What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are The Dragons Relocating?

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
They are probably the most well supported club in Sydney, if not the whole league. They are certainly the most well known.
Does anybody remember 2009-2012? Dragons supporters were everywhere, they filled stadiums no matter where they played.

Yes they are a complete basketcase right now but when they sort their shit out the crowds will be back. Every club goes through it.

Moving them would be complete madness, the same goes for any club.

taipan

Referee
They are probably the most well supported club in Sydney, if not the whole league. They are certainly the most well known.
Does anybody remember 2009-2012? Dragons supporters were everywhere, they filled stadiums no matter where they played.

Yes they are a complete basketcase right now but when they sort their shit out the crowds will be back. Every club goes through it.

Moving them would be complete madness, the same goes for any club.

Think that's a fair point.The 3 main drawing clubs in this city are Souths,Dragons and Parramatta.
Parramatta were still winning despite being docked points and no chance of the semis,their crowds remained fairly solid.
The Dragons have a huge fan base,play at 3 venues,this year playing an awful brand of football,and down the ladder.Their fans responded accordingly.I have no doubt if the Dragons had been playing the Storm in the G/F with a decent brand of football,they would have sold out the G/F easily.

Fans can take so much,and want change in the way they play and their personnel.Moving the Dragons would be another gift to GWS and the Swans.They need admin restructure and an attacking style of football.

The Dragons brand is indeed one of the most recognised football brands in this country.We are not the USA,where a club can change its home base.

Last edited:

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I woudnt relocate the Dragons anywhere. However I would move there base of operations to Wollongong and play the majority of there games there. 2 in Kograh and maybe 1 or 2 may sound harsh but Wollongong is a huge growth area and presents a point of difference from the other Sydney clubs. They can still wear the red V and have St George In the name but they should really aim to become Wollongong team.

I see something very similar with the Wests Tigers who should move to Campbeltown/Liverpool full time and play a couple of games at Leichhardt with the majority at Campbeltown for the same reasons

RoosTah

Juniors
I woudnt relocate the Dragons anywhere. However I would move there base of operations to Wollongong and play the majority of there games there. 2 in Kograh and maybe 1 or 2 may sound harsh but Wollongong is a huge growth area and presents a point of difference from the other Sydney clubs. They can still wear the red V and have St George In the name but they should really aim to become Wollongong team.

I see something very similar with the Wests Tigers who should move to Campbeltown/Liverpool full time and play a couple of games at Leichhardt with the majority at Campbeltown for the same reasons
Yeah, this seems the most obvious solution. The Illawarra is a growth region and strategically it makes sense for them to be based out of there full time.

I wouldn't worry about playing games at kogorah though - those old grounds should really be let go and Sydney based Saints fans will still have plenty of opportunity to see them in Sydney.

Diesel

Referee
I can't say I'm surprised but the Dragons & Tigers should be based at Wollongong & Campbelltown respectively and play the 2 home games at either SFS or suburban ground (Kogarah or Leichhardt).

Sydney fans are lucky where they don't have to see their team play at home to watch their games like the other 7 non-Sydney clubs do.

If I, for example want to watch a NRL game in Brisbane I have to sit through a f**king Broncos game. To have the luxury of another Brisbane based team would encourage me, and many other non-Broncos fans of going to watch more NRL

Teddyboy

First Grade
It doesn't help the image of the sport where stadium grounds get upgraded but then end up having less games as the team moves around venues ?
Dragons should have one ground and that should be Wollongong...same as West Tigers.

Pommy

Coach
It doesn't help the image of the sport where stadium grounds get upgraded but then end up having less games as the team moves around venues ?
Dragons should have one ground and that should be Wollongong...same as West Tigers.

Why would tigers play in Wollongong?

Pommy

Coach
No I meant West Tigers stay in either Campbelltown or Leichhardt.

I was joking and it should be Campbelltown. That area has so much growth the NRL should be doing everything it can to make sure RL has a huge foothold. Much of the population isn't typical Anglo Australians and the NRL shouldn't just assume because it's Sydney they will be top dog.
They may well be top dog but they need to ensure that they are.

Teddyboy

First Grade
I was joking and it should be Campbelltown. That area has so much growth the NRL should be doing everything it can to make sure RL has a huge foothold. Much of the population isn't typical Anglo Australians and the NRL shouldn't just assume because it's Sydney they will be top dog.
They may well be top dog but they need to ensure that they are.
Ahh right ...on a sort of different note you see the WSW Soccer try hard's saying 60000 for a proper Football derby yet if Sydney had 4 NRL teams expect the same crowds at ANZ and sell out out's at the SFS.
RL is the best game in the world and I love it to bit's be it now bit more so past but just wish it could get it right all the time.

Pommy

Coach
You can't knock WSW and SFC for what they have done. They've carved out a place in this cities sporting landscape for themselves with what is a very poor standard of football. It will be interesting to see which way the crowds head when the third Sydney side is founded. They need to go to 12 sides soon and a side in cronolla is looking very likely.

alien

Referee
You can't knock WSW and SFC for what they have done. They've carved out a place in this cities sporting landscape for themselves with what is a very poor standard of football. It will be interesting to see which way the crowds head when the third Sydney side is founded. They need to go to 12 sides soon and a side in cronolla is looking very likely.

Third Sydney A League team = Liverpool Macarthur ;)