What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we the real deal in 2016?

Crossbow

Juniors
When you only beat the dragons by 3 points get flogged by the cows 36/0 I don't think you will be winning the comp.Cows Cronulla grand final.You guys need a bigger salary cap.You and the rosters can have the sombrero cap cause everyone fits under that

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I love that half the idiot opinions here in the Bulldogs forum are from fans of other clubs.

Whoosh

Juniors
Seeming to be copping a fair amount of crap from supporters of teams who finished well below us.......
Technically I'm not sure the whole team is fat either. A few of them yep, but the whole team?

Dogs Of War

Coach
It's not looking any better for 2017 either.

It's not that hard. It's a change of game plan that will ultimately decide how we go. Big forwards obviously do work to a degree. But you saw as soon as we needed to play catch up, that cause we never play that game, we had no idea.

I remember watching the Sharks play a few weeks ago, they actually play a similar style to us, the difference is that they don't soley go up the middle. Once they have put that dominance in, and forced the defense to compress, they start attacking the edges. But we don't do this, and when we try, the ball just gets there too slow cause it's mainly going through the forwards. This is where the hooker needs to have a bit more brains.

I would like to see Mbye to hooker, need to find a halfback - this person really just needs a great kicking game cause that would help us no end with the forwards we have and an attacking speedy fullback.

lafai

Bench
It's not that hard. It's a change of game plan that will ultimately decide how we go. Big forwards obviously do work to a degree. But you saw as soon as we needed to play catch up, that cause we never play that game, we had no idea.

I remember watching the Sharks play a few weeks ago, they actually play a similar style to us, the difference is that they don't soley go up the middle. Once they have put that dominance in, and forced the defense to compress, they start attacking the edges. But we don't do this, and when we try, the ball just gets there too slow cause it's mainly going through the forwards. This is where the hooker needs to have a bit more brains.

I would like to see Mbye to hooker, need to find a halfback - this person really just needs a great kicking game cause that would help us no end with the forwards we have and an attacking speedy fullback.

You really think Des will change his game plan? Teams have figured his game plan out the last 3 years. GF loss in 2014, 2nd week eliminated 2015, 1st week eliminated 2016. We're going backwards and haven't signed anyone. And where the f**k is our juniors?

Dogs Of War

Coach
You really think Des will change his game plan? Teams have figured his game plan out the last 3 years. GF loss in 2014, 2nd week eliminated 2015, 1st week eliminated 2016. We're going backwards and haven't signed anyone. And where the f**k is our juniors?

We have no juniors, and those we signed as development players haven't developed at all.

Though Des did play a different style at Manly than he is playing at the Dogs. So he does have another game plan, and thats what he needs to re-evaluate.

He is a good coach, you only have to look around at other teams and how much they struggle in the coaching department to know that. I think it's about getting behind the coach, and maybe changing up some of the assistants around him so they can help influence Des.

Don't get me wrong, things need to change. But they aren't as bad as you think. The style has changed, but not for the better over the past few years. Mainly due to a crappy hooker we bought who only likes to pass the ball to the forwards for some reason and who doesn't have a kicking game.

lafai

Bench
We have no juniors, and those we signed as development players haven't developed at all.

Though Des did play a different style at Manly than he is playing at the Dogs. So he does have another game plan, and thats what he needs to re-evaluate.

He is a good coach, you only have to look around at other teams and how much they struggle in the coaching department to know that. I think it's about getting behind the coach, and maybe changing up some of the assistants around him so they can help influence Des.

Don't get me wrong, things need to change. But they aren't as bad as you think. The style has changed, but not for the better over the past few years. Mainly due to a crappy hooker we bought who only likes to pass the ball to the forwards for some reason and who doesn't have a kicking game.

And who signed that crappy hooker? Des.

Timmah

Staff member
I don't understand the need to crucify Des or demand he leave/get sacked.

He isn't the core issue - I think our recruitment (for which Des holds part, not all responsibility) is the issue at the moment. We need a better spine, as suggested above a new 7 and move Mbye to 9. Lichaa can go wherever. Even Garvey would be a better option, we played far better footy with him there IMO

lafai

Bench
I don't understand the need to crucify Des or demand he leave/get sacked.

He isn't the core issue - I think our recruitment (for which Des holds part, not all responsibility) is the issue at the moment. We need a better spine, as suggested above a new 7 and move Mbye to 9. Lichaa can go wherever. Even Garvey would be a better option, we played far better footy with him there IMO

Yeah I wouldn't mind Mbye or Garvey at 9. But Des has this obsession with Lichaa ever since he signed him with only a handful of FG games under his belt. He's on par with Mitch Rein as far as worst hookers are involved. And the Hopoate signing was terrible btw. Whoever thought it was a good idea to let him weaken our squad just because of his religion should get sacked/crucified/demand to leave. I don't think Des is the person to lead us to a comp.

Timmah

Staff member
I don't think Des was the sole person who made the decision on Hoppa.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I don't think Des was the sole person who made the decision on Hoppa.

Really as far as Hoppa goes. I see him as a depth player, and really NSW Cup is the best option. With his decision, I think those who can commit to playign all the time are best suited to getting first crack at the position. Who knows, that sort of decision may prompt him to change his mind. It's really a hard call, but I understand we got him cheaply, and he would still be in a our top 25 due to salary, but I think this approach is best.

Just means we need to find someone to replace him at the back, which really, I don't think is that hard.

Timmah

Staff member
JMO, but I think that's an overreach. He's good enough for first grade, although I'm not sold on him as a fullback. Aside from Sundays (the club's agreed to it, thats not changing til his contract ends so the point is moot), I'd like to see him in the centres.

1 Brett Morris
2 Brenko Lee
3 Josh Morris
4 Will Hopoate
5 Tyrone Phillips

When Hoppa's not available, Reimis Smith comes in.

Latest posts