What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anzac Day - Lest We Forget

Hi guys,

I have decided to start this thread to commemorate and honour all the wonderful brave men and women that have served our great country over the years. This will also extend to those like Pommy, who may not have served Australia as such but fought to defend the values that we hold so dear. Whilst this thread is created for Souths members on here, I would also appreciate input from any fans of other teams that would like to share their experiences or stories of loved ones as well. DKOR, I know this may be a little off topic, but as I've specifically created it to share about a great man who died as a Souths fan, I am hoping you can keep it in this forum.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for anyone who has stepped up in a time of need and done their duty to help protect this wonderful country, and the freedoms and liberties that we all too often take for granted.

Tomorrow will be a very special and emotional day for myself. For the first time I will have the dual honour of not only being a participant in an Anzac Day March, but also wearing my Grandfather's medals and representing him.

My Grandfather, Sapper Laurence William John Roche (NX18050), or Pip as I knew him passed away on 12th July last year at the grand old age of 101 years old. Three months later, I had the honour of fulfilling a promise that I made to him on his very last day, by wearing replicas of his medals and laying a wreath at the Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery at El Alamein, Egypt in October last year as part of the 75th Anniversary Commemoration Ceremony of this very significant battle.

That was an extremely emotional day and journey for myself, but I think tomorrow, being my first Anzac Day without him, and wearing his actual medals, whilst marching to honour Him and all those who have served, may well eclipse that day last October.

Pip, was and always will be my hero. It is a given that he was a war hero, but to me he was much much more than that. He was my principal mentor, a humble man of integrity grace, patience and undying faith. He was the most incredible storyteller, and always found time for everyone he encountered, no matter how young or how old, regardless of the colour of their skin or the God that they worshipped. He had an incredible capacity for forgiveness, no matter how badly someone had wronged him. He possessed a remarkable ability that not many of us have to challenge himself to grow and improve himself as a person, even in his final years when his brain was still sharp but strokes had taken his words away.

Pip enlisted in May 1940 and after training embarked for the Middle East in June 1941, arriving a month later. Once there he joined up with the famed Australian 9th Division which also encompassed the surviving Rats of Tobruk (although at this stage they were still under siege). From July-November 1942, The Australian 9th Division served as part of the British 8th Army, initially under General Auchinleck and later under Lieutenant-General Montgomery. There they took on the might of the Panzer Army Africa and the at that stage undefeated Field Marshal Rommel in the First and Second Battles of El Alamein.

On a battlefield tour in October our guide informed me that the Australian 9th Division fired the opening volleys and also the closing shots of the decisive 2nd Battle of El Alamein, which in my opinion was the battle that changed the tide of WWII. Even Churchill was quoted as saying "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning. ".

This Battle was the Allies first major victory on land, and after it they never suffered a major defeat on the ground. The Australian 9th played a crucial part in all of this.

Pip and his mates departed Egypt in January 1943, landing in Sydney a month later. They immediately commenced jungle training on arrival.

After completing this training they left Australia in August 1943, landing at Milne Bay, PNG, three days later.They arrived after the Battle of Milne Bay, as reinforcements to strengthen the Allied base that was being built there.

Pip returned to Australia at the end of May 1944 and married my Nanna less than two weeks later. He was discharged at the end of August 1945.

However, this was only the beginning of his amazing story, and if people are interested I would love to share more at a later date. Although I am sure I have not done Pip's story justice, I must retire now as I have a big day tomorrow.

I would love to hear others share of their own experiences and/or those of their loved ones, as this is something I am very passionate about.

Lest We Forget.

Stan.

Pommy

Coach
Just got back from my local dawn service.
I may not have been an ANZAC or even an Australian but I always find it an emotional day anyway.
Just had some pussers rum which is the same recipe they would have had prior to the landings, a toast the ANZACs and absent friends.

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
Hi guys,

I have decided to start this thread to commemorate and honour all the wonderful brave men and women that have served our great country over the years. This will also extend to those like Pommy, who may not have served Australia as such but fought to defend the values that we hold so dear. Whilst this thread is created for Souths members on here, I would also appreciate input from any fans of other teams that would like to share their experiences or stories of loved ones as well. DKOR, I know this may be a little off topic, but as I've specifically created it to share about a great man who died as a Souths fan, I am hoping you can keep it in this forum.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for anyone who has stepped up in a time of need and done their duty to help protect this wonderful country, and the freedoms and liberties that we all too often take for granted.

Tomorrow will be a very special and emotional day for myself. For the first time I will have the dual honour of not only being a participant in an Anzac Day March, but also wearing my Grandfather's medals and representing him.

My Grandfather, Sapper Laurence William John Roche (NX18050), or Pip as I knew him passed away on 12th July last year at the grand old age of 101 years old. Three months later, I had the honour of fulfilling a promise that I made to him on his very last day, by wearing replicas of his medals and laying a wreath at the Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery at El Alamein, Egypt in October last year as part of the 75th Anniversary Commemoration Ceremony of this very significant battle.

That was an extremely emotional day and journey for myself, but I think tomorrow, being my first Anzac Day without him, and wearing his actual medals, whilst marching to honour Him and all those who have served, may well eclipse that day last October.

Pip, was and always will be my hero. It is a given that he was a war hero, but to me he was much much more than that. He was my principal mentor, a humble man of integrity grace, patience and undying faith. He was the most incredible storyteller, and always found time for everyone he encountered, no matter how young or how old, regardless of the colour of their skin or the God that they worshipped. He had an incredible capacity for forgiveness, no matter how badly someone had wronged him. He possessed a remarkable ability that not many of us have to challenge himself to grow and improve himself as a person, even in his final years when his brain was still sharp but strokes had taken his words away.

Pip enlisted in May 1940 and after training embarked for the Middle East in June 1941, arriving a month later. Once there he joined up with the famed Australian 9th Division which also encompassed the surviving Rats of Tobruk (although at this stage they were still under siege). From July-November 1942, The Australian 9th Division served as part of the British 8th Army, initially under General Auchinleck and later under Lieutenant-General Montgomery. There they took on the might of the Panzer Army Africa and the at that stage undefeated Field Marshal Rommel in the First and Second Battles of El Alamein.

On a battlefield tour in October our guide informed me that the Australian 9th Division fired the opening volleys and also the closing shots of the decisive 2nd Battle of El Alamein, which in my opinion was the battle that changed the tide of WWII. Even Churchill was quoted as saying "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning. ".

This Battle was the Allies first major victory on land, and after it they never suffered a major defeat on the ground. The Australian 9th played a crucial part in all of this.

Pip and his mates departed Egypt in January 1943, landing in Sydney a month later. They immediately commenced jungle training on arrival.

After completing this training they left Australia in August 1943, landing at Milne Bay, PNG, three days later.They arrived after the Battle of Milne Bay, as reinforcements to strengthen the Allied base that was being built there.

Pip returned to Australia at the end of May 1944 and married my Nanna less than two weeks later. He was discharged at the end of August 1945.

However, this was only the beginning of his amazing story, and if people are interested I would love to share more at a later date. Although I am sure I have not done Pip's story justice, I must retire now as I have a big day tomorrow.

I would love to hear others share of their own experiences and/or those of their loved ones, as this is something I am very passionate about.

Lest We Forget.

Stan.

Thankyou for starting this thread and for sharing your story about your wonderful grandfather Pip.

And for fulfilling your promise to him. Lest we forget.

southsport

First Grade
My dad was in Rabaul and got home safely, at wars end he bought a speedboat from a NZ serviceman that was returning home, it had a packard straight eight engine and he would tear around Rabaul harbour in it, one day he hit something (reef or turtle he said) and the propellar was broken, the Japanese POWs cast him up a new prop and off he went again. He returned home and as he approached Sydney Heads he said he was braced at the bough of the ship never wanting to leave again!

Dad's brother was a bomber pilot, he flew Lancasters over Europe and was shot down at night (most likely by the tailgunner of another Lancaster), the pilot never wore a parachute and if going down it was the job of another crew member to pin the parachute on the pilot, anyway just as uncle Les gave the order to bail out the wing broke off and he was flailing around in the cockpit with the plane going into a spin, miraculously the canopy broke away and uncle Les found himself in mid-air but he couldn't find the rip-cord (they didn't have enough time to pin the parachute on correctly before the wing snapped off) the parchute was above his head and he estimated that he was down to ten thousand feet when he pulled the parachute down, found the rip-cord and survived the fall. A woman in the underground resistance smuggled him out of Europe.

True heroes my dad and uncle, if onlly I had just as much courage.

ds704-eq-w-w640h480.jpg

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
What an amazing thread, beautifully spoken by everyone.

It truely is a special day for all Austalians and Kiwis, and it makes me very, very proud to be a New Zealander. Without those young men and women who dropped everything to serve, the world would be an incredibly different place and for that, I will be forever greatful.

My Great Uncle, Frank Hooper, and Great Grandad, Jim Andrews, both served in the Pacific Islands during WWII. I don't think Grandad Andrews ever actually saw any action but he was just serving and doing jobs around their base. Uncle Hooper was actually one of the last soldiers to be killed after peace was called and the war was over as their camp was bombed soon after peace was called.

A very special day indeed...

Lest We Forget.

southsport

First Grade
What an amazing thread, beautifully spoken by everyone.

It truely is a special day for all Austalians and Kiwis, and it makes me very, very proud to be a New Zealander. Without those young men and women who dropped everything to serve, the world would be an incredibly different place and for that, I will be forever greatful.

My Great Uncle, Frank Hooper, and Great Grandad, Jim Andrews, both served in the Pacific Islands during WWII. I don't think Grandad Andrews ever actually saw any action but he was just serving and doing jobs around their base. Uncle Hooper was actually one of the last soldiers to be killed after peace was called and the war was over as their camp was bombed soon after peace was called.

A very special day indeed...

Lest We Forget.
A real shame for your uncle callmack, so close, oh so close.

Rabbits20

Immortal
My dad was in Rabaul and got home safely, at wars end he bought a speedboat from a NZ serviceman that was returning home, it had a packard straight eight engine and he would tear around Rabaul harbour in it, one day he hit something (reef or turtle he said) and the propellar was broken, the Japanese POWs cast him up a new prop and off he went again. He returned home and as he approached Sydney Heads he said he was braced at the bough of the ship never wanting to leave again!

Dad's brother was a bomber pilot, he flew Lancasters over Europe and was shot down at night (most likely by the tailgunner of another Lancaster), the pilot never wore a parachute and if going down it was the job of another crew member to pin the parachute on the pilot, anyway just as uncle Les gave the order to bail out the wing broke off and he was flailing around in the cockpit with the plane going into a spin, miraculously the canopy broke away and uncle Les found himself in mid-air but he couldn't find the rip-cord (they didn't have enough time to pin the parachute on correctly before the wing snapped off) the parchute was above his head and he estimated that he was down to ten thousand feet when he pulled the parachute down, found the rip-cord and survived the fall. A woman in the underground resistance smuggled him out of Europe.

True heroes my dad and uncle, if onlly I had just as much courage.

View attachment 19434
Wow Southy what stories!

ThingFish

Juniors
Wonderful and heartbreaking stories. I’m of the generation that owes its gratitude to those who fought to protect future generations from what could have been a very different future.

Sometimes we take what we’ve got for granted, but takes days like these to remind us it was all off the blood, sweat and tears of Allied lives. Lest we forget.A34236F2-3037-45C0-A0B1-B3E0EBF78FD4.jpeg

southsport

First Grade
Wow Southy what stories!
Yeah, the picture of the plane I found online in a google search, I know that it was uncle Les at the controls because he showed me a print of it not long before he died, I remarked to him that it didn't have rolls royce merlin engines and he said that his aircraft had hercules engines and so does the one in the pic. Actually when they were based in the UK during the war they saw that picture in a newspaper and recognised that it was them, they contacted the paper and were sent prints, they were taking off at the time the photo was taken.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
I really wish we played roosters every ANZAC day instead of the dragons. The game looks awesome with a near full house.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I really wish we played roosters every ANZAC day instead of the dragons. The game looks awesome with a near full house.

Atmosphere looked great on tv. Our Good Friday clash should be more like that tbh. In recent years though because we’ve been struggling our numbers have dropped significantly.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
The stadium wouldn’t even be half full with those numbers.
ANZ is a f**king hole lol.

Yeah, it’s a shame to say but Allianz is a much better stadium than ANZ. To be honest though the Dragons faithful really made it work. The Stadium looked dominated by St George supporters and it was an away game on a public holiday.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yeah, it’s a shame to say but Allianz is a much better stadium than ANZ. To be honest though the Dragons faithful really made it work. The Stadium looked dominated by St George supporters and it was an away game on a public holiday.
I prefer ANZ. I've said that many times ahahaha

Latest posts