What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANZ Stadium

Suitman

Post Whore

bartman

Immortal
OK, but... you had said...
And the NRL wonder why they can't grow crowds.
Where exactly does the NRL wonder why it can't grow crowds?

My point was that the NRL (rather than other sports) appears to have focused on growing other revenue measures for some years now, rather than wondering about growing its game day crowds.

Suitman

Post Whore
OK, but... you had said...

Where exactly does the NRL wonder why it can't grow crowds?

By sticking a major game Like the Easts - Souths derby on a Thursday night.
A game that would ordinarily get 35-40 000 on a Sunday afternoon got 12000 on a Thursday night.
Poor game day allocation.
They don't care.
And my point was that the AFL CAN do it.

bartman

Immortal
I agree with you that the NRL don't care about growing crowds. Despite the AFL being able to allocate to maximise game day crowds, I doubt the NRL are worried as claimed.

As I'd said, they seem to be prioritising broadcast rights and growing memberships, rather than maximising gate takings.

Do they serve full-strength beer at AFL games?

Also, Victorians are nuts about their game. It's like a religion. I doubt we'll ever have that and I think that's a good thing. That kind of devotion to a game is a bit sad.

Suitman

Post Whore
Do they serve full-strength beer at AFL games?

Also, Victorians are nuts about their game. It's like a religion. I doubt we'll ever have that and I think that's a good thing. That kind of devotion to a game is a bit sad.

I agree with all of that.
The Victorian obsession about a game that nobody in the rest of the world gives a shit about just proves their insecurity and constant talking up of themselves.
Now, how much do bananas cost this week? My team is playing another team that has a player that isn't tall, white and has a long neck. I'll need to throw something at him.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
And the NRL wonder why they can't grow crowds.
The NRL doesn't give a shit about crowds, it's all about the TV money. Why else would they agree to the ridiculous 6pm Friday timeslot. Just another reason that bum Grant needs to be arseholed. At least Smith seemed to try and do something about crowds.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I agree with all of that.
The Victorian obsession about a game that nobody in the rest of the world gives a shit about just proves their insecurity and constant talking up of themselves.
Now, how much do bananas cost this week? My team is playing another team that has a player that isn't tall, white and has a long neck. I'll need to throw something at him.
You are now an Auskick member Suit.

bartman

Immortal
Crowd behaviour sadly inherited from "the world game".

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
But do they though? Crowds aren't where the money is at... maximising broadcast rights revenue, rationalising stadiums, and growing memberships (direct funds to clubs) are where things seem to have been heading for a while.
Nothing grows your brand and broadcast rights like a televised game showing 80% empty seats!

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Plastic buckets to sit in and expensive shite food and expensive parking are what the people want. The club is just providing people what they want.

They're the same seats in every stadium. Bring your own food. Catch the free public transport that the club has offered.

Gronk

Staff member
FMD, you would think some people are paid to whinge the way they carry on like there's no alternatives.

I concede that you can buy a family ticket (2A+2C) for $60 which is behind the try line in the Eels fans area.

I guess that the NRL have priced tickets at about the same as a family going to the movies. Fair enough however most parents would argue that they can't afford to take the family to the movies a dozen times over a 6 month period.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I concede that you can buy a family ticket (2A+2C) for $60 which is behind the try line in the Eels fans area.

I guess that the NRL have priced tickets at about the same as a family going to the movies. Fair enough however most parents would argue that they can't afford to take the family to the movies a dozen times over a 6 month period.

Yeah I wouldn't know what a family ticket costs at ANZ stadium, my family and I have bought season tickets for the past 14 years.

The NRL doesn't set prices for tickets, the clubs do.

bartman

Immortal
Nothing grows your brand and broadcast rights like a televised game showing 80% empty seats!
You'd think by now broadcasters would have a way to photoshop out any empty sections, so they look more like the computerised crowd scenes from Fifa?