What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC Commission Changes

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/jarryd-...-with-nrl-integrity-unit-20180224-h0wlke.html

Ire of the Storm

Former Australian Rugby League Commission chairman John Grant nearly choked on his Cape York barramundi when Storm chairman Bart Campbell delivered some home truths about the game during Grant's lavish farewell dinner last week.

Grant meticulously organised the entire event, including the guest speakers, to ensure they heaped praise on him as he vacated the chairman's role after a less-than-distinguished reign. Grant even supplied the speakers – which included Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga and NSWRL chairman George Peponis – with a list of suggested answers to the questions they would be asked on the night.

Not surprisingly, those scripts painted the commission under Grant as a body that had virtually saved rugby league from disaster.

Unfortunately for Grant, Campbell tore up his script and gave some frank views about the state of the game. He pointed out that the clubs were still facing financial hurdles, that there was an over reliance on poker-machine revenue and that it wasn't all plain sailing in club land.

Campbell saved his biggest warning for Grant's pet project – the NRL's $150 million investment in a digital network – saying it was a big risk.

Grant eventually gathered himself and delivered the same 24-minute diatribe of propaganda about the commission that he had offered the night before at another farewell dinner in Brisbane. Needless to say, there is a general feeling of relief throughout the game now that the farewell tour is over and he has finally vacated the chair for former Queensland premier Peter Beattie.

Stallion

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/jarryd-...-with-nrl-integrity-unit-20180224-h0wlke.html

Ire of the Storm

Former Australian Rugby League Commission chairman John Grant nearly choked on his Cape York barramundi when Storm chairman Bart Campbell delivered some home truths about the game during Grant's lavish farewell dinner last week.

Grant meticulously organised the entire event, including the guest speakers, to ensure they heaped praise on him as he vacated the chairman's role after a less-than-distinguished reign. Grant even supplied the speakers – which included Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga and NSWRL chairman George Peponis – with a list of suggested answers to the questions they would be asked on the night.

Not surprisingly, those scripts painted the commission under Grant as a body that had virtually saved rugby league from disaster.

Unfortunately for Grant, Campbell tore up his script and gave some frank views about the state of the game. He pointed out that the clubs were still facing financial hurdles, that there was an over reliance on poker-machine revenue and that it wasn't all plain sailing in club land.

Campbell saved his biggest warning for Grant's pet project – the NRL's $150 million investment in a digital network – saying it was a big risk.

Grant eventually gathered himself and delivered the same 24-minute diatribe of propaganda about the commission that he had offered the night before at another farewell dinner in Brisbane. Needless to say, there is a general feeling of relief throughout the game now that the farewell tour is over and he has finally vacated the chair for former Queensland premier Peter Beattie.

Let's hope international rugbyleague does not stagnate like the NRL has over the past 5 years or so! Amen!

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...r/news-story/9c2f35622548fdf38c55b7990de1b9ab

Beattie’s first step is getting more women in power

• The Australian
  • 12:00AM February 22, 2018
  • Brent Read
    8a2fbfa2e92a609cfd30a16a25de7e5a
Peter Beattie began his tenure as ARL Commission chairman by discussing the role of women in the game. More pointedly, the need to involve more of them, particularly in positions of power.

To that end, he plans to appoint another female commissioner in the near future, possibly within months. The plan is for one of the existing commissioners to stand down — most likely Chris Sarra — and for a woman to join the current independents.

Women will be at the centre of the game and play a tangible role in determining the way forward. Coincidentally, a pair of women could shape Beattie’s initial months at the apex of rugby league.

Constitutional reform stumbled at the first hurdle yesterday, the vote postponed after three of the 16 clubs indicated they were ready to vote against changes that would have resulted in the states and clubs being given two representatives apiece on a 10-person commission.

Melbourne’s decision to reject the reformation process was widely expected. Chairman Bart Campbell has myriad concerns and no amount of coercing was going to convince him to change his mind.

Anyone who saw his speech at departing chair John Grant’s farewell the previous night would have realised that Campbell was in no mood for pleasantries.

Campbell, chosen to speak on behalf of the clubs at a night to honour Grant’s contribution to the game, spoke about rugby league’s over-reliance on poker machine revenue.

He branded the NRL’s $150 million investment in digital as a “big bet”. At one point, a member of the selective audience yelled out: “bullshit”.

Campbell was on a roll. He didn’t miss a beat. One heckler wasn’t going to throw him. Nor was he ready to back down yesterday morning as he was confronted by some of his fellow clubs over his stance on constitutional reform.

Campbell and the Storm are of the opinion that the proposed changes, which would result in four of the 10 commissioners being representatives of the states and clubs, drift too far from independence.

When he suggested the commission should consider adding an additional two independents, taking the total to 12, one of his fellow chairs countered by suggesting that would dilute the influence of the clubs.

That’s the point. The last thing rugby league needs is for the clubs to have their hands on the tiller. So vehement was Campbell, there are clubs who question whether he can be convinced to back reform. The view among some is that Beattie may be wasting his time by travelling to Melbourne, although Campbell insists his club is willing to listen and still wants constitutional reform.

Gold Coast and Canterbury were the other clubs to demur and they could ultimately hold the key to reform being approved. Titans co-owner Rebecca Frizelle and Bulldogs chair Lynne Anderson know each other well. Anderson was formerly on the board of the Gold Coast when Frizelle was the chair.

Frizelle, although no longer chair, has and will have a decisive say in the Titans’ stance on reform. Anderson has only been in the job a matter of weeks and last night told The Australian it was simply too early for her board to form a view on such a significant change to the game.

The delay was welcomed not just by Anderson, but her board. She wasted no time setting up a meeting with Beattie to discuss the proposal, although the need for haste was amplified by the fact both Anderson and the ARL Commission chair have plenty on their plate.

Beattie is also the chairman of the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, which begins in a matter of weeks. Anderson is the chief executive of the Australian Paralympic Committee and will depart for the winter games in early-March.

Time is of the essence given the new vote will be conducted on March 12. Regardless, it appears if Beattie is to score an early and emphatic victory in his nascent days as ARL Commission chair, winning the support of some of the game’s most respected and intelligent women will be crucial.

You get the feeling Beattie wouldn’t want it any other way.

“The female chairs I know can more than hold their own,” Beattie said. “They are tough, they are smart, they are intelligent people. These are really clever women. I don’t think any of them are intimidated. These are not shrinking violets.

“Any organisation or sport that these days doesn’t engage women, doesn’t have a future. Any sport that doesn’t engage women is doomed.

“I want to see an increasing role for women in the game. I can tell you regardless of what happens to the constitutional changes, the next person who is appointed from one of the current independents will be a woman.

“I have already discussed that with the commissioners and that will happen at the appropriate time. I will manage that with respect. We all know we have to expand the role of women in the game.”

Chris Sarra going is a good thing, but I’m not a fan of predetermined commissioners. The game isn’t in a position where it can knock back talent because they’re a man. If there’s the right female candidate, sure. Just don’t go in with the idea it must be a woman.

The game has club politics at its roots, looks like it’s inviting in a whole other level of politics at its helm.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Just so i understand: the clubs willingly accept money from LCs then the clubs willingly spend it on non-essential initiatives. And this is the ARLCs fault?

Awww, the poor babies!!!!

I wonder how the clubs would react if the ARLC declared that no clubs were allowed to accept LC money. If the clubs are so desperate to get off the LC tit, surely they will be grateful that they ARLC steps in and stops it.

This sounds like the people back in the early 90s saying that sports shouldnt get involved in PayTV.

Good thing we listened to them and not the idiots who wanted the ARL do ask for shares in FOX............

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just so i understand: the clubs willingly accept money from LCs then the clubs willingly spend it on non-essential initiatives. And this is the ARLCs fault?

I wonder how the clubs would react if the ARLC declared that no clubs were allowed to accept LC money. If the clubs are so desperate to get off the LC tit, surely they will be grateful that they ARLC steps in and stops it.

This sounds like the people back in the early 90s saying that sports shouldnt get involved in PayTV.

Good thing we listened to them and not the idiots who wanted the ARL do ask for shares in FOX............

Is there any detail on what this $150mill is actually going to deliver?

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

Ire of the Storm

Seriously....?

So firstly, apparently Grant meticulously organized this event, not one of atleast 20 event organizes? Then he went to the effort to write everyone’s speech? What crap. And now he apparently choked on his barramundi when Bart (one of the more respected club bosses) spoke at the awards night? I would of thought peponis would of had more of a chop at Grant than Bart. Interesting....

So Bart brought up, that clubs were still facing financial hurdles. Nothing new here. Grant would agree but has only said that the clubs have received more than they ever had, which is completely true.
Clubs reliance on poker machines, captain obvious there! geezzzz Grant would of died hearing that....not.
And it’s not all plain sailing in clubland?.... captain obvious there too. Grant knows all too well how selfish clubs are and Bart was one of the “no” votes for the constitution. Again hardly choking on a barramundi stuff.
Lastly, Bart said, it is a big risk spending a projected $150mil over 5yrs on the digital network. How did grant walk out alive from this event?

The thing that makes me worry is that Grant was the boss of a information and communication company that now has yearly revenue forecasts of $1bil US. But hey let’s get rid of him and his connections when we start the digital network. The reporter is all about himself hardly surprising how this article is written.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Is there any detail on what this $150mill is actually going to deliver?

I would assume that the Nrl digital network would start taking ground away from smh and News Ltd. Nrl would over time with increased public traffic be able to command advertising and sponsorships income across the platform. Over the next couple years I would also assume News Ltd and smh will have little impact in Nrl circles and the Goulds, Bellamy etc will be writing articles for the nrl.com instead. It also gives them a foot in the door to engage and market large asx listing companies. Play with the big end of town. Having a sport that engages over half the aus population should interest these companies.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Ire of the Storm

What a deadset f**knuckle.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
The NRL media unit is a PR department for the likes of Grant. That's what the $150m was for. Even that couldn't paper over his shit administration.

Would you prefer the money spent on grassroots and the Nrl to constantly get bagged at every chance by News Ltd and smh? It’s worked out for them the past 20yrs.

This media unit you talk of started in November. Hardly helped grant. This issue I have is that for the past 20-30 yrs the Nrl has received incredibly biased media reporting. News Ltd and smh has decided over a long time to strategically write negative stories when positive options are available. Any story can have a positive side but these companies have continued to write negatively biased articles. There time has now come. You say it’s a PR department, I disagree but fair enough. All I want is fair and reasonable reporting and not agenda driven gutter journalism that we currently get. I can handle bad Nrl stories but the Nrl public are amazing people and there are so many amazing things Nrl public/volunteers do, They don’t deserve that.

Would you prefer the money spent on grassroots and the Nrl to constantly get bagged at every chance by News Ltd and smh? It’s worked out for them the past 20yrs.

This media unit you talk of started in November. Hardly helped grant. This issue I have is that for the past 20-30 yrs the Nrl has received incredibly biased media reporting. News Ltd and smh has decided over a long time to strategically write negative stories when positive options are available. Any story can have a positive side but these companies have continued to write negatively biased articles. There time has now come. You say it’s a PR department, I disagree but fair enough. All I want is fair and reasonable reporting and not agenda driven gutter journalism that we currently get. I can handle bad Nrl stories but the Nrl public are amazing people and there are so many amazing things Nrl public/volunteers do, They don’t deserve that.
It started in November because they spent ages setting it up and by then the dopey merkin had got himself the arse after his farcical handling of club grants.

I would absolutely rather see it spent on the grassroots and couldn't give a f**k what News Ltd says. $150m would run the entire grassroots of the sport around the world for years. Instead it's paying people in Sydney to sell RL to RL people and provide PR for incompetent administrators.

unforgiven

Bench
It started in November because they spent ages setting it up and by then the dopey merkin had got himself the arse after his farcical handling of club grants.

I would absolutely rather see it spent on the grassroots and couldn't give a f**k what News Ltd says. $150m would run the entire grassroots of the sport around the world for years. Instead it's paying people in Sydney to sell RL to RL people and provide PR for incompetent administrators.

Many sports around the world have digital arms to create content and revenue streams.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

I guess your one of those self-righteous idiots that want the money spent on hospitals instead of stadiums to?

Interesting you said that $150 mil would run the entire grassroots of the sport around the world for YEARS. Considering that the Nrl themselves has projected it will now be giving the states/leagues over $80-$90 mil a year to grassroots. That’s $400mil over 5yrs. That trumps your $150 mil doesn’t it?

I guess your one of those self-righteous idiots that want the money spent on hospitals instead of stadiums to?

Interesting you said that $150 mil would run the entire grassroots of the sport around the world for YEARS. Considering that the Nrl themselves has projected it will now be giving the states/leagues over $80-$90 mil a year to grassroots. That’s $400mil over 5yrs. That trumps your $150 mil doesn’t it?
I guess you're one of those gullible idiots who believes the spin coming out of the NRL?

You know that the money the NRL gives the state bodies isn't just for grassroots RL don't you? Nah you probably don't.

Canard

Immortal

Precedent had already established pay TV as a major sports broadcaster around the world at that point.

My problem isn't with the NRL setting up a digital platform,it's the cost involved. Unless we are talking about doing the actual game production (which would be madness) it seems like massive overs.

In house media and TV should be be 10 times less then that figure.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Precedent had already established pay TV as a major sports broadcaster around the world at that point.

My problem isn't with the NRL setting up a digital platform,it's the cost involved. Unless we are talking about doing the actual game production (which would be madness) it seems like massive overs.

In house media and TV should be be 10 times less then that figure

Based on what? I dont know much about media company budgets, but im not sure you know much more. It just sounds like you are guessing....

I think its great that the ARLC is expanding its content production. Previously, it just ran football games and got royalties from IP deals. What they SHOULD be doing is using their exlusive rights to this IP to create these media/merch companies.

The ARLC could create a sports gear company and produce jerseys/gear in-house (and have it seen by millions of people every week for nothing). They could bring TV production in house, have full control over quality and sell either to stations or directly to fan.

Why let others make that money?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Bit of a furphy, in 2016 they spent $60mill on states and development. So if that’s going up,to $80-90 it’s actually $20-30mill MORE. Less of an increase than they are going to spend in “digital”, and I hope to god that is more than just good news stories being pumped out on a website and social media!

taipan

Referee
I'm nowhere near a techo,but surely having a digital dept such as the AFL does,provides opportunities for bringing in additional revenue via advertising.

I find it ironic, since the fumbleball mob have that facility,they have feel good pro AFL stories in the newspapers and the TV,and few negatives.Does that indicate it provides better PR machine and the media outlets almost feel a need to follow suit?
We on the other hand ATM have every single negative, seemingly finding its way into the press.Some justified BTW.

There are IMO the opportunities to expose more good news stories at grassroots level, currently neglected by a media looking for any off field incident to feast on.
Finally who knows what the lie of the technology land will be from 2022,maybe Grant has a fair idea then again maybe not.
I would have thought from a layman's perspective ,having such a dept(and yes it appears expensive),may provide some sort of platform to handle various forms of streaming, getting the games out to the public.

ATM looking around at advertising for junior rl in districts ,its' like hen's teeth and amateur.If the Digital Dept can assist to get around this problem, that would be plus.

What I will say, the Dept has to be a profitable side of the NRL admin, to justify the outlay.If a code continues to get bad news stories by the mainstream media, no matter how much you spend on grassroots,the mummies will say, shock, horror no, young Frosby can't get his feet dirty being tackled, he might end up bubbling in a pub's toilet..

Last edited: