What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARL name Four Nations squad - Official

Gidley is there to sit on the bench, as always.

Please do tell me who the player is that can take up one bench spot and cover Wing, Centre, five eight, halfback, Fullback and Lock? Cronk? lmao.

Luke Lewis can cover several positions in the backline, and back row, a bit of re-shuffling can take care of the rest.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
The Australian coach should pick it alone. It's ridiculous that he has to inherit a squad and base a game plan around them, rather than pick his own squad to suit a certain game plan. Either way, whoever coaches the Australian team always has about 5 players from their club in the squad who are borderline at best, why's it all of a sudden disgraceful that ONE player who's been one of the top 3 hookers in the game for 4 years gets picked in the squad when his club coach is in charge.

Remember when Craig Bellemy brought Steve Turner into the Origin team. End of.

Timbo

Staff member
Why should Morris waltz in based on form when the likes of Lockyer, Smith, Inglis, Hodges and Slater are usually picked even if they are out of form?

Boyd was not flash but he did nothing wrong at rep level this year and last year. Five Origins for only one loss and two tests for zero losses. Should be rewarded with a selection based on that alone.

He's not a bloody tennis player. There were 16 other blokes contributing to those wins.

Unless you're suggesting that Boyd has some sort of aura of winningness?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
just cos players can 'cover' positions doesnt mean they're any good at the positions they're 'covering'

karmichael 'covered' centre at origin level several times this eyar and did a crappy job -the blues were even crappier cos they didnt exploit his inexperience there

all this crap about gidley being able to cover positions is bullsh*t, yes he can stand in that position but probably do poorly at it. he's a competitor so he'd have a go but i cnat see gidley having any reall effectiveness at lock or wing

hellteam

First Grade
Gidley's a crap option for bench. Every time he is on the bench there comes an awkward time about the 60th minute or so when the coach (and everyone else) realizes there is no real point in him being on the bench... But then they just put him on anyway, at some position like hooker where he inevitably just goes worse then whoever was there in the first place. Sure, it's good to have a "utility" that can play 10 positions on the field, but the reality is that's not really what is needed. In this Australian team especially having him on the bench would be a waste. Luke Lewis would be a much better option (see below)

Slater gets injured -- Hayne fullback, Lewis wing/centre (Inglis or Hodges can go on the wing if need be)

Hayne/Morris injured -- Lewis wing

Inglis/Hodges injured - Lewis straight swap

Lockyer injured - Lewis 5/8, Thurston could handle play-making duties

Smith/Thurston injured - probably worst thing that could happen, but that could happen every week with their clubs. Lewis could come and cover. Hell, a few years ago Crocker was Kangaroos 5/8 so I'm sure we could handle it with Lewis.

End of the day --> Gidley's rep career should be over.

Gidley's a crap option for bench. Every time he is on the bench there comes an awkward time about the 60th minute or so when the coach (and everyone else) realizes there is no real point in him being on the bench... But then they just put him on anyway, at some position like hooker where he inevitably just goes worse then whoever was there in the first place. Sure, it's good to have a "utility" that can play 10 positions on the field, but the reality is that's not really what is needed. In this Australian team especially having him on the bench would be a waste. Luke Lewis would be a much better option (see below)

Slater gets injured -- Hayne fullback, Lewis wing/centre (Inglis or Hodges can go on the wing if need be)

Smith/Thurston injured - probably worst thing that could happen, but that could happen every week with their clubs. Lewis could come and cover. Hell, a few years ago Crocker was Kangaroos 5/8 so I'm sure we could handle it with Lewis.

Even go
13. Lewis
14. Cronk/Farah

if an outside back goes down Lewis slots in fine, and a fresh backrower goes to lock. You just need to cover every base, it doesn't matter if the outside backs and halves are covered by 2 different players really.

rabbit0h8

Juniors

Gidley is so overrrated. He offers barely anything from fullback and doesnt have a good game for a half or 5/8. There is no spot for him in the NSW team next year whether he is captain or not. hayne will play fullback and i dont think he will offer much from the bench unless he comes on as hooker which i think is his best position. personally i wouldnt have picked him on the kangaroo tour either.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Gidley is so overrrated. He offers barely anything from fullback and doesnt have a good game for a half or 5/8. There is no spot for him in the NSW team next year whether he is captain or not. hayne will play fullback and i dont think he will offer much from the bench unless he comes on as hooker which i think is his best position. personally i wouldnt have picked him on the kangaroo tour either.

Obviously you didnt watch Origin 3. He was the 2nd best on the field, just behind Kimmorely

Goddo

Bench
Kurt "token" Gidley should be dropped along with Hodges, Lockyer, Gallen. He shouldn't have even made the NSW bench this year. The selectors are getting stupider every year.

The Kiwi's are using this series to build up younger players with the aim of having a strong squad for the next world cup. We are draging around a few blokes who need a walking stick to get onto the ground, or have skills on par with a myopic amputee.

Butters

Bench
Worst prop in the NRL? So what, he just flukes selection for QLD every year? Try WATCHING rugby league before commenting in future - you're a complete and utter nuffy.

Well Hannant really proved me wrong today didn't he? :lol:

I think that Keith Galloway should be in the squad, he very strong and resonably fit. Also Fileti Mateo and Ben Creagh were quite unlucky.

Latest posts