What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

APL to Benefit Storm

In-goal

Bench
With talk of an Australian Premier League for soccer and new clubs in Melbourne and Sydney, maybe this could be the catalyst for the first rectangular sports stadium in Victoria.

I think if the government were to build something similar to the KC in Hull or the JJB in Wigan would be perfect capacity around 25-30,000.

Genghis Chan

Juniors
A rectangle stadium with decent in goal and closer to the action would be fantastic, but not too sure having a 30,000 capacity Stadium would be good. Would lessen the effects a home crowd can have on a team as extremely unlikely that the ground would ever be filled before the Final Series comes around, and when that happens we only got to play one of our 3 games there. (Only 3 games because as long as the top 8 remains, we will always be getting a weeks break between our first and second finals match. :D )

Better to have a full 20,000 stadium than a half-full 30,000 stadium.

In-goal said:
With talk of an Australian Premier League for soccer and new clubs in Melbourne and Sydney, maybe this could be the catalyst for the first rectangular sports stadium in Victoria.

I think if the government were to build something similar to the KC in Hull or the JJB in Wigan would be perfect capacity around 25-30,000.
Would be great but don't hold your breath.

Particually with the Bracks Gov't

joshreading

Staff member
Maybe instead of the constant rumours of merging with collingwood maybe the Storm should from some sort of co-operative with one of the Soccer teams. Help each other to build a decent stadium. Widen the appeal of each club. etc.

Alan Shore

First Grade
joshreading said:
Maybe instead of the constant rumours of merging with collingwood maybe the Storm should from some sort of co-operative with one of the Soccer teams. Help each other to build a decent stadium. Widen the appeal of each club. etc.

We could capture the large community of Greeks and Italians then.

The Bracks Govt is a AFL Govt. Kennett was going to upgrade Oly Park before we got a-Brick-a-Brack and a special AFL Minister. They all point to Colonial Stadium.

olympic park

Juniors
Tamazoid said:
The Bracks Govt is a AFL Govt. Kennett was going to upgrade Oly Park before we got a-Brick-a-Brack and a special AFL Minister. They all point to Colonial Stadium.

yes they are, and in my opinion theyre also a stupid government!

colonial stadium was designed to be a rectangle stadium and everyone was happy with that. but then the AFL decided that they would like it to become oval-shaped so they could play their game on the ground - hence why sunlight doesnt hit all parts of the grass and why the turf has to be replaced every few weeks!

there is plenty of space at docklands still (i dont believe all these outrageous projects will go ahead anyway) and a 20-25K rectangle stadium is obviously the way to go. you would get the following sports played there:
RL: melbourne storm matches, some VRL matches
RU: some VRU matches, stepping stone for a super-12 franchise in melbourne
soccer: NSL (soon to become APL) matches (melbourne knights definitely, sth melb possibly as they are still very close to the city with their stadium at albert park lake), VSL matches

if the stadium is built so that the capacity can be expanded easily this is the logical way to go! i'm all for building a new stadium but the government won't do it because it threatens the existance of their stupid little football code! if they think its so good why has it not caught on anywhere else in the world???

Craig

Juniors
I would rather us have our own venue, owned and run by the Storm. Have a leagues club on the end of it or near it (like over the road) so it could fund it.

Face it, put gaming machines, a pub, a plenty of places to eat in it, and you have the first steps to pay it off. As people will always gamble, drink and eat.

And we can name the stands after some of our greatest ever players.

The only problem would be the location.

In-goal

Bench
Yes i don't know why they didn't build a leagues club first as they make squilians.

Like the idea of naming the stands.

Latest posts