What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the Dragons the stupid club?

Lovemedragons

Juniors
firstly, as my nickname suggests I am a Dragons tragic of many many years. More and more however I am seeing my club make stupid calls which belies the cleverness in its long and successful heritage. For example

- Keeping on a CEO for so long is plain stupid, particularly as he is no Frank Facer. Times change, younger blood is needed but we keep this bloke in charge? Changing him out will reset the direction of the club overnight and successful businesses and clubs do it regularly.
- failing to retain key players, such as Dugan and Packer who are the sort of players that win premierships. Bloody mindedness stupidity in declaring your position and not recognising you have to shift to keep what you have already invested so much in. Have no doubt this saga is impacting our form the most atm.
- giving away home ground games, Dont care about the guarantees, get the money from somewhere else - in football home ground advantage matters in many ways.
- re signing McGregor now instead of making him prove he is a fair dinkum coach by making the top 4. No other team was chasing him, the club owes him nothing we have been paying him more than he is worth for years now. Repeating the exact same errors of the past (Price resigning)
- completely ignoring the massive potential we have in younger local players whilst sticking with rejects from other clubs. I still have not got over Bird leaving, never will and if we lose players like Dufty and Luciano without ever giving them a shot, we are stupid.

And lots more...tell me we are not stupid!

Pro Dragons

Juniors
The administration is STUPID and the fans know exactly how inept the board is. It was STUPID to signed Hunt at the expense of Dugan and Packer. They have traded two for one. Hunt has not played SOO or for Australia. He has not recaptured his 2014 form and has been dropped from first grade. He does seem to be of good character and will be a good ambassador for the club but to lose Dugan and Packer for Hunt is STUPID.

Old Timer

Coach
The administration is STUPID and the fans know exactly how inept the board is. It was STUPID to signed Hunt at the expense of Dugan and Packer. They have traded two for one. Hunt has not played SOO or for Australia. He has not recaptured his 2014 form and has been dropped from first grade. He does seem to be of good character and will be a good ambassador for the club but to lose Dugan and Packer for Hunt is STUPID.
Agree with almost all your post but unfortunately many of the fans don't know how inept the board is
People openly accepted McFookknuckle's new contract, others said he deserved it others openly applauded it.
The board delivered us a poison chalice and many happily drank from it,

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
As many have said .............

When Price won a couple of early season games, the club resigned him early on which proved detrimental.

So after watching McGregor have a good early season, in their wisdom, they re-sign Mary without him proving himself, yet again.
Without learning from the Price situation, without learning from Mary already having mimicked the 2015 season start ................. now looks like season ending as well.

Yes, they are not only stupid but they need to be held accountable for their inept management practices.

Split Enz sang about, History Never Repeats itself.
I say bullsh!t!

monsterkev

Juniors
Y
You have failed to do your homework on Ben hunt
Fact he has played for Australia on 3 occasions and based on the half we have now hunt is a excellent signing as this position is amongst our weakest

So after watching McGregor have a good early season, in their wisdom, they re-sign Mary without him proving himself, yet again.
Without learning from the Price situation, without learning from Mary already having mimicked the 2015 season start ................. now looks like season ending as well.

It's not about learning from previous lessons but taking every opportunity to maintain a job for the boys.

Snouts in the trough.

Objective View

Last edited:

hewi

Bench
In the case of Macgregor he should have been given a two year exstension subject to making the eight or possibly top four, not as pointed out above like Price just extended. He was just a disaster that bloke.

possm

Coach
Mess is a better description. Management know what they are doing - lining their pockets at the expense of disgruntled fans and disappointed sponsors.
Mary is happy he has his two year extension.
Players are happy, they have their upgrades.
Dugan, Packer, Milne and maybe Mann are happy their on their way.

Possm's not happy because he really doesn't like a MESS.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes , Lovemedragons , we undoubtedly are . Without going into what has been previously said about this - it all starts at the very top of the tree and then descends all the way through the club and finally to the players themselves .

I cannot believe that we find ourselves in the same situation as the team had been in for the last 2 years . By that I am referring to the manner in which we are now playing - we have gone back to our bad old ways , so disheartening to say the least . And to make matters worse , with McGregor being resigned for yet another contract , unbelievable , just unbelievable !

The Titans , Parramatta , Tigers and to a lesser extent the Knights , have all taken steps to rectify the problems within their respective clubs , most notably the Tigers . With Cleary as the coach , he has swept the dust from the cupboard and also signed a great squad for next year . Now he can concentrate on the players remaining and also blood his juniors . Whilst here in Dragon land we are still inhaling the same air that's been around since 2012 and it's quite stale to say the least . It pains me to say it , but there is now only one basket case in the NRL remaining .

So the question is how do we stop the rot , once and for all ? Doust and his cronies are well and truly entrenched at the top of the tree , Mary is there for another 2 fooking years ( unbelievable ) so just how do we prevent the club from going completely down the drain ? Unfortunately , I myself cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel at this point in time . But something must give , sooner or later , I just hope that the Dragons are still there after the dust has settled 2 years from now .

Last edited:

Bench
Hunt is going to change things for us. But look at a other high priced long term contract. Dale Cherry Evans, signed for nine years. There is nothing special with his performances, but Manly are stuck with the contract.
I am glad that Hunt is coming and the pressure is on him to perform. Is it wise signing him for so long, there is a hugh liability on the club with him. I think a club should put a three or four year option on the table.
Time will tell.

possm

Coach
John Howard for CEO!
If John Howard was to get involved it would be as Chairman of the Board. I believe if that were to happen, big changes would occur at the Dragons. It would be an awesome coup if it came off.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Y

You have failed to do your homework on Ben hunt
Fact he has played for Australia on 3 occasions and based on the half we have now hunt is a excellent signing as this position is amongst our weakest

You are right about playing for Australia. Thankyou for the correction.

Old Timer

Coach
This interview could easily be talking about us
You will see a few red and white scarfs and even a jumper with a rev V in the background.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

So the question is how do we stop the rot , once and for all ? Doust and his cronies are well and truly entrenched at the top of the tree , Mary is there for another 2 fooking years ( unbelievable ) so just how do we prevent the club from going completely down the drain ? Unfortunately , I myself cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel at this point in time . But something must give , sooner or later , I just hope that the Dragons are still there after the dust has settled 2 years from now .

1 - Can only hope Gordon (WIN) buys his stake in the club and kicks some heads.
2 - Mary finds a way to include a 'plan B' into his game plan, followed by plan C, which may include dropping non performing players from 1st grade & plan D, which may include playing some some of our juniors.

Either way, we fans will still be here.