What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC Commission Changes

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I havent seen the beatie-knights thing, but it the contraversy really that he though a Barcelona jumper was a Knights jumper?

A man confuses two almost identical tshirts. If that is really what passes for controversy these days, the ARLC is doing well.

Next weeks headline: "NRL rocked: NRL star and self proclaimed vegan eats an egg!!!!!"

John Fifita

Coach
I havent seen the beatie-knights thing, but it the contraversy really that he though a Barcelona jumper was a Knights jumper?

A man confuses two almost identical tshirts. If that is really what passes for controversy these days, the ARLC is doing well.

Next weeks headline: "NRL rocked: NRL star and self proclaimed vegan eats an egg!!!!!"
He was corrected 3 times on air and was too pig headed or dumb to listen and see his error. This is a job for him. He has no idea about the sport. This will end in tears like it does with very job he does.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
He was corrected 3 times on air and was too pig headed or dumb to listen and see his error. This is a job for him. He has no idea about the sport. This will end in tears like it does with very job he does.
Yep, keep focusing on the little stuff :thumbsup:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Some interesting comments from the chair

AS Australian Rugby League Chairman Peter Beattie hits the 100 day mark in the chair he sits down with Michael Carayannis.

Q: Approaching 100 days as chair what has surprised you?

We’ve got a very vibrant and active fan base and media that engages in the game on a day-to-day basis. That has its challenges that you need to respond to.

The level of engagement surprised me a little bit. No one in this game sits in the back seat. Everyone wants to have a say and that’s great long-term as long as we harness the energy in how we respond as a game the game will be better off. That makes it a tough job.

Q: What have you learnt about the game?

That the smallest slip can turn into a mountain. That’s part of the fun of the game. I’ve been in politics, that doesn’t worry me. The most important thing I’ve learnt is for the Commission to engage with the fans a lot more. We need to communicate a lot better … the Commission has been too aloof. The Commission needs to listen more that’s why I get out to games and don’t sit in the boxes.

Q: The public gaffes did they harm your credibility?

They did. I was doing too many jobs at the time. I was tired. Gus (Phil Gould) asked me a question which I didn’t know. If you talk about the shire in Queensland, it’s the shire council. I thought he was talking about a second or third grade competition that I didn’t know anything about. If he said who are Cronulla? I would’ve said the Sharks. You make mistakes.

The morning after the Commonwealth Games closing ceremony I was on Today and Karl Stefanovic and he said ‘what about that kid’. I turned around, right into the sun and couldn’t see the kid and it looked like the Knights (jersey). People will take the mickey out of me for all the time I’m here. I’m not worried about. If it were me I’d do the same thing.

Q: Why are you satisfied the NRL management is doing a good job?

We have gone through every element of what they are doing. We go through every aspect from integrity. I spent a lot of time with Todd (Greenberg) and he is a good CEO. He is a young man trying to make a difference. I’ve assessed the strategic plan and there will be rebranding. It’s important to stay vibrant.

Q: You mention strategic rebranding what changes are we likely to see?

It’s not us trying to be smart and shift a logo. You have to keep moving with the times. It’s a lot of the symbols we use. If you don’t take into account what’s happening on social media, if you don’t get the best value for your sponsors they will go somewhere elsewhere. It’s not gimmicks. This has to be a long-term strategic branding. That will happen. It has to be finalised yet.

Q: When you first took the job you mentioned expansion. What is a detailed path for clubs who want to play in the NRL?

I wanted to put it on the agenda so people knew it was our intention. We’ve met with the mayor of Cairns, we’ve met with PNG. We will continue to talk to people. I spoke to people at Redcliffe. It was a signal for people to get ready.

I don’t want any club to feel insecure. This is a three- to four-year thing. People have to prove themselves in an existing competition but they have to prove their club is viable and they have the assets and skills to run a club.

Q: Where do you envisage the game will be in 10 years?

Fans will get direct communication from us and have say in your game. There will be a personal relationship between you and the game. If we don’t do that we’re dead. I hope in 10 years time we have 18 teams in the competition and be a much more national game. We want as many women as men playing the game and free-to-air broadcast as well as Fox of the women’s competition.

Q: In one of your first interviews you said grassroots was your biggest passion. The NRL has allocated $10 million to be invested but are you struggling with a plan on how to invest that money?

No, we are not. We have to make sure we have the right plan. We are not going to rush it. Those discussions have taken place. We have to get it right. I don’t want to see this money wasted. It’ll take longer than we want.

Q: The game has predicted a $40 million surplus this year but there are suggestions the game could lose $20 million in 2022.

No. We will end up in the black and we will stay in the black. The Commission won’t have it any other way.

Q: So you’re saying on the record you will be in the black each year.

Yes. This year we will be in the black and we will intend to stay there. We saved $17 million, which included getting rid of consultants. We sacked 30 people. We will cut our costs accordingly. I don’t like sacking anyone but we had to reduce the size of the organisation. We all fly economy unless it’s over two hours.

Q: What is the latest with constitutional reform?

I said we needed six months to settle it down. I have promised the major players in this — give it six months and then I’ll engage. I gave NSW and Queensland a seat on the finance committee and just having them in the room that makes a difference.

Q: Has it been a mistake of the game to have next to no assets?

Yes. We need to. It’s going to be hard because we’re giving almost all the money from sponsorship deals to the clubs, players and grassroots. That’s the game. That’s where the money should go. It is a fundamental weakness of the game that we do not have an investment portfolio.

Q: How do you fix it?

You get someone like (Commissioner) Gary Weiss to sit down and work out a strategy. He has started work. Any organisation like the NRL that does not have long-term assets, it puts it on shaky ground. It’s our biggest weakness. You can ask me this in a year and it will still be early stages.

Q: Football-wise, as a spectator, have you enjoyed the product this year given the amount of penalties and penalty goals?

It’s a national sport to blame referees. I’m no different to anyone else. Bagging referees is what we do. It’s a bugger of a job being a ref but you do need to make sure you open the game up. Fans want to see an open game. You don’t want the game slowed down. Look at what’s happened with the shoulder charge, shot clocks, extra-time in finals series. It will work.

Q: If it doesn’t?

The game is alive and it moves. This is a reactive and sensitive organisation who listens. The refs are doing what they are asked to do I’m just asking people for a little bit of patience. No one likes to see a lot of penalties. If it works — and I believe it will — people will love an open game.

Q: Free-to-air TV ratings are down. Is there a concern of the slight dip?

It’s shown because the Commonwealth Games rated its socks off. They were extraordinary ratings and of course they were going to impact. Outside of that the ratings are good.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/6e417dfd9348b34dae330ccead1cc424

taipan

Referee
Putting aside any Beattie sales pitch.
NB Well, well, well.We saved $17m by getting rid of 30 people and consultants.It does in fact appear there was either waste, over staffing who were taken on when?
This is the point, I've been arguing all along.High price consultants for one.Funny that.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
18 teams with a more national spread seems like we are going to see Perth and Brisbane 2. Do we think he is talking rationalisation or relocation to include Adelaide in this? My thoughts are that Adelaide could be ready in a decade if they commit now to the project but all I can see is Perth & Bris getting added. I wonder what his thoughts are on NZ2?

By assets, are we talking investing in paper assets (shares, bonds etc) or are we talking about owning physical assets like Stadia?

taipan

Referee
18 teams with a more national spread seems like we are going to see Perth and Brisbane 2. Do we think he is talking rationalisation or relocation to include Adelaide in this? My thoughts are that Adelaide could be ready in a decade if they commit now to the project but all I can see is Perth & Bris getting added. I wonder what his thoughts are on NZ2?

By assets, are we talking investing in paper assets (shares, bonds etc) or are we talking about owning physical assets like Stadia?

No think it will be cash assets,with part to be used from time to time to make grants to new stadium development, to get management rights.Part for rainy days ,when the economy takes a 2008 style hit.One thing for sure, none of it will be used to prop up clubs fi they stuff up, unless it's a short term loan due to cash flow issues.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Putting aside any Beattie sales pitch.
NB Well, well, well.We saved $17m by getting rid of 30 people and consultants.It does in fact appear there was either waste, over staffing who were taken on when?
This is the point, I've been arguing all along.High price consultants for one.Funny that.

He also mentions the absolute need for the game to have a nest egg and that economy flights are only under 2 hours :)

taipan

Referee
He also mentions the absolute need for the game to have a nest egg and that economy flights are only under 2 hours :)

Don't have a problem with any of that.
Smith and Grant obviously didn't have problems with spending up big on flights and cars.Two hours,1 hour and they did it stacks of times.Grant living in Brisbane,Beattie is in Sydney.
Plus of course their highly paid consultants probably followed suit:oops:

And how many times are Beattie and Greenberg going to fly to Perth or Nth Qld or NZ pa Ever heard of tele conferencing.Beattie is domiciled in Sydney now.:rolleyes:

And guess what, getting rid of consultants (highly paid) all part of my perpetual comments and surplus/unneeded staff ,means future money in the bank.Money toward a nest egg.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
No think it will be cash assets,with part to be used from time to time to make grants to new stadium development, to get management rights.Part for rainy days ,when the economy takes a 2008 style hit.One thing for sure, none of it will be used to prop up clubs fi they stuff up, unless it's a short term loan due to cash flow issues.

Nice! Well, we are slowly and surely growing up as a game. I think in some ways having Union (internationally) and AFL (domestically) will rub off on us positively. Both World Rugby Union and AFL are well run organisations that administer shit sports. If we can get our act together at head office, our game is sensational as we showed in the early to mid-ninties when were genuinely challenging for # 1 sport in Australia and when Kangaroo tours meant as much as Wallaby tours.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nice! Well, we are slowly and surely growing up as a game. I think in some ways having Union (internationally) and AFL (domestically) will rub off on us positively. Both World Rugby Union and AFL are well run organisations that administer shit sports. If we can get our act together at head office, our game is sensational as we showed in the early to mid-ninties when were genuinely challenging for # 1 sport in Australia and when Kangaroo tours meant as much as Wallaby tours.

TBF Smith tried this in the first two years of the last deal and had it as a KPI in the Strat plan, then Greenberg went and spent it all. Maybe this time they will be able to not have to dip into it to keep the place afloat.

You've changed your tune Tai, weren't you saying in the other thread Smith was wrong to put money away for a rainy day and should have spent it all on grassroots and keeping clubs afloat?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
TBF Smith tried this in the first two years of the last deal and had it as a KPI in the Strat plan, then Greenberg went and spent it all. Maybe this time they will be able to not have to dip into it to keep the place afloat.

You've changed your tune Tai, weren't you saying in the other thread Smith was wrong to put money away for a rainy day and should have spent it all on grassroots and keeping clubs afloat?

I think you quoted the wrong guy - lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think you quoted the wrong guy - lol

They all look the same to me :)

But no it was Tai who said: "He ignored spending money on the bush and regionals, and left them screaming for help.His track record hardly speaks volumes for GOVERNANCE.But we have a future fund.That's all very nice, but if your grassroots is getting reamed,there is a forlorn future."

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

But no it was Tai who said: "He ignored spending money on the bush and regionals, and left them screaming for help.His track record hardly speaks volumes for GOVERNANCE.But we have a future fund.That's all very nice, but if your grassroots is getting reamed,there is a forlorn future."

I know he gets a bagging on here but I liked what Smith was trying to do. He saw the bigger picture. He just needed more time IMO and some more RL nouse around him.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know he gets a bagging on here but I liked what Smith was trying to do. He saw the bigger picture. He just needed more time IMO and some more RL nouse around him.

Second paragraph might have been one of the reasons! He had a vision for the games growth beyond its historic confines, others were nervous about what that would mean for them. He was on a hiding to nothing with the self importance and politics of the NRL clubs. It's no surprise Greenberg keeps his his head down and doesn't upset clubland.

Broadcast revenue of $225.8 million took the 2014 revenue to $344.9 million and total expenditure was $295 million, enabling the NRL to invest further into what is now a $50 million sustainability fund for the game's future.

Insisting that the game has never been in better financial shape, Smith said the NRL would look at expansion and the structure of the competition as a blank page and decide the ideal number of teams, where they should be based and the amount of games in the season before commencing negotiations for the next broadcast deal.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ce...re-teams-and-fewer-games-20150227-13qz2i.html

taipan

Referee

Haven't changed my tune FFS.But with you responding. I understand you tend to get lost in the translation.
The NRL is allocating $10m extra towards grassroots ,not holding all the funds back for the future Fund.No grassroots ,no future.Savings on expensive consultants via Smith are no longer there,that saved money can be used for growing the game and saving some for a rainy day.
Funny you ignored the money saved by ditching te consultants(courtesy Smiffy) as advised by Beattie,doesn't suit your agenda.

You're one of a kind, just a typical one who bags .

Perth Red

Post Whore
Haven't changed my tune FFS.But with you responding. I understand you tend to get lost in the translation.
The NRL is allocating $10m extra towards grassroots ,not holding all the funds back for the future Fund.No grassroots ,no future.Savings on expensive consultants via Smith are no longer there,that saved money can be used for growing the game and saving some for a rainy day.
Funny you ignored the money saved by ditching te consultants(courtesy Smiffy) as advised by Beattie,doesn't suit your agenda.

You're one of a kind, just a typical one who bags .

It also has much larger revenue so can spend more in every area, compared to revenue Smith was spending what the game could afford and putting some away, the same as Beattie is now saying is essential. You slated him for doing what the chairman is now saying they must do and you now agree is essential, hypocrite. The nrl significantly increased funding to state leagues out of the 2013 tv deal, and to clubs and put some away under smith which was spent by Greenberg on increased costs such as admin, video replay and integrity unit.

Re the consultants, Smith’s been gone since 2015, how come it’s taken till now if it was all such a waste of money?