What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple TV & NRL App

Diesel

Referee
Does anyone know if you can watch the app through Apple TV by AirPlay? I can get the sound but no audio. I can screen mirror the iPad or iPhone but as soon as I play a video on the app, the TV goes blank/black and the iPad lags or stops

nöyd

Staff member
The Foxtel Go app doesn't allow playing through airplay or chromecast, so I dare say the NRL app is not going to work either.

McLovin

Staff member
It was possible last year. Not sure now though, haven't tried it...

Can't do it.

Only way you can watch the NRL or Foxtel go app on a tv is to download the ap to a pc or Mac and connect the computer to your tv via a hdmi cable.

Binga

Juniors
There was a little glitch last year where I could do it for a few games, but otherwise it isn't meant to work due to licensing agreement with Foxtel and channel 9 who have the Tv rights. You can do it with all replays though.

Diesel

Referee
Is anyone using the app on the iPhone 7? It's chewing my battery this year and also on my iPad, any ideas if there are notifications running in the background or upgrades to the app causing this issue?

Pommy

Coach
Does anyone know if you have a free subscription with telstra you can view game son a laptop on home wifi? My wife is with telstra but its a pain having to borrow her phone.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Does anyone know if you have a free subscription with telstra you can view game son a laptop on home wifi? My wife is with telstra but its a pain having to borrow her phone.

Not sure, but I'd guess so. The only ones you can't view on a laptop are when you sign up for the service through the app on a phone, but you should be able to log in with your Telstra ID on the website.
There's an easy workaround to get full screen playback on a laptop too, set your browser to full screen and use the laptops screen zoom mode to zoom the picture in to full screen. Unfortunately though they've crippled it so you can't output the picture to your TV via any means I know of.

Gotta say though the NRL web interface for vowing live games is an absolute dog of a thing.

Pommy

Coach
Not sure, but I'd guess so. The only ones you can't view on a laptop are when you sign up for the service through the app on a phone, but you should be able to log in with your Telstra ID on the website.
There's an easy workaround to get full screen playback on a laptop too, set your browser to full screen and use the laptops screen zoom mode to zoom the picture in to full screen. Unfortunately though they've crippled it so you can't output the picture to your TV via any means I know of.

Gotta say though the NRL web interface for vowing live games is an absolute dog of a thing.

I will give it a go this weekend
Going to see if I hook my tv up via HDMI if it works. It normally just acts as a second monitor so I don't think they can cripple it that bad, although I could be wrong.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I will give it a go this weekend
Going to see if I hook my tv up via HDMI if it works. It normally just acts as a second monitor so I don't think they can cripple it that bad, although I could be wrong.

I'm afraid your out of luck there mate. They've specifically crippled it so it wont play on external monitors, it doesn't work at all on desktop PCs. On my laptop as soon as I plug in the HDMI cable to the TV the stream dies. Last year it used to work if I had the TV set to mirror the laptop display, this year they seem to have even crippled that.

Pommy

Coach
I'm afraid your out of luck there mate. They've specifically crippled it so it wont play on external monitors, it doesn't work at all on desktop PCs. On my laptop as soon as I plug in the HDMI cable to the TV the stream dies. Last year it used to work if I had the TV set to mirror the laptop display, this year they seem to have even crippled that.

The only hope I have then is that I'm a mac user and they might not have thought it was was worth the hassle of changing the code.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The only hope I have then is that I'm a mac user and they might not have thought it was was worth the hassle of changing the code.

I hate to be a party pooper but so am I.

However at the moment I'm using a MacBook Air and last year when mirroring was working for me it was with an older MacBook Pro- so you might get some joy depending on what model you're running. But the fun police have done a pretty good job in it I'm afraid!

Incorrect

Coach
If you want to see a decent display size while watching on a laptop, do what I do

stock-photo-young-businessman-sitting-at-his-desk-searching-through-magnifying-glass-in-front-of-computer-274479008.jpg

Diesel

Referee
Has the screen gotten smaller in the last few weeks? On an iPad or iPhone is only taking up 3/4 of the screen at most

Mong

Post Whore
I watch live games off the nrl app via air play and through the Apple TV all the time, I don't get a completely full screen but everything else works perfectly.

Bretto

Bench
So are there any work arounds for this at all? I ditched my Foxtel this year cause the Sports HD package went up to $65/m - stuff that. Is there any other way to watch the games that aren't broadcast on FTA? I'm happy to pay, just not $65/m...