What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

hewi

Bench
Dragons did the right thing
Plenty of people had their say about the enormous contract signed by Brisbane Bronco Ben Hunt to play with St George-Illawarra for the next six seasons commencing in 2018. In some ways, I think it's potentially damaging to the game for Hunt to be valued at this kind of money. It places enormous pressure on all clubs who now need to negotiate with their own marquee players into the future; let alone their own off-contract players.

But the fact remains, while the NRL refuses to place controls or restrictions on the movement of NRL players between NRL clubs, player wages will continue to spiral out of control. Unfortunately, the market value of players is heavily influenced by the actions of clubs who are desperate to buy immediate success. Quite simply, an internal player draft would solve many of the issues in our game and provide greater support for the salary cap model we have in place.

More on this another time. Having said all that, let me say that I believe the Dragons have done exactly the right thing for their club. Under the rules that currently exist, they saw the opportunity to attract a marquee playmaker who can have a tremendous effect on the way their club performs on the field and the way it is perceived off the field. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

The Dragons have taken the plunge and invested heavily in Hunt being the man to take their club in the future. For the record, I believe they have done the right thing.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...dy-please-say-it-isnt-so-20170228-gumu48.html

Agreed, without a good half no team will go anywhere IMO

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons hit 15,000 members
Thu 2nd March, 12:00PM
A A

1488416462171.jpg

The St George Illawarra Dragons are proud to announce that 15,000 members have committed to the club for the 2017 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

Every member is in the draw to win in our 17 Prizes in 17 Days competition with over $7000 worth of prizes already handed out.

In 2017, the enhanced Red V program features improvements based directly on feedback from members to deliver greater flexibility, increased value and an expanded loyalty program.

Exclusive member benefits remain the foundation of member investment, including the best value tickets, savings on merchandise, access to players, exclusive member events and exclusive benefit items together with all that is new in 2017.

Members Choice is back in 2017 too. You can choose between the popular ISC Members Cap and the new and exclusive Dragons Member Scarf.

Or for those young at heart, a Kids Pack with a bucket hat, drawstring sports bag, autograph book and lanyard is available.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/03/02/dragons_hit_15_000_m.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Sele stoked by recognition
Thu 2nd March, 10:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra forward Hame Sele is pleased to be named in the Dragons' 21-man squad ahead of the Round 1 clash with the Penrith Panthers at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah on Saturday, March 4.

The local Kingsgrove junior has inched closer to a potential NRL debut following another tough pre-season with the Dragons.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/03/02/sele_stoked_by_recog.af_news.html

since77

Juniors
Exclusive member benefits remain the foundation of member investment, including the best value tickets, savings on merchandise, access to players, exclusive member events and exclusive benefit items together with all that is new in 2017.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/03/02/dragons_hit_15_000_m.html

Exclusive member benefits include watching on in disbelief while the Board fails to sack its incompetent coach.
Other benefits include watching the worst attacking side to wear the Red V in living memory, not needing to set aside time to watch semi finals, and listening to one of the great philosophical minds of the modern era expound upon such topics as;

• "A opposition try isn't to be taken too seriously if they score it off a kick"
  • "If the field was 98 meters long we might have won"
  • "We made the finals in 2015 and lost in golden point"
  • "How I taught Widdop to kick the ball into the opposition's legs"
  • "Josh Mc Crone is a 140 game veteran"
  • "Why I believe Kurt Mann is a reserve grade player"
  • "Its all about the D"
  • I can't control things that are out of my control"
  • "Why painting the gym is important"
  • "How to pick a bench of 4 players but only use 3 of them."
  • "Why every team needs a Jake Marketo"

Plus many more classic Paul Mc Gregor musings!

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt: Wayne told me what I wanted to hear
Thu 02 Mar, 2017, 6:00am
Big League, NRL.com

Tweet

Email
Print

image.ashx

Wayne Bennett remains committed to Ben Hunt despite the Broncos halfback's decision to move to the Dragons in 2018. Credit: Grant Trouville. Copyright: NRL Photos.
Broncos halfback Ben Hunt has opened up about his decision to leave Brisbane at the end of the 2017 season, describing it as one of the most agonising decisions of his life.

In his exclusive column in Big League this week, Hunt talks about the process he went through before deciding to join St George Illawarra on a lucrative five-year deal and coach Wayne Bennett's response when he informed him of his decision.

The master coach reaffirmed his commitment to his No.7 at the Broncos' season launch last Friday and Hunt said Bennett's willingness to stick by him this year were the soothing words he needed to hear.

"I had a good conversation with Wayne after I signed with the Dragons and he said he was committed to me as the Broncos halfback this year. That was what I wanted to hear from him," Hunt writes in Big League.

"I talked to a couple of my closer team-mates before I made my decision. They were guys I’ve known for a long time and the biggest message I got from them was they were happy to support me no matter what. They understood my decision and that made it a lot easier to tell the rest of the team.

"Everyone was really accepting, they understand what rugby league is like now and that you have to make these decisions."

The driving force behind Hunt's decision to walk away from the club with whom he first joined as a 12-year-old was the youngest person in his life, son Brady, and his partner Bridget Hagan.

Brady was born on October 7 last year and the 26-year-old said looking after his family has now become his primary concern.

"I didn’t really want to leave Brisbane, because that’s where I’ve spent a lot of my life, but it was the best decision for my family and I knew it was something I had to do," said Hunt.

"I became a father for the first time recently and it changes your perspective on everything. The past 10 years I’ve spent in senior football, it’s all been worrying about myself, but worrying about a small family is different and it affects the decisions you make.

"I decided what was best for my partner and what was best for my little boy long-term was to go to the Dragons."

But if Broncos fans had any concerns that Hunt may already have one eye on the Red V, he reassured them that he is more determined than ever to deliver Brisbane a premiership before he departs.

"Every season you’re desperate to be a winner, but knowing it’s more than likely going to be my last year at the Broncos, going out with the ultimate victory is very important to me," he said ahead of the season opener against the Sharks on Thursday night.

"I desperately want to win a premiership here before I leave and I think we’re in a really good position heading into the season."

http://www.nrl.com/hunt-wayne-told-me-what-i-wanted-to-hear/tabid/10874/newsid/104152/default.aspx

getsmarty

Immortal
Sele closing in on dream

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

2 Mar 2017, 1:13 p.m.
r0_0_1000_667_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Hame Sele was named in the Dragons preliminary 21-man squad this week.

DRAGONS young-gun Hame Sele is confident he’s edging closer to realising his NRL dream after being named in Paul McGregor’s preliminary 21-man squad for round one on Tuesday.

The Kingsgrove Colts junior has long been a standout at junior level for the club and was part of Illawarra’s reserve grade double-crown last season whilst still eligible for NYC football.

Along with Jacob Host and Luciano Leilua, Sele is one of several young-guns under lock and key at the Dragons and is hopeful of cracking the top-grade in 2017.

“I was pretty excited to see my name in the 21,” Sele said.

“It’s my goal this year to get a crack and make my [NRL] debut.

“Growing up at Kingsgrove I’ve come through Harold Matts, SG Ball and 20s to now playing [NSW] Cup, I’m just working my way up slowly, and working hard on the little things to become a first-grade player.

“Hopefully I do eventually get that call up but I’ve just got to concentrate each week on playing my best footy.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4503646/sele-closing-in-on-dream/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Head keen for Illawarra season start
Blake Edwards

Fri 3rd March, 02:00PM
A A

1488510570762.jpg

Illawarra coach Mathew Head is looking forward to the challenges of his new position ahead of his team's season opener against the Penrith Panthers at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah on Saturday, March 4.

Head played 78 NRL games for the St George Illawarra Dragons and Wests Tigers before transitioning into coaching.

The former halfback plied his trade in the junior representative system at Balmain, before joining the club in 2016 as the coach of the Under 20s.

With plenty of his experience under his belt working with younger players, Head is excited about the challenge of working in a new environment with a mix of youth and experience.

Head admits he is aware that the role may have its difficulties balancing both part-time and full-time players, but he is impressed by the playing group's willingness to learn and better themselves.

Additionally, Head is pleased to see the club's young talent get an opportunity at this level, and is equally excited to see Mose Masoe return to the field.

Masoe hasn't set foot on the field since he played for St Helens in the 2015 Super League grand final.

"The transition into my new role has been pretty good to be honest. The squad have been very welcoming and are eager to learn, listen, and get better as players and individuals," Head said.

"I'm excited to see some young kids get a run this weekend, and I am looking forward to seeing big Mose Masoe take the field for the first time.

"Every encounter I have with Mose is always a positive one. He is a positive person who always has a smile on his face, so it's really pleasing to see him fit and ready to go after being sidelined for such a long time."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/03/03/head_looking_forward.af_news.html

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons veteran Jason Nightingale still loving the game
Andrew Parkinson
3 Mar 2017, 7 a.m.
r459_191_3534_1742_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

New friends: St George Illawarra winger Jason Nightingale was caught by new teammate Paul Vaughan when the Dragons hosted Canberra at Kogarah last season. Picture: John Veage

He has played 221 games in the Red V but Jason Nightingale isn’t about to start taking anything for granted.

Once you do put things in perspective you realise how lucky we are then it’s pretty hard not to enjoy the game. - Jason Nightingale

The 30-year-old Renown United junior will play his 11th season in first grade for St George Illawarra in 2017, an achievement the one-club man is proud of.

While last season was a difficult one for the 2010 premiership winner, Nightingale is enjoying his football as much as ever and has a simple goal for the Dragons – improvement.

“I think improvement is the first thing and that’s not saying a lot. That’s not shooting for the stars. But that’s the first thing to do as far as what happens on the field. We need to improve. I think that’ll happen early and we can build from there,” he said.

“Personally I just want to keep enjoying my footy. I always have and I think a big part of enjoying your footy is what long term success is about. It’s easy when you come back to places like [your junior club] and remember why you started playing to remind yourself, especially as you get towards the end of your career, to have a bit of gratitude while you’re still in the game [for] how much you enjoyed it as a kid.

“To still have that enjoyment factor even though there’s a bit more on the line, we’re in a very high performance industry, but that just adds to the excitement and once you do put things in perspective you realise how lucky we are then it’s pretty hard not to enjoy the game.”

The 31-Test New Zealand international is also keen to get back to his own spiritual home – UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah – for the round one clash with Penrith on Saturday.

“It’s my home ground and WIN is probably my second favourite. And that’s just from the memories and the good times I’ve had there,” he said.

“And ultimately the support you get there when you’re at your home ground from friends and family and people that I’ve known throughout my whole career. Those type of people always turn up to the home games. It always gives me a buzz to be able to play at such a great traditional venue and home ground that has seen so much success for the Dragons over the years.”

Kick-off is at 4pm on Saturday.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4490748/jason-still-loving-his-footy/?cs=3833

getsmarty

Immortal
Tyson Frizell says St George Illawarra Dragons' culture change has them ready for Penrith Panthers
Andrew Parkinson
3 Mar 2017, 5 a.m.
r134_454_3247_5076_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Big year ahead: St George Illawarra's representative back-rower Tyson Frizell is ready for the season opener at Kogarah. Kick-off is at 4.30pm. Picture: Chris Lane

A change of culture has Tyson Frizell confident St George Illawarra will secure a top eight finish this season.

The Dragons start their 2017 NRL campaign against Penrith at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah on Saturday afternoon looking to banish the disappointment of last season with an opening victory over the highly-fancied Panthers.

Frizell, who has overcome a back injury, will lead a strong Dragons pack that will feature new signings Paul Vaughan and Cameron McInnes.

And the 25-year-old NSW and Australia representative believes the Dragons will show vast improvement on last season thanks to hard work – and a change in culture.

“[We’ve worked on] a lot of the stuff off the field [as well]. Trying to change a bit of the culture that was starting to sneak into the club. I don’t think we coped too well with the outside noise and the media with everything going on with footy,” Frizell said.

“I think the boys have learnt to deal with that now. It was kind of tough on a few of the younger boys. It was the first time that has kind of happened to that group of players. I wouldn’t say it didn’t affect us at all because I’d probably be lying. No doubt it wasn’t the overall factor in why we were losing but it did contribute to the stress and wanting to perform.”

That change in culture has benefited the vibe around the club at training during a grueling pre-season. Which is why Frizell believes Dragons fans can feel confident looking ahead to the new season.

Definitely top eight, for sure. Nothing less than a final. With the squad that we do have at the moment I’m pretty confident. - Tyson Frizell

“The mood around training. The hard work that we’ve put in throughout the pre-season. It’s kind of hard to say at this time of the year, not playing too much footy and doing a lot of training but we’re very hopeful and very confident,” Frizell said.

“We’ve put in a lot of hard work this off season to fix up those areas where we weren’t so good last year. Off the back of that hard work I’m sure we’re going to have a good year.”

Frizell has also set team and personal goals. For him, it is to continue to progress as a player and develop his consistency. For the team, it is reaching the semi-finals as a bare minimum.

“Definitely top eight for sure. Nothing less than a final. With the squad that we do have at the moment I’m pretty confident. It’s the only option we have for ourselves,” he said.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4494318/dragons-culture-change/?cs=3833

FlameThrower

Bench
There is so much. negativity on social media and general media about the Club, Coach and our style of attack. Most 'experts already written us off for this season.Surely the players must read and talk about this between themselves. It would just take a few players to drop 10% intensity and the whole team looks like a rabble. The side has in my eyes at least, never really looked like a happy side on the field . I'm sure the last few years of crap and constant bagging by fans and media must have taken its toll??? That's my theory anyway.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
There is so much. negativity on social media and general media about the Club, Coach and our style of attack. Most 'experts already written us off for this season.Surely the players must read and talk about this between themselves. It would just take a few players to drop 10% intensity and the whole team looks like a rabble. The side has in my eyes at least, never really looked like a happy side on the field . I'm sure the last few years of crap and constant bagging by fans and media must have taken its toll??? That's my theory anyway.

I agree FT.
Negativity will kill any enthusiasm any team may possess and add to it a lack of faith in the game plan, style of play and bon-belief in the coach and you have what we all call "Dragons Footy"
Take the Tigers last night. What a happy bunch they looked. Negative impact may have been Farah, now he's gone and the team suddenly looks like a RL contender. Now look at the Rabbits. I know it's a big call after 1 game but it looked pretty obvious to me.
If McGregor is the negative catalyst, and I think 99% of us would think so, then we won't be a contender until he's removed. If he is removed I would expect our team to really bounce, play some footy and even make a run for the finals.
We have the team and the players, just not the right coach formula.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons show off new power style in round one win

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

5 Mar 2017, 12:30 p.m.
r0_0_3560_2373_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NO ANSWER: Penrith struggled with Tariq Sims and the Dragons pack in the middle of the park on Saturday. Picture: Getty Images

ALL preseason long Dragons coach Paul McGregor insisted it was his forwards that could turn around the club’s faltering attack.

Skeptics wondered what that would look like but they got a good insight into the Dragons’ new “power game” philosophy in their massive round one win over Penrith on Saturday.

The Dragons ran in seven tries for the first time since round 21, 2015 with five four-pointers going to forwards, including a hat-trick to back-rower Joel Thompson.

Bookends Paul Vaughan and Russell Packer also had impressive, and lengthy, first stints with the Panthers pack seemingly having no answers in the middle of the park.

McGregor said post-match that dominance in the middle was part of a game plan his big-men executed to a tee.

“The boys went out there, had a lot of intent with what they did, backed their fitness and came up well,” McGregor said.

“When a back-rower [Thompson] scores three tries it’s nice but I said right through the preseason that our strength is in our forward pack.

“We've got two experienced front-rowers coming on for two experienced [ones] that come off - not many clubs do have that and it works really well. Obviously Jack de Belin’s a special player that can play long minutes – he probably could’ve played the 80.

"I'm carrying that fourth person on the bench as more of a utility this year where I shared the minutes last year. The guys are a lot fitter so I expect them to play more minutes as middles.”

De Belin – who scored a solo try to give his side a 14-point cushion at halftime – said the Dragons big men were confident they could put it over the Penrith pack.

“We had a lot of belief,” de Belin said.

“We’ve had a great preseason and we had total confidence in our ability and you could see they really couldn’t hang with us, we were too strong, too powerful, too fast.

“To come out against a side like Penrith that have been rapped pretty hard and considered heavyweight favourites it was a great win.

“Now we’ve got to be able to back that up. It’s a 26-round competition and you’re only as good as you last performance so that’s the challenge for us now.”

De Belin has been asked to play various roles in recent seasons, but believes the Dragons pack is as balances as he’s ever seen.

“It’s pretty good to playing in the forward pack we’ve got,” he said.

“There’s some big, strong, powerful boys and we were pretty good through the middle of the field. Playing alongside some of those big boys certainly makes my job easier.

“Mary’s given us free reign to play the way we like to play. You’ve obviously got to stick to some structure but for someone like me who likes to get my hands on the ball an use other people, it’s good to be able to do that.

“Someone like Russell [Packer] is just going to carry the ball strong and hard so everyone knows their role and we’ve just got to play it the best we can.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4508154/power-game-comes-up-trumps-for-dragons/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Masoe makes successful return
Mon 6th March, 12:35PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons prop Mose Masoe made a successful return from successive knee injuries in Illawarra's unfortunate 28-6 loss to the Penrith Panthers in the Intrust Super Premiership on Saturday.

Masoe made his first appearance since St Helens' 2015 Super League premiership win, and said it was his lungs - not his knee - which were giving him grief by game's end.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/03/06/masoe_makes_successf_2039588404.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons on mission to reignite Widdop’s fire

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

7 Mar 2017, 1:08 p.m.
r0_0_3000_2000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Try time: Gareth Widdop dives over the score against Penrith in Saturday's season-opener at UOW Jubilee Oval. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

ST GEORGE Illawarra’s forwards are on a mission to provide the platform for off-contract playmaker Gareth Widdop to find career-best form.

The English international became the focal point of the Dragons stuttering attack last year, unfairly according to teammate Joel Thompson.

After the stunning 42-10 demolition of Penrith at Kogarah on Saturday, Thompson declared the NRL will see Widdop firing this season.

“Poor Gaz, he takes a fair bit of the criticism, which is unfair on him a lot,” Thompson said on Tuesday.

“We all need to have to take (last year) on the chin, we all put our hand up and rip in.

“Gaz had a great game, he’s worked really hard and we look forward to him performing like that, week in, week out.”

Widdop’s two-try effort was only overshadowed by Thompson’s personal haul of three, including a first-half double.

It means the Indigenous All Stars back-rower has already matches his try-scoring haul from each of the past three seasons. Admitting the upset victory over the highly-fancied Panthers was fuelled by being written off in the pre-season, Thompson knows the Dragons must maintain the standard against Parramatta at WIN Stadium on Sunday.

“We had the belief here, everyone was writing us off,” he said. “Everywhere you looked, everyone had us at the bottom of the table.

“But we know what we have here as a group and the quality of players we have here.

“So we need to create that belief and put in performances like that. We need to build from last week.”

With Broncos playmaker Ben Hunt signed on a multi-million dollar, five-year deal to join the Dragons, Widdop’s future in Wollongong is in doubt.

He remains in negotiations with Dragons officials, amid a possible return to England at the end of the year.

Thompson said he was unsure about Josh Dugan’s intentions to stay at the Dragons beyond this season.

Dugan is also off contract, with the fullback considering a new three-year deal to stay at the Dragons. However, it is expected the contract would come with a direction to make a career shift to the centres, after a failed moved to make the switch last year when Kurt Mann started the season at fullback.

“I’m not too sure, he keeps it all pretty close to himself,” Thompson said of Dugan’s future.

“He’ll decide what’s best for him going forward and whatever he does, we back him 100 per cent.

“He’s a high quality player, a world-class player and we want him to do that, week in and week out.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-on-mission-to-reignite-widdops-fire/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Field defies the doubters
Wed 8th March, 02:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons utility Jai Field has defied the doubters of his young career after making his NRL debut against the Penrith Panthers in Round 1 of the NRL Telstra Premiership.

Field described his debut as a "dream come true" and said he'll be looking to build on it against the Parramatta Eels at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Sunday, March 12.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/03/08/field_defies_the_dou.html

getsmarty

Immortal
How St George Illawarra Dragons landed halfback Ben Hunt on $6 million dollar deal
nathan_ryan.jpg

• March 8, 2017 1:29pm
  • Nathan Ryan@nath_ryan
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
THE extraordinary lengths St George Illawarra went to lure Ben Hunt to the club have been revealed, including coach Paul McGregor’s timely arrival at a key meeting on his jet ski.

Having missed out on Luke Keary, Lachlan Coote and Corey Norman, the Red V needed to land a big fish and the pursuit of Hunt shows their persistence and creativity.

Three meetings, a tour of Wollongong, a look at the big men on their books, a head turning get-together on the beach with McGregor, who arrived on a jet ski, and assistance for his partner to study at university. After all that, they got their man.

“We took Ben to the best unit in Wollongong,” Dragons’ Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward told the Market Watch podcast.

“I said to him ‘Paul McGregor’s a few k’s down to the next beach’. He said ‘is Paul coming?’ I said ‘yes he is, just hold on a minute’. Mary’s got a great jet ski and we could see Mary coming along the beach, get out on the beach (and) off his jet ski.”

786aea1c097a3a8008995075803ce09d

Ben Hunt of Brisbane in action.Source: News Corp Australia
At that point the No.7 had “spoken to three clubs” but it wasn’t until their third meeting they started talking money and terms.

After their initial get-together the Dragons left impressed that Hunt came to them with his own set of criteria.

Live stream the Dragons’ Round 2 clash with the Eels this weekend on FOX SPORTS. Get your free 2-week FOXTEL PLAY trial and start watching in minutes. SIGN UP NOW!

It’s fitting as Hunt ticked every box on their list.

But with the likes of Chad Townsend, Josh Reynolds, Luke Brooks and Shaun Johnson also off-contract, why Hunt?

“We needed to go out (to market) and get an established halfback. We’re also looking for a player that played on the ball. I know you guys [media] are pretty critical at the moment but I’ll give you the reason why we (signed him),” Millward explained.

“First of all, if you look at Hunt over the last three years, he’s been in the top three for try assists. Last year everyone said he didn’t have a great year. Cooper Cronk had 23 try assists, Johnathan (Thurston) had 22 and Ben had 21.

Ben Ikin, Nathan Ryan and Ben Glover are joined by Dragons recruitment boss Ian Millward to discuss the club’s recruitment plan and why it revolves around Ben Hunt.

You can also subscribe via iTunes or for Android users, listen on the iPP Podcast Player app.

“In 2014 he had a fantastic year and made the Four Nations. In 2015 he made the grand final. In 2016 he had a positional change.

“Those previous two seasons he played on the ball: This means he can play left and right as a true seven.

“When (halves coach) Kevvy Walters left the Broncos in 2016 he was locked in on the right.

“In all our video analysis and all our stats he was still in the top three in some of the key elements we were looking for.”

The other key indicator for the Dragons in making the signing was Hunt’s age.

9bcf631ca123315153788b94253974a1

Ben Hunt of Brisbane scores a try.Source: News Corp Australia
While the game’s most dominant halves, Thurston and Cronk are 33, Hunt turns 27 at the end of the month.

With a shortage of quality halves on the market, the Dragons knew it would take a bold move to pry the Brisbane product out of Red Hill.

Enter the five-year-deal with an option for an additional season worth $6 million.

Traditionally the Broncos refuse to offer contracts longer than three years.

In fact, only three players in the club’s history have signed a four-year-deal.

They were Darren Lockyer, Israel Folau and Jack Reed but Millward said the Broncos upped the ante late in negotiations in an effort to make Hunt the fourth player to join that illustrious list.

“He’s 26, with 150 (plus) games under his belt (and) we felt there was way more improvement in him,” he explained.

“I know everyone talks about the money side but the salary cap has gone up and you have to go back to supply and demand and we weren’t the only club in for him.

285e8d4c4d33c4e8086f1226bddfee6c

Ben Hunt gets a kick away as he is tackled by Jason Nightingale.Source: News Corp Australia
“(People don’t realise) the lengths the Broncos went at the death to keep Ben and the amount of money and the amount of years. They don’t normally push over three years and they offered longer.

“We have a bit of a vision for where we want to go forward and were really happy with Ben in regards to his personality off the field.

“We’re happy with what we see as a player moving forward but also very happy with what we see as a person.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...l/news-story/f4c9c414c4e056f1b57347454c754ebd

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons’ rookie Field’s No.1 priority

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

8 Mar 2017, 12:40 p.m.

COULD boom teenager Jai Field take over from Josh Dugan as the Dragons’ long-term fullback?

r0_0_3746_2497_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Attack: Jai Field. Picture: Getty Images

Used a bench utility in his NRL debut in the win over Penrith on Saturday, Field believes his playing future could be wearing the No.1 jersey.

Dugan is considering a new deal with the club, which is likely to see him shift to the centres permanently as early as next year.

After experimenting with Kurt Mann at the back last season, coach Paul McGregor now has emerging talent Matt Dufty as another option.

However, Field said he was eyeing a shift there, instead of playing in the halves alongside captain Gareth Widdop, or Broncos playmaker Ben Hunt, who arrives in Wollongong next year.

“I’ve played a lot of fullback growing up,” he said.

“I’d like to play fullback down the track when I get more size, probably the body is not up to playing fullback at the moment.

“I’m a natural runner, fast and good on my feet, so maybe I’ll look to play there down the track.”

Dugan has played representative games for NSW and Australia in the centres, but, coming off contract at the end of the season, is considering his options for next year.

McGregor has backed Field as a utility option this year, as his forward pack was a dominant force in the shock 42-10 triumph over Penrith.

Teammate Joel Thompson declared Field has the potential to be a “superstar”.

“He’s still very young, but he’s going to be a superstar,” Thompson said.

“He’s got all the talent in the world, but it would be good to just bring him on with bits and pieces (playing time) along the year.”

Field admits he has had to adjust to McGregor’s utility plan, coming on with 11 minutes remaining when the Dragons had already banked the two competition points.

“It’s a little bit different, I’ve always been out there getting a feel of the game straight away,” Field said.

“… Minutes are minutes in the NRL, it was good I got that debut out of the way.

“The game was wrapped up, so I got a little free rein to do whatever I could do.”

St George Illawarra next assignment is against Parramatta at WIN Stadium on Sunday.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4516430/dragons-rookie-fields-no1-priority/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
I'm excited by what's to come: McGregor
Thu 09 Mar, 2017, 3:45pm
By Chris Kennedy ‌, National Correspondent , NRL.com
@CKennedy80

image.ashx

Dragons players celebrate during their win over the Panthers. Copyright: NRL Photos.
Dragons coach Paul McGregor isn't carried away after one thumping win but has praised the efforts of his team and says he's excited by what's to come from them this season.

The under-fire Dragons scored the second-fewest points of any team last year and lost their first-choice halfback in Drew Hutchison (ACL) in the pre-season, having parted ways with senior playmaker Benji Marshall.

It left few pundits expecting much from the Red V in the Round 1 meeting with competition favourites Penrith but McGregor's squad put those doubts to the sword with a powerful 42-10 thrashing at Kogarah.

McGregor said fellow Round 1 winners Parramatta would present a much different challenge at Wollongong this Sunday and has challenged his players to match the Eels' aggression in the middle.

"I'm certainly excited for what's to come," McGregor said on Thursday.

"[The win over Penrith] was a nice way to close out a tough pre-season. The performance reflected how hard they worked and the boys got a nice result in the first game at home in Kogarah.

"I know how hard they work and how determined they were going into Round 1 so it didn't surprise me but it was nice to see that it was executed under pressure."

ad

The Dragons' pack powered through the middle of Penrith with props Paul Vaughan (189 metres) and Russell Packer (174 metres), back-rowers Joel Thompson (eight tackle busts and three tries) and Tyson Frizell (three offloads and 131 metres) and lock Jack De Belin (five offloads, seven tackle busts, 155 metres) all pumping out absurd numbers.

The most notable part of the Eels' win over the Sea Eagles – aside from halfback Corey Norman's sublime kicking game – was the aggression from the middle men with Suaia Matagi (151 powerful metres), Tim Mannah (173 metres) and Nathan Brown (156 metres, three offloads) all making big contributions.

"They get their energy from their aggression and their aggression comes from their defence and their line speed so it's certainly something we have to look at as a group and appreciate what they're bringing and break what they're bringing," McGregor said.

"It's going to be physical. We're not hiding away from that and they won't be either so we're looking forward to it. It's a good challenge. It's a completely different style of defence to what we came up against with the Panthers. The Panthers get forward and like to slide where [the Eels] are very aggressive and get off their line hard."

McGregor tipped a continuation of the strategy with exciting rookie Jai Field coming in for limited minutes as he eases his way into first grade.

"Jai as we know is an exciting young player, he's only a kid. To get a taste at home for the first time at Kogarah, under the circumstances was nice," McGregor said.

"Nothing changes too much [with] our 21. Luce (back-rower Luciano Leilua) came into our 21 obviously but other than that it's the same squad."

http://www.nrl.com/im-excited-by-whats-to-come-mcgregor/tabid/10874/newsid/104449/default.aspx

getsmarty

Immortal
SEA CHANGE FOR GARETH

The Dragons have tossed up the idea of captain Gareth Widdop moving to fullback next season as the club continues to try and strengthen its roster.

Widdop played his best game in the Red V last Saturday at Kogarah, where Paul McGregor’s side submitted the most committed display of the opening round.

Widdop has a strong history playing fullback, where he was a standout for the Melbourne Storm in the under 20s.

It’s interesting to note Widdop has been paired with 10 different halves partners in his three seasons at the Dragons.

With the Dragons discussing the idea of Widdop playing fullback, the club wants Josh Dugan to move into the centres if he remains at the club.

Dugan’s agent is currently sounding out rival clubs to try and test his market value and started with an asking price of $1.1 million each for both Dugan and Widdop at the Red V.

The club immediately said no to the price tag, instead tabling Widdop an offer of around $550,000 and Dugan around $700,000.

The Dragons have told Dugan they want to make him one of the best-paid centres in the game.

And they have discussed the prospect of moving to fullback with Widdop next year when Ben Hunt arrives. Hunt’s big contract has put plenty of Dragons players offside.

Considering where the Dragons have finished over the last three seasons, you could mount a fairly easy argument about Widdop and Dugan being paid above market value.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...s/news-story/dde9f02198d01ddf52940bda16359725

Latest posts