What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we fat because we eat too much or eat the wrong things?

Snoochies

First Grade
I've been on this 'warrior diet' for the last 2 months and apart from the cheesy name, it's really working and is the first diet that has actually ever worked for me. The basic philosophy behind it is similar in regards to the above article and is based on our past as hunter gatherers. The idea is that during the day time is a period of undereating while night time is for feasting. Apparently during our hunter gatherer days the day time was used to roam and catch food and during the day the only foods that were consumed were things like nuts and fruit whilst at night you would feast.

I was extremely skeptical and I'm sure many here will argue against this type of eating but it's actually working. I've lost 6kg in just under 2 months and feel great. Prior to this diet I was eating the same calories, the same food but spread out over the usual 5- 6 meals a day still while exercising and couldn't shift any weight. Just by changing how I ate it's amazing the results that have followed. And the weird part is that I thought after undereating I would feel tired and lethargic during the day but my energy has increased and it's good to know I only prepare now for a good feed at night and not worry too much about the day time.

Anyway, not a diet for everyone but it's working for me, look it up.

Thomas

First Grade
I've been on this 'warrior diet' for the last 2 months and apart from the cheesy name, it's really working and is the first diet that has actually ever worked for me. The basic philosophy behind it is similar in regards to the above article and is based on our past as hunter gatherers. The idea is that during the day time is a period of undereating while night time is for feasting. Apparently during our hunter gatherer days the day time was used to roam and catch food and during the day the only foods that were consumed were things like nuts and fruit whilst at night you would feast.

I was extremely skeptical and I'm sure many here will argue against this type of eating but it's actually working. I've lost 6kg in just under 2 months and feel great. Prior to this diet I was eating the same calories, the same food but spread out over the usual 5- 6 meals a day still while exercising and couldn't shift any weight. Just by changing how I ate it's amazing the results that have followed. And the weird part is that I thought after undereating I would feel tired and lethargic during the day but my energy has increased and it's good to know I only prepare now for a good feed at night and not worry too much about the day time.

Anyway, not a diet for everyone but it's working for me, look it up.

The Warrior Diet is just a Paleo Diet, right?

I've cut out starchy carbs after midday and dropped 3 kgs of fat. My big issue is the sneaky beer or 2 I have at night. I've also cut those out...during the week.

Snoochies

First Grade
I haven't read abot the Paleo diet.

I still eat carbs just eat them at night. During the day I will only eat a banana and have a protein shake. You can still have coffee and tea and have slipped in a sugar or 2 before I workout. Must drink plenty of water which I learnt the hard way.

Dragon

Coach
I did the 30 day paleo challenge last year and dropped about 5kg. I learned a lot about food from that little experience. Its not something i could do forever though, but the principles (no processed sh*t) will stay with me my whole life.

Now i do intermittent fasting (8hrs feeding, 16hrs fasting) and the weight stays off

http://www.leangains.com/

And just for the topic i would say the main reason people are fat is because they are misinformed. For starters the food pyramid that every kid gets taught is just flat out geniused and will make you fat

Last edited:

Cliffhanger

Coach
It's always been 30 per cent exercise and 70 per cent nutrition, that's beside the point, being healthy is not about being a certain body size, it's about fitness, there are plenty of slim healthy people. Fitness is extremely important to quality of life and longevity. It slows down the aging process and causes your body to respond a lot better.

Last edited:

Micistm

Bench
And to answer the question posed by the thread title: both, and also a lack of exercise.

x2. Thats it in a nutshell. Too much food, too much of the wrong food, too little exercise.
Balance is the key, to everything in life really. There's nothing wrong with some junk food...just balance it with some decent nosh as well, and get off the arse and work it off as well. You do that as a lifestyle rather than a burst now and again when the scales give you a fright, and you'll be right for the most part.
Of course, everyones different, so you may have to sort out the ratio of the three elements there to work out whats right for you.:)

Micistm

Bench
I'm also a firm believer in not worrying about temporary exercise routines, nor diets for specific timeframes to lose weight (unless for a wedding or some specific target like that). The only way IMO to lose weight and keep it off is lifestyle change, balance, and making the habit stick. A temporary fix for the majority of people just has the weight pile back on again.

ceagle

Bench
I always find it amusing when you see people come into the gym, half arse it on the treadmill for 45mins burning about only 200 calories, then drink a bottle of Gatorade as they leave which is worth about 200 calories.

And fatties always ask "why am I fat?"

dogslife

Coach
I always find it amusing when you see people come into the gym, half arse it on the treadmill for 45mins burning about only 200 calories, then drink a bottle of Gatorade as they leave which is worth about 200 calories.

And fatties always ask "why am I fat?"
You forgot about the Big Mac and the cigarette before they jump on the treadmill. Gotta fuel the body you know...

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I suppose thats why I saw so many fat pricks running the canberra marathon the other week and will see thousands more this weekend at the SMH half marathon.

Always astounds me how an academic can state that exercise leads to weight gain with a straight face

No but you will see plenty of fat power lifters and NFL players in certain positions. Athletes who only need strength will largely carry plenty of fat because its more efficient to just eat for muscle recovery and not bother with how you look.

The guy with the world record for the deadlift weighs 177 kilos. How many hours a week would he spend at the gym to achieve a 450 kilo deadlift. I train entirely for strength but because I am vain will diet down when I get too heavy but if I didn't give a shit my pbs would be higher. I am in fact penalised in my hobby by my choice not to be fat.

Diet is everything. Of course we also live in a consumer culture so blame must be passed.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Pete makes a great point, some of those female discus throwers were carrying a lot of central adiposity too. Not all these so called athletes are healthy.

The problem with strength training is doing aerobic training makes you lose strength, you could do HIIT, which will help but you won't develop the aerobic capacity.

However at the end of the day, strength training and a good diet is better than aerobic training and a good diet.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The Olympics are great because there are quite a few strength based events so you do get to see a few fatties trot out and do their thing.

I think in this thread you mention breakfast cereal which are often advertised as a healthy breakfast. As a kid I'd eat a couple bowls of it and got pretty fat. It really took me taking my own initiative to work out how to eat properly. I still know people who think that going for a jog will correct the poor mistakes made in the kitchen. That won't even get rid of the mars bar they just ate.

Don't get me wrong exercise should be an important part of everyone's life. I would love to see more people wanting to pick up a weight or go for a run. You have no idea how hard it was to convince my girlfriend that she would not turn into the incredible hulk by lifting a weight. Being strong and fit is something we should all aspire to be but weight loss starts and ends in the kitchen. ( as does weight gain at that).

adamkungl

Immortal
From the article. Something the exercise nuts don't like to think about

People are more likely to eat more after exercise? That's because they're morons, not because exercise doesn't work. Have the slightest shred of discipline ffs and this "issue" magically disappears.

Cliffhangar, can't you see that the current information people are getting isn't helping them lose weight?

That's because the majority of people get their 'information' from the dailytelegraph and womens mags.

ceagle

Bench
Exercise isn't even needed to maintain or lose weight, I broke my leg just before I did a cut last summer and was able to drop to 10% bodyfat just through diet.

Cliffhanger

Coach
No it isn't but there's a difference between being slim and actually being healthy. Research is starting to show just how harmful sedentary lifestyles are even for people who are not overweight.

Don't confuse being healthy with being slim or having a low BF, they are not the same.

ceagle

Bench
No it isn't but there's a difference between being slim and actually being healthy. Research is starting to show just how harmful sedentary lifestyles are even for people who are not overweight.

Don't confuse being healthy with being slim or having a low BF, they are not the same.
I'm not, just referring to people who think that you have to exercise to lose weight.

Blame the media for what they portray as being healthy though, I was the most ripped I had ever been last summer but was also the least fit I had ever been.

beave

Coach
I am on the 4th phase of the Dukan diet but probably still with a slight hint of the 3rd phase habits, basically Thursdays I have to eat nothing but protein and the others days I am just eating 2 slices of whole meal bread a day (though I have slipped up a few times and had 4.....) heaps of greens,heaps of protein, no spuds or rice (only sweet potato) and tbh I am not really missing the starchy stuff as much as I thought I would. If we have fajitas or a stir fry I just halve the amount of rice/tortillas and give them to the missus and eat the meal without said carbs, seriously it is the best thing I have ever done(dukan). I am probably drinking a little too much alcohol but I need some sort of enjoyment in life!!! Once the footy season has ended I will probably drop off in piss consumption and will probably see some further change in body shape. But as of now, very happy with the changes though everything I own clothing wise is ridiculously massive on me so I probably need to spend $ and get a new wardrobe but meh!!!

Seriously, if people want to lose weight there's enough info out there and if they set their mind to it, anything can be achieved. In the end I went from 100kgs to 78kgs(im 189cms) with just a bit of will power and effort to excercise, I was always the lazy lad that tried to get out of PT at work but once it got easier again to do some serious excercise and the high you get at the end it became addictive, seriously, if I can do it anyone can do it.

Latest posts