the BRL.. I remember we used to wear half Wests gear with our school uniform on photo days.. Wests socks with our school uniform! Obviously the merch was readily available.

I started going again regularly in the 90's before moving to Sydney.

With their demise goes some of my fondest memories of growing up...

allsportdvd

Juniors
I remember constantly chasing penalty kicks that went onto the hill at Dolphin Oval as a kid.

There's probably footage of me trying to catch footballs somewhere LOL

Brutus

Referee
What about Wynnum-Manly's 35-0 smashing of Redcliffe in the 1982 1st semi at Lang Park.

Did Redcliffe take the field with hangovers that day?