What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone thinking of going to the WCC?

Et#1_supporter

Juniors
Hi All

I've been a long time reader, but i rarely if ever post anything.

I've always said if the sharks won the comp, I'd head over to England to watch the WCC - now they've actually done it i dont know what to do.

I only missed two games this year - I flew up on a Monday arvo to the Gold Coast in Round 21, then flew home Tuesday morning and went straight to work, went down to Melbourne for that game - but flying over to the UK is a different kettle of fish.

I did have a holiday planned with the missus to go to the UK mid to late next year, and going in February would throw that out - and we are going to China/Vietnam in November & December this year so can''t really go on a another full blown holiday again only 2 months later.

HOWEVER, its possibly a once in a life time thing and i want to ride the sharkies premiership as long as i can.

So was wondering if any of you boys were thinking of taking the plunge and going - which might give me the "inspiration" to do it myself...

NrlVader

Juniors
Early days but I would be interested if the forum can get a party to go.

The WCC will be at Anfield, Liverpool next year apparently.

Emirates, Etihad one or the two flies into Liverpool from Dubai or fly into London and then catch the express high speed train up.

Social dinner, pre game pub crawl and post game dinner etc.

Only worry, wearing blue the Liverpool die hards may think we were Everton fans.

Last edited:

Chimp

Bench
I'll be going - but I'm in the UK!

I'll want to source my tickets through the club though as will wanna be with the Sharkies fans that do come over. I'm hoping that'I'll be an option!

Et#1_supporter

Juniors
Yeah i was wondering if the club would organise anything that we could book or organise through, like that chartered flight to Townsville last year

30 Year Sharkie

Juniors
Hadn't thought about it, ET#1, but your post got me thinking. Aside from the climatic issues getting around the UK in February, I don't have a passport (this grumpy git refuses to get on a plane so it's how I avoided mandatory business travel). Will have to get moving if it's to be an option. Would be very cool to be part of.

My son saw our AFL team when they played in London a few years ago, he had a ball. Would definitely recommend the experience for any Sharkies fans considering it. And surely we can all stay at UK Shark's place?? :p

coolumsharkie

Referee
At this point flights are about 1300Aud Return.. I'm sure you could go cheaper if they have another sale on one of the Airlines in the next few months.. You'd have to make up your mind before Dec I'd imagine.

Has it been confirmed that the venue is Anfield?

I was under the impression it was being held at DW Stadium in Wigan (Wikipedia supports this).

If this is indeed the case you are better off flying into Manchester rather than London.

Details seem thin on the ground.

Just further on this.

Whether the game is in Wigan or Liverpool, in February it will be damn freezing cold. Northern England is bleak at the best of times but winter is the worst.

The people are great, the pubs are awesome and going to the footy over there is a different experience and awesome in many ways. If you have the opportunity to get over there I would do it.

Et#1_supporter

Juniors
With no source other than wikipedia at the moment it does all seem a bit light on detail. Would obviously need to know exactly when and where it is before deciding and booking anything (and whether the club is arranging any tickets etc). Like Vader said, if the forum can get a party together it'd be great and would probably encourage more of us to go.

Have always wanted to go to a game in England, and couldn't get a better game to go to than this. My mum is from Yorkshire originally so it would be a good excuse to get over to that part of the world as well- irrespective of the freezing weather or the warm flat beer!

Is $1300 return a good price? Sounds like a decent price to me, but then again I know a couple going over in November and they claim it is costing $1900 between them return (are awaiting details of who they are flying with).

With no source other than wikipedia at the moment it does all seem a bit light on detail. Would obviously need to know exactly when and where it is before deciding and booking anything (and whether the club is arranging any tickets etc). Like Vader said, if the forum can get a party together it'd be great and would probably encourage more of us to go.

Have always wanted to go to a game in England, and couldn't get a better game to go to than this. My mum is from Yorkshire originally so it would be a good excuse to get over to that part of the world as well- irrespective of the freezing weather or the warm flat beer!

Is $1300 return a good price? Sounds like a decent price to me, but then again I know a couple going over in November and they claim it is costing $1900 between them return (are awaiting details of who they are flying with).
$1300 is a fair price assuming it is a one stop flight with no dramatic layover. You can get cheaper flights than that but often they involve multiple stops or really long layovers. I would rather pay a few extra hundred to prevent hanging around in Changi airport for ten hours or stopping again in Helsinki or Zurich.

Quigs

Immortal
If this old fart can offer an opinion. If you are going to go don't camp yourself in a block of Sharks supporters. Way back in 1990 I went on the RLW supporters tour to the UK. I found that when I went to the club games I had heaps more fun leaving my designated seat and venturing over amongst the Locals.

The banter was always great. The Pom RL supporters usually treated me like a long lost cousin. Although it was war on the pitch it was always fun in the stands. Many times I was told I was "come back pub skippy, we drinking pints you and I."

I remember watching one game the Roo B Side was playing and Brandy Alexander was halfback. Anyhow here am I amongst all these poms. This pom tackles Brandy and won't release his grip around alexanders legs. Brandy does a ray price and kicks out. One boot strikes the Pom right in the head maggotting him. All the Poms around me are yelling out "Send the koont orf fooking aussie koont" etc.

Here am I amongst them also yelling out "Send im orff, send the koont off" with the Poms all looking stupid at me wanting my own player sent off.

This Pom looks at me and says "Hey Skippy, what fook do you want own player off?" He adds "Needs gone, he kicked head of so and so)" I just said "Of course he (Alexander) should be sent off. He kicked the koont in the head didn't he?". But the thing he did wrong was he didn't kick the koont hard enough, look the bastards getting back up."

There was a chorus of "Fook orff Skippy you kooont"

It was like that at most the club games I attended. Great atmosphere. They just loved being at the footy.

Evil Homer

Staff member
AFAIK the game is at Anfield.
Venue is not confirmed but it's very unlikely to be Anfield, it will probably be at the DW Stadium to ensure a sellout. They should announce the venue and date when next season's ESL fixtures are announced at the end of the Four Nations in November if not before then.

$1300 return a fair price??????
Faarrk the first time I went over was in 1990 and the price for a return was $2400!!

I would consider going, it would partly depend on whether there are many interesting music gigs happening around that time. I also have an old school mate who lives in Cheshire and would probably hang out with him for a week. $1300 is pretty good, its what I paid for my first trip to London back in 1982.

Et#1_supporter

Juniors
I just read DW stadium somewhere as well, on the weekend of 16-17 February.

I think a $1300 return flight, likely leave without pay from work, and a pissed off missus for screwing up our holiday plans for later in the year, would all be worth it to see the Sharks become CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD!

Vin Fizz

Bench
The missus is just back from the good ole US. I reckon if I play my cards right I might be able to get my own little trip. UK in Feb, why not. I like the sound of a LU supporters group.