What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Packer and Dugan to leave lasting legacy: McGregor

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

9 Jun 2017, 9 p.m.
r0_0_3152_2101_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FROM THE FRONT: Russell Packer. Picture: Getty Images

THEY’RE both headed for the exit gate at season’s end, but St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor says departing stars Josh Dugan and Russell Packer will leave lasting legacies at the club beyond 2017.

Dugan ended a drawn-out saga surrounding his future prior to State of Origin I, committing to Cronulla on a four-year deal, while Packer is headed to the Wests Tigers for the next four seasons from 2018.

They are career-defining contracts for both men, who have rebuilt their NRL stocks at the club after coming off the rails off the field earlier in their careers.

McGregor will be at the Dragons helm until the end of 2019 after signing a two-year contract extension this week and said both players still have a role to play in shaping the club’s future this season.

“They’re both players that are really important to 2017 and will continue to be,” McGregor said.

“They’re in our leadership group, they’re international players. I’d love to keep every player but the salary cap is a complex process. I’m just happy that those guys have got secure futures.

“It’s great to see Russell’s financial security over the next four years. Although I’m disappointed it’s not with our club, it’s great for him to have that security for his family after what his journey’s been.”

McGregor said Packer, in particular, provided valuable insights when the club conducted a review of a dismal 2016 campaign and has been instrumental in driving a cultural change through the Dragons squad.

“Russell is a very strong, honest, opinionated person who’s really developing our squad this year through his leadership,” McGregor said.

“He’s a leader, he’s very intelligent, he’s been through some tough times in his life and sometimes he’s the one who brings things up that everyone else would keep secret.

“He learned a lot from the difficulties he went through. He spent 12 months away from his family in jail, his security around rugby league got taken away from him for two years. That’s why I think he’s been such an important role model for others.

“When you explain that journey to other players and people in the organisation, it reminds them just how important living in the now is.

“For a person that had been away from the game for so long to change the way he was, to into the man he is now… that’s inspiring for other young men in our organisation to see.”

Packer was modest about his individual contribution to the club’s turnaround, but said he’s determined to leave the club that gave him his rugby league lifeline on a good note.

“Obviously everything I’ve been through gives you a different perspective and I approach the game a little bit differently through preparation and stuff outside of football,” Packer said.

“Just the environment here has allowed me to be consistent on and off the field and when your life’s like that it’s easier to perform when you play.

“We all learned a lot out of that review. I’m sure Mary did, and as players, we learned a lot sitting down and going over the areas where we went wrong and looking for ways to improve it.

“To see people change things and turn it around, I’m just happy to be a part of it. If we keep playing well, you never know what’s around the corner so I’m really excited for the rest of this year.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-speaks-volumes-in-dragons-turnaround/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra to play more games at WIN Stadium next year
ADAM PENGILLY
10 Jun 2017, 10 p.m.
r0_0_4753_3158_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Home: Dragons captain Gareth Widdop at WIN Stadium. Picture: Georgia Matts

Uncertainty around timeframes for the NSW government's $1.6 billion overhaul of Sydney's stadiums is likely to persuade St George Illawarra to return more games to their suburban bases at Kogarah and Wollongong from next season.

The Dragons are in the midst of finalising their home ground strategy from next season with their four-year commitment due to expire this year and they are giving strong consideration to temporarily abandoning a push to play more games at Sydney's bigger stadiums, given the imminent refurbishments.

A new western Sydney stadium at Parramatta is under construction and not due to be opened until 2019, while plans for the renovation of ANZ Stadium, which hosts two Dragons home games each season, are yet to be revealed.

It is unclear whether Venues NSW will undertake the ANZ Stadium makeover in stages over a number of years – possibly from the end of next year – or close the venue completely for a season to expedite the changes.

The Dragons – who count five grounds, including ANZ Stadium, Allianz Stadium and the Sydney Cricket Ground as home venues in any one year – could be the first NRL club to bite the bullet and shift more fixtures back to their suburban strongholds from 2018.

It's understood such a measure would only be temporary until the Sydney stadia rebuild was complete, but at least appease their passionate supporter base which has lobbied for more matches at UOW Jubilee Oval and WIN Stadium.

St George Illawarra usually play four games at each venue in a season, but allocated an extra one to Kogarah in 2017 due to a quirk in the NRL draw.

New Dragons chairman Brian Johnston conceded the club's venue plan may have had "limited success" despite crowds at ANZ Stadium for home matches against the Bulldogs and Tigers in the past four years outstripping average attendances at Kogarah and Wollongong.

It costs the joint venture $100,000 just to throw open the gates at their traditional homes as opposed to being subsidised to play games at Sydney's major venues.

Asked would the Dragons persist with their existing venue allocation from next year, Johnston said: "With all the developments that are going to happen with the venues they might not be able to cater for us anyway. The decision might be made for us.

"[But] we need to keep all our options open for us. What has worked are those marquee games like Anzac Day against the Roosters, but we need to work on how we market and promote the event.

"Yes, we want to get games in our local district because that resonates with a lot of fans however it doesn't pay the bills. We haven't had any clear decision yet.

"Is it going to be a good fan experience [at ANZ Stadium under a rebuild]? What's going to be capacity? Are they in a position during a development phase to guarantee a gate?"

The Tigers are another club which juggles its scheduling around ANZ Stadium as well as Leichhardt and Campbelltown while the Olympic venue's major NRL tenants, the Bulldogs and Rabbitohs, will be sweating on a finalised business plan for the ground's revamp.

The home ground debate will be one of the first major points of business for Johnston – and the Dragons executive – after he replaced Warren Lockwood as chairman in recent months.

Having signed off on coach Paul McGregor's two-year extension after a flying start to the year, the long-serving Dragons player and administrator won't be rushed into finalising a deal to sell a 50 per cent stake in the club to WIN.

Billionaire Bruce Gordon's empire has been bogged down in proposed changes to media ownership laws and platform shifts forcing talks to slow with the Dragons, who have fielded other expressions of interest.

"I would be very confident we can get something done with WIN, but we don't want to disregard other potential suitors out there," Johnston said.

"[WIN] are probably the right fit because they have an emotional attachment to the club and that is just as important as the bucks to the longevity of the business model.

"If we look at world sport most of the successful teams are privately owned or have part private ownership. There are some public consortiums, but not many. Most of them are owned by wealthy people who have an emotional attachment to an organisation. We are probably no different."

Johnston said he wanted his chairmanship to be defined by a "high performing team and sustainable business model" and even expressed surprise at the Dragons' rapid improvement on the park this season.

"I think we anticipated improvement, I don't think anyone would have anticipated this degree of improvement to be honest," he said. "Some may say we're overperforming at the moment, but we're not happy with just competing – we want to excel."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-more-games-at-win-stadium-next-year/?cs=3713

Drag Queen

Bench
Drew Hutchison may be out for season but St George certainly not giving up on promising half
Matt Logue, The Daily Telegraph
June 11, 2017 11:45am
Subscriber only
DREW Hutchison has suffered a season-ending ACL injury and St George Illawarra have signed Ben Hunt for next season, but the young halfback hasn’t given up hope of reviving his promising career.

That’s the message from Hutchison’s manager David Riolo amid speculation the Dragons have told the former Junior Kangaroo he is free to look elsewhere.

To the contrary, Riolo said Hutchison still has an offer from the Dragons for next season.

Drew Hutchison may be out for season but St George certainly not giving up on promising half
Matt Logue, The Daily Telegraph
June 11, 2017 11:45am
Subscriber only
DREW Hutchison has suffered a season-ending ACL injury and St George Illawarra have signed Ben Hunt for next season, but the young halfback hasn’t given up hope of reviving his promising career.

That’s the message from Hutchison’s manager David Riolo amid speculation the Dragons have told the former Junior Kangaroo he is free to look elsewhere.

To the contrary, Riolo said Hutchison still has an offer from the Dragons for next season.

Good news if true, the kid could prove to be an excellent backup for Hunt

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons and Bulldogs turn NRL on it's head

11 Jun 2017, 4 p.m.
HE may have just signed a two-year contract extension but St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor isn’t about to start handing out coaching advice – and certainly not to someone as experienced as Canterbury counterpart Des Hasler.

r0_0_3880_2552_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FOCUSED: Paul McGregor

Rugby league has a habit of tossing up great ironies, none more interesting than Monday’s clash between the Dragons and Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium.

Hasler recently signed a two-year extension of his own but will head into the clash under a mountain of pressure following his side’s abysmal showing in their last-start 38-0 thrashing at the hands of Penrith.

It was the Dogs fifth loss in their last six games, putting them at risk of missing the finals for the first time during Hasler’s six-year reign.

Last season it was McGregor under the pump, while the Dogs’ disruptive player contract issues and an impotent attack also mirror the Dragons 2016 plight.

McGregor has orchestrated a dramatic turnaround in 2017 but he hasn’t wasted any energy this week pondering the similarities between Hasler’s situation and his own last year.

“I haven’t thought about it, no,” McGregor said.

”Professional sport and rugby league is like that. It’s a relentless and challenging job. If it wasn’t the Bulldogs, it’d be someone else.

“For me I always just concentrate on us and that’s the most important thing. That’s a lesson I’ve learned.

“[Last year] I was worrying about too many things and not concentrating on what I need to do and that’s connecting with the locker room, connecting to the coaching and the style of footy that best suits who we are.

“I’m aware of all the noise around the Dogs at the moment, I’m not living under a house, but for me it’s all about what we need to do and the standards we need to maintain for us to go out and play our style of footy.

“Whatever the Bulldogs bring on Monday, we’re just going to bring what we need to bring.”

Any potential backlash could well be felt by the Dragons big men with the Dogs traditionally relying on grunt up front to pull them out of slumps.

It’s also a chance for the likes of Jack de Belin and Paul Vaughan to press their future Origin claims against Blues incumbents David Klemmer and Josh Jackson.

Blues coach Laurie Daley has stated a policy of rewarding consistent form and McGregor said the pair only need to continue what they’re doing club level to keep knocking on the door.

“I think Paul’s just got to keep bringing what he’s brought in other games of footy, which is a power game,” McGregor said.

“The impact him, Russell [Packer] and Jack de Belin have going together and the combination they have running at the moment is really good.

“We’ve been very blessed in that way in that we haven’t had our forwards off the field for much of this year. We’ve had a lot of other injuries through our outside backs and our halves, but that stability around that forward pack has really worked well.

“I think they’ve just got to keep working as a unit and not worry about individual stuff. When we work as a unit we’re a much better footy team. Paul’s a part of that starting unit and it’s important they continue to do that. Paul will continue to grow as a player while ever they’re working so hard for each other.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4721556/mcgregor-dismisses-bulldogs-comparisons/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dugan to mentor Dragons next generation

11 Jun 2017, 1:18 p.m.
r0_0_4393_2929_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Josh Dugan will play a role in grooming his replacement. Picture: Getty Images

HE’LL depart at season’s end but Josh Dugan will play a role in mentoring his successor as Dragons fullback according to coach Paul McGregor.

Dugan will link with Cronulla on a four-year deal from next season after failing to come to terms with the Dragons, leaving a large void in the Dragons spine.

The club has been linked to Rabbitohs flyer Alex Johnston but also have Matt Dufty and Jai Field waiting in the wings who could benefit from Dugan’s guidance.

“Josh will definitely help our playing group and our roster in 2017 for 2018,” McGregor said.

“We’ve got young Dufty there, we’ve got young [Jai] Field there.

“Jason Nightingale is a veteran but he did a really good job when Josh was out at fullback.

“Kurt [Mann] is obviously off-contract so if he stays at the club he’s another option there so, while you can’t easily replace a player like Duges, one woud think that with the depth we have around that position, we’re OK.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4721919/dugan-to-groom-new-fullback/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons junior Zac Lomax named for NSW Blues under 18 team

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

13 Jun 2017, 1:06 p.m.
r0_185_3620_2228_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Honour: Dragons junior Zac Lomax will play for NSW under 18s.

EMERGING Dragons talent Zac Lomax will be out to continue NSW’s domination of the State of Origin arena this year, after being chosen in the Blues under 18 team.

Lomax, earmarked as a future NRL player, was the only St George Illawarra player picked to play Queensland in next Wednesday’s Origin curtain-raiser at ANZ Stadium.

“Zac is one of the most exciting young under 20 players,” Dragons recruitment manager Ian Millward said.

“He’s a good size, pace… a real big person, who has a big future with our club and he’s got a long-term contract.”

Gerringong’s Reuben Garrick and Jack Murchie – who plays for the Raiders – as well as Shellharbour junior Jai Field, Hooker Reece Robson and prop Blake Lawrie all played in the NSW under 20 win before game one in Brisbane.

They won 30-16, as the NSW Origin team went on to record a 28-4 victory over Queensland, their largest ever at Suncorp Stadium.

The NSW under 18 team is coached by Brad Fittler.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4726770/lomax-named-for-junior-blues/?cs=3713

WardyRedV

Juniors
Thompson fronts State of Mind campaign
Thu 8th June, 08:00AM
A A

The NRL has launched the second in a series of community campaigns, highlighting the power for change that NRL players, referees and clubs are delivering to promote positive mental wellbeing amongst grassroots clubs and communities.

St George Illawarra back-rower and NRL State of Mind ambassador Joel Thompson fronts the campaign, which focuses on the game's State of Mind program delivery within grassroots clubs and local communities.

In Australia, one in five people will experience mental illness in any one year and at the crisis end, suicide is the largest killer of individuals aged 15 – 44.

Thompson is one of 30 NRL State of Mind ambassadors in 2017, with 13 new ambassadors joining the program this year, including referees Matt Cecchin and Ben Cummins.

"I've been part of the State of Mind program since the start and I've come to realise how important the education around the topic of mental wellbeing is," Thompson said.

"My role as an ambassador – and for my own personal growth – has been the opportunity to share my story.

"When you see the difference this program makes within clubs and the wider community, you couldn't be prouder to be a part of the NRL and what they are doing."

NRL Head of Government and Community Relations, Jaymes Boland-Rudder said the game's efforts in raising awareness about mental health and delivering programs to improve mental wellbeing in local rugby league clubs had grown considerably over the past few years.

"The NRL State of Mind program is into its third year and in that time, the rugby league community –at all levels and roles within the game – have had access to increased resources and support for one another," Mr Boland-Rudder said.

"Whether it be resilience programs delivered to NRL Clubs or the State of Mind Grassroots program delivered to local rugby league clubs across Australia and New Zealand, we are working hard as a game to do all we can to support our rugby league community.

"Mental wellbeing is an issue that most of us will face at times throughout life and as a sport with a significant voice within communities, we have a responsibility to support and educate not only those connected within our game, but also those around us."

"Joel's story and the stories of many others help to normalise that it's ok to put your hand up and reach out for help.

The NRL's State of Mind program is supported in partnership with expert health partners: Kids Helpline, The Black Dog Institute, headspace, Lifeline and New Zealand based organisation, Le Va.

For more information on the NRL's State of Mind program and other Community Programs that the NRL delivers, visit www.nrl.com/forchange

The 'Power For Change' campaign builds on the narrative of existing community programs and initiatives undertaken year-round by all levels of the Game and supported more broadly throughout communities.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/06/08/thompson_fronts_stat.html

In regards to Thompson, not sure if it's been mentioned already but there was a lurker article about a month or so ago (I know.. Lurker..) saying that he was taking a group of around ten troubled teens on the Kokoda trek at the end of the year. This bloke has been inspirational off and on the field, a true Dragon and a real man others can look up to.

getsmarty

Immortal
McCallum to get a taste of steel at luncheon

15 Jun 2017, 10 a.m.
r0_0_2953_2018_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

OLD FIRM: Illawarra greats David Riolo, Rod Wishart, Bret Rodwell and Neil Piccinelli were part of the Steelers 1992 prelim final line-up.

FRIDAY’S annual Illawarra Rugby League luncheon promised to be one of the best in recent years with a host of Steelers legends gathering to remember what was both the club’s finest hour and greatest heartbreak.

It’s been just shy of 25 years since the Steelers were defeated 4-0 in an epic prelim final clash with St George.

We was robbed of course (that’s our story and we’re sticking with it), with Brett Rodwell twice getting across the line only to be called back on both occasions by referee Greg McCallum.

Highlights from the 1992 preliminary final between Illawarra and St George

Alan McIndoe also claimed a try in the second half after a race with Dragons winger Ricky Walford to a John Simon grubber with the in-goal judge ruling the latter got there first.

It left Walford’s first half try as the only points in the match, securing the Dragons path to the grand final where they were defeated by Brisbane outfit.

Current Dragons coach Paul McGregor had a blinder that day in a line-up that included the likes of Simon, Rod Wishart, David Riolo, Neil Pincinelli, John Cross coached by the late Graham Murray. Star forward Ian Russell was a key out nursing a hamstring injury.

Kick-off spoke Illawarra league Godfather Ian Millward this week, who told us that every time he sees a replay he still thinks the Steelers are going to get over the line.

McCallum will attend on Friday to face a host of those Steelers greats who played that day, with plenty playful ribbing sure to ensue. NSW great Mick Cronin will also attend to receive the honour of NSW Rugby League life membership.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...lers-remember-1992-prelim-final-epic/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Faifai Loa grateful for first grade return
Sat 17th June, 09:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra winger Kalifa Faifai Loa is grateful for his NRL return this weekend when the Dragons play the Parramatta Eels at ANZ Stadium, Olympic Park.

Faifai Loa has only played one NRL game in 2017 - in Round 11 against the Warriors - and paid back coach Paul McGregor's faith with two tries at Hamilton's FMG Stadium.

The dual New Zealand and Samoan international has been picked in the NRL this week in Josh Dugan's absence.

"I was pretty happy with my performance. Even the coach talked to me after the game and told me he was happy with it too," Faifai Loa said.

"I guess that's why he's picking me again while Josh Dugan is away playing Origin. I'm grateful for the opportunity and I hope to work hard for my team this week."

"I'm happy to be where I am now. If I'm in the NRL team, I'll be there for the team. If I'm not then I'm happy to keep working hard in the Intrust Super Premiership," Faifai Loa added.

"Obviously my aim is always to play first grade but I'm happy biding my time in both grades at the moment."

Faifai Loa will also be participating in the St Vinnes Sleepout on June 22 and is hopeful of raising a bit of money in name of improving the livelihood of the homeless.

"Hopefully my partner Tamara and I are able to donate some money," Faifai Loa said.

"Our goal is to reach $5000 so hopefully we hit that by next Thursday."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/06/17/faifai_loa_grateful_.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Dally M voting goes behind closed doors
Fri 16 Jun, 2017, 12:00pm
‌‌‌NRL.com

Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith holds a five point lead in Dally M voting which has now gone 'dark' at the conclusion of Round 14.

Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce and Warriors fullback Roger Tuivasa-Sheck are leading the chasing pack five points behind, with Sharks captain Paul Gallen and Dragons recruit Paul Vaughan a point further back.

Billy Slater has wasted no time in his return to the NRL after two years hampered by injuries, amassing 13 points and is still in the hunt for the prestigious award, tied with Dragons half Gareth Widdop, who is still a chance despite missing three games through injury, Eels' Mr Fix It Clint Gutherson, Panthers' Matt Moylan and Cronulla's Wade Graham.

Voting is now behind closed doors ahead of the formal announcement of the winner in Sydney during Grand Final Week.

The black-tie event has earned a reputation for being rugby league's night of nights, from the red carpet to the vote count, which is screened live on Fox Sports.

The 2017 judging panel includes Greg Alexander, Danny Buderus, Brad Fittler, Mark Gasnier, Andrew Johns, Brett Kimmorley, Darren Lockyer, Peter Sterling and Kevin Walters.

Smith last won the coveted Dally M Medal in 2006. His Melbourne teammate Cooper Cronk was joint winner of the 2016 Dally M Medal, along with North Queensland's Jason Taumololo.

Players who are suspended throughout the season are deducted three Dally M points for each week of suspension. Any player who is suspended for two separate offences in any one season becomes ineligible for the Dally M Medal and Team of the Year.

The 2017 event will be the first following a revised voting process and structure of the awards undertaken by the NRL, designed to provide greater integrity and transparency.

Changes include an independent voting process, a new panel of judges (all former players), the capping of matches for judges and the restriction of consecutive voting on one team, a specifically developed app used to accumulate votes, as well as the addition of accounting firm Ernst and Young to audit the count ahead of the awards ceremony.

The new voting process will exclude media partners as well as the NRL from knowledge of votes until a point determined by the NRL for event delivery purposes.

Dally M leaderboard at conclusion of Round 14

Cameron Smith

Mitchell Pearce

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

Paul Gallen

Paul Vaughan

Billy Slater

Clinton Gutherson

Gareth Widdop

Matt Moylan

Wade Graham

Luke Keary

Sam Burgess

Corey Norman

Jordan Rapana

Matt Gillett

Michael Morgan

Anthony Milford

Tom Trbojevic

Ashley Taylor

Daly Cherry-Evans

Darius Boyd

Jack de Belin

James Graham

Junior Paulo

http://www.nrl.com/dally-m-voting-goes-behind-closed-doors/tabid/10874/newsid/108979/default.aspx

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons fullback Dugan's plan to skirt NRL concussion rules
ADAM PENGILLY
15 Jun 2017, 9:29 a.m.
r0_93_3000_1780_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Relax: NSW coach Laurie Daley and NSW centre Josh Dugan. Picture: Ben Rushton/Fairfax Media

Josh Dugan has pledged to jump straight back to his feet – rather than take the cautious approach and stay on the ground – should he cop another whack to his mended cheekbone to avoid the NRL's "frustrating" head knock protocols in Origin II.

The bemused NSW centre admitted he would change his approach to on-field medical attention after being hauled off under the NRL's slow-to-stand concussion protocols in the Dragons' loss to the Bulldogs on Monday.

The 27-year-old was seething with the decision – and even let St George Illawarra's trainer know his feelings – after copping a high shot from Josh Morris to the same side of the face where he recently fractured a cheekbone.

Asked whether he would jump straight to his feet in a similar situation next Wednesday night at ANZ Stadium, Dugan said: "Yeah, probably. I'll check my face when I'm standing up and not on the ground.

"I passed all the on-field stuff [on Monday] and, as I said, the way I was hit it was across the ear and the cheekbone I fractured, so I took a couple of extra seconds to make sure everything was OK. I was right. I got up, I rolled over and passed the on-field test and then five minutes later they pulled me off.

"That's the way the NRL works and I guess it is for our safety, but it's definitely frustrating at times."

The NRL has introduced an independent doctor, Daelyn Cullen, to rule on head knocks during the State of Origin series, with former players James McManus and Brett Horsnell this year filing lawsuits against their former clubs alleging concussion treatment negligence.

NSW halfback Mitchell Pearce and Queensland debutant Anthony Milford were ruled out during the first match with concussion after a bizarre chain of events in the second half of NSW's record rout.

If deemed a success, the NRL will investigate the viability of an independent doctor on the sideline at finals matches as early as this season.

Dugan was in the eye of the concussion storm earlier this year after the Dragons were fined $100,000 – half of which was suspended – for not replacing their star fullback following an incident against his future employers, Cronulla.

St George Illawarra argued they followed the NRL's concussion protocols.

Dugan, who had been off the field for a matter of minutes before returning to the fold after Pearce's incident in Origin I, at least took solace from the fact his cheekbone survived a brutal clash against the Bulldogs.

"It gave me a lot of confidence," Dugan said. "I copped one or two [hits] in Origin and it was a little bit tender because it was three weeks after [the initial injury], but I've played three games with it now and it's pulled up sweet after every game. The confidence is back there now and I'm ready to go."

Dugan and right-side colleague Blake Ferguson are likely to face a rejigged Queensland back line with Darius Boyd at centre and Maroons rookie winger Valentine Holmes, who has been preferred to the unlucky Corey Oates.

Dugan, who frequently transitions from the No.1 at club level to centre at representative level, scoffed at suggestions Boyd would be challenged in the front line and heaped praise on his soon-to-be Cronulla teammate Holmes.

'[Darius] is a fullback that defends in the line sometime," Dugan said. "He does make tackles and he makes tackles on big boys. I think he'll handle it pretty well.

"It's just getting up and down off the deck and defending in the front line, that's the biggest thing I got used to the more and more I played it.

"I don't think Corey Oates did too much wrong, to be honest. It's an interesting change. But Val is a brave ball runner and he'll bring the ball back at 100 miles an hour and he does get their sets started pretty well. We'll have to do a job on their back five again."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...s-plan-to-skirt-nrl-concussion-rules/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Are St George Illawarra in danger of missing the finals after Parramatta Eels loss?
Michael Chammas
19 Jun 2017, 2:41 p.m.

St George Illawarra have now lost five of their past seven games and, as ridiculous as it sounds for a team that led the competition earlier in the season, now find themselves facing the possibility of missing the eight altogether.

The attacking flair and variety they enjoyed during their hot streak earlier in the season has been replaced with somewhat familiar predictability as they slumped to their sixth straight loss against the Eels in their head-to-head encounters.

Slowing down: The Dragons have lost five of their last seven NRL games. Photo: Getty Images

The alarm bells started ringing at ANZ Stadium on Sunday afternoon when the Dragons fell 24-10 to Parramatta, raising the question over the Dragons' finals credentials despite a strong opening to the season.

All of a sudden they have fallen to sixth position and now find themselves just two points clear of the ninth placed Parramatta.

What came easy for the Dragons for the first two and a bit months now seems difficult, almost as if they expect it all to come as easy as it looked when they were winning.

But coach Paul McGregor disagrees.

"Definitely not, they don't feel anything comes easy," McGregor said following the loss.

"There's a lot of talent there. Sometimes the confidence gets down pretty quickly but we have enough talent to do well in this competition. We just have to be confident about the way we go about it.

"The boys certainly don't get ahead of themselves, is that what you mean? No. Definitely not. It's the opposite actually. We just have to get some belief back there."

Granted, Josh Dugan and Tyson Frizell would have made a significant difference had they not been across the road at the Pullman Hotel with their NSW Blues teammates.

But there is still plenty of cause for concern for the men in red and white. Thankfully, the NRL draw is quite friendly to the Dragons over the next eight weeks, taking on wooden spoon favourites Newcastle and the struggling Titans twice each in a period that also includes another bye.

"It's disappointing because as a group we've gone away from completing high and working hard for one another to just trying to score and put ourselves under pressure," McGregor said.

"It's a combination of a few things but putting ourselves under fatigue certainly doesn't help. We've had a bit of distraction over the past couple of weeks with players in and out and the bye. But there's no excuse there.

"We have to better. There are a lot of blokes who care in the shed. Sometimes when it happens you put yourself under too much pressure and you freeze a little bit. It's not one thing. It's a combination of a few."

In the opposition sheds, the Paramatta Eels were celebrating a return to the winner's board after an uninspiring outing against the Cowboys in Darwin the previous week.

Coach Brad Arthur made a number of positional changes before kick off, switching Bevan French to the wing to accommodate Gutherson's never-ending shift through the Eels backline to fullback.

It proved a masterstroke with Gutherson bagging a double and French making a number of significant plays from the right edge.

"Bevan trained really well all week. He had the choice to sulk about it but he didn't," Arthur said of the positional shift.

"That's the sort of kid he is. He worked really hard all week at training with Jenko (Michael Jennings) on that right edge. They did a great job in defence and Bevan nailed a couple of big moments for us tonight. Maybe he was the difference in the game for us. He was really good. He put his body on the line. He's not real heavy or strong at the moment but his decision making was good."

The Eels have highlighted French as their long term fullback, but Arthur knows French is still developing and needs to get the red-hot Gutherson around the ball if they are to make a charge into the finals this year.

"In my view Bevan's best position moving forward is fullback but he's still only young and learning his trade," Arthur said.

"At the end of the day we just need to put the best possible team out there every week to win a footy game. Gutho is just a footballer and I don't know where his best position is to tell you the truth. You just need to have him on the field somewhere."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4739358/could-the-dragons-miss-the-eight/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor demands Dragons believe in NRL top four cause

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

19 Jun 2017, 2:37 p.m.
THEY’VE lurched from first to sixth, as the representative schedule and key injuries took their toll.

r450_109_5179_3448_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Charge: Josh Dugan

But coach Paul McGregor is adamant the Dragons are anything but a spent premiership force, after their flying start to the season.

And the door remains wide open to a top four finish, with five games against the bottom four teams in the next eight weeks.

Coach Paul McGregor said it was time for the players to believe they are contenders.

“We’ve got enough talent to go well,” he said.

“We’ve just got to be confident in how we go about it.

“They certainly don’t get ahead of themselves, certainly not.

“The opposite actually, they’ve just got to have a bit more belief there.”

The rollercoaster ride peaked before the Anzac Day loss to the Roosters, then nosedived after Josh Dugan fractured his cheekbone in the Anzac Test.

While Dugan has since recovered and is on the verge of making history on Wednesday night, when NSW attempt to wrap up the State of Origin series, Tyson Frizell remains in doubt to play against the Knights on Sunday.

Frizell will have a painkilling injection to play Origin II with rib cartilage damage.

They’ve won just two games in the past two months, but hope remains.

Taking on Newcastle on Sunday at Kogarah, the Dragons then face the Titans twice, the struggling Rabbitohs and the Knights again.

The Titans have lost their last four, while the Knights have won just two games.

Their biggest tests loom in a trip to Canberra two days after Origin game three and a date with Manly at WIN Stadium on July 23.

Just two points behind fourth-placed Brisbane and Manly, in fifth, the Wollongong clash looms as potentially defining for their top four hopes.

• BATTLE AHEAD
The Dragons next two months

R16: Sunday v Knights at Kogarah (2pm); R17: June 30 v Titans at Cbus Super Stadium; R18 bye; R19: July 14 v Raiders at GIO Stadium; R20: July 23 v Sea Eagles at WIN Stadium; R21: TBA v Knights at McDonald Jones Stadium; R22: TBA v Rabbitohs at SCG; R23: TBA v Titans at UOW Jubilee Oval

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...ragons-believe-in-nrl-top-four-cause/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Humble St George Illawarra Dragons forward Tyson Frizell set to be State of Origin star
Andrew Parkinson
20 Jun 2017, 7 a.m.
r7_380_2560_1813_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Out of my way: St George Illawarra forward Tyson Frizell has been impressive at State of Origin level for NSW. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

He is one of the elite forwards in the game but there is a part of Tyson Frizell that still can’t believe he is an Origin player.

The St George Illawarra back-rower will again start for NSW in game two at ANZ Stadium on Wednesday night as New South Wales look to secure just their second series win in 12 years.

Frizell has made an impressive start to his State of Origin career, scoring twice in his three matches that have also yielded two victories.

Frizell has already represented Australia and was a shining light for the Dragons during a disappointing campaign for the club last season.

But as good as he has been and despite the plaudits that have come his way, the humble 25-year-old told the Leader he appreciated all that had come his way.

“It’s still funny getting your name called out and getting asked to play,” he said.

“I’m very honoured to be able to wear the jersey again. Whenever you play in that rep side you want to do whatever you can because you never know when it could be your last. I guess that’s what I take into every Origin game.”

r0_367_4134_2691_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Tyson Frizell

Frizell is one of seven St George Illawarra and Cronulla players to feature in Origin II, highlighting the impressive starts to the season made by both clubs. Frizell will be joined by Dragons teammate Josh Dugan in the NSW side with the pair to play alongside Sharks quartet James Maloney, Andrew Fifita, Wade Graham and Jack Bird.

Young Cronulla star Valentine Holmes is the sole representative for Queensland, with the 21-year-old premiership-winner and Australian representative to make his Origin debut.

Frizell said he was “pretty close” to not playing for the Dragons against Canterbury last weekend due to a rib injury. But he managed to get through 60 minutes in that game before heading into Origin camp.

The Blues forward pack set the tone for the 28-4 victory in game one in Brisbane and Frizell was confident he would be right for the physical battle against a new-look Maroons pack.

“We set the platform and set some standards in the first game,” he said.

“We just want to go back to what we did and that’s completing high and competing on everything. That’s what we did well.

“I expect a lot out of [Queensland]. To be honest I didn’t think they would make that many changes. It’s young blood, freshens up the team. Usually when you debut you want to put your best foot forward and I guess they’re going to be keen as anything.

“But I guess for us as a team we can’t really worry about what they’re going to throw at us.”

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4734705/humble-frizell-set-to-be-state-of-origin-star/?cs=3833

Latest posts