What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arrival sci-fi movie

GongPanther

Referee
Saw this flick on Friday 11th.

A very good cerebral movie which keeps you on the edge of your seat through the entire movie.

Specials effects,the cinematography,all very impressive.Easily into the top 10 of sci-fi flicks.

A must see.

elyod138

Bench
The director, Denis Villeneuve, is doing the Blade Runner sequel too. He's one of the best directors working today.

bileduct

Coach
I liked the concept behind this film but the execution was lacking at times. The way all of the military characters were written was just infuriating to watch. The part were Louise and Ian were were allowed to enter the ship despite it being rigged to blow was inexplicable.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Is this an alien invasion movie where a major US city is the target (as usual)?

District 9 looks better by the minute.

t-ba

Post Whore
Bleh, not playing in Hong Kong, probably something to do with the furious anger when they superimposed the Oriental Pearl Tower on the HK skyline in their adds...Guess I'll just have to wait for a decent cam to see it.

Much Annoyed.

elyod138

Bench
Finally saw it, loved it. The crowd I saw it with were horrible, they were laughing in tense parts, making shooting noises and saying they should f**k up the aliens, yawning audibly and looking at their phones half the time, etc.
I liked the concept behind this film but the execution was lacking at times. The way all of the military characters were written was just infuriating to watch. The part were Louise and Ian were were allowed to enter the ship despite it being rigged to blow was inexplicable.
It was rigged to blow by two rogue soldiers, to stop them entering the ship they'd have to tell them why, giving away their dumb plan. They seemed willing to die for it, they took up arms when others came to investigate the situation after they stopped replying to command (they were the security detail). The extremism angle could have been fleshed out a bit more I guess but it wasn't really necessary.

bileduct

Coach
It was rigged to blow by two rogue soldiers, to stop them entering the ship they'd have to tell them why, giving away their dumb plan. They seemed willing to die for it, they took up arms when others came to investigate the situation after they stopped replying to command (they were the security detail). The extremism angle could have been fleshed out a bit more I guess but it wasn't really necessary.
I understood all of that.

Abbott and Costello could see the future and knew what was about to happen, yet allowed them to enter the ship regardless. Then by waiting until the last possible moment to intervene one of them ended up dying.

It just seemed like such a pointless part of the film.

GongPanther

Referee
Over the past year or so,Ex.Machina,10 Cloverfield Lane and Arrival have been very good sci-fi movies that have more substance to them than mindless action sequences.

Munky

Coach
I think super hero movies now dominate the mindless action box office. I'm glad that Sci Fi is going toward more personal stories.

The exception is Rogue One, I could watch X Wing battles infinitely.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
Finally saw it, loved it. The crowd I saw it with were horrible, they were laughing in tense parts, making shooting noises and saying they should f**k up the aliens, .

Sigh, cant this type wait for the next god awful Transformers to come out. Loved the film.

Eelectrica

Referee
I enjoyed it. Movie felt like a puzzle to be solved.
Happy to have a sci-fi movie that's not about shooting every snakehead that moves.

elyod138

Bench
While I will watch it I don't think its really necessary hey.
It's not necessary but I'm confident it can be a classic sci-fi movie in its own right. The director doesn't make bad films.

He has just signed up to adapt Dune into a new film too, that's a good sign that he did a great job on the Blade Runner sequel.

Latest posts