What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any old time BLR fans here?

retch

Juniors
Anyone got any standout memories from the BRL days. It was really important in my growing up as there wasn't a lot of footy on TV. I remember when the only Sydney rugby league was the ABC replay at 10:30pm on a Tuesday night. Only was allowed to stay up and watch if Souths played.

I remember Ross Strudwick sitting on someone's shoulders while the other team was lining up a kick at goal in a close game for Valleys.

Also remember 1 guy (for Brothers I think) making his first grade debut, flattened someone in the first tackle of the game and was sent off.

Also remember trialling the old unlimited tackle rule (not sure why) and thinking how boring this was. It was all 1 up stuff.

I loved Redcliffe's old jerseys. The maroon with white shoulder patches. Always wanted one.

I'm not sure if this is the one but I worked with Brian Green from Valleys...he was playing reserve grade. He was picked for first grade and Henry Holloway told him to flatten Lobegieger.

He was sent off in the first couple of minutes.

If Brian happens to read this forum he could tell the story correctly.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I'm not sure if this is the one but I worked with Brian Green from Valleys...he was playing reserve grade. He was picked for first grade and Henry Holloway told him to flatten Lobegieger.

He was sent off in the first couple of minutes.

If Brian happens to read this forum he could tell the story correctly.

There was a fair amount of that going on. The most famous case was the 1966 Grand Final when Bob Bax selected Grant Mould at 5/8 for Norths - he hadn't played there all year and wasn't a regular top grader. It was no surprise when he flattened Brothers' Australian 5/8 Johnny Gleeson, but that wasn't the end of it. This from the newspaper report of the game:

"The sensational sending off happened in the 30th minute. Brothers' five‑eighth Johnny Gleeson was flattened by a vicious head tackle after he had kicked the ball. Immediately,Norths’ five‑eighth Grant Mould was knocked to the ground.

Referee Henry Albert sent Brothers' forward Dennis Manteit off, and also indicated that Mould was included. Mould, however, at that stage, had no interest. He was unconscious, was placed in an ambulance and taken to hospital."

Manteit was a very hard man. However, the damage was done to Gleeson and Norths won the match.

Brutus

Referee
30 years ago tomorrow Wally and Geno played their final game in the BRL.

A 30-7 smacking at the hands of Redcliffe in the knock-out semi at Lang Park.

Captain-coach Wally played lock that day. I am correct in saying Brad Samuelson was the five-eighth?

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Surprisingly, Brad Samuelson was 5/8. I didn't think he played as late as 1987.

The teams in the programme were :

Wynnum Manly

1 Colin Scott
2 Scott Nicholls
3 Brian Naylor
4 Gene Miles
5 Scott Lewis
6 Brad Samuelson
7 Doug Belford
8 Wally Lewis
9 Tony Jemmott
10 Andrew Tessman
11 John Turner
12 Darren Petrie
13 Darryl Jenner

Redcliffe

1 Greg Donnelly
2 Shane Knuth
3 Rohan Teevan
4 Jeff Doyle
5 Robin Thorne
6 Trevor Benson
7 Jamie Sandy
8 Steve Bleakley
9 Bob Keogh
10 Ashley Tupaea
11 Bryan Niebling
12 Greg Conescu
13 Dave Brown

Referee Eddie Ward

Have a look at the front rows and you will see why the score was the way it was. Wynnum's success in the 1980s was in line each year with the strength of its front row - 1984, 1982 and 1986 were the best, then 1985 and 1981. In 1983 and 1987 the line up was average.

To me, that day was the end of BRL football as I knew it (although I did go to the Grand Final). By the time 1988 came around, out of the two teams above, Wynnum only still had Belford and Naylor, Redcliffe only had Sandy, Knuth, Keogh and Bleakley.

Diehards

Juniors
But in more exciting news the mighty Diehards are playing the Dolphins to make into the Grand Final on Saturday!

Brutus

Referee

Wynnum Manly

1 Colin Scott
2 Scott Nicholls
3 Brian Naylor
4 Gene Miles
5 Scott Lewis
6 Brad Samuelson
7 Doug Belford
8 Wally Lewis
9 Tony Jemmott
10 Andrew Tessman
11 John Turner
12 Darren Petrie
13 Darryl Jenner

Redcliffe

1 Greg Donnelly
2 Shane Knuth
3 Rohan Teevan
4 Jeff Doyle
5 Robin Thorne
6 Trevor Benson
7 Jamie Sandy
8 Steve Bleakley
9 Bob Keogh
10 Ashley Tupaea
11 Bryan Niebling
12 Greg Conescu
13 Dave Brown

Referee Eddie Ward

Have a look at the front rows and you will see why the score was the way it was. Wynnum's success in the 1980s was in line each year with the strength of its front row - 1984, 1982 and 1986 were the best, then 1985 and 1981. In 1983 and 1987 the line up was average.

To me, that day was the end of BRL football as I knew it (although I did go to the Grand Final). By the time 1988 came around, out of the two teams above, Wynnum only still had Belford and Naylor, Redcliffe only had Sandy, Knuth, Keogh and Bleakley.

Wynnum Manly

1 Colin Scott
2 Scott Nicholls
3 Brian Naylor
4 Gene Miles
5 Scott Lewis
6 Brad Samuelson
7 Doug Belford
8 Wally Lewis
9 Tony Jemmott
10 Andrew Tessman
11 John Turner
12 Darren Petrie
13 Darryl Jenner

Redcliffe

1 Greg Donnelly
2 Shane Knuth
3 Rohan Teevan
4 Jeff Doyle
5 Robin Thorne
6 Trevor Benson
7 Jamie Sandy
8 Steve Bleakley
9 Bob Keogh
10 Ashley Tupaea
11 Bryan Niebling
12 Greg Conescu
13 Dave Brown

Referee Eddie Ward

Poor Darryl Jenner. 83 and 87 were his most prolific years in first grade, but he was the starting prop in the 86 GF. Actually, he was pretty good in 86 too. He played on to about 92.

I remember the news that night and a dejected Wally puffing on a ciggie in the dressing room. Sandy had a blinder in that game. No Peter Dawes in that Gulls side I notice.

Last edited:

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Dawes and Miles were the only two players to play in all three winning Grand Final teams in the 1980s for Wynnum. That might surprise some people.

Brutus

Referee
Today is the day 30 years ago when we said farewell to Gene and Wally from the BRL.

Geez I feel old.

Colin Scott would have played in all three GF's had he not been suspended for the 84 GF. That high shot in major semi. I suppose he got close.

What did Dawes do after 87? Go back to NSW?

Diehards

Juniors
Colin Maskell has been to a couple I think... you never who will be there until the they arrive on the night although for the last few has flown back up from Sydney to go to it before flying back to the GF on Sat

Brutus

Referee
The late great Gerry Fitzpatrick used to do a lot of organising for those reunions as you would know.

Who is the driving force behind the reunions these days.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Colin Scott would have played in all three GF's had he not been suspended for the 84 GF. That high shot in major semi. I suppose he got close.

His replacement got Man of the Match - Brian Walsh - as he had in 1982 playing 5/8.

Brutus

Referee
His replacement got Man of the Match - Brian Walsh - as he had in 1982 playing 5/8.
A very good versatile player. I remember him playing in the 1985 State League Final against Brothers and that was about it. Injury must have got him.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
He would have been getting on a bit from then. He was one of the few survivors of the bad old days of the 1970s for Wynnum. He joined the club about 1978 from Murwillumbah and wasn't a youngster even then.

King hit

Coach
Dawes and Miles were the only two players to play in all three winning Grand Final teams in the 1980s for Wynnum. That might surprise some people.

That's really shocked me. I always thought Lewis played in all 3 of those grand finals but it turned out he was still at Valleys in 1982.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
You can win a bet with most people on that.

Ask anyone to name Wynnum's first Premiership team and they will start with "Lewis,......"

Brutus

Referee
You can win a bet with most people on that.

Ask anyone to name Wynnum's first Premiership team and they will start with "Lewis,......"

Wally got done in the prelim final by Wynnum that year. Wynnum-Manly certainly had a convincing finals series in 82. That loss to Wests in the final round must have clicked them into gear.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Memorable day beating Valleys 26-5 to advance to Wynnum's first Grand Final.

They scored 78-8 through that finals series - beat Redcliffe 35-0, Valleys 26-5 and Souths 19-3. Only three point tries then as well.

I like the form line when teams lose the final game of the season when it doesn't matter to their finals position. You can't peak every week so save it for the finals. Wynnum did the same in 2011 and PNG have that form this year, as do Townsville.

Latest posts