What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the Cowboys?

Pedge1971

First Grade
Most definitely. They are only getting away with what is not being policed. Good on them for doing it(others have tried but can’t sustain it), shame on them for doing it(it’s doesn’t enhance the game).

Agree. Last night was a high quality game but nit entertaining in the slightest. Storms dominance whilst impressive takes a lot if enjoyment out of the game.

Hard to like them.

big hit!

Bench
the biggest travel burden in the league...on the road 4 consecutive weeks...a game where they'd likely struggle was coming. i thought it would be against sydney last week, but they got through that. i always thought that the game would be close, or a flogging against the cowboys. i'd say coming down wednesday and f**king up the routine probably didn't help them.

as the 8th placed team, they probably shouldn't have been there but they defeated the 5th, 4th & 2nd seed teams in consecutive weeks on the road to earn the right. hell of an effort.

t-ba

Post Whore
Storm 08 were terrible

2008+NRL+Grand+Final+Sea+Eagles+v+Storm+ek0zh3jYrbzl.jpg

anjado

Juniors
I think it is too early to call the Cowboys the worst Grand Finalists the likes of Morgan, Hess and others could become top quality players in a few years which would make them look better. I have listed every Grand Final team i thought had no chance of winning the Grand Final before it was played with the exception of Parramatta in 2009 who i thought they were half a chance and Canterbury in 2012 because the 1998 and 2014 teams were clearly inferior.

1. Michael Potter
2. Ricky Walford
3. Mark Coyne
4. Michael Beattie
5. Ian Herron
6. Peter Coyne
7. Noel Goldthorpe
8. Tony Priddle
9. Wayne Collins
10. Neil Tierney
11. David Barnhill
12. Scott Gourley
13. Jeff Hardy

14. Brad Mackay
15. Tony Smith
16. Rex Terp
17. Matthew Elliott

1. Dean Raper
2. Nick Zisti
3. Mark Coyne
4. Adrian Brunker
5. Mark Bell
6. Anthony Mundine
7. Noel Goldthorpe
8. Troy Stone
9. Jeff Hardy
10. Luke Felsch
11. Kevin Campion
12. Scott Gourley
13. Wayne Bartrim

14. David Barnhill
15. Lance Thompson
16. Colin Ward
17. Nathan Brown

1. Rod Silva
2. Gavin Lester
3. Willie Talau
4. Shane Marteene
5. Daryl Halligan
6. Craig Polla-Mounter
7. Corey Hughes
8. Darren Britt
9. Jason Hetherington
10. Steve Price
11. Robert Relf
12. Tony Grimaldi
13. Travis Norton

14. Glen Hughes
15. Steve Reardon
16. Troy Stone
17. David Thompson

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Luke Burt
3. Krisnan Inu
4. Joel Reddy
5. Eric Grothe
6. Daniel Mortimer
7. Jeff Robson
8. Nathan Cayless
9. Matthew Keating
10. Fuifui Moimoi
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Ben Smith
13. Todd Lowrie

14. Kevin Kingston
15. Feleti Mateo
16. Joe Galuvao
17. Tim Mannah

1. Sam Perrett
2. Corey Thompson
3. Josh Morris
4. Tim Lafai
5. Mitch Brown
6. Josh Reynolds
7. Trent Hodgkinson
8. Aiden Tolman
9. Moses Mbye
10. James Graham
11. Josh Jackson
12. Tony Williams
13. Greg Eastwood

14. Tim Browne
15. Dale Finucane
16. David Klemmer
17. Frank Pritchard

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Justin O'Neill
4. Kane Linnett
5. Antonio Winterstein
6. Te Maire Martin
7. Michael Morgan
8. Shaun Fensom
9. Jake Granville
10. Scott Bolton
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Ethan Lowe
13. Jason Taumalolo

14. John Asiata
15. Ben Hampton
16. Coen Hess
17. Corey Jensen

The Cowboys have the best spine of all those teams in my opinion, The one thing about all these teams is that their outside backs look really uninspiring and would struggle to score points. The forward packs for the most part look pretty decent on paper.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Don't get the bagging of the 2009 Eels. They were a good side who exploded into some players at career best form during their late season run incl FuiFui and Mortimer.

Its club football - plenty of crap halves have won premierships.

Life's Good

Coach
I think it is too early to call the Cowboys the worst Grand Finalists the likes of Morgan, Hess and others could become top quality players in a few years which would make them look better. I have listed every Grand Final team i thought had no chance of winning the Grand Final before it was played with the exception of Parramatta in 2009 who i thought they were half a chance and Canterbury in 2012 because the 1998 and 2014 teams were clearly inferior.

1. Michael Potter
2. Ricky Walford
3. Mark Coyne
4. Michael Beattie
5. Ian Herron
6. Peter Coyne
7. Noel Goldthorpe
8. Tony Priddle
9. Wayne Collins
10. Neil Tierney
11. David Barnhill
12. Scott Gourley
13. Jeff Hardy

14. Brad Mackay
15. Tony Smith
16. Rex Terp
17. Matthew Elliott

1. Dean Raper
2. Nick Zisti
3. Mark Coyne
4. Adrian Brunker
5. Mark Bell
6. Anthony Mundine
7. Noel Goldthorpe
8. Troy Stone
9. Jeff Hardy
10. Luke Felsch
11. Kevin Campion
12. Scott Gourley
13. Wayne Bartrim

14. David Barnhill
15. Lance Thompson
16. Colin Ward
17. Nathan Brown

1. Rod Silva
2. Gavin Lester
3. Willie Talau
4. Shane Marteene
5. Daryl Halligan
6. Craig Polla-Mounter
7. Corey Hughes
8. Darren Britt
9. Jason Hetherington
10. Steve Price
11. Robert Relf
12. Tony Grimaldi
13. Travis Norton

14. Glen Hughes
15. Steve Reardon
16. Troy Stone
17. David Thompson

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Luke Burt
3. Krisnan Inu
4. Joel Reddy
5. Eric Grothe
6. Daniel Mortimer
7. Jeff Robson
8. Nathan Cayless
9. Matthew Keating
10. Fuifui Moimoi
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Ben Smith
13. Todd Lowrie

14. Kevin Kingston
15. Feleti Mateo
16. Joe Galuvao
17. Tim Mannah

1. Sam Perrett
2. Corey Thompson
3. Josh Morris
4. Tim Lafai
5. Mitch Brown
6. Josh Reynolds
7. Trent Hodgkinson
8. Aiden Tolman
9. Moses Mbye
10. James Graham
11. Josh Jackson
12. Tony Williams
13. Greg Eastwood

14. Tim Browne
15. Dale Finucane
16. David Klemmer
17. Frank Pritchard

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Justin O'Neill
4. Kane Linnett
5. Antonio Winterstein
6. Te Maire Martin
7. Michael Morgan
8. Shaun Fensom
9. Jake Granville
10. Scott Bolton
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Ethan Lowe
13. Jason Taumalolo

14. John Asiata
15. Ben Hampton
16. Coen Hess
17. Corey Jensen

The Cowboys have the best spine of all those teams in my opinion, The one thing about all these teams is that their outside backs look really uninspiring and would struggle to score points. The forward packs for the most part look pretty decent on paper.
Niel Tierney(prop)tried a chip through from dummy half on the try line in the 92 GF. Very Carige like.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Don't get the bagging of the 2009 Eels. They were a good side who exploded into some players at career best form during their late season run incl FuiFui and Mortimer.

They were absolutely terrible,don't try and make out the Storm's narrow win to be better than it actually was biatch

Parra missed the top 8 the following year which proves my point that they were a joke

Haynetrain 1
Mouse Input LAG 0

Vic Mackey

Referee
Bulldogs 2014
-Finished 7th, most of the season looked nailed on for a 5th-8th finish
week 1 of finals they beat the weakest Storm side in 15 years
week 2 they barely beat a Manly team that was good for the first two thirds of the season and by the finals was on a hard downswing
week 3 they beat an inexperienced Panthers team who seemed overwhelmed by the occasion (who somehow knocked the Roosters off a fortnight prior, putting the 2 contenders on the other side of the draw to the Dogs)
Grand final, completely pasted by the Bunnies.

Parra in 09 are a shout too, although they were garbage for half a season and very good the second half of the season.

Yeah agree

In 2014 IMO souths, easts and the cowboys were the 3 best teams yet they ended up on the same side of the draw after the panthers upset the roosters in week 1. That then left 3 fairly weak sides (panthers, dogs, eagles) on the other.

Apey

Staff member
Oh so in both 2014 and 2017 Roosters helped cause a dud final matchup by choking to a team supposedly worse than them? Sounds like they would have been the ones to challenge Storm for sure.

Vee

First Grade
Cowboys weren’t the second best side, not even close. They just got on a roll at the right time playing their simple mistake free game but others would have made for a more even GF.
Everyone's got 20/20 hindsight.

Vee

First Grade
It’s a very flawed concept, having a 26 round competition and then you have a totally separate knockout competition over a month to decide the winner.

It means you often won’t get the two best sides in the GF and that what happened this year. It was 1st vs 8th, that says it all.
The Butthurt is strong in this one.

papabear

Juniors
tbh the scoreline flattered the cows.

Melbourne got their first penalty after 56 minutes.

The difference in performance was more a 50-0 walloping but every decision went the cows way, one time a storm bloke made a break.. tried to get up twice pulled down, no penalty it was laughable.

And to think green complained about the refs getting in the way of his muppets missing tackles, good on them for getting that far, but when your the weaker team you atleast have to be more enthusiastic.

They were garbage for two thirds of the season, they hit form at the right time and managed to sneak into 8th and went from there. Even then their form was based on Hayne going in to god mode and a few other players playing very well. The fact they didn't get near the finals for the next 5 years says a lot about that team.

Travitoh

First Grade
This years premiership was always Melbourne's to lose and it wouldn't have mattered who they played last night, no one was beating them.