What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here got a drone?

Pommy

Coach
im interested in photography in general and was looking at pulling the trigger on buying a Dji Spark. My main concern is having something which I’m able to pack away and take abroad rather than limiting myself to having it just here in Sydney.
I must say I didn’t realise how many places are unsuitable for flying drones from a legal point of view. What’s people’s experiences with finding places to actually use them?

bileduct

Coach
I must say I didn’t realise how many places are unsuitable for flying drones from a legal point of view.
Yep, one of the biggest restrictions I saw was that you can't fly within 5.5km of an aerodrome. So pretty much any hospital is going to have an exclusion zone around it.

Pommy

Coach
Yep, one of the biggest restrictions I saw was that you can't fly within 5.5km of an aerodrome. So pretty much any hospital is going to have an exclusion zone around it.

My understanding is that a HLS does have the same exclusion but only when aircraft are operating.
I actually live within 5.5km of a fixed wing runway so the house is permanently off limits.

Danish

Referee
I wanted to pull the trigger on a drone last year, but the restrictions on where you can fly them make it all but pointless.

The only reason I wanted one really was to take with me on holidays to splice into my travel vids, but basically everywhere I go they are completely banned outright e.g. all national parks in the US, pretty much every single major city, etc.

On top of that, NYC (where I live) has a complete ban on drones in all 5 boroughs outside of a couple select and very boring parks in Queens, brooklyn, and staten island. So if I bought one I'd literally have to rent a car and drive to jersey just to learn how to fly the damned thing.

Having said all that, I still enjoy reading about them and the new DJI Mavic Air looks absolutely awesome

Latest posts