What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Family the number one motivator for uni graduate Packer

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

14 Sep 2017, 10 p.m.
r0_0_5472_3648_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOP OF THE CLASS. Russell Packer with wife Lara, son Marley and daughter Maddie at University of Wollongong. Picture: Sylvia Liber

FROM NRL bad boy, to one of the game’s shining lights.

It’s the journey departing Dragons forward Russell Packer has been on in three years rebuilding his life and NRL career in Wollongong.

It culminated in his graduation from University of Wollongong on Wednesday with a graduate certificate in business, three years after a prison sentence almost cost him everything.

The one constant through it all, has been the support of wife Lara and his children, daughter Maddie and son Marley, who were on hand to witness his graduation.

“It’s a nice way to finish, not only at the Dragons, but this little chapter of our our life here in Wollongong,” Packer said.

“It makes me really proud. They’ve been with me the whole way, through thick and thin. They’re a massive motivator for me, not only in sport, but in academic work and just how I try to live my life now.

“It’s an old cliche, but they’re the reason why you do it. It’s good to have them here and share in this special moment. We can look back at the pictures in 10-15 years and it’ll be a moment we can cherish as a family.”

Packer has found career best form with the Dragons this season, earning a recall for the Kiwis six years after debuting in the Test arena.

He said focus on his studies has played no small role in his career resurgence, particularly the year he spent in rugby league purgatory.

“[Education’s] been pretty integral part of my journey for the last three years,” Packer said.

“I’ve talked a lot about it, particularly in the last couple of days reflecting on things.

“Coming out and starting afresh, education was the foundation to rebuild my life and rebuild my career as a rugby league player.

“Everything that I’ve been through shows that rugby league can stop at any one point in time. Eventually we’ll all need to get real jobs, or whatever you want to call them.

“Hopefully some guys out there can use me as an example that anyone can have a crack after all the stuff I’ve been through.”

Packer will now link with Wests Tigers on four-year deal from 2018, but he said his time in Wollongong with Dragons is a period he will always treasure.

“It’s obviously sad to leave, I’ll do it with a heavy heart,” Packer said.

“My family and I have rebuilt our life here. My daughter’s seven, she was only four when we came here. She’s had her first day of school here, all those type of life-long memories we’ve made in our three years here.

“A lot of great relationships have been made but, as it is in anything, one door closes another one opens. We’re excited about our future.

“It’s tough to make that decision [to leave], but we were happy at the time and that’s still the case now. I’m really excited to join the Tigers.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4923579/packer-moves-on-from-school-of-hard-knocks/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Packer caps off Dragons career with UOW graduation
Fri 15th September, 04:00PM
A A

The St George Illawarra Dragons were on hand at the University of Wollongong (UOW) on Wednesday afternoon to witness a special moment for Russell Packer and his family.

Before he departs for the Wests Tigers in 2018, Packer was afforded the opportunity to graduate from UOW with a Graduate Certificate in Business with Distinctions.

The New Zealand international was presented his Graduate Certificate by the Executive Dean of UOW's Business Faculty, Charles Areni.

Packer commenced his studies at UOW in 2015 via a Bachelor of Commerce (Accountancy and Finance) where he achieved exceptional results and earned himself a place on the Dean’s Merit List.

In 2017, following his undergraduate success, Packer applied and was accepted into a Graduation Certificate in Business based on his results and experience.

Having now completed the Graduate Certificate, Packer plans to continue his studies by working towards a Masters of Business Administration.

The Dragons and UOW Graduates of League program played a key role in Packer's achievements.

To learn more about the Graduates of League program, click here.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/09/15/packer_caps_off_drag.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Thompson named as Ken Stephen Medal finalist
Tue 19th September, 01:00PM
A A

As well as winning the Mark Coyne Trophy and Community Involvement Award at the Dragons presentation night on Sunday, St George Illawarra back-rower Joel Thompson has also been nominated for the 2017 Ken Stephen Medal.

Last year's Ken Stephen Medal Award winner, Thompson has made it his personal goal to inspire others.

Drawing upon his own experiences to positively impact the lives of disadvantaged and at-risk youth, Thompson has a captivating story to tell. He understands better than most about the hardships that young people can face and this is very much the driving force behind his off-field actions.

"I come from pretty humble beginnings, I moved around a fair bit and I saw a lot of things that kids probably shouldn't see growing up," Thompson said.

Thompsonhas never forgotten his roots, regularly visiting remote areas and his old high school, Red Bend Catholic College. Thompson is also one of six players to support children through the Dragons Indigenous Mentoring Program.

This year, Thompson has been actively involved in the 2017 Dragons School Diary, stressing the importance of a healthy lifestyle, as well as Dusty and Friends, an early childhood resilience program.

Away from the Dragons, Thompson has been an enthusiastic participant in a range of NRL community programs, including the NRL Dream Believe Achieve, School to Work and State of Mind. As an NRL State of Mind ambassador, Thompson helps to tackle the stigma regarding mental illness.

Not content with promoting the importance of education in the community, Thompson is currently studying hard to achieve a Bachelor of Social Work degree. His ambition is to work in the juvenile justice system at the completion of his Rugby League career.

The Ken Stephen Medal

Ken Stephen was an administrator who devoted 28 years to the NSWRL in various capacities. He retired shortly before his death in 1988. The Ken Stephen Medal recognises the efforts of an NRL player, who has not only achieved on the field, but has also committed time off the field to community projects.

A player is nominated by their NRL club for their involvement in charity work, youth development or community support. The nominated player will have consistently demonstrated their commitment to making a difference in their community and be seen as a role model in this area at their NRL club.

The NRL Community Awards recognise Rugby League's unsung heroes for the tireless work they do to support the game they love. From volunteers and teachers, to players at a first-grade level, the awards pause to honour, reflect and congratulate those who make a positive difference for many in their communities, week after week.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/09/19/thompson_named_as_ke.html

getsmarty

Immortal
No reward the best reward for young Dragons
Mon 18th September, 01:00PM
A A

Despite coming third in the NYC regular season and booking a spot in the preliminary finals almost a fortnight ago, the young Dragons were left shocked that not one of their players were recently named in the NRL Holden Cup Team of the Year.

Only once in Holden Cup history (2015) has a Dragon failed to make the Team of the Year, with the Red V boasting the equal second-most TOTY representatives since the NYC's inception.

With a huge final four clash beckoning, the likes of centre Matheson Johns and coach Wayne Collins believe that team unity is the most important thing above all.

Having no one make the Team of the Year is a testament to the young Dragons' unity - which will be on a show this Saturday afternoon against the Sea Eagles at Allianz Stadium.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/09/18/no_reward_the_best_r.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Latimore returns to Dragons
Wed 20th September, 10:01AM
A A

1505864985917.jpg;pv0b24695044ea3bfb

: NRL Round 11, Dragons v Souths, WIN Jubilee Oval, Sunday 20th May 2012. Photo: Copyright :copyright: Renee McKay/Action Photographics

St George Illawarra have announced that front-rower Jeremy Latimore will return to the Dragons on a one-year deal.

Latimore spent the 2012 Telstra Premiership season at the club, and will return to the Dragons until at least the end of 2018.

The 30-year-old has played 139 NRL games to date – having spent time at the Parramatta Eels (2009), New Zealand Warriors (2010-11), Penrith Panthers (2013-16) and the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks (2017) previously.

Latimore also featured for the Prime Minister's XIII side back in 2015 against Papua New Guinea.

Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward was pleased to add a further element of experience to the Dragons' 2018 squad.

"When we came to the decision with Jeremy, it was more so to see what he could bring to the club off the field just as much as what he could bring on it. Jeremy is very keen to be involved in that process," Millward said.

"We were looking for a player who had played over 100 first grade games and who could come into our squad and add some experience and character.

"We also have to anticipate that we may have Paul Vaughan and definitely Tyson Frizell and Jack de Belin out over the Origin series next season so we wanted to make sure we weren't throwing all of our young boys in over that period."

Latimore's signature is another boost for the Dragons following the external acquisitions of Ben Hunt and James Graham earlier this year.

It the follows the likes of skipper Gareth Widdop, Tyson Frizell, Euan Aitken, Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan, Tim Lafai, Kurt Mann, Jason Nightingale, Jai Field, Jacob Host, Blake Lawrie, Luciano Leilua and Reece Robson who have extended their arrangements with the Dragons during 2017.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/09/20/latimore_returns_to_.af_news.html

getsmarty

Immortal
End of season sale starts today
Wed 20th September, 10:00AM
A A

1505799558678.jpg;pv41c4ece689aee751

The Dragons Team Store are holding their end of season sale exclusively in-store and online, with selected stock up to 70 per cent off!

The end of season sale will commence from 12am Wednesday, September 20 until 11:59pm Sunday, September 24.

With the introduction of Afterpay to the Dragons Online Team Store, it's a perfect opportunity to load up ahead on all your favourite red and white gear!

Head to the Dragons Team Store located at St George Leagues Club (124 Princess Highway, Kogarah NSW 2217) or visit the Dragons Online Team Store here.

Dragons Team Store Trading Hours:

Wednesday: 10am to 5pm AEST

Thursday: 10am to 5pm AEST

Friday: 10am to 5pm AEST

Saturday: 10am to 4pm AEST

Sunday: Closed

For full terms and conditions regarding the Dragons Team Store End of Season sale please click here.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/09/20/end_of_season_sale_s.af_news.html

getsmarty

Immortal
New Cronulla Sharks recruit Josh Dugan has a 'bee in his bonnet' regarding St George Illawarra Dragons exit according to Paul Gallen
Andrew Parkinson
21 Sep 2017, 9 a.m.
r616_119_4070_1837_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Trading places: Dragons star Josh Dugan will join Cronulla next season. Picture: John Veage

Paul Gallen believes Josh Dugan has a “bee in his bonnet” regarding his exit from St George Illawarra and will help lead Cronulla towards another premiership charge next season.

Dugan will leave the Dragons for their fierce local rivals after the Sharks announced in May they had signed the 27-year-old on a four-year deal worth a reported $3 million starting in 2018.

The current Australian Test centre and veteran of 12 State of Origin appearances for NSW is likely to slot in at centre for the 2016 premiers to replace Brisbane-bound Jack Bird.

Fairfax Media reported in April that the Dragons’ hierarchy had told Dugan’s management they saw him as a long-term centre. Dragons coach Paul McGregor indicated he would continue to play Dugan at fullback, with Sharks coach Shane Flanagan making the most of the uncertainty to sign Dugan from under St George Illawarra’s nose.

Gallen said the signing of Dugan and the young brigade at the Sharks excited him as he prepares to go around for an 18th NRL season.

“I think Josh Dugan is going to be good for us, I really do,” he said.

“I think he’s had a bit of a bee in his bonnet about this year and what went on and proved that he’s still a top player. Fingers crossed he can come to the club and [do well].

“Obviously we’ve got a really good young group of players coming through who I think can excel into first graders. Guys like Jayden Brailey leading the way there, he’s only going to get better. He’s a terrific player.

“Definitely next year we’re going to start the season with the goal to finish in the top four and fingers crossed we get there.”

Gallen has taken some time to get over the hurt of Cronulla’s controversial elimination finals exit to North Queensland a fortnight ago, describing it as the most painful of his glittering 304-game career.

“It’s been one of the lowest, toughest weeks of my career,” he said.

“You lose Origin you sort of come back and play club football pretty quickly. It’s been the hardest exit from the competition I’ve ever had as a player and that includes grand final qualifiers. It’s just such an empty, numb feeling. A ‘what could have been’ type year. It’s a shame.

“I just thought the way we went out was tough.”

And Gallen indicated that 2018 might not be his last.

“I’m not going to rule it out [playing on]. It’s a really hard one because you get people joking about your age on television and things like that,” he said.

“But at the end of the day as I said to Flano last year, just judge me on what I’m doing on the field. And obviously I’ve got to be performing at that level again and see how the body and mind holds up and see if I’m still enjoying it.”

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4935275/dugan-has-a-bee-in-his-bonnet-gallen/?cs=3833

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
New Cronulla Sharks recruit Josh Dugan has a 'bee in his bonnet' regarding St George Illawarra Dragons exit according to Paul Gallen
Andrew Parkinson
21 Sep 2017, 9 a.m.

Trading places: Dragons star Josh Dugan will join Cronulla next season. Picture: John Veage

Paul Gallen believes Josh Dugan has a “bee in his bonnet” regarding his exit from St George Illawarra and will help lead Cronulla towards another premiership charge next season.

Dugan will leave the Dragons for their fierce local rivals after the Sharks announced in May they had signed the 27-year-old on a four-year deal worth a reported $3 million starting in 2018.

The current Australian Test centre and veteran of 12 State of Origin appearances for NSW is likely to slot in at centre for the 2016 premiers to replace Brisbane-bound Jack Bird.

Fairfax Media reported in April that the Dragons’ hierarchy had told Dugan’s management they saw him as a long-term centre. Dragons coach Paul McGregor indicated he would continue to play Dugan at fullback, with Sharks coach Shane Flanagan making the most of the uncertainty to sign Dugan from under St George Illawarra’s nose.

Gallen said the signing of Dugan and the young brigade at the Sharks excited him as he prepares to go around for an 18th NRL season.

“I think he’s had a bit of a bee in his bonnet about this year and what went on and proved that he’s still a top player. Fingers crossed he can come to the club and [do well].

“Obviously we’ve got a really good young group of players coming through who I think can excel into first graders. Guys like Jayden Brailey leading the way there, he’s only going to get better. He’s a terrific player.

“Definitely next year we’re going to start the season with the goal to finish in the top four and fingers crossed we get there.”

Gallen has taken some time to get over the hurt of Cronulla’s controversial elimination finals exit to North Queensland a fortnight ago, describing it as the most painful of his glittering 304-game career.

“You lose Origin you sort of come back and play club football pretty quickly. It’s been the hardest exit from the competition I’ve ever had as a player and that includes grand final qualifiers. It’s just such an empty, numb feeling. A ‘what could have been’ type year. It’s a shame.

“I’m not going to rule it out [playing on]. It’s a really hard one because you get people joking about your age on television and things like that,” he said.

“But at the end of the day as I said to Flano last year, just judge me on what I’m doing on the field. And obviously I’ve got to be performing at that level again and see how the body and mind holds up and see if I’m still enjoying it.”

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4935275/dugan-has-a-bee-in-his-bonnet-gallen/?cs=3833

I reckon Gallen is a dcikhead but you don't see me running to the papers about it.

Last edited:
Andrew Parkinson
21 Sep 2017, 9 a.m.

Glad he's not with us any more.
Try scoring and try assist record abysmal.
They'll need a crow bar to get the ball off him at Cronulla.
Will still do his hard running thing but we are better off going in a different direction.

hewi

Bench
Glad he's not with us any more.
Try scoring and try assist record abysmal.
They'll need a crow bar to get the ball off him at Cronulla.
Will still do his hard running thing but we are better off going in a different direction.

Will be interesting to see how he goes under a new and successful coach.

hewi

Bench
Who cares. He's gone. Didn't see himself as a centre with us but signed to play centre with the scum. Don't understand why he's whinging. Good riddance

The only reason I care is that if his whole game and effectiveness was to change for the better then it would further confirm how bad McGregor really is.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Will be interesting to see how he goes under a new and successful coach.

More like interested to see how he goes with a coach that does not let him do his own thing. Duges wanted to play centre so he can make NSW, Mary puts him at centre. Duges wants to play fullback, he goes fullback. Duges wants a massage by Mary gets a massage. Only when he signed with the Sharks Mary decided to move him to centre and it worked out good for Dufty. Duges is a great player but looks like a really hard person to deal with and sulks if things don't go his way. Good luck Sharks.

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
Andrew Parkinson
21 Sep 2017, 9 a.m.

Bee in his Bonnet. Is that a grade 2 or 3? how many weeks will that keep him out for?