What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Penrith a writeoff in 2017?

ed-grimley

Bench
Let's just say they recognise how much they rely on the NSW clubs to support the comp...

I mean, they chucked the toys out of the cot once and had a whole season in their own playpen and look at how popular that was.
They're too soft to allow a second team in Brisbane so they have to shift the attention away.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Lets not shit the bed yet. The season's barely at the halfway point.
If we can't win the next 2 then you can make a mess.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Let's just say they recognise how much they rely on the NSW clubs to support the comp...

I mean, they chucked the toys out of the cot once and had a whole season in their own playpen and look at how popular that was.
get over it you bitch. also without the broncos the broadcast rights drop by about 60 mil a season

justdave

Juniors
And wrong. I think you'll find a lot of followers can't stand the Broncs on the box every time on a Friday night

I always thought a lot of Queenslanders also liked/loved/followed the old NSWRL teams, so teams like Souths, Manly, Dogs, Roosters and Dragons had some pretty good support up there.

Todd Hoffman

Juniors
I was always of the understanding Kite came to Penrith on close to the minimum wage.

Nope. From what I can remember he got a very healthy deal for soon to be 33 year old prop with the promise of a job in coaching at the end of that deal.

OldPanther

Coach
Wasn't Gould's plan to remove the guys on big contracts and build a team?
Now he's got useless hacks (Merrin, Tamou and to a lesser extent, Moylan) on huge contracts that don't deserve to be fed.

Moylan is a damn good player. Behind a shit forward pack he's still getting try line break assists along with some of the better halves in the game.

pantherz9103

First Grade
If we beat Knights then the top 8 hopes will still be flickering going into the origin, but there's no way we're a title threat after this start. Teams simply don't contend with 3 and 7 starts...

While I want to see Penrith be a regular finals club at some stage in my life.. a 7th or 8th place might paper over the cracks and save Griffin's job. He'll surely get the boot if we come bottom 4 or 5.

some11

Referee
eipugIu.jpg

davi

Juniors
Their won 10 out of their last 12 (I think?), and now have a shot for a top four spot that would be unthinkable a couple of months ago. I still don't think Anthony Griffin will ever please his critics, when their losing people will call for his head and when their winning they will suggest he's Mal Menniga at the right place at the right time.

He's stuffed either way.

He deserves credit for getting the combos right, and he's called some players up (Tyrone May, Dylan Edwards) when they have had injuries and done well to bring them into first grade and get them playing well.

Last edited:

pantherz9103

First Grade
The spot in the 8 isn't even 100% assured yet but with the winning form we're in we should be confident and back ourselves to win the next two games which might, if we're lucky snag 4th spot.

I've been a strong critic of Griffin but you'd have to give him some credit for backing our young players, not only the likes of Cleary but also Edwards, May and Katoa. With a team with so many local juniors they have a winning attitude and know how to win the close games even while not always playing that well.

Nealo 12

Bench
Poor old Tommy Smith must be beside himself trying to think of reasons why we shouldn't be in the finals :joy: