What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARL make $3-4 Million Profit so what are they contributing to developing the game....

The Daddy2

Juniors
globally? Or at least in the Pacific?

The RFL/RLEF has done and incredible job advancing the sport in Europe with many countries now taking up the sport and governing bodies being formed, I don't see the same level of innovation by the ARL to promote the game in Asia-Pacific.

Could someone please give me an idea of what they are doing to assist the sport in Asia and the Pacific. Seems like all the authorities who have their hand in the rugby league pie over here care about getting a slice of the new TV deal monies.

simostorm

Bench
Thats abit harsh.. these poor ARL guys are absolutly flat chat organising functions, and luncheons, who's gunna pay for the function halls, the sandwiches and club soda's at these events?

Their wives have to buy new dresses for each event thats organised.. and they dont come cheap..

you should show abit more respect to these hard working people.

Loudstrat

Coach
Before Super League the ARL had assets enough to build the Olympic Stadium. Fighting the war virtually made it pennyless. It now has $3 million profit

Compare that to the AFL war chest. Do you really think the ARL should not put some away, considering what News Ltd rake from the game?

Pre SL, The ARL virtually kicked off League in the pacific anyway. They have done their bit.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They have provided some funding to WA to grow the game here, not as much as I'd like but I guess they don't have huge sums. Do agree though, apart from the presidents xiii match in PNG I'm not sure they do anything else in the PI's do they?

PaddyBoy

Juniors
What do you expect? There's no real power in the ARL, and they are behemoths compared to the RLIF. They are responsible for League in Australia and that's what they'll do. It's the RLIF who should be given funds, personel, execs, etc to do this sort of stuff, and have power to arrange internationals, etc regardless of what the clubs want.

POPEYE

Coach
When sports turn fully professional everything surrounding them turns fully professional.

Many people connected with these sports see their jobs as a career and some even have little knowledge of the game.

It would be unreasonable to expect the upper echelon in League to see the game as a mum or dad with a child playing would.

All good business should show a profit and people are doing their jobs as they should. League however should not be open to unrealistic salaries.

As long as League is keeping a stash away for rainy days without being dipped into by greedy hangers-on, as in the corporate world, so be it

Green Machine

First Grade
Before Super League the ARL had assets enough to build the Olympic Stadium. Fighting the war virtually made it pennyless. It now has $3 million profit
The $20m they had in the bank wouldn't have turned Group 3 Rugby League Ground into a Stadium, let alone build an 84,000 seat stadium,

Perth Red

Post Whore
so why did they bankrupt the Western Reds and NZ Warriors by making them pay for travel for everyone if they had so much cash?

Loudstrat

Coach
The ARL should never have signed off on a deal that left them short of $, but the Reds could? As long as they blame the ARL. El Duque is spot on - you are a News Ltd apologist.

F*ck off you demented git. The ARL bankrupted no-one. And NZ have not gone bust :lol::lol:

When will you finally admit that your shonkey mob couldnt last 5 rounds before pissing off to Ruperts cash, and sold it's soul. When will you admit that ARL gave you a club, and News Ltd took it away?

Air fares never worried the Cowboys.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
lol, your knowledge of the game in 95-96 seems some what sketchy. :)

as does your idea of airfares around australia at that time!

ps you forgot to answer the question?

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
That's because it's bullsh*t. The New Zealand Warriors are not bankrupt ffs! And the Perth Reds never went bankrupt!

Again, your stupid club stabbed the organisation that gave it life in the back, and crawled into be with it's killer!

Perth Red

Post Whore
The FACT remains that Auckland and Perth were both saddled with a massive albatross around their necks when the ARL brought both clubs in under the proviso that they paid both their own travel costs and the opponents travel costs for all levels of the clubs. The costs of flights to Perth at that time were huge and were a major factor in the club financially struggling from year1.

Again I ask the question, if the ARL were so flush with cash why would they make a stupid decision like this that was inevitably going to cause massive problems for a expansion club in a new territory?

Loudstrat

Coach
Why would the Reds make a stupid decision to sign it if it was so bad?

And why do you think having to pay airfares is worse than not existing?

You just want to blame the ARL for everything, despte the fact that your pathetic club never made ONE bright and intelligent decision in it's entire history. :lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why would the Reds make a stupid decision to sign it if it was so bad?

And why do you think having to pay airfares is worse than not existing?

You just want to blame the ARL for everything, despte the fact that your pathetic club never made ONE bright and intelligent decision in it's entire history. :lol:

I can only assume it was due to the people involved at the time being either wildly optimistic or down right stupid! Given their decision to take on the Sunday Times as main sponsor for a shed of money but giving away control of the boardroom to News at the same time due to big debts due to travel costs I would probably lean on the side of stupid!

ps it wasn't my club, I didn't move to Perth until 1999!

Hopefully what will be my club in the future will have brighter people running it and a much more capable organisation behind it than the ARL ever was!

Canard

Immortal
The FACT remains that Auckland and Perth were both saddled with a massive albatross around their necks when the ARL brought both clubs in under the proviso that they paid both their own travel costs and the opponents travel costs for all levels of the clubs. The costs of flights to Perth at that time were huge and were a major factor in the club financially struggling from year1.

Again I ask the question, if the ARL were so flush with cash why would they make a stupid decision like this that was inevitably going to cause massive problems for a expansion club in a new territory?

The Cowboys were also required to be pay for visiting teams travel costs also, the financial hardship this caused pushed them to chase the $ that News offered.

As much as it sucks to say If it wasn't for SL, IMHO the Cowboys would no longer exist.

Loudstrat

Coach
I can only assume it was due to the people involved at the time being either wildly optimistic or down right stupid! Given their decision to take on the Sunday Times as main sponsor for a shed of money but giving away control of the boardroom to News at the same time due to big debts due to travel costs I would probably lean on the side of stupid!

ps it wasn't my club, I didn't move to Perth until 1999!

Hopefully what will be my club in the future will have brighter people running it and a much more capable organisation behind it than the ARL ever was!
If you were not here in 95 - how can you comment on what happend before hand? I know - you read it in a News Ltd paper :lol:. So that explains why you have NFI.

I think it was a smart move by the ARL to say "If you want in, you fund it" so that existing clubs were not disadvantaged in any way - and why should they be?

You also forget how flexible the ARL was to new clubs. They basically killed the reserve grade comp due to the cost of travel for interstate teams. And then they kept the salary cap the same. For the Broncos, that meant more money to pump into their FG side than anyone else. The ARL would not have just let any club die if they gave it a go but could not sustain the airfares.

5 weeks is not giving it a go.

You reckon after 5 weeks they went bankrupt. 5 lousy weeks!!! That is hardly the ARL's fault you News Ltd loving genius!!!!!!

Green Machine

First Grade
I was around in 1995. I remember Ken Arthurson saying that the bids from the Cowboys and the Reds were too good to knock back. The bar for the NSWRL wasn’t real high in those days. Imagine trying to get a football ground like The Willows circa 1995 across the line for a bid today? Even going back to Illawarra in 1982, the recession of 1983 made them a financial basket case. Wollongong Showground was a dump in 1982. Danny Weadler criticised the NRL last week with the clubs claim for more money:
http://m.smh.com.au/sport/warne-goes-in-to-bat-for-quade-20111022-1mdg7.html

WHERE'S THE WAR CHEST?

THERE is disbelief in club land that the NRL can't come up with a measly $500,000 per club to help a number of teams through some tough times. At least two teams are bordering on being technically insolvent and how they are going to pay their players in the future remains a major concern. When John Quayle ran the NSWRL just before the Super League war, it had $22 million in its coffers. And back then the TV rights deals were relatively minuscule
Danny got couple of things wrong. The FTA TV rights were about the market value. The PayTV rights were unvalued. The salary cap in 1995 was below just $2m and the grants to the clubs would have been lucky to be $200k each. Imagine the outcry if the NRL bled clubs today like Arthurson and Quayle did?

Loudstrat

Coach
Back then the salary cap was $1.6 million. Clubs could afford that, although Brisbane could afford a lot more. Now clubs HAVE to rely on TV money, because their revenue hasn't increased in line with expenditure. The ARL did not bleed anyone!

And it sounds like the Reds and Cowboys OFFERED to fund the flights!!!!!!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you were not here in 95 - how can you comment on what happend before hand? I know - you read it in a News Ltd paper :lol:. So that explains why you have NFI.

Because I got the inside story first hand from a board member of the WARL at the time who also became a director of the Western Reds, me thinks he has more of a clue than some flat capper from over East!