What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we better with SJ or Lino at no7?

JJ

Immortal
I'm impressed that against two big boy teams Johnson has been a late withdrawal and both Lino and the team have been great

I'd like Lino to get as much first grade experience as he can so no fear resting Johnson if he's not quite right, that's a great spot to be in

Rich102

Staff member
They are two very different players.
Which suits the Warrior's style better?
Remains to be seen.
But a good position to be in.

Mason is a traditional No 7. A link between the forwards and the backs.
His strengths are his organizing, his short kicking game, his direct approach and his communicating.
Also he has football smarts (ie stopping play when the forwards are tired) and is very competitive. A battler.

SJ is more a traditional No 6. Light on his feet, great mover, great step, flashy. Will exploit a hole but not break through tackles. Able to kick high bombs, but not always accurately. Not a great organiser - tends to play more what is in front of him. Can go into his shell if the defence is up on him Last tackle options not always good. If the forwards lay a good platform he looks good; if they don't he goes missing. A better tackler this year. Can get rattled and pass the ball over the receivers head, or behind him or at his feet.

Mason has always had potential, he hasn't always been backed by the club. He has improved this year on elevation to the top side - and who doesn't play better surrounded by better players? He has had two very good games against two dominant packs, His kick chase last game was great, often the first there and some great one-on-one tackles.

Given a choice he would be my preferred half in a tight forward tussle.

Against the Broncos it was well into the second half before SJ took the ball to the defensive line. Given a half-chance against the Dragons Lino did it first very early on, bursting through tacklers, and scored.

A good position to be in.

Iafeta

Referee
They are two very different players.
Which suits the Warrior's style better?
Remains to be seen.
But a good position to be in.

Mason is a traditional No 7. A link between the forwards and the backs.
His strengths are his organizing, his short kicking game, his direct approach and his communicating.
Also he has football smarts (ie stopping play when the forwards are tired) and is very competitive. A battler.

SJ is more a traditional No 6. Light on his feet, great mover, great step, flashy. Will exploit a hole but not break through tackles. Able to kick high bombs, but not always accurately. Not a great organiser - tends to play more what is in front of him. Can go into his shell if the defence is up on him Last tackle options not always good. If the forwards lay a good platform he looks good; if they don't he goes missing. A better tackler this year. Can get rattled and pass the ball over the receivers head, or behind him or at his feet.

Mason has always had potential, he hasn't always been backed by the club. He has improved this year on elevation to the top side - and who doesn't play better surrounded by better players? He has had two very good games against two dominant packs, His kick chase last game was great, often the first there and some great one-on-one tackles.

Given a choice he would be my preferred half in a tight forward tussle.

Against the Broncos it was well into the second half before SJ took the ball to the defensive line. Given a half-chance against the Dragons Lino did it first very early on, bursting through tacklers, and scored.

A good position to be in.

He hadn’t won a game in first grade if I am not mistaken until this year. He was preferred to Hingano last year. I think the club has backed him. Up until this year he hasn’t taken his chances.

I like Mason. But two good games, when Shaun has also had a good start to the year including the clutch win in Canberra, does not put Shaun under pressure. The better player comfortably is Shaun.

Kakihara

Juniors
I’d like to see how Lino goes once teams have enough time to analyse the way he plays before we can make the call.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Why is this even a thread?

Johnson >>>>>>>>>>> Lino.

Lino has had two good games but he was bog average in his first 9 for us.

One swallow does not make a summer.

A bit unfair on Lino. He tried hard on those games was on a hiding to nothing playing in an injury depleted and demoralised team. That said, Shaun probably would’ve managed to turn 2 or 3 of those into wins.
But I’m glad Mason got an opportunity to show what he could do playing in a team where he’s being supported, which is a fairer reflection of his ability. I always thought he was better than those 9 losses indicated. Remember even Shaun couldn’t turn last year’s end of season losing streak around.

sup42

Juniors
A bit unfair on Lino. He tried hard on those games was on a hiding to nothing playing in an injury depleted and demoralised team. That said, Shaun probably would’ve managed to turn 2 or 3 of those into wins.
But I’m glad Mason got an opportunity to show what he could do playing in a team where he’s being supported, which is a fairer reflection of his ability. I always thought he was better than those 9 losses indicated. Remember even Shaun couldn’t turn last year’s end of season losing streak around.
yeah the Warriors were at their worst when Lino supposedly got a chance to prove himself, he might as well have been auditioning for life guard on the Titanic.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

I think we realise looking back that the culture in the club last year was absolutely pitiful and no one was ever going to turn that around. But you're absolutely right, I'm stoked Mason has got a chance in a couple of matches where our forwards aimed up and he had the chance to show his stuff. I'm most impressed with his composure, he seems a very level-headed guy. You'd see guys made of lesser stuff in his position, having played 9 or whatever and lost 9, come in and try and go beserk. But he's just stuck to what he does, not tried to be the hero, but just played a role. I guess that comes with a lot of time in ISP honing his craft and also fitting into a good structure next to Green.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
We'll only have Green for 2 years you'd think- the club should do all it can to hold on to Mason. And looking even further down the track, he's 3 years younger than Shaun so it'll be good to have someone who's got legs when Shaun calls it quits or moves on, though hopefully thats another 5-6 years away.

WellsNZ

Juniors
Been waiting years for SJ to have the right halves partner and a pack that is halfway decent now he's got them and some people want to ditch him lol.

Just the easy target because of his name. The media know speculating about SJ will get attention and page views. Full praise to Lino for taking his opportunities but when he's back to full health SJ is the guy no question.

sup42

Juniors
Lino is up against it this week.

No Harris. They play split halves with Lino on the right almost exclusively.

Harris is the main reason we almost score at will on that edge whether it is Johnson or Lino...

That forward pack is significantly weakened without Tohu it has a real ISP look to it.

Lino is up against it this week.

No Harris. They play split halves with Lino on the right almost exclusively.

Harris is the main reason we almost score at will on that edge whether it is Johnson or Lino...

That forward pack is significantly weakened without Tohu it has a real ISP look to it.

I know what you mean minus Harris but the good thing we got is the will to play for one another. Doesn't matter who is on the field they seem to give a damn about each other. Mannering is solid enough to cover the holes and I am hoping we see more footwork from Papalii as he will make up for Mannerings limited attacking game good leg drive like Bunty.

Latest posts