What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are teams lifting as they realise we are the real deal

The Damo

Juniors
A couple of questions for you
  1. Are we going as good as we earlier in the season?
  2. If we continue to play as we have in recent weeks will it be good enough to make an impression at semi final time?
  3. Are there any obvious changes that can be made to enhance our team and if so what are they?
1. No
2. No. Semi’s are a long way off. If we play at even 90% of the standard we’ve shown were capable of then we’ve a good shot vs anyone.
3. Drop nighty from the team. Either have Lawrie/Sele on bench instead. Or bring Herbert onto the wing and Mann back to bench.

Question for you - given that our competition is the other teams in the Comp is it not logical to apply standards for our team to others in order to get an accurate view of our standing? Or is that being an apologist?

Old Timer

Coach
1. No
2. No. Semi’s are a long way off. If we play at even 90% of the standard we’ve shown were capable of then we’ve a good shot vs anyone.
3. Drop nighty from the team. Either have Lawrie/Sele on bench instead. Or bring Herbert onto the wing and Mann back to bench.

Question for you - given that our competition is the other teams in the Comp is it not logical to apply standards for our team to others in order to get an accurate view of our standing? Or is that being an apologist?
If we aren’t going as well as we should be and people know it to be a fact but insist that it is ok because we are winning and ignoring the obvious that is being an apologist
Re applying standards I am not 100% familiar with the other teams injuries, selection issues, in form out of form players but I am aware that it has been mentioned and lauded as to how good that is that we have no injuries and have picked almost the exact same team every single week.
In light of that I do apply a slightly different logic to how I assess our performances
If our coach wants to stick his neck out in his media appearances then I am most happy to judge him and the team in light of those statements
To be perfectly honest if Mc Fookknuckle had some humility and dignity about him I might be a little more fore giving but I consider him shameless and pig ignorant and judge him and the team accordingly.

Frank Facer

First Grade
If we are the contenders that people want to talk us to being then surely we should be putting rabble teams to the sword?
In recent years we always look better early in the season than we do in the back end of the season and I believe that after all this time Mc Fookknuckle should be able to get us firing against shit sides and do a number on them especially when we slip away to a handy lead early in the game.
Do you really believe falling over the line against shit teams is going to enhance our prospects against the quality sides?
We were overachieving in the first half of 2015 and 2017. We now have a better team than we did those years. We may be still overachieving this year too. lol Time will tell.

The Damo

Juniors
If we aren’t going as well as we should be and people know it to be a fact but insist that it is ok because we are winning and ignoring the obvious that is being an apologist
Re applying standards I am not 100% familiar with the other teams injuries, selection issues, in form out of form players but I am aware that it has been mentioned and lauded as to how good that is that we have no injuries and have picked almost the exact same team every single week.
In light of that I do apply a slightly different logic to how I assess our performances
If our coach wants to stick his neck out in his media appearances then I am most happy to judge him and the team in light of those statements
To be perfectly honest if Mc Fookknuckle had some humility and dignity about him I might be a little more fore giving but I consider him shameless and pig ignorant and judge him and the team accordingly.
Okie dokie. I don’t watch much of him but I’d Be interested to hear the example of him sticking his neck out this year?

Also will you alter your standard for contenders now you know that precisely zero teams meet it?
Seeing as how we’re judging people in light of their statements, and knowing how you value humility and dignity that would be an admirable admission don’t you think?

I have been watching a few interviews lately from players on other teams.

Trent Merrin was pumped that Penrith got over the top of us. He said Penrith prepared all week as if it was a finals game.

I am thinking Souths and Warriors approached their games against us in the same way.

We appear to be approaching each game as just another game in a long season.

Could mean that provided we don’t suffer any major injuries that we will be seriously in the Hunt (no pun intended) at seasons end.
I think we have to expect that opposition coaches will devise tactics to nullify our strengths.
Souths have shown the others the blue print.
This is where we need to adapt and evolve as a team so we don't become predictable.
Teams still targeting our left edge even now that Nightingale is not the mainstay.
The biggest defensive problem se have there is Aitkin/Frizzell combination.
Nighty/Mann were great defending in tandem but for some poor options from Trobojevic, we could easily have conceded 2-3 tries on the side.

Old Timer

Coach
Okie dokie. I don’t watch much of him but I’d Be interested to hear the example of him sticking his neck out this year?

Also will you alter your standard for contenders now you know that precisely zero teams meet it?
Seeing as how we’re judging people in light of their statements, and knowing how you value humility and dignity that would be an admirable admission don’t you think?
I don’t support other teams so I therefore have no real expectations or standards for them I merely observe and note their performances and expect my team to do better than them.
The contenders tag comes from a teams position on the ladder and the form they are displaying so saying I think that no teams meet the criteria is a bit ridiculous on your part.
I merely assert that all the hype and talking up in this place about us being contenders needs to be objectively looked at and our deficiencies noted and acted upon.
Although not seeing all of last nights game I do note that we put a score on Manly so therefore I accept that something has changed for the better and all concerned should be congratulated.
In saying that I therefore reserve the right to comment accordingly when the team doesn’t play well even if it wins.
Some in here think that a win automatically diminishes the right for anyone to post any constructive advice or criticism which is where this conversation really started.

The Damo

Juniors
[QUOTE="Old Timer, post: 12963298, member: 43798
The contenders tag comes from a teams position on the ladder and the form they are displaying so saying I think that no teams meet the criteria is a bit ridiculous on your part.
.[/QUOTE]
Well you did say
“If we are the contenders that people want to talk us to being then surely we should be putting rabble teams to the sword?”
I observed that zero teams have consistently put rabble teams to the sword, so if you apply that statement equally then no team should be talked up as contenders.
But hey - we’re all fans, and passionate ones. It’s a forum, we’re all free to critique and talk up the team, or to call others apologists, or to call others criticisms ill founded.

But 6 tries to 1, our players didn’t look fatigued or injured, we’ve got plenty to look forward to I think.

Old Timer

Coach
[QUOTE="Old Timer, post: 12963298, member: 43798
Well you did say
“If we are the contenders that people want to talk us to being then surely we should be putting rabble teams to the sword?”
I observed that zero teams have consistently put rabble teams to the sword, so if you apply that statement equally then no team should be talked up as contenders.
But hey - we’re all fans, and passionate ones. It’s a forum, we’re all free to critique and talk up the team, or to call others apologists, or to call others criticisms ill founded.

But 6 tries to 1, our players didn’t look fatigued or injured, we’ve got plenty to look forward to I think.[/QUOTE]
My point is that in recent seasons we have played quite well against good sides and in fact done a number several of them which has given hope of further success and then we faltered against lesser teams by losing to them or just falling over the line.
If StGI (the emphasis on StGI) are to be real contenders then IMO we (emphasis on we) need to be winning well against shit teams as that does oodles for our (emphasis on our) confidence, state of mind and in previous seasons that has been a problem.
Just maybe for other teams that is not a major issue but it certainly has been for us.
If we are to just fall over the line or in fact lose to the shit teams IMO the lingering doubts about us being really competitive at the business end of the season remain to close to the surface.
The best way for our team to bury negativity or complacency is to win in good style as we did last night.

SEAT 1A

Bench
If the Titans can flog the Dogs yes, the Dogs were up for us.

Saying that, if a team lets one of their best players go half way through a season. What's a player going to think, am I next? It has to effect their performance.

Manly were up for the first half however, couldn't go on with it.

giboz71

First Grade
I don’t support other teams so I therefore have no real expectations or standards for them I merely observe and note their performances and expect my team to do better than them.
I merely assert that all the hype and talking up in this place about us being contenders needs to be objectively looked at and our deficiencies noted and acted upon.
Although not seeing all of last nights game I do note that we put a score on Manly so therefore I accept that something has changed for the better and all concerned should be congratulated.
In saying that I therefore reserve the right to comment accordingly when the team doesn’t play well even if it wins.
Some in here think that a win automatically diminishes the right for anyone to post any constructive advice or criticism which is where this conversation really started.

Mate I’m happy to be objective about hyping up our team, if conversely posters who continuously death ride us after a loss or a bad performance are equally objective. This rarely if ever happens. The “Sack McGregor” thread goes into overdrive any time we’re not playing well, despite us being 1st the whole year.