What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC Commission Changes

I dunno if it matters...

Turnbull will be gone soon and its unlikely that another hard core Conservative will win again any time soon. Plus, if there is tension, there are 7 other commissioners to send in.

Im more interested in RL being forward looking and inclusive than pandering to RWNJs about to lose all power and relevance...

Turnbull... a hardcore conservative?!

Whatever the case federaly, the coalition are still in power in NSW. And more likely than not to win re-election.

You need to play it much smarter than she has. Rugby League can be inclusive without alienating people. A huge swathe of Western Sydney just voted no.

I support SSM, this has nothing to do with that for me. This is about smart business, and she clearly knows very little about business.

Also another of the commissioners, Chris Sarra, has used the NRL to push his political agenda too.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...k=0c7dbbce4396240438437ad916baae0f-1512900905

$3 million Sydney switch shows Peter Beattie means business

PHIL ROTHFIELD, Sports Editor-at-Large, The Daily Telegraph

December 10, 2017 6:33pm

RUGBY league’s most passionate Queenslander is quitting the Sunshine State to buy a new $3 million home in one of Sydney’s trendiest suburbs.

Former Queensland premier Peter Beattie will run rugby league when he takes over as chairman of the independent commission early next year.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Beattie and his wife Heather have taken out a mortgage to buy a house in stylish Balmain East.

It is believed the home cost more than $3 million, showing how serious Beattie is about the move.

It means he will be able to take over as the most powerful figure in the game within the next two months — and have a “hands-on” role in the running of the game.

Beattie will make the Balmain property his principle place of residence, only 11km away from NRL headquarters at Moore Park.

He will commute between Brisbane and Sydney while he completes his role as chairman of the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games and then move to Sydney permanently.

The move has surprised colleagues because Beattie has always been seen a staunch Queenslander who has lived nearly all his life in Brisbane and served for nearly a decade as premier of the state.

But he has told friends he is determined to work closely and regularly with CEO Todd Greenberg, rather than make occasional visits to Sydney.

The move is in stark contrast to outgoing chairman John Grant, who stays at the flash Intercontinental Hotel when he travels to Sydney in business class.

Some NRL club chairmen believe Beattie should move into the role immediately but Grant is determined to remain as chairman until the NRL’s annual general meeting in February.

Beattie would then need to be elected to the top role by his fellow commissioners but this is seen as a formality.

The new-look commission will also have four members nominated by the clubs and states and is expected to function more smoothly than the current commission, which has been in a constant battle with the clubs.

It is understood Beattie chose Balmain because it is the birthplace of the ALP in NSW, and the former home of premier Neville Wran.

Ironically, it is just a good punt kick away from Birchgrove Oval, the birthplace of rugby league in Australia in 1908.

Beattie has demonstrated he is a passionate rugby league fan, travelling extensively to watch games since he was elected to the commission in July.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It is understood Beattie chose Balmain because it is the birthplace of the ALP in NSW, and the former home of premier Neville Wran.

clear bullshit, just shows how much Phil just makes shit up....

King hit

Coach
Wonder if Queensland will still claim conspiracy even though one of the most influential people on the board is their ex premier.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
SJW to the rescue

Hahaha.

While im personally a fan of Labor, youve entirely missed the point. While it is a fun coincidence that a former QLD Labor Premier moved to the birthplace of Labor in NSW, it is just that; a coincidence. Claiming that this was the REASON for choosing this area is shows what a shitty journo Phil is.

"Hey, the schools in Manly are the best. oh, but the lifestyle in Bondi looks great. Still, we cant go past Balmain; that was the vague region where something important happened a century ago. We shall base our entire lifestyle around that piece of trivia"

Nah, Phil was just scrolling through Wikipedia and decided to invent a rumour because who at the Telegraph would stop him?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Wonder if Queensland will still claim conspiracy even though one of the most influential people on the board is their ex premier.

Ive got a better conspiricy: why is the QRL so shit at getting Queenslanders Nrl content?

NSW/ACT have 11 teams, yet QLD only has 3. Why arent the QLDers pushing for something more even? Why are they failing to represent QLD rl fans?

Diesel

Referee
Ive got a better conspiricy: why is the QRL so shit at getting Queenslanders Nrl content?

NSW/ACT have 11 teams, yet QLD only has 3. Why arent the QLDers pushing for something more even? Why are they failing to represent QLD rl fans?
Broncos are the reason.

In hindsight the competition could’ve had a mini re-boot in 1988, and slowly entered 3-4 BRL teams over 4 years.

We now have a huge club that while popular, won’t let others play in their backyard. There are many non-Broncos fans living in Brisbane that dispise the Broncos.

The NRL need to seriously look at this, and perhaps an A-League style re-boot if some Sydney clubs start struggling again.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If NSWRL and QRL are gonna get a say in the ARLC, surely the Affiliate states should have somewhere to have their voices heard...

Its not such a bad thing to give the big stakeholders a decent say; it means they are accountable for the decisions rather than the protesters standing outside the tent. But they way they are limiting who gets these seats is f*ckin dodgy.

Id propose some kind of collective AGM where ALL states have a say in who gets their 2 seats (like what will happen with the clubs). Obviously NSW and QRL will have full control in the short term, but if the other states start to grow it will give them an established channel to be heard rather...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
With all the Nrl bashing that’s goes on I’m glad grant and the commission do stand up for the game even if it’s the tough thing to do. The alternative is to let the clubs run it.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ris...league-constitution-push-20180121-h0lno6.html

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/arl...o-resemble-richard-nixon-20180121-h0lnub.html

Interesting Roy used the word “cartel” when speaking about the “great” arko days.

But what would Roy know?

This is why Grant suggests in his December 21 response that "leagues", rather than the two nominated state bodies, be written into the constitution.

This would mean, for example, that a northern league of Queensland, Western Australia, PNG, Fiji and Tonga could be represented by one commissioner and a southern league of NSW, Victoria, South Australia and New Zealand another.

This would have been my other suggestion.

Establish 2 seats for the state bodies, but remove NSW/QLD institutionalised control over the candidate.

Basically have this NSWRL and QRL reps, but expand the area they represent and the people able to elect them. Id also ad a bit of fluidity to let bodies jump between the 2 Leagues if they want to, but i think this is the best bet...

colly

Juniors

Give the doctor a banana to suck on. I f**k off Queersland ( since he is always demanding Sydney teams to be cut) if i had me way, cause im sick of whinging,

Perth Red

Post Whore
If NSWRL and QRL are gonna get a say in the ARLC, surely the Affiliate states should have somewhere to have their voices heard...

Its not such a bad thing to give the big stakeholders a decent say; it means they are accountable for the decisions rather than the protesters standing outside the tent. But they way they are limiting who gets these seats is f*ckin dodgy.

Id propose some kind of collective AGM where ALL states have a say in who gets their 2 seats (like what will happen with the clubs). Obviously NSW and QRL will have full control in the short term, but if the other states start to grow it will give them an established channel to be heard rather...

A constitutional issue with this suggestion is that the "affiliated" states are no longer independent bodies like the NSWRL and QRL and are just offices of the NRL now. So effectively having someone represent these states would be having someone representing a branch of the NRL organisation, which is what the other commissioners are supposed to do.

In theory all the non independent states have NRL employees at their heads who should already have a direct line to NRLHQ and the ARLC for strategic discussions. How much this actually happens I am not sure of.

insert.pause

First Grade
As I said months ago, this is only going to formalise the games factionalism. You can't expect to have the same level of confidentiality around commission meetings & decisions when there are four commissioners representing factions who presumably will expect to be briefed on commission workings & outcomes. It is only going to increase the off record anonymous back-grounding to the media as each faction attempts to sway opinions & get their own way. Meanwhile, nothing actually gets done. It is essentially replicating the Manly board model from a few years ago. The promise of a happy family now they're all sitting at the same table is a deluded fantasy.

siv

First Grade
I saw that 15 out of 16 clubs will be needed to pass changes

Can see this as a step forward

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
It seems Pappas and his mates Peponis, Dib and Politis tried to throw in a few tricks into the draft constitution. Surely common sense will prevail.
Having “league” written in instead of nswrl and qrl seems a obvious fix. We can’t dismiss future state leagues.
Not being able to pass motions at meetings if a club or state commissioner can’t attend is ridiculous. These new commissioners need to treat this arlc seriously. If they don’t show there vote doesn’t count. Simples
And the point about wanting the new positions to be held to account and stop leaks is a absolute certainty. After the amount of leaks that happened over the years this should be a non-negotiable.

Latest posts