What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

Red V for life

Juniors
$1.1 million EACH!

To quote Darryl Kerrigan of 'The Castle' fame:

"Tell em they're dreamin!".

I can believe the figure is ballpark what Duges has asked, but if the story is accurate, Widdop's asking price is so over-inflated it's not funny.

I'm in the minority that would like both retained for 2 years and hopefully a deal can be struck, but I can't justify the price tags.

getsmarty

Immortal
Lafai repaying the faith
Fri 10th March, 02:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra centre Tim Lafai is keen to build on his solid start to the season against the Parramatta Eels on Sunday, March 12 at WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

Lafai discussed how his tough pre-season proved vital for first grade selection and the vibe around training following the Dragons' season-opening win over the Panthers.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/03/10/lafai_repays_the_fai..html

getsmarty

Immortal
McInnes slots into spine
Fri 10th March, 09:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra hooker Cameron McInnes has credited the chemistry of halves Josh McCrone and Gareth Widdop following the Dragons' Round 1 win over the Panthers.

McInnes also discussed his first try for the team and where the Dragons' Round 2 clash with the Parramatta Eels will be won this Sunday night at WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/03/10/mcinnes_slots_into_s.af_news.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Why St George Illawarra have issued Josh Dugan NRL contract deadline

• March 10, 2017 6:00am
  • Nathan Ryan@nath_ryan
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
WONDERING why St George Illawarra have put a deadline on Josh Dugan accepting their offer for a new three-year-deal?

Having tabled the Test star a contract extension worth around $2.2 million with the understanding he’s viewed as a long-term centre, Dugan has until the end of next week to accept the offer or essentially start looking for a new home.

With Dugan the first move in the recruitment chess game, the former Raider holds the power of several off-contract players’ futures in his hands.

If Dugan accepts, he takes a centre spot, likely the right edge he has made a home for himself in the green and gold at Test level.

He’ll also become the highest paid centre in the game.

MARY AND HIS JET SKI: HOW DRAGONS LANDED HUNT

9e015844b92f2fef9974cc13a40069f0

Josh Dugan of the Dragons shrugs off a tackle.Source: News Corp Australia

With Euan Aitken cementing himself as a first grader, an acceptance from Dugan would likely see him move to the left side and take the spot Tim Lafai and Taane Milne have battled for this season.

Aitken recently extend his deal until the end of 2020 and the club has already factored exciting NYC backs Reuben Garrick and Patrick Herbert into their plans for 2018 and 2019.

But Lafai, Milne, Levi Dodd, Kalifa Faifai Loa, Yaw Kiti Glymin, Kurt Mann, Jason Nightingale, and Izaac Thompson are all off-contract.

Dugan’s decision will have an impact on most of these men.

If Dugan accepts, it means players will leave.

If he stays then others have a far greater chance of securing a new deal.

That’s why the Dragons have put a deadline on the deal.

It’s understood the Dragons have drawn up a priority list when it comes to retention.

Gareth Widdop, Jack De Belin, and Dugan sit at the top.

But there are outside backs on that list that the club doesn’t want to risk by Dugan taking several months to decide if he’ll re-sign.

That way their recruitment team have a clear picture of what direction they need to go.

They know they have talents other clubs will be eager to get their hands on.

f260b0425afaa204dcfd8a1a86509942

Josh Dugan scores playing centre for Australia.Source: Getty Images
Samoan international Lafai is on a handsome contract for this season, a deal which makes him one of the higher-paid centres in the game.

Having trained the house down over the pre-season, he’ll have no shortage of interest with Melbourne keen on signing him just a couple months back.

The Storm were close to signing Lafai on a one-year deal after Lafai had fallen out of favour with Paul McGregor and lost his starting spot to Milne but a release couldn’t be finalised.

It’s understood the Dragons have refused to rule out the possibility of re-signing Lafai, while former Rooster Milne is sure to have clubs lining up for him after a breakout 2016.

It was only late last year the Dragons started talks to extend the 21-year-old although an agreement was never finalized.

New Zealand international Nightingale is also off-contract and told the club he wants to play on.

Turning 31 in September, the winger is eyeing a one-year extension but there is no hurry to complete the paperwork with some of the younger talents taking priority.

As it stands, the ball’s in Dugan’s court.

It’s previously said he wants to stay at the Dragons but knows this contract will be the most important deal he signs.

“My thinking is I’ve probably only got one big contract left in me,” Dugan told foxsports.com.au in January.

“I’m 27 this year, my thinking is I want to be playing some good footy for the rest of my career, but I think this is my last big contract — the age starts kicking in and the numbers start going down.”

There’s been plenty of speculation that Dugan could pack up his boots and play rugby abroad if he can’t attract the kind of coin he wants in league.

It’s a decision the 26-year-old will have to make and soon.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...e/news-story/ef00f9a98b425aed616235b56471f801

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons locked and loaded to deliver more firepower

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

10 Mar 2017, 8:15 a.m.

ST GEORGE Illawarra’s forwards inflicted all the damage on Penrith, but winger Nene Macdonald is determined to show why he’s the Dragons’ biggest try-scoring weapon this year.

r0_0_5184_3451_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Double act: Jacob Hind and Paul Vaughan. Picture: Robert Peet

Joel Thompson crossed for three tries, as the pack delivered five of their seven tries, in a shock 42-10 demolition against the Panthers to start the season at Kogarah.

But while Canberra recruit Paul Vaughan was among the Dragons’ stand-outs, Macdonald wants to show why the club signed him in Sunday night’s clash with Parramatta at WIN Stadium.

Macdonald was in full flight at the Gold Coast last season, including a five-week burst where he scored seven tries.

The 22-year-old is ready to “go toe-to-toe” on Parramatta’s Semi Radradra, who is bound for French rugby union at the end of the year.

“I rate him one of the best wingers in the game, it will be a challenge,” Macdonald said.

“I’ll just go toe-to-toe with him, he’s a big body and I’m a big body and just see what happens.

“It will be tough, but it will be exciting. I’m good mates with him as well, but on the field we go hard.”

While Penrith were stunned by St George Illawarra’s opening round onslaught, Vaughan is expecting a searching test against Parramatta at WIN Stadium on Sunday.

The Eels were impressive in 20-12 win over Manly to start the season.

“Parra have got a great forward pack and they’re pretty aggressive with their line speed as well,” Vaughan said.

“We’re prepared and we know what we’re coming up against.”

Meanwhile, NSW representative player Tyson Frizell has sent a warning to the NRL, declaring he is fully fit after worrying his career might be over last year.

r0_0_3000_1926_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Strike: Dragons recruit Nene Macdonald is up against Semi Radradra on Sunday. Picture: Ryan Pierse/Getty Images

Frizell starred in a losing State of Origni cause, but suffered a back injury in the Four Nations tournament and has undergone an extensive rehabilitation process to be able to start the new season.

“It was all solved during the pre-season, it’s not going to be an ongoing thing any more,” he said.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...and-loaded-to-deliver-more-firepower/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons hooker Cameron McInnes fostering tight culture at new club
Local Sport>Adam Pengilly12 Mar 2017, 8:26 a.m.
/Talking tough: Dragons recruit Cameron McInnes. Photo: Adam McLean

His decision to shun social media meant he knew nothing of the barbs levelled at his new club before he arrived. And Cameron McInnes has urged his Dragons teammates to stop thumbing on their phones and start talking to become one of the tightest sides in the NRL.

r105_57_777_435_w848_h477_fmax.jpg

McInnes and his fiance Rachel. Photo: Facebook profile from 2013

Relishing a new lifestyle in Wollongong, which also spurred him to propose to his long-time partner Rachel atop one of the city's lookouts, McInnes' probing dummy-half play isn't the only culture change the ex-Rabbitoh has brought to the joint venture.

The 23-year-old has axed all his social media accounts and has helped foster greater communication in a squad boasting several new faces in 2017.

And on the evidence of a round one beating of pre-season premiership favourites Penrith it's working.

"Like everybody you get too attached to your phone and I asked myself, 'what are you on it for?' I don't get my motivation from putting photos up of me doing things and I don't need to show people what I'm doing," McInnes said. "And to be honest, I don't really care what other people are doing either.

"I like to stay in my own little bubble and it keeps your mind clearer. You don't have to listen to criticism and other things that might not be true. For me, that works.

"All meeting rooms [are phone free] and at lunchtime we make sure we're off the phones and talking. It's only small things like that [which help]. You just get to know each other better and it's hard to get to know each other when you get caught up in your phone."

It is only a small sample size, but the Dragons' summer recruitment blitz, which netted McInnes, out-of-favour Raider Paul Vaughan and ex-Titan Nene McDonald, might have been a good one if their opening-round performance is any guide.

And they will all wear the Red V for the first time in Wollongong on Sunday night hoping to end the Dragons' four-game losing run against the Eels.

Not that McInnes expects anything less than a team capable of playing finals football, despite the doom and gloom that has hovered over the Dragons since the end of last year.

"To be honest, my perception [of the Dragons] was different to the wider public," he said. "When I arrived here and heard people say stuff about Mary [coach Paul McGregor] ... I honestly had no idea.

"We definitely see ourselves as a finals footy team at least. Now it's about putting it together and building on that round-one performance. I'm sure we turned a few heads on the weekend, now the best thing is to back that up with another good performance.

"Just with the new faces ... everything's fresh for the boys that were here. Everyone's really close and we've had a lot of laughter and enjoyment. That's the big thing. Working hard is great, but you've got to have that enjoyment as well."

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur, whose side ground their way past Manly last week, was bracing for the Dragons to bring their power game again after beefing up their forward pack around McInnes.

"They played very tough [last week] and obviously their strength is the size in their forward pack," Arthur said. "They played a pretty simple game, but a very effective game.

"[Early season wins] are good for morale and good for confidence. It's nice to get a win in round one, but it's what you do in the next couple of rounds that is what is probably more important."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...ng-how-mcinnes-is-helping-tight-knit-dragons/

getsmarty

Immortal
FORGET A FINE, LOSE YOUR LOCKS

If you watched the Dragons play over the weekend you would have noticed Euan Aitken rocking the bald look.

It’s not as simple as he was bored and shaved his head, there’s actually a story behind it.

While most teams fine players for arriving late to training, the Dragons decided to mix things up last week.

When the 21-year-old lobbed late for a session in Wollongong the players decided to pull out the clippers and give him a trim.

The Scotland international has since picked up the nickname ‘Campo’ from some of the players in reference to former Canberra playmaker Terry Campese.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...t/news-story/5fa56ca8f89a10730a223f7f85d291d3

getsmarty

Immortal
Packer top of the class as uni session begins

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

16 Mar 2017, 7 p.m.
r0_0_4896_3264_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BACK IN SESSION: Dragons prop Russell Packer has commenced post-graduate studies in business as UOW. Picture: Sylvia Liber

ST GEORGE Illawarra prop Russell Packer was the dux of his high school, but admits he found his first experience of attending university “overwhelming”, particularly while juggling the demands of an NRL career that saw him debut with the Warriors as a teenager.

Like many young footballers, it saw his studies fall by the wayside. With his career going from strength to strength in the ensuing years, including a Test debut in 2011, education became less of a priority.

“I went to uni in New Zealand when I was younger and I just got overwhelmed,” Packer said the launch of the 2017 Graduates of League program on Wednesday.

“When I was young I thought football would last forever, probably like every other 17-year-old trying to play NRL for the first time.

“I was pretty good at school and then I went into [fulltime] rugby league and had those struggles. I pretty much went for a semester and left before I had to do anything hard.”

It was only while on a highly-publicised enforced hiatus from top-flight rugby league that Packer began to appreciate to importance of preparing for life after footy.

“Obviously with everything that’s happened transitioning back into the game [education] was a big focal point,” Packer said.

“You just think that you’re going to play footy forever, that’s who you are, that’s all you are. Through my life experiences I’ve had a bit of time to reflect and to realise this is such a short career

“It’s not until you have a little roadblock you realise that a good career in rugby league is 10 years if you’re lucky and you’ve got a long time work after that.

“I’ve got two young children to look after so it’s good to start transitioning and to think about life after football.”

Packer began a Commerce degree at The University of Wollongong in 2015 and has since applied and been accepted into a post-graduate program in Business Studies where he hasn’t ruled out completing a full Masters degree.

He spoke to the young players entering the 2017 GOL program on Wednesday about the importance of education and having interests and passions outside rugby league.

“I’ve been studying at the University of Wollongong since 2015 and utilising the Graduates of League program, which has been of huge benefit to me and my studies,” Packer said.

“Studying while you’re playing, even though it’s hard to juggle, is good because of programs like Gradutaes of League that are available to you.

“It’s great opportunity for [players] who want to go to university, the resources there are unbelievable and if you don’t utilise them it’s kind of on you.

“Just having help, someone to talk to, it’s a great resource and hopefully all the boys that use the Graduates of League program fully take on board everything available to them. Most of these guys are a lot younger than me but it certainly doesn’t hurt to have some plans in place for after football.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...op-of-the-class-as-uni-session-begins/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop looking to close Dragons revolving halves door

17 Mar 2017, 7 p.m.
r0_0_4063_2709_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

SOLID FOOTING: Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop wants to build a strong combination with Josh McCrone this season. Picture: Adam McLean

ST GEORGE Illawarra skipper Gareth Widdop admits he’s craving stability after seeing a revolving door of halves partners come and go in his three seasons with the club.

The instability goes all the way back to his first appearance for the club in round one 2014 when NRL journeyman Michael Witt left the field with a shoulder injury midway through the Dragons match with the Tigers.

The likes of Sam Williams, Adam Quinlan, Josh McCrone, Drew Hutchison and even Jack de Belin have since partnered him at the scrum-base while his most consistent partner Benji Marshall endured an injury-riddled 2016 campaign that saw him sidelined for 10 games.

Hutchison was set to be his long-term halves partner before suffering a season-ending ACL injury, leaving Josh McCrone to duke it out with young-gun Jai Field for first crack at the No.7 with coach Paul McGregor opting for the veteran for the opening two games of the season.

The lack of continuity prompted the club to lure Brisbane half Ben Hunt south on six-year multi-million deal to provide Widdop – who is off-contract this season – a regular foil.

Hunt won’t arrive until 2018 and Widdop hopes he and McCrone can form a lengthy partnership this season.

‘I’ve played with a few halfbacks since I’ve been here so hopefully we can get a good solid run this year together and become a strong combination,” Widdop said.

“[Constant changes] are never ideal. Where you can keep your spine together as long as possible it certainly helps you get your combinations firing.

“At times it has been difficult, each and every player is different and they play in different ways but hopefully this year we can have a strong combination myself and Josh and have a good year.

“The more we play together the more we train the better we’ll get and I’m sure things will work out.”

Widdop equaled Amos Roberts and Jamie Soward’s joint club record of 22 points in a round one thumping of Penrith but said his side’s attitude was poor against Parramatta last week.

They’ll face a red-hot Sharks outfit, fresh off a 42-16 hammering of Canberra, in Sunday’s local derby but Widdop believes it’s a simple fix.

“Against Penrith we went out there and we wanted to out-enthuse them with our energy and do the hard stuff and on the weekend we probably looked for the easy option,’ Widdop said.

“Right from the kickoff we just made it hard for ourselves and there were chances where we could’ve got back in the game and we didn’t, just simple errors, penalties, poor defence.

“You just can’t do it this competition, it’s too tough and teams are too good.

“It was a disappointing result after round one, we did a lot of good things, and it was going to be the biggest test and show of character to back it up and that’s the disappointing thing.

“It’s still early on and we know what we can do because we proved it round one, we just need to go out there with the right attitude.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4536102/widdop-looking-to-close-revolving-door/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Red V newcomers turning heads

20 Mar 2017, 7 p.m.

THEY made up one of the more unheralded recruitment classes ahead of the 2017 season, but new Dragons additions Cameron McInnes and Paul Vaughan have wasted no time in underlining their value to the club this season.

r0_0_3472_2314_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STRONG START: Cameron McInnes has produced a string of impressive performances since joining the Dragons this season. Picture: Getty Images

Vaughan was deemed surplus to requirements at the Raiders last season while McInnes’ early career came largely as an understudy to former Rabbitohs rake Isaac Luke.

It meant their arrival in Wollongong came with some question marks but the pair impressed with their attitude in preseason and have hit the ground running with standout performances in victories over title-contenders Penrith and Cronulla in the opening three weeks.

With Nene McDonald also finding a home on the right flank, coach Paul McGregor said he’s “excited” by their efforts in their new start at the club.

“We always thought Paul was going to be big value to our side and he hasn’t let anyone down,” McGregor said.

“[With McInnes] it’s pleasing for a coach because if you’ve got a guy who can play 80 minutes in the middle at nine you can use your interchange a little bit more with your bigs and bring that next power bloke on.

“I think the forward pack at the moment, and especially [Sunday] night had to handle a lot of pressure and they did that well against a really dominant side in the Sharks.”

Vaughan was one of five Dragons forwards to run for more than 100 metres against the Sharks on Sunday and McInnes said his side’s big-men are quickly finding their groove in the middle.

“When we were rolling through the ruck there I had all my forwards just pushing up on the advantage line wanting the ball so I was just feeding them the ball and they were doing the work,” McInnes said.

“We felt good doing it, but it was just when we got down their end we probably had a bit of gas taken out of us and we weren’t able to execute but we took the points we had and got away with it.

“In the second half we made 37 tackles on our line and they only made eight so we were under the pump but we held on which is a good sign.

“I definitely feel at home now. As a spine we’re still working on it and we can get a lot better but I’m very comfortable playing with Gaz and Josh McCrone and Josh Dugan.

“The more footy I play with them the better we’re going to get, getting those combinations together and I love playing with them they’re a great group and I’m excited for the rest of the season.”

McInnes has also provided some touches of class from dummy-half, including a deft grubber for Euan Aitken’s first try on Sunday and said he’s continue to inject himself when opportunities present.

“All good hookers can create something down near the line,” he said.

“First and foremost, I just want to do my job for the team, get the forwards over the ad-line and make my tackles but when the defence gives me that, I’ve got to take those little opportunities because in tight games it can be the difference sometimes.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4542108/dragons-recruits-are-showing-their-wares/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Aitken happy with double as Dragons outlast Sharks
21 Mar 2017, 9:49 a.m.
r0_0_3000_2000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Euan Aitken celebrates his first of two tries against Cronulla on Sunday.

ADMITTEDLY not up to scratch against Parramatta last week, Dragons centre Euan Aitken knew he had to bounce back against Cronulla on Sunday.

He did just that to the tune of two crucial four-pointers as the Dragons ground out a tough 16-10 win over their arch-rivals that sees them head into round four in third spot on the ladder.

“I don’t think my game last week was up to standard and I just wanted to make sure I played a good game this week, did everything right for the team and it was good to come away with a couple of tries,” Aitken said.

“It was definitely a grind. Coming up against the premiers from last year it was going be hard. It’s a local derby and everyone always comes up big for this game and I’m glad we came up with the win.

Obviously last week we were very disappointed with our game against the Eels. We just didn’t prepare well enough for that game and it showed. This week there was a big onus on our defence to make sure we held out Cronulla and I think we did that.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4543391/double-the-fun-for-aitken/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons have made a statement with 16-10 win over local rivals Cronulla Sharks: Paul McGregor
Andrew Parkinson
21 Mar 2017, noon
r386_505_3914_2342_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Try time: Dragons centre Euan Aitken celebrates one of his two tries against Cronulla on Sunday night. Picture: John Veage

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor believes his side have made a statement after downing defending premiers Cronulla in a tense local derby on Sunday night.

The Dragons edged their fierce local rivals 16-10 at Southern Cross Group Stadium to retain the Monty Porter Cup and bragging rights north of the Captain Cook Bridge.

St George Illawarra turned away wave after wave of Cronulla attacks in the second half, with their resolute goal line defence a vast improvement from their loss to Parramatta a week earlier.

McGregor labelled it a courageous win.

“They’re a quality side. They’re the premiers and they certainly like playing at home,” he said.

“To come away with a win here is very pleasing and something we can take into next week.

“Certainly [there was] a few lessons learnt today. Again I thought our start was a bit shaky and then we pulled together really well, kicked away with a good, handy lead. We were probably guilty of protecting it a little bit in the second half.

“So a bit of a lesson learnt but the toughness displayed defending our try line there. I think in the second half was 35-plus play the balls inside our 20 [metres]. We only had six. So that’s real tough from last week where our goal line D wasn’t at its best. [It was a] big improvement week to week.”

“Our goal line hadn’t really been challenge up until last week. In the first game [and] in the trial against the Tigers we didn’t really have too much football on our line. Last week was a good lesson. We always pride ourselves on our D, I’m sure every side does, that resilience on your try line.

“Certainly turning teams away can frustrate them. And then it gives you the opportunity to attack at the other end.”

Dragons captain Gareth Widdop was delighted with the grit shown by his side as they matched the quality Cronulla forwards.

“Obviously local derbies are always tough and physical and we knew it was going to be a tough challenge,” he said.

“After last week we wanted to get back into the tough stuff doing the simple things well and I thought our forwards did that early and got us going forward.

“I think just the pleasing thing was the defence on our try line. At times it was great. Our scramble was great. We don’t want to be putting ourselves in those positions but certainly [it was a] step in the right direction.”

McGregor said fullback Josh Dugan had suffered a jaw injury, not a concussion, in the opening 10 minutes after being elbowed by teammate Russell Packer as the pair tackled Paul Gallen.

It has been a rollercoaster start to the season for St George Illawarra, who return to their spiritual home at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah to host the New Zealand Warriors on Sunday night.

Kick-off is at 6.30pm.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4540578/dragons-have-made-a-statement-mcgregor/?cs=1633

getsmarty

Immortal
Golden chance for Dragons to climb ladder

21 Mar 2017, 5 p.m.
r0_0_4129_2753_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BIG WIN: Jack de Belin, Tariq Sims and Jacob Host embrace after the Dragons 16-10 victory over Cronulla on Sunday. Picture: Getty Images

ST GEORGE Illawarra have already claimed two major scalps in their 2-1 start to the season and, with a favourable draw, will have a golden opportunity to solidify their place in the top four over the next six weeks.

Wins over genuine title-contenders Penrith and Cronulla in the opening three rounds see the Dragons sitting in third spot on the ladder at the front of a peloton chasing the two remaining undefeated teams Melbourne and the Roosters.

They’ll host the out of sorts Warriors at Kogarah on Sunday ahead of clashes with a Tigers outfit, still reeling from the Tim Simona scandal and the sacking of coach Jason Taylor, and Manly who’ve been hit and miss so far this season.

Most tellingly, the trip to the Northern Beaches in round six will be the furthest the Dragons will have to travel from their Wollongong training base over the opening 10 rounds. They face the Warriors in Auckland in round 11 with their first bye to follow in round 12.

It’s in stark contrast to a horror draw to start the 2016 season that saw them log more than 12,000 kilometres over the first nine rounds.

They opened their season against Melbourne at AAMI Park in round one and endured a horrendous sunshine swing in Queensland between rounds four and six that saw them take on 2015 grand finalists’ North Queensland and Brisbane away before briefly returning to Wollongong and then traveling to the Gold Coast to play the Titans.

The Dragons haven’t managed consecutive wins since round 15 and 16 last season and haven’t won more than that on the trot since winning six games between rounds three and eight of 2015.

That run had them sitting at the top of the table at the midpoint of the season and they’ll be looking to put themselves in a similar position this year given their run.

It’s easier said than done given the wildly fluctuating fortunes of most teams over the opening three rounds. Having failed to back up their impressive round one win over Penrith seven days later, skipper Gareth Widdop said his side need to start stringing some wins together after outlasting Cronulla in a torrid encounter on Sunday.

“We want to back it up each and every week and getting the two points, especially a local derby, we should take a lot of confidence out of that and we’re at home again this week,” Widdop said.

“It’s vitally important that we do what we did [against Cronulla] really well and fix up a few of the things we need to work on.

“After last week [against Parramatta] we wanted to get back to doing the tough stuff and the simple things well and I thought the forwards did that early on in the game and got us going forward.

“Local derbies are always tough and physical and we knew it was going to be a tough challenge.

“The pleasing thing was the defence on our try-line was great and our scramble was great.

“We don’t want to put yourselves in that position too often but it’s certainly a step in the right direction and we can still improve for next week.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4545165/dragons-look-to-make-most-of-home-stretch/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Vaughan begins to repay Dragons' faith
Wed 22nd March, 01:00PM
A A

Martin Gabor, National Correspondent

The St George Illawarra Dragons' decision to sign Paul Vaughan from the Canberra Raiders appears to be one of the moves of the off-season with the energetic prop establishing himself as one of the buys of the year after the first three rounds.

‌The 25-year-old was the standout player in his side's gritty 16-10 win over the Sharks on Sunday night, with Vaughan running for a team-high 204 metres to go with his 30 tackles, five tackle busts and a line break in 43 minutes of action.

Having spent the first four years of his career in the nation's capital, Vaughan said a change of scenery had worked wonders for his game with the Italian representative thanking Dragons coach Paul McGregor for believing in him.

"The biggest reason for me to come here was the quality of players that they had in the pack," Vaughan told NRL.com after the game.

"I wanted to be a part of that, and 'Mary' (McGregor) has shown a lot of faith and confidence in my game. That's something that I needed and sort of craved so now I want to repay the faith that he's put in me by playing good footy week in week out.

"He just wants me to be defensively sound, bring a good running game and to do the little things right. We've done all the hard work in pre-season and now it's time to deliver it on the footy field."

Each of Vaughan's 14 carries had purpose, but none were better than his scything line break early in the match off a Jack de Belin short ball.

"Credit has to go to Jack de Belin tonight for putting me into that hole," he said.

"He's a great ball player and I've always wanted to play with him because he's a machine in defence and he's got one of the biggest motors I've ever seen. I didn't have to do much with that play except hold the outside and he delivered the perfect pass to put me into the gap."

The only problem for Vaughan was that he ignored his support on the inside.

Tyson Frizell was there waiting for the pass, but according to Vaughan, he never saw or heard him coming.

"Was he there? I threw the dummy, got to the fullback and didn't see anyone because I had the blinkers on," he said.

"It's funny because I'm never in that much space so my first instinct isn't to look for support.

"This time I was looking around but I have to admit I had the blinkers on so I probably didn't see him. Everything was going so fast and you can't hear a thing in those situations.

"I always tell my family this because they're my biggest critics, but when you're in that position, the only thing you hear is yourself breathing. I don't know if it's because I've got cauliflower ears, but you can't hear anything else that's going on.

"I'll have a talk with 'Frizz' and I'm sure he'll tell me if he was open. I might have to buy him a couple of waters."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/03/22/vaughan_begins_to_re.html

Drakon

Juniors
Yeah I like him. Bit confused though as I've seen him say he didn't know Frizz was there but also say he asked Frizz if he was open, saw the fullback drift off and he threw the dummy and went himself. Said he probably should have passed it.

Drakon

Juniors
I like Hind. That interview further shows him to be a good style of guy. And gee, what a try to Jai Field! WOW!
Thanks for posting getsmarty.

Latest posts