What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop to light Dragons’ attacking fire

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

9 Jan 2017, 2:02 p.m.
r0_113_3000_1800_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

LEAD THE WAY: Gareth Widdop. Picture: Getty Images

CAPTAIN Gareth Widdop has declared he will take control of a Dragons attacking overhaul, as coach Paul McGregor considers the halfback options in the pre-season.

I’ll certainly be taking charge more - Gareth Widdop

The St George Illawarra squad kicked off 2017 with a ball work session on Monday, after a torturous three-day camp last week.

McGregor is confronted with finding a new No.7 this season, after Benji Marshall left the club for Brisbane and Illawarra Cutters premiership player Drew Hutchison suffered a season-ending anterior cruciate ligament injury before Christmas.

Widdop expects Josh McCrone, Shaun Nona and Jai Field all to have time to audition during training and in the trial games before a decision is made on who plays in the NRL opener against Penrith on March 4.

“We’ll be changing things up a little bit, with Benji leaving,” he said.

“I’ll certainly be taking charge more. Over the next few weeks we’ll be working on making sure we get it right before the season starts.

“It’s only the first day back on the paddock, but we’ll go through the way we want to play and our structures over the next few weeks and come up with a plan.”

The Dragons only managed 341 points last year, an average of 14.2 per game, in limping to 11th.

And without a high-profile partner for Widdop, they’ve already been written off for next year, as rank $81 outsiders in premiership betting markets.

However, Widdop expects Marshall and Hutchison’s replacement to make an immediate impact this year.

“I’m a good mate of Drew’s, it’s very disappointing, the way he’s going to be out for most of the season now,” he said.

“But it opens an opportunity and obviously we’ve got Josh McCrone, who played 150 first grade games and Jai Field and Shaun Nona.

“So we’ve got plenty of players for that position.”

Field and Nona could be handed a golden opportunity at the NRL Auckland Nines next month, with Widdop likely to miss the pre-season tournament with his wife due to give birth to their third child.

“I don’t know if I’ll be able to go away, so we’re just sort of playing it by ear,” he said.

Experienced Dragons winger Jason Nightingale, who was part of the New Zealand Four Nations squad, believes the answer to their attacking woes is to simplify their attacking structures.

The last remaining member of the 2010 premiership team, Nightingale said pre-season soul searching has helped them find solutions.

“We’re trying to keep it simple, that’s the main thing,” he said. “Because that’s where we over-complicated things. At times looked like we looked like we haven’t known what we’re doing, but it’s been a bit more that we’ve been making it more complicated than we needed to make it.”

The Dragons take on Parramatta, Manly and the Warriors in their Auckland Nine group, starting Feburary 4, before tackling the Tigers at WIN Stadium and the Charity Shield game against Souths on February 19.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4393018/widdop-to-light-dragons-attacking-fire/?cs=3713

DUB888

Juniors
St George Illawarra Dragons’ best 17 for 2017 NRL season: Crucial season looms for Red V halves.

DREW Hutchison’s heartbreaking ACL injury has been one of the big storylines this pre-season.

The youngster was set to take over St George Illawarra’s No. 7 jersey following the departure of Benji Marshall, but will now have to watch his team from the sidelines for most of the season.

Dragons fans had their fingers and toes crossed in the hope that Hutchison would be able to breathe some life into an attack that was only marginally better than wooden spooners Newcastle in 2016.

Now they’ll be praying his replacement and five-eighth Gareth Widdop can deliver the points the team desperately needs.
The likes of Todd Carney, Chris Sandow and Jackson Hastings have all be linked to the club since Hutchison’s injury, but the Red V has stressed they would be looking at personnel already on their roster.

That includes former Canberra playmaker Josh McCrone, utility Kurt Mann, Illawarra Cutters half Shaun Nona, and under 20s star Jai Field.

So the race is on, and so is the heat. Coach Paul McGregor is off-contract and in the firing line.

If his halves generate the same insipid attack we saw for much of 2016 it could well see McGregor’s tenure shot before the season is out.

THE LOCK

The forward pack — The Dragons were long criticised for having a small pack, but that’s no longer the case.

This year they’ve added Paul Vaughan, who will join the likes Russell Packer in the front row.

Then they’ve got the likes of Tyson Frizell, who is coming off a stellar season, Joel Thompson, Tariq Sims, Leeson Ah Mau and young guns Jacob Host and Luciano Leilua.

These guys must produce if they’re to give their backline time and space to move.

THE BUBBLE

Josh McCrone — The former Raiders playmaker is widely tipped to get first crack at halfback following the exit of Marshall and the injury to Hutchison.

The 29-year-old has plenty of experience having played 140 NRL games, as well as helping the Illawarra Cutters to Intrust Super Premiership and NRL State Championship titles in 2016.

He’ll need to step up in the role with Kurt Mann, Shaun Nona and Jai Field all nipping at his heels.

THE RISING STAR

Luciano Leilua — If you thought Raiders centre Joey Leilua was a big bloke, take a look at his 20-year-old, 112kg brother who looks set to become a regular fixture in the Dragons’ line up.

The Hurstville United junior made his debut in round 22 last season and went on to make a total of five appearances.

Leilua recently re-signed with the club for a further two years and after another pre-season under his belt, he’ll be ready to explode.

IT’S A BIG YEAR FOR …

Gareth Widdop — The England international’s form took a hit in 2016, with Widdop unable to spark the team’s dire attack.

Whether or not the pressure of his first season as captain weighed on him remains to be seen, but he needs to step up his leadership on the field to give the Dragons any hope of challenging the powerhouse sides.

With Hutchison out for most of the season, Widdop’s experience in the halves will become even more crucial. He, like star fullback Josh Dugan, will be out to earn a contract extension beyond 2017.

THE BEST 17:

1. Josh Dugan

2. Nene Macdonald

3. Euan Aitken

4. Taane Milne

5. Jason Nightingale

6. Gareth Widdop

7. Josh McCrone*

8. Paul Vaughan

9. Cameron McInnes

10. Russell Packer

11. Tyson Frizell

12. Joel Thompson

13. Jack de Belin

Interchange:

14. Tariq Sims

15. Jacob Host

16. Leeson Ah Mau

17. Luciano Leilua

* Drew Hutchison has been ruled out for the season with an ACL injury.

** Mose Masoe was not considered due to an indefinite knee injury.

OTHERS: Matt Dufty, Kalifa Faifai Loa, Yaw Kiti Glymin, Siliva Havili, Jacob Hind, Josh Kerr, Tim Lafai, Chris Lewis, Kurt Mann, Jake Marketo, Will Matthews, Tyrone McCarthy, Shaun Nona, Hame Sele, Izaac Thompson.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...s/news-story/e9a8796a98c5f67c7b60785d3e5cf8f6

Dragsters

First Grade
Widdop taking more control?

Could this in fact mean Widdop to halfback if either Nona or Field get the nod above mccrone?

I would prefer this option if Mann is overlooked.

Widdop to half, Nona to five eighth, with Jai getting a run at five eighth at some point perhaps.

hewi

Bench
Don't like the reference to Mose having an indefinite knee injury, I thought he would be available in March sometime.

Carlton

Juniors
This is what we didn't want to hear.

Widdop entrenched in 1st grade and trotting out excuses just like Mary. A dog act blaming Marshall for the lack of attack and saying that you can now do something about fixing it. Our biggest problem with the attack began at dummy half and then the halves where Widdop was far worse than Benji in attack.

I want to see the club use this year to set themselves up for 2018 and beyond. Look at every option within the club, don't just accept incumbents, work out exactly who we need to purchase and put a plan in place to get them.

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
Widdop article seems to indicate that Mann is not being considered for a spot in the halves
Not so sure, but in the training photos on the website it looked like Mann was passing in the centre of the field. The coaches would be insane not to give Mann a go in the halves for the trials and nines. He was exceptional when I saw him play for the Sunshine Coast team in the halves. Seriously, Widdop either kicks it into blokes legs, out on the full or gets caught running sideways. So much for international half.

since77

Juniors
While I'd never wish an injury on a player, Mc Gregor's idiotic tendency to go with the safest option would be fixed if Mc Crone was injured in pre season training.

monsterkev

Juniors
Widdop to light Dragons’ attacking fire

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

9 Jan 2017, 2:02 p.m.
r0_113_3000_1800_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

LEAD THE WAY: Gareth Widdop. Picture: Getty Images

CAPTAIN Gareth Widdop has declared he will take control of a Dragons attacking overhaul, as coach Paul McGregor considers the halfback options in the pre-season.

I’ll certainly be taking charge more - Gareth Widdop

The St George Illawarra squad kicked off 2017 with a ball work session on Monday, after a torturous three-day camp last week.

McGregor is confronted with finding a new No.7 this season, after Benji Marshall left the club for Brisbane and Illawarra Cutters premiership player Drew Hutchison suffered a season-ending anterior cruciate ligament injury before Christmas.

Widdop expects Josh McCrone, Shaun Nona and Jai Field all to have time to audition during training and in the trial games before a decision is made on who plays in the NRL opener against Penrith on March 4.

“We’ll be changing things up a little bit, with Benji leaving,” he said.

“I’ll certainly be taking charge more. Over the next few weeks we’ll be working on making sure we get it right before the season starts.

“It’s only the first day back on the paddock, but we’ll go through the way we want to play and our structures over the next few weeks and come up with a plan.”

The Dragons only managed 341 points last year, an average of 14.2 per game, in limping to 11th.

And without a high-profile partner for Widdop, they’ve already been written off for next year, as rank $81 outsiders in premiership betting markets.

However, Widdop expects Marshall and Hutchison’s replacement to make an immediate impact this year.

“I’m a good mate of Drew’s, it’s very disappointing, the way he’s going to be out for most of the season now,” he said.

“But it opens an opportunity and obviously we’ve got Josh McCrone, who played 150 first grade games and Jai Field and Shaun Nona.

“So we’ve got plenty of players for that position.”

Field and Nona could be handed a golden opportunity at the NRL Auckland Nines next month, with Widdop likely to miss the pre-season tournament with his wife due to give birth to their third child.

“I don’t know if I’ll be able to go away, so we’re just sort of playing it by ear,” he said.

Experienced Dragons winger Jason Nightingale, who was part of the New Zealand Four Nations squad, believes the answer to their attacking woes is to simplify their attacking structures.

The last remaining member of the 2010 premiership team, Nightingale said pre-season soul searching has helped them find solutions.

“We’re trying to keep it simple, that’s the main thing,” he said. “Because that’s where we over-complicated things. At times looked like we looked like we haven’t known what we’re doing, but it’s been a bit more that we’ve been making it more complicated than we needed to make it.”

The Dragons take on Parramatta, Manly and the Warriors in their Auckland Nine group, starting Feburary 4, before tackling the Tigers at WIN Stadium and the Charity Shield game against Souths on February 19.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4393018/widdop-to-light-dragons-attacking-fire/?cs=3713
Structure,structure and more structure
Much the same as last season then
Structure is what our trouble has been all along
Bring out marys playbook from 2016

getsmarty

Immortal
Nightingale: Striving For Optimal Fitness
Tue 10th January, 09:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons winger Jason Nightingale says he is excited to return to training following an extended break after representing New Zealand at the recent Four Nations tournament in the UK.

Nightingale, who spoke highly of his time representing his country, admits he can’t wait to rip in over the next couple of weeks ahead of the upcoming trials and Auckland Nines.

After training by himself in the lead-up to the New Year, the Renown United junior admitted he is relieved to return to the paddock and train alongside his teammates.

“It definitely beats training on my own,” said Nightingale.

“It’s good having someone else to talk to besides the people in my head.

“I’m definitely feeling pretty good and fresh and ready to rip back into optimum fitness.

“I’m really looking forward to the one month’s preparation before we go at it again.

“I think we have made a few good acquisitions over the off-season.

“It seems like there are some good blokes that are really going to do wonders for our group.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/10/nightingale_striving.html

emu62

Juniors
Not sure why everyone is so concerned whether someone is half back or five eighth. Generally one plays on one side of the ruck & the other on the other side. As Peter Sterling has said many times " the only difference these days between a half & 5/8 is the number on their back.

Not sure why everyone is so concerned whether someone is half back or five eighth. Generally one plays on one side of the ruck & the other on the other side. As Peter Sterling has said many times " the only difference these days between a half & 5/8 is the number on their back.

They may well simply play on different sides of the park however one of the two will dominate as play maker

Captaincy plus Mary's nonsensical game plan has destroyed Widdop's confidence

Unsure whether Hunt would make a difference to our attack whilst Mary is coach

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Widdop taking more control?

Could this in fact mean Widdop to halfback if either Nona or Field get the nod above mccrone?

I would prefer this option if Mann is overlooked.

Widdop to half, Nona to five eighth, with Jai getting a run at five eighth at some point perhaps.

I agree 100%

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons Partner With Domus Lighting
Wed 11th January, 12:00PM
A A

1484096670499.jpg

The St George Illawarra Dragons have received a further boost heading into the 2017 season by announcing Domus Lighting as the new above-number Apparel Partner for two seasons, until at least the end of 2018.

Domus Lighting is a highly regarded manufacturer and distributor of lighting products located in Kingsgrove with over fifty-years of experience serving the Australasian market.

The Australian-owned and locally-based company is renowned for its innovation, quality and reliability within the lighting industry and is recognised at being at the forefront of investment into energy efficient lighting products using the latest technologies.

“It’s a great honour and opportunity to work with the Dragons with such a long and distinguished history,” said Domus Lighting Sales Director Matthew Care.

“Domus Lighting is an Australian owned and operated family business, managed by three brothers who were born and raised in the St George area.

“The Dragons have always held a special place in our heart and as passionate supporters, we wish the team every success in the future and look forward to a long and fruitful relationship.”

Dragons CEO Peter Doust has welcomed Domus Lighting as the new above-number Apparel Partner as well as the possibilities developing a long-standing association with the company.

“We are very happy to have established this new and exciting partnership which will see Domus Lighting become our new above-number Apparel Partner for at least the next two seasons,” said Doust.

“Domus Lighting is a proud locally-based company that is well recognised as one of the country’s leaders in lighting distribution and we look forward to seeing this new partnership grow over the coming years.”

https://www.domuslighting.com.au/

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/11/dragons_partner_with.html