What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Field, Garrick the future of NSW, St George Illawarra

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

23 May 2017, 10:40 a.m.
r0_0_3746_2497_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Fullback up plan: Jai Field. Picture: Getty Images

HE’S the heir apparent to departing St George Illawarra fullback Josh Dugan.

But Shellharbour junior Jai Field provides a potential long-term solution to NSW’s halves woes when he lines up in the under 20s State of Origin game next Wednesday.

The game will be a curtain-raiser at Suncorp Stadium, as NSW try to win just their second series in 12 years.

However, the NSW under 20s are aiming for their sixth victory in a row, showing the potential for a dominant Blues era.

It also acts as a stage for Field to show why he can be the future for St George Illawarra, even playing in the No.6 jersey, before Josh Dugan leaves for Cronulla next year. Field has already flagged his belief he can make in the NRL as a fullback, as has Dragons recruitment boss Ian Millward.

The Dragons have signed Broncos playmaker Ben Hunt to partner captain Gareth Widdop next year, but Dugan’s exit has opened the door for Field.

The 19-year-old has played three games this season as a utility bench player.

Gerringong’s Garrick also presents as a potential star of the future for the Dragons, named on the wing, having also played centres and second-row, as well as a goalkicker.

Coached by former Origin great Danny Buderus, young Dragons hooker Reece Robson and prop Blake Lawrie have also been selected as stars of the future to take on Queensland.

r0_250_4896_3014_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Lion roars: NSW and Australian All Schools player Reuben Garrick. Picture: Greg Totman

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...he-future-of-nsw-st-george-illawarra/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons' culture snaps losing streak
Wed 24th May, 03:00PM
A A

1495602236319.jpg;pv0932ba349d79a492

By Corey Rosser - NRL.com New Zealand Correspondent

In the face of adversity following a three-match losing streak, St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor said his side's culture came through in the 30-14 victory over the Warriors in Round 11.

‌After starting the season with six wins from their first seven games, the Dragons headed to FMG Stadium in Hamilton experiencing a mini form slump, but replied in emphatic fashion with a dominant six tries to three win on Friday night.

McGregor said a simple reminder mid-week served as all the motivation his team needed.

"We spoke about our culture, and our culture is about our standards," the fourth-year coach said.

"We have got to protect it and fight for it, we are certainly doing that.

"We have had a couple of tight defeats in the last three games and the boys really deserve what they did tonight.

"I am more than happy, [I'm] very proud of them."

For prop Paul Vaughan, whose 216 metres were more than any other forward on the night, there was a sense of relief after falling to the Cronulla Sharks, Melbourne Storm and Sydney Roosters in the past month.

"It's very pleasing, we really needed that after three losses on the trot," Vaughan told NRL.com.

"It has come at a good time because now the boys can head into the bye and rest the bodies off the back of a win

"We knew the win was coming if we kept turning up and playing like that.

"We really set ourselves a challenge because we really needed those two points tonight.

"The culture is really good at the moment and we are building towards a really strong season.

"The boys here love playing with each other and you can really see that out on the field."

Meanwhile McGregor singled out his forward pack for special praise following the match, after they helped the 'Red V' to almost 2000 running metres.

Not only damaging in their carries, the St George Illawarra big men got away 20 offloads, several of which contributed to points-scoring plays, while both back-rower Joel Thompson and interchange forward Hame Sele made line breaks.

"They made the opposition miss 57 tackles, which doesn't happen very often in NRL football," McGregor said of his pack.

"We had a lot of support around the footy and were able to create a lot of opportunities for each other and come away with some good points."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/05/24/dragons_culture_snap.html

getsmarty

Immortal
DRAGON LAFAI IN DEMAND

After losing Josh Dugan to Cronulla, St George Illawarra have move swiftly in their bid to re-sign in-form centre Tim Lafai.

In talks to extend Lafai a further three seasons, Market Watch understands the Red V are close to securing the former Bulldog’s signature.

But it’s not a fait accompli, with as many as three rival clubs circling. With a shortage of left centres off-contract this season, a player of Lafai’s experience is a great asset.

Just last week, Lafai tore the Warriors’ right edge to pieces with a commanding performance.

According to the Fox Sports Lab, Lafai ran for a whopping 215 metres and sits at the point end for offloads (31) and line breaks (8) this season.

It’s understood talks between Lafai and the Dragons are continuing this week, with a deal hopefully to be finalised in the coming weeks.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...t/news-story/fcef8f5addd1ba4f4ca774617369c913

getsmarty

Immortal
NYC Mid-Season Review
Thu 25th May, 01:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra NYC coach Wayne Collins has offered his thoughts on the season that's been for the young Dragons so far in 2017.

The Dragons sit at third on the NYC competition ladder, having lost only three times so far this year.

Collins spoke immediately after the Dragons' dramatic late win over the Warriors at FMG Stadium, Waikato last Friday night.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/05/25/nyc_mid_season_revie.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Dugan declares him self fit for State of Origin I

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

25 May 2017, 2:30 p.m.
r0_0_3000_2000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

CERTAIN STARTER: Josh Dugan. Picture: Getty Images

NSW centre star Josh Dugan has declared he’ll be 100 per cent fit when he runs onto Suncorp Stadium for Origin I on Wednesday night, though he’s expecting Queensland to test that theory.

The Dragons star hasn’t played a game since leaving the field with a fractured cheekbone in Australia’s 30-12 Test victory over New Zealand.

He will take the field less than a month after undergoing surgery to insert a plate in his cheekbone that was fractured in a head clash with club teammate Russell Packer.

He was expected to miss four to six weeks but Blues coach Laurie Daley’s reluctance to carry players under an injury cloud deep into camp saw Dugan declare himself fit on Thursday.

“Yeah, 100 per cent [I’ll play],” Dugan, who took part in his first contact session on Wednesday, said.

''I'm confident in it. I spoke to the staff before I came in here and to the surgeon as well and he was fully confident too so that puts my mind at ease. There was a plate put in so that makes it a bit stronger as well.”

Dugan has played seven of 11 games for the Dragons this season having also suffered a hamstring injury in his side’s round five victory over Wests Tigers, forcing him to sit out two club matches.

He conceded it will make him a target for Maroons in game one but allayed fears concerning his overall match fitness.

“Everyon’s fair game so I'm sure I'll be fair game. That's Origin,” Dugan said.

'”For me, I'm not too worried about my fitness.

“Because it was my face I could run every day, I was still doing fitness, I was still up and down off the deck.

“The only thing I didn't do was have a ball in my hand. I did a little bit on lefts and rights and built up on that today, just keep building it over the week.”

Berkeley product Jack Bird had been preparing to replace Dugan at right centre should injury have forced his withdrawal, but will now play a utility role from the bench.

Confirmation that Dugan will play came on the same day that Queensland five-eighth Jonathan Thurston ruled himself out with a shoulder injury, meaning Anthony Milford will make his Origin debut.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4686846/dugan-fully-fit-for-origin-i/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Red V Member Benefit Survey Results
Fri 26th May, 09:00AM
A A

1495760477151.jpg

The St George Illawarra Dragons Membership Team recently distributed a survey to 2017 Red V Members to seek feedback and understand their opinions and perspectives.

We also sent a similar survey to our prospects and lapsed members to gather some feedback from their perspective.

We would like to thank everyone who took the time to complete the survey and share their views.

Feedback from our members and fans is vital so we can continue to build, grow and shape our packages and benefits to suit Red V Members.

The demographic break-up of our respondents was an accurate representation of our active member demographics.

Below are some of the key and common insights from the survey responses:

Benefits That Are Most Important

We received some great feedback about what benefits are most important to Red V Members and it was noted that the most highly valued benefit is "being able to support the Dragons".

Other comments in order were as follows:

· Tickets to home games

· Loyalty program, and;

· Ability to choose your member benefit item

We will focus on communicating these benefits as we move into renewals and promote memberships to new Red V Members.

Loyalty Program

Results regarding our loyalty program indicate that some members are unaware of our loyalty program and this is something we will continue to work on.

Our loyalty program currently includes:

· Loyalty pins to mark consecutive years of membership (2, 5, 10, 15, 20 and so on)

· An invitation to a special event for members with 10 or more years consecutive membership

· Tiered discounts to the Dragons Team Store, based on your tenure, and;

· Red V Rewards Program

Food and Beverage

A common request was for food and beverage discounts and offers at Dragons matches.

This is something that we have been and are continuing to actively work on with caterers at each of our home venues.

With different catering companies the process can be challenging but we have secured a five per cent discount on food and beverage for the 2017 season for Red V Members at UOW Jubilee Oval, WIN Stadium and ANZ Stadium.

We will continue to work with all of the venues caterers to provide such benefits.

Benefit Pack

The results for what Red V Members want in their benefit pack varies greatly, proving it is increasingly difficult to please everyone with all decisions.

Common suggestions ranged from caps, beanies, scarves, backpacks, stubby holders, team posters, towel, ponchos and vouchers to some less practical requests such as signed merchandise, items that cannot be mailed and items that require a specific size such as polos, training gear, phone cover and jerseys.

Did you know? Members can collect a team poster from the membership tent at our home games.

We hope to continue members choice in 2018 (an initiative introduced in 2016) where members select the main benefit item in the pack.

For example, if you like the cap, you can choose the cap and if you don’t like the cap, you can choose something else.

We also plan to let Red V Members vote on the 2018 member cap design. Members should keep an eye out on member emails for the opportunity to vote!

Kids Pack

The most popular requests for kids pack inclusions were footballs, bags, caps, autograph book and stationary.

Non-Ticketed

Some non-ticketed members feel they are missing out, but were not aware in 2017 we introduced an additional item for non-ticketed members, that ticketed members do not receive (lunch cooler bag).

Whilst we have only covered the most notable findings within this summary, the complete survey results have been circulated to the relevant staff for feedback and consideration for 2018 planning.

Once again, our sincere thanks to everyone who took the time to complete the survey.

As always, please don’t hesitate to contact us with any further suggestions at redv@dragons.com.au or via live chat on www.marchwithus.com.au

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/05/26/red_v_member_benefit.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Illawarra mid-season review
Blake Edwards

Fri 26th May, 02:00PM
A A

1495773819308.jpg

It’s been a see-sawing first half of the Intrust Super Premiership season for reigning premiers Illawarra who currently sit at fifth on the competition ladder.

The defending premiers knew they had their work cut out for them before a ball was kicked following the departures of a host of key players to various clubs as well as those who were promoted to the Dragons' NRL squad.

Coach Mat Head's men have won six of their eleven matches this season having defeated the Wentworthville Magpies and Newtown Jets twice each, while also earning victories over the Wests Tigers and last year's grand final opponents, Mounties.

Best game –

Illawarra’s best match to date was their thrilling 38-34 comeback victory over the Newtown Jets in Round 11 at the historic Henson Park.

It would have been easy for Illawarra to throw in the towel after the Jets gained a 16-0 lead within the first fifteen minutes of the contest.

But in true Illawarra style the team dug deep and clawed their way back into the contest, by running in seven tries to retain the Tom Kirk Cup for the sixth-consecutive time.

Worst game –

The Round 4 clash against the New Zealand Warriors was certainly one that got away from Illawarra. The side raced to an early 12-0 lead with rake Siliva Havili and centre Patrick Herbert crossing the stripe early.

Illawarra would only go on to score two more points in the contest courtesy of a Shaun Nona penalty goal.

Illawarra threw the game away as a result of ill-discipline, granting the Warriors a 21-14 victory.

Star of the Show –

Continuing his strong form in 2016, having led the side to its maiden Premiership and State Championship, skipper Tyrone McCarthy (pictured) has again stepped it up another level.

The Irish international has averaged over 100 running meters and 35 tackles per game this season.

McCarthy’s leadership has again been first class. The inspirational leader has been boosted by his fellow forwards Blake Lawrie, Jacob Hind and Jacob Host – who are forging a strong leadership group.

Casualty Ward –

Illawarra have had a handful of injuries this season, with most of them coming before a game had even been played.

The majority of the squad were nursing injuries ahead of the season and are slowly making their way back into the side or are competing for a spot from the local Illawarra competition.

The most notable injuries of the season are Eric Newbigging (pectoral) and Kal Collins (fractured leg) who will not play any part this season.

Coach's Corner –

The players remain positive ahead of the second half of the season.

Coach Mat Head said he's confident his side can continue to make inroads and eventually win consecutive premierships.

"I believe we are coming together as a group really well now," Head said.

"It was a rocky start to the season, but we are cementing some combinations now and are getting a core group of players playing with each other every week.

"I’ve been telling the boys that it’s not going to be easy, but I’m really excited to see what we can do in the second phase of the season."

Crystal Ball –

Illawarra will have their work cut out for them in the second half of the season as they come against some of the competition's toughest opponents, including road trips to Canberra, Newcastle and New Zealand.

The side will have at least two more games broadcast on Fox Sports throughout the season (Round 16 and Round 20), with both fixtures aligning with the Dragons’ clashes against the Knights and Panthers at UOW Jubilee Oval and Pepper Stadium respectively.

Illawarra will finish the regular season with back-to-back home fixtures against the Sea Eagles and Bulldogs.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/05/26/illawarra_mid_season.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Daley explains Vaughan's NSW non-selection
Chris Kennedy - NRL.com National Correspondent

Sat 27th May, 12:00PM
A A

1495861620168.jpg;pv7683db5b8d5d54e5

New South Wales Origin coach Laurie Daley says he has been impressed by the recent form of fringe Blues like Paul Vaughan, Jack de Belin and Jordan McLean.

But the reason the latter two are in the extended squad rather than Vaughan comes down purely to showing good form over a longer period.

Dragons sensation Vaughan is arguably the form prop in the NRL; the impact he has had on an already-strong Dragons pack in a short period has been nothing short of phenomenal.

His complete transformation from reserve-grader under Ricky-Stuart at the Raiders last year to game-breaker at the Dragons under Paul McGregor in 2017 had plenty of Blues fans demanding his inclusion.

Speaking at the launch of the 2017 Game One team at The Star on Monday night Daley said Vaughan's recent efforts had been noticed but the Italian international needed more than 11 weeks of hot form to break into the Origin arena.

"All those guys have played really well for their clubs and that's what we want to see," Daley said.

"A couple of those guys (McLean and de Belin) that have been rewarded in this extended squad have played well now for 18 months and that's what you want to see.

"Guys that don't just play well for a period of time, you want to see them play well for a year, 18 months.

"Once you know they're consistent at clubland by doing that then you know they're ready for the next level and that's why those guys have been included [ahead of Vaughan]."

In defence of Daley's decisions, two of his three props in Klemmer and Fifita starred for Australia in the recent Anzac Test while the other – Woods – would have played for the Kangaroos in that game had he not been ruled out with injury.

Of the only other two men who could theoretically have been ousted for Vaughan, Frizell demanded inclusion after starring for the Blues last year while Trbojevic has also been in irresistible form.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/05/27/daley_explains_vaugh.af_news.html

ALSGI

Bench
Chris Kennedy - NRL.com National Correspondent

Sat 27th May, 12:00PM
A A

1495861620168.jpg;pv7683db5b8d5d54e5

New South Wales Origin coach Laurie Daley says he has been impressed by the recent form of fringe Blues like Paul Vaughan, Jack de Belin and Jordan McLean.

But the reason the latter two are in the extended squad rather than Vaughan comes down purely to showing good form over a longer period.

Dragons sensation Vaughan is arguably the form prop in the NRL; the impact he has had on an already-strong Dragons pack in a short period has been nothing short of phenomenal.

His complete transformation from reserve-grader under Ricky-Stuart at the Raiders last year to game-breaker at the Dragons under Paul McGregor in 2017 had plenty of Blues fans demanding his inclusion.

Speaking at the launch of the 2017 Game One team at The Star on Monday night Daley said Vaughan's recent efforts had been noticed but the Italian international needed more than 11 weeks of hot form to break into the Origin arena.

"All those guys have played really well for their clubs and that's what we want to see," Daley said.

"A couple of those guys (McLean and de Belin) that have been rewarded in this extended squad have played well now for 18 months and that's what you want to see.

"Guys that don't just play well for a period of time, you want to see them play well for a year, 18 months.

"Once you know they're consistent at clubland by doing that then you know they're ready for the next level and that's why those guys have been included [ahead of Vaughan]."

In defence of Daley's decisions, two of his three props in Klemmer and Fifita starred for Australia in the recent Anzac Test while the other – Woods – would have played for the Kangaroos in that game had he not been ruled out with injury.

Of the only other two men who could theoretically have been ousted for Vaughan, Frizell demanded inclusion after starring for the Blues last year while Trbojevic has also been in irresistible form.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/05/27/daley_explains_vaugh.af_news.html
Have a decision.....going to the board....Daley's a f**kwit.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL says players' $1 billion-plus pay demands will destroy the game

Player payments would break through the $1 billion mark in the next collective bargaining agreement and will "ultimately destroy the financial viability and structure of the game and its clubs" if a proposal from the players' union is accepted, a leaked NRL document claims.

In an explosive email distributed to clubs obtained by Fairfax Media, the NRL claims the Rugby League Players' Association demands – totalling $1.06 billion over five years – would cost it and the clubs more than $200 million more than what the governing body tabled in their initial offer in March.

1495863850360.jpg

Angry: James Maloney took objection to the NRL's negotiating tact from Origin camp during the week. Photo: Grant Trouville/NRL Imagery
"The RLPA/player proposal is unaffordable and shows an apparent disregard for the game," the NRL stated in its email.

In a series of inflammatory remarks, the NRL claims the deal "if accepted in any form will result in the NRL and clubs ceding control over the game and … would also consume club margins that were secured as part of the Club Funding Agreement in December last year to sustain the game's viability and make NRL funding arrangements and the survival of the game impossible to sustain".

The NRL also took a shot at the $5 million the union will require to run its operations, which will expand to include the costs of being involved with integrity and agent accreditation matters. Rugby League Central claims the figure is a 537 per cent increase, three times that secured by the Australian Cricketers' Association and twice that of the AFLPA.

The RLPA strongly refutes it is holding the game to ransom and believes the NRL is misrepresenting its position in an attempt to drive a wedge between the union and the clubs. The association feels they should have been consulted directly for clarification of contentious matters rather than having a head office spin put on its first proposal.

The union believes not all revenue streams have been included in the NRL's calculations and that, contrary to the governing body's opinion, the players are prepared to share in the upside and downside of the game's financial performance over the term.

The document highlights how far the parties are apart and raises the prospect of a fiery meeting when the parties return to the negotiating table on June 5. Several of the game's biggest stars will be in attendance to represent a playing group that believes the NRL is doing a poor job of managing the game. Unless concessions are made on both sides, the prospect of industrial action will loom large ahead of the 2018 season.

The RLPA is seeking a base salary cap of $9.1 million for next season, which would increase by $200,000 a year to $9.9 million by 2022. The NRL claims clubs will be slugged at least a further $450,000 a year under such a scenario. The union claims the NRL's figure doesn't reflect the sharing of welfare and educations costs and still includes club funding of the RLPA, which will no longer be a requirement.

Under the RLPA proposal, the traditional top-30 player list for clubs will be replaced by a top 26, who are entitled to a minimum salary of $120,000 (up from $85,000). There will also be 14 additional "supplementary" players who can be called upon throughout the course of the season. There would be no restrictions on how much players under the age of 20 are paid.

The biggest sticking point between the parties relates to revenue sharing. The union wants players to get a guaranteed 29 per cent share of total revenue during the next five years. The NRL claims its offer is equivalent to 26 per cent – or nearly $900 million – with the parties arguing which revenue streams are included and how many players it will cover.

The RLPA is also pushing for more time off, during and after the season. The players are seeking eight weeks off a year, in line with their AFL counterparts. They also want two mandatory days off each week, compared to the one day they are currently allowed, plus an extra half-day off in season for personal development. The NRL argues the players will be getting more for doing less.

Another point of contention is the proposed introduction of a "Player Marketing Contract" spend, to the tune of $1 million. The NRL claims the clubs will be out of pocket as the players get paid for performing club and sponsorship appearances. The union refutes this, stating the money will come out of the players' share of revenue and that the initiative will provide a stricter framework for services than the controversial third-party agreement system.

Some clubs, particularly those struggling financially, haven't spent up to the salary cap limit. However, the RLPA wants every dollar to reach the intended recipients during the course of the agreement.

The players are also seeking a 64 per cent increase in representative payments, an increase to $34 million. The NRL only wants this to go up to $26.5 million.

One big boost for the players could be the ownership of their intellectual property. The RLPA wants its members to control their images, signatures and performance data, as is the case with many Australian and overseas sports. The clubs and the NRL will still be able to use their IP, although the stars of the game will have a new, lucrative revenue stream. It remains to be seen whether the NRL will budge on the issue.

Even if a CBA is signed off, there is conflict over the mechanisms to review it mid stream. The players' union wants to be able to request a variation should forecasts change or unforeseen consequences arise. The NRL argues this will leave it "in a perpetual state of negotiation and renegotiation with … no certainty that what is agreed to would persist for any part of the five-year CBA".

Cronulla and NSW playmaker James Maloney, an RLPA board member, reacted angrily to the NRL's negotiating tact from Origin camp during the week. It is expected other stars will voice their displeasure after they learn how the NRL has portrayed their demands.

KEY POINTS

• The RLPA wants a 29 per cent guaranteed share of revenue – the NRL's almost $900 million offer is equivalent to about 26 per cent;
  • The initial NRL and RLPA offers are estimated at least $200 million apart;
  • The RLPA is seeking a 10 per cent salary cap discount for developing players, as well as a 10 per cent discount for those who have been at one club for eight years or more. Clubs to bear the cost;
  • The NRL wants a salary cap of $8.84 million for 2018. The RLPA is pushing for it to be $9.1 million, rising to $9.9 million by the end of the five-year CBA;
  • The RLPA wants players to own their intellectual property, including image rights. Also wants a reduction in protected sponsorships;
  • RLPA pushing for the traditional top-30 list to be replaced by a top 26, plus 14 "supplementary" players that can be called upon;
  • NRL wants rep payments to go up to $26.5 million. The RLPA wants the figure to be $34 million.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ds-will-destroy-the-game-20170527-gwehb0.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Creagh's crucial cog in Dragons' machine
Sun 28th May, 09:00AM
A A

Since retiring at the end of the 2016 NRL Telstra Premiership season, St George Illawarra legend Ben Creagh has taken on a new role at the Dragons as a wellbeing officer.

With help from renowned wellbeing consultant and sports psychologist, Matti Clements, Creagh explains in the above video how he has transitioned from playing to the workforce, how he's been helped along the way and how he is influencing the current crop of Dragons.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/05/28/creagh_s_crucial_cog.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop back, NRL future is uncertain for McCrone at Dragons

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

29 May 2017, 1:38 p.m.

HALFBACK Josh McCrone has shut out any thoughts about becoming St George Illawarra’s forgotten man.

r0_0_5368_3578_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Captain's call: Gareth Widdop trained in Wollongong on Monday and could play against the Tigers on Saturday. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

The 30-year-old has been the steady hand in lifting the Dragons to third on the NRL ladder, even while captain Gareth Widdop and fullback Josh Dugan have been injured.

But with Ben Hunt destined for Wollongong at the end of the season – and Widdop on a new long-term deal, McCrone’s future is anything but certain.

McCrone admits he has learned from experience about how his contract situation can have an adverse reaction on the field.

“To be honest, I don’t read too much into that sort of stuff, you play good footy and life looks after itself,” McCrone said.

“I’ve been pulled up earlier in my career thinking too much about that and you get caught up in it.

“It’s not a good way to be, it starts eating away at you.

“At the minute, I’m happy enough to be playing good footy and keep winning for the red V.”

Widdop and McCrone have combined for six wins from eight games this year, but the Dragons have won just one in the past month since the captain was injured in the Anzac Day defeat.

The English international completed training duties at WIN Stadium on Monday, in a bid to be proven fit for Saturday afternoon’s showdown with Wests Tigers.

“He was looking crisp and silky, just a reminder of what he can do,” veteran winger Jason Nightingale, who has taken over the fullback role while Dugan has been out, said after training.

“He got a lot of confidence out of being out there because he'd been doing a lot of straight line running and boring monotonous stuff that you have to do when you come back from injury.

"I think for him, he was just excited to be there and it showed in some of his ball playing.”

Dugan’s return would mean Nightingale will return to the wing, with Kurt Mann and Jai Field battling it out for the interchange utility role.

The Dragons overpowered the Warriors 30-14 before last weekend’s bye, ending a run including narrow losses to the Sharks and Roosters and being blown away early by Melbourne.

With finals action beckoning this year, McCrone declared his priority to was to stay at the Dragons, even after Hunt arrives from Brisbane.

“I love the Dragons, I love living down the coast,” McCrone, who grew up in the rugby league breeding ground of Temora before joining the Raiders, said.

r0_0_3634_5178_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Josh McCrone

“It’s a beatutiful place, my family love it here and while you’re winning, you don’t want to leave.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...back-future-is-uncertain-for-mccrone/?cs=3713

possm

Coach
Widdop back, NRL future is uncertain for McCrone at Dragons

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

29 May 2017, 1:38 p.m.

HALFBACK Josh McCrone has shut out any thoughts about becoming St George Illawarra’s forgotten man.

r0_0_5368_3578_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Captain's call: Gareth Widdop trained in Wollongong on Monday and could play against the Tigers on Saturday. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

The 30-year-old has been the steady hand in lifting the Dragons to third on the NRL ladder, even while captain Gareth Widdop and fullback Josh Dugan have been injured.

But with Ben Hunt destined for Wollongong at the end of the season – and Widdop on a new long-term deal, McCrone’s future is anything but certain.

McCrone admits he has learned from experience about how his contract situation can have an adverse reaction on the field.

“To be honest, I don’t read too much into that sort of stuff, you play good footy and life looks after itself,” McCrone said.

“I’ve been pulled up earlier in my career thinking too much about that and you get caught up in it.

“It’s not a good way to be, it starts eating away at you.

“At the minute, I’m happy enough to be playing good footy and keep winning for the red V.”

Widdop and McCrone have combined for six wins from eight games this year, but the Dragons have won just one in the past month since the captain was injured in the Anzac Day defeat.

The English international completed training duties at WIN Stadium on Monday, in a bid to be proven fit for Saturday afternoon’s showdown with Wests Tigers.

“He was looking crisp and silky, just a reminder of what he can do,” veteran winger Jason Nightingale, who has taken over the fullback role while Dugan has been out, said after training.

“He got a lot of confidence out of being out there because he'd been doing a lot of straight line running and boring monotonous stuff that you have to do when you come back from injury.

"I think for him, he was just excited to be there and it showed in some of his ball playing.”

Dugan’s return would mean Nightingale will return to the wing, with Kurt Mann and Jai Field battling it out for the interchange utility role.

The Dragons overpowered the Warriors 30-14 before last weekend’s bye, ending a run including narrow losses to the Sharks and Roosters and being blown away early by Melbourne.

With finals action beckoning this year, McCrone declared his priority to was to stay at the Dragons, even after Hunt arrives from Brisbane.

“I love the Dragons, I love living down the coast,” McCrone, who grew up in the rugby league breeding ground of Temora before joining the Raiders, said.

r0_0_3634_5178_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Josh McCrone

“It’s a beatutiful place, my family love it here and while you’re winning, you don’t want to leave.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...back-future-is-uncertain-for-mccrone/?cs=3713
In 2018, McCrone could be slotted in reserve grade in the hooker rotation with Robson. Also being backup option for first grade hooker or halfback.

With Hunt coming and Hutch available, there will not only be McCrone who's job is in jeopardy.

getsmarty

Immortal
Robson has been earmarked to start in 2018 with McInnes. I would rather we keep Mann..Hutch and McCrone will probably be moved on unless they are on small contracts .

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Laurie Daley has admitted he's a wanker for not selecting Vaughan in SoO but is prepared to accept calls for his sacking.
"Yes, I know l'm a fully blown wanker but hey, I can't stop it overnight so l must continue to act as such.
If we lose the first game as expected, I'll pick Vaughan to pull us out of the sh!t for game two, simples."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I agree.

possm

Coach

Laurie Daley has admitted he's a wanker for not selecting Vaughan in SoO but is prepared to accept calls for his sacking.
"Yes, I know l'm a fully blown wanker but hey, I can't stop it overnight so l must continue to act as such.
If we lose the first game as expected, I'll pick Vaughan to pull us out of the sh!t for game two, simples."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I agree.
Wanker Daley might be our new coach for 2018. Word is that there is a replacement coach lined up for the NSW job. Guess who? .... Fitler!!!!!!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Wanker Daley might be our new coach for 2018. Word is that there is a replacement coach lined up for the NSW job. Guess who? .... Fitler!!!!!!

As l've mentioned on another thread.
I'll go for Mary any day over Daley.
Mary is a Dragon and knows the place, hands down.
Mary apparently has good support from the current players ....... which is paramount.
Mary is currently doing a respectable job .............. are we finals bound?
Daley has no first grade experience and would be seen to be a puppet for both Doust & Millward.

Last edited:

hewi

Bench
Proof is in the pudding. As long as we end up in the eight I think he should get an extension. I think you have to give him huge credit for the change in pre season training with AFL fitness which with the reduced interchange has had the team on the front foot. Also after last years disasterous attack that has also been overhauled and is working. He has showed an ability to adapt and credit where credit is due.