What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL roster rater 2018: The ins and outs and how your squad stacks up

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Gains: James Graham (Bulldogs), Ben Hunt (Broncos), Jeremy Latimore (Sharks), Darren Nicholls (Panthers), Mitchell Allgood (Wakefield), Ash Nisbet (Tigers)

Losses: Josh Dugan (Sharks), Will Matthews (Widnes), Josh McCrone (Toronto), Taane Milne (Tigers), Russell Packer (Tigers), Levi Dodd (Townsville), Kalifa Faifai Loa (Townsville), Jacob Hind (Sunshine Coast), Drew Hutchison (Leigh), Yaw Kiti Glymin (not re-signed), Jake Marketo (rugby), Siliva Havili (Raiders)

Key buy: James Graham. This bloke is a leader. His addition to the roster is as equally important for what he brings on the field as what he offers off it. This is the type of personality who brings a playing group together. A leader in actions and words, the veteran forward fills the void left by the exit of Russell Packer.

MTgxMjIwMTcwfGN4by5jfGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxL2YwM2EwMmVhODkzNjRmOGQxMTY0NDg5Mzg1ZDZlOWNhfDE4MTIyMDE3MA==

James Graham of England reacts after losing to Australia.Source: AFP
The pressure: Ben Hunt. He’s the multimillion-dollar signing who warped the entire player market with one scribble of a pen on paper. After spending the best part of the season at hooker, a position which earned him a Kangaroos jersey, he moves from Brisbane to assume the role of halfback. As the marquee man, all eyes will be on the Broncos junior as he leaves Red Hill for the first time. You’d expect he’ll slog straight in and take control of the team alongside Garth Widdop.

Analysis: While Widdop will play in the halves, he showed his class at fullback while wearing the No.1 for England in the World Cup. You could make an argument for Widdop to have a greater impact on the Dragons by moving there permanently but it’s long odds to happen. With Josh Dugan’s move to Cronulla, the door is wide open for a youngster to take his place. Matt Dufty, Kurt Mann, Jai Field and 18-year-old Zac Lomax are all candidates with Dufty likely to get first crack. While Field is an attacking ace, his body mightn’t be ready for 80 minutes of weekly first grade. At least Paul McGregor has options to consider.

Roster rating: B+

MTgxMjIwMTcwfGN4by5jfGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxLzZlZDQ0ZGE1OTg3OTJiN2RmNTU1ZjQ1NDE2Mjg2YjQ2fDE4MTIyMDE3MA==
Matt Dufty and Gareth Widdop are both options to wear the No.1 jersey.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...p/news-story/4c6c6b8baf72dc7ab20f5beb2b551573

getsmarty

Immortal
2018_dragons_pre_season_week_2_darren_nicholls.jpg
2018_dragons_pre_season_week_2_darren_nicholls.jpg

CLUB NEWS

Third time's the charm for Nicholls and Hunt
Author
Jack Brady
Timestamp
Mon 18 Dec 2017, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra recruits Darren Nicholls and Ben Hunt will soon link up for their third pre-season together ahead of the 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

Nicholls and Hunt participated in the 2015 and 2016 pre-season together at the Brisbane Broncos.

Although the Holy Cross Rhinos junior played out the majority of the 2015 season with the South Sydney Rabbitohs, Nicholls and Hunt have shared many hours on the training paddock together.

Hunt is expected to report to his first official day at the Dragons in first week of January following his selection in Australia's victorious 2017 Rugby League World Cup campaign.

"I've trained with Ben over the past few years now and he’s a good bloke. I get along with him really well. I’m really looking forward to training with him again and hopefully playing alongside of him," Nicholls said.

"The way that he (Hunt) finished off the year showed he's a real running half and explosive.

"Ben led the Broncos for many years so I think he’ll do a great job down here in the 'Gong."

The 28-year-old Nicholls was also under no illusions about where he stood in the pecking order following Hunt's arrival and skipper Gareth Widdop's outstanding season.

"Obviously I’ll be behind them with them being two very good halves," Nicholls admitted.

"I'll ply my trade in the reggies (Intrust Super Premiership) to start off with. I'll work closely with them (Hunt and Widdop) and take on their style of play.

"From there, I'll hopefully be able to fill their spots whenever required."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/12/18/third-times-the-charm-for-nicholls-and-hunt/

Late in 1997, the National Rugby League formed as part of a peace deal between the ARL and Super League. Little did Dragons or Steelers fans realise, their independence was coming to a close.

During the 1998 season, the St George Dragons and the Illawarra Steelers negotiated a joint venture. The Steelers had plenty of talent but struggled financially and despite having some solid seasons they never climbed the heights of the game from their inception.

The Dragons, on the other hand, were the opposite. They had achieved what was considered impossible. They were a club that made history. Unfortunately, they were not wealthy, and though they had a junior nursery it was shrinking and continues to do so.

The two clubs saw a means to their survival. That survival required them to merge.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing. I am not a Dragons fan but thought it was a sad day for them to fold as an independent outfit. I also believed that we needed a club in the Illawarra region and so too was sad to see them disappear.

Obviously, the merger has worked to some level. The two teams share the same colours. The club splits their games between Sydney and Illawarra. They had success early making the grand final in their first season. Though it took some time, the club managed to get a title – the joint venture’s first in 2010.

However, the days have been cold since and the club has struggled financially of late. Moreover, the organisation still suffers from an identity crisis similar to that of the Wests Tigers.

The club has two homes. One in Sydney and one in the Illawarra. Moreover, it has struggled with how to incorporate its past into the future. By this I mean, we had an Illawarra team enter the NSW Cup playing with the colours of the Steelers but known as the Cutters.

The team in the 2017 season, played under the badge of St George Illawarra. Yet, the badge worn by this outfit and by the NRL team is the same as the old badge worn by the St George Dragons – with only the Illawarra wording added to the bottom.

Joel-Thompson-St-George-Illawarra-Dragons-NRL-Rugby-League-2017.jpg

(Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

What does this have to do with anything you ask? It seems that the Dragon side of the marriage refuses to accept that the wedding took place. Go to the Dragons homepage, and they claim to have won 16 titles. “So what?” scream the Dragons fans, “It’s true.”

Hmm, really? Think about it. I don’t hear the Wests Tigers fans saying they have won five or 12 (Wests Magpies four titles/ Balmain 11 titles) since they won their first title as a joint venture in 2005.

Don’t get me wrong. The St George Club was a mighty one. Formed in 1921, they were formidable opposition. The eleven straight titles will go down in history as one the greatest sporting feats ever. They were so successful the game changed the rules.

The club produced excellent players and had a huge passionate fan-base. Their 15 titles are second only to the great South Sydney club.

The Illawarra club was young. For years they had produced the talent for Sydney clubs before coming into the competition in 1982. They were not successful by any real means. They came close in the 92 and 93 seasons. Despite this, their fans although much smaller in number were equally passionate.

These two clubs would ideally be standing on their own two feet today. However, history shows us this is not the case. When they merged, they formed a new partnership, but have struggled with this ever since. Now, I get it. I’m not a St George Illawarra fan – I wasn’t a Dragon or Steeler for that fact either – so, you probably do not want to hear my suggestions.

Regardless, this is what I think could secure the club’s long-term viability.

Firstly, location: Choose a home. Personally, I would like to see all training and football operations occur out of the Illawarra region. This move doesn’t mean you have to play all of your games out of Win Stadium.

Tariq-Sims-St-George-Illawarra-Dragons-NRL-Rugby-League-2017.jpg

(AAP Image/Darren Pateman)

I recognise that the Dragons brand is massive and so still competing against the Dogs, Eels, Tigers and Souths in Sydney would draw much bigger attendances than they would in Illawarra, but I do think apart from these marquee games, stay in and make the Illawarra region your permanent home.

Secondly, club affiliation. Unless, the NRL comes out and declares a change to history, St George Illawarra was a merger and not a take-over. The club’s first season was in 1999, not 1921 or 1982. However, this does not mean we need to lose these two teams identities.

Bring back the Illawarra Steelers (playing out of Win Stadium) and the St George Dragons (playing out of Kogarah) and have them operate as feeder teams in the NSW Cup for the main outfit. Both sides would keep their original emblems, uniforms and history.

When the merged entity came into being, the new club should have developed a new crest. Before you wail in protest, I would have done this while maintaining a stronger link to both teams – not just the St George team – that currently is shown.

Finally, at board level, it would be good to see genuine independence. Board members not representing the old Dragons club or the Steelers club, but the merged club and embracing this new young club.

The merged team has failed to capitalise on its popularity. By the end of 2017, the club held 18,732 members. This number is weak considering that this club should be a giant of the sport. It needs to grow its member base; otherwise, the financial issues that have plagued the club will continue into the future.

If the club engages with its fans more, then its future will be secure. Until then, the merged club will be forever chasing the past.

Article from Roar Pro

Understand his arguments.

If we have one home, and it is at Wollongong or Kogarah, it will represent a break from the past and we will lose most of our support as a club. The game has been and remains tribalistic. If we walk away from our past I will walk away from the game.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons shore up South Coast links
Local Sport
r0_0_5472_3648_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

SIGNIFICANT STEP: St George Illawarra Peter Doust announces a historic MOU between the Dragons and the CRL. Picture: Sylvia Liber

THE Group Seven competition has long been a deep well of talent for St George Illawarra, producing the likes of Shaun Timmins, Morris twins Brett and Josh and current back-rower Tariq Sims.

The Dragons current young crop also has a strong South Coast flavour, with Shellharbour duo Jai Field and Blake Lawrie making their NRL debuts last season and Gerringong’s Reuben Garrick looking to do the same in 2018.

The Dragons moved to shore up that pipeline on Tuesday, signing a historic Memorandum of Understanding with the Country Rugby League.

It will see under 16s and under 18s sides compete in next year’s Country Championships as the Illawarra South Coast Dragons, giving players the chance to press for higher honours.

St George Illawarra CEO Peter Doust said the agreement will formalise long-held bond between the Dragons, Group Seven and the Illawarra Rugby League.

“This is a special occasion because it formalises a relationship we’ve had over many, many years,” Doust said

“The St George Illawarra Dragons have supported Group Seven for over 15 years in various forms.

“To now have a more formal relationship committing to help players, coaches and rugby league generally is a significant achievement, with everyone working on the pathway to succeed.”

The link will extend to Illawarra’s junior development sides, with 2017 grand final combatants Jono Dallas (Jamberoo) and Matt O’Brien (Kiama) to take the reins of the Steelers SG Ball squad next season.

Kiama product Timmins welcomed the move, saying it recognised the South Coast’s contribution to the joint-ventures talent stocks.

“The relationship’s been there for a long time, we’ve seen a lot of players come from Group Seven and progress through to the Steelers and the Dragons,” Timmins said.

“I’m all Group Seven, I grew up in Kiama and played there and had a couple of years at Gerringong as well so I love seeing the Group Seven boys come through.

“There’s always been that big brother thing and a bit of a perception that you have to play in the Illawarra comp to make the Dragons but it’s not really the case because we’ve seen a heap of Group Seven guys who’ve come through and played at NRL level.

“You can still see it now with guys like Jai Field, Blake Lawrie and Reuben Garrick coming through so it’s good to see that partnership with the CRL formalised.”

The Steelers junior rep sides have long featured South Coast stars but Timmins believes the new pathway will widen the net and ensure some of the region’s best talent doesn’t fly under the Dragons radar.

“If guys miss out on the Steelers they can go back and play [for Illawarra South Coast] in a similar comp and there’s still that pathway there if they prove themselves and play well,” he said.

“It’s win-win situation for both and presents a good pathway for rugby league players to reach the NRL if that’s their dream.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5131130/dragons-strengthen-close-south-coast-ties/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Sims looks to family for preseason inspiration
Local Sport
r0_0_3895_2597_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

SWEATING IT OUT: Dragons forward Tariq Sims. Picture: Adam McLean

DRAGONS hardman Tariq Sims hasn’t had to look far for inspiration this preseason after watching the exploits of older siblings Ruan and Ashton at the recent World Cup.

Ruan, the eldest of the Gerringong-raised Sims clan, led the Jillaroos to their second World Cup triumph while Ashton was a key cog in the Fijian side that upset New Zealand 8-4 in the quarter finals.

As a man who has the words ‘Family is Everything’ tattooed on his stomach, Sims said he rode every moment of both campaigns.

“It was unreal to watch Ashton run around for Fiji,” Sims, himself a former Fijian International, said.

“Doing what he’s doing at his age now and how long he’s been doing it, it’s a testament to the sort of bloke he is.

“The way that, not just himself, but Fiji attacked New Zealand that night was pretty inspirational.

“I know there’s only the little island of Fiji but there’s a lot of fans that they won over outside the Fijian people.

“On the other side of things, it was great my sister Ruan got the job done with the Jillaroos. She was great and led from the front and did the job she needed to do.

“She ended up getting a few meat pies [tries] throughout the tournament and they were lucky enough to come away with the win.”

Having watched her toil away through self-funded international tours and playing at empty suburban grounds, Sims said he was glad to see his sister and her teammates getting long-overdue recognition.

“She’s done all that hard stuff, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if you told me she’d been out there raising money selling lemonade,” Sims said.

“They’ve come a long way since she started out and it’s great for the game. I think she’s helped grow the game and definitely put the jersey in a better position than when she picked it up.

I think Ruan's helped grow the game and definitely put the jersey in a better position than when she picked it up.

Tariq Sims
“As a player that represents someone or something, that's always a goal of yours to do. Watching the way Ruan’s gone about it, I know they’re just as professional as us so it’s wonderful to see.”

Sims has mirrored that leadership role in his second preseason with the Dragons, particularly with World Cup contingent Gareth Widdop, Tyson Frizell and new recruits Ben Hunt and James Graham absent until January.

“It’s a role the older boys definitely don’t take for granted,” Sims said.

“We’re always here to help develop the young guys as players and we need to lead by example all the time and not sometimes. It’s something I enjoy doing and plan to take forward throughout the year.

“We’ve obviously some quality players coming in but we’ve got a lot of players getting their second and third preseason under their belt and that’s going to be great for them in the long run.

“We’ve developed some local juniors who have taken massive steps forward this year so it’s definitely exciting times for the club.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5131853/sims-inspired-by-siblings-world-cup-triumph/?cs=302

Drag Queen

Bench
Sims looks to family for preseason inspiration
Local Sport
r0_0_3895_2597_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

SWEATING IT OUT: Dragons forward Tariq Sims. Picture: Adam McLean

DRAGONS hardman Tariq Sims hasn’t had to look far for inspiration this preseason after watching the exploits of older siblings Ruan and Ashton at the recent World Cup.

Ruan, the eldest of the Gerringong-raised Sims clan, led the Jillaroos to their second World Cup triumph while Ashton was a key cog in the Fijian side that upset New Zealand 8-4 in the quarter finals.

As a man who has the words ‘Family is Everything’ tattooed on his stomach, Sims said he rode every moment of both campaigns.

“It was unreal to watch Ashton run around for Fiji,” Sims, himself a former Fijian International, said.

“Doing what he’s doing at his age now and how long he’s been doing it, it’s a testament to the sort of bloke he is.

“The way that, not just himself, but Fiji attacked New Zealand that night was pretty inspirational.

“I know there’s only the little island of Fiji but there’s a lot of fans that they won over outside the Fijian people.

“On the other side of things, it was great my sister Ruan got the job done with the Jillaroos. She was great and led from the front and did the job she needed to do.

“She ended up getting a few meat pies [tries] throughout the tournament and they were lucky enough to come away with the win.”

Having watched her toil away through self-funded international tours and playing at empty suburban grounds, Sims said he was glad to see his sister and her teammates getting long-overdue recognition.

“She’s done all that hard stuff, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if you told me she’d been out there raising money selling lemonade,” Sims said.

“They’ve come a long way since she started out and it’s great for the game. I think she’s helped grow the game and definitely put the jersey in a better position than when she picked it up.

I think Ruan's helped grow the game and definitely put the jersey in a better position than when she picked it up.

Tariq Sims
“As a player that represents someone or something, that's always a goal of yours to do. Watching the way Ruan’s gone about it, I know they’re just as professional as us so it’s wonderful to see.”

Sims has mirrored that leadership role in his second preseason with the Dragons, particularly with World Cup contingent Gareth Widdop, Tyson Frizell and new recruits Ben Hunt and James Graham absent until January.

“It’s a role the older boys definitely don’t take for granted,” Sims said.

“We’re always here to help develop the young guys as players and we need to lead by example all the time and not sometimes. It’s something I enjoy doing and plan to take forward throughout the year.

“We’ve obviously some quality players coming in but we’ve got a lot of players getting their second and third preseason under their belt and that’s going to be great for them in the long run.

“We’ve developed some local juniors who have taken massive steps forward this year so it’s definitely exciting times for the club.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5131853/sims-inspired-by-siblings-world-cup-triumph/?cs=302
Have to say the Sims quartet are quite inspirational. I didn't know that Ruan was the eldest of this family. Kudos to the big sister.

getsmarty

Immortal
2018_dragons_pre_season_week_6_steve_marsters.jpg

CLUB NEWS

Marsters of None
Author
Jack Brady
Timestamp
Wed 20 Dec 2017, 02:00 PM

St George Illawarra fullback Steven Marsters' complex sporting pedigree has helped position him in the Dragons' full-time training squad for at least the next two seasons.

Other than his cousin, Wests Tigers young gun Esan, Marsters has plenty of knowledge to rely on in the form of his extended family.

Marsters' mum was a gun tennis player while his dad kept it in the family with his rugby league prowess. The 18-year-old's nan was a sprinter, and his grandad was a long distance runner.

As Marsters' describes it, his family's sporting history "is a bit all over the place".

Thankfully his parents opted for rugby league, first at the Mt Wellington Warriors before they made the move over to Australia.

"I had no clue about rugby league until my dad introduced it to me. He opened up my eyes to a different world and I've loved it ever since," Marsters said.

"I was five when I first started and have only had a year off since. I thank my mum and dad for that. They have got me to where I am so I’m very thankful for that."

Cousin Esan remains another inspiration for Marsters following the Tiger's first grade debuting season which saw him rack up 13 NRL games.

"Esan's has taught me everything which is good because I'm obviously following him," Marsters said.

"I’ve seen him play NRL and my dream is to follow in his footsteps. But obviously I still have a long way [to go]."

Almost halfway through his first NRL pre-season, Marsters admitted he's had to keep grounded while he's running around with seasoned first graders.

He's also grateful to have fellow Under-20s players Zac Lomax, Tristan Sailor and Jackson Ford partake in their first pre-season too.

"It's been unreal," Marsters said. "It's always been a dream to play with these fellas. They have always been my idols and I have always looked up to them.

"They have been good to me at training and have pushed me through all the hard times. Jack De Belin, Tariq Sim and Patrick Herbert have motivated me to be my best.

"Coming up with Tristin and Zac has been pretty cool too," he added. "They are all good players and being alongside them has been good. I’m pretty happy where I am at."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/12/20/marsters-of-none/

getsmarty

Immortal
Leilua re-signs with the Red V
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 21 Dec 2017, 09:00 AM

St George Illawarra have announced that Dragons back-rower Luciano Leilua has extended his stay with the club for a further two seasons.

Leilua, who was off-contract at the end of 2018, will now remain at the Dragons until at least the end of the 2020 Telstra Premiership season.

The Hurstville United local junior made his NRL debut in 2016 and in 2017 earned Illawarra RLFC's Intrust Super Premiership Player of the Year award.

"Luciano is a player who has come through all of our junior ranks and we believe he's one of the most skilful player in our Top 30. Luciano is very important to us with his size and athleticism," Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward said.

"2017 has been a real education year for Luciano. He was in a position where he had to learn the demands of playing outside the Under-20s and full-time training, and we really believe he's grown as a person as a result.

"His training this pre-season has been outstanding. There's been a complete physical and mental change about the way he goes about his business. We really believe 2018 is going to be a super year for Luciano."

While the 21-year-old didn't feature in first grade in 2017, he has four NRL games to his name and was excited to build on that next year.

"I'm very excited to remain with my junior club. I'm really stoked to be here and it means the world to re-sign," Leilua said.

"2017 was a rollercoaster year for me. I learnt a lot off the big boys while I continued learning my trade in the ISP. I wanted to return to pre-season training in good shape so I could give myself the best opportunity to play in the NRL in 2018."

The re-signing of Leilua is another boost for Red V following the signings of Hunt, James Graham, Jeremy Latimore, Mitch Allgood and Darren Nicholls for the upcoming season.

It the follows the likes of Gareth Widdop, Euan Aitken, Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan, Tim Lafai, Kurt Mann, Jason Nightingale, Jai Field, Jacob Host, Blake Lawrie and Cameron McInnes who have extended their deals with the Dragons over the past 12 months.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/12/21/leilua-re-signs-with-the-red-v/

getsmarty

Immortal
Leilua extends Dragons contract until 2020
Local Sport
r0_31_3454_1981_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Extension: Dragons forward Luciano Leilua will remain with the side until the end of 2020 after extending his contract for a further two years. Picture: Georgia Matts.

Emerging St George Illawarra junior Luciano Leilua is looking forward to securing a spot in the club’s NRL side after signing a two-year contract extension.

The Dragons 2016 Holden Cup Player of the Year made his NRL debut in 2016 but was unable to add to his four caps in 2017. Despite this, he was named Illawarra Player of the Year after an exceptional NSW Premiership season.

“I’m excited to stay at the club until 2020,” Leilua said. “I’m grateful the club re-signed me, I’m enjoying my time here and looking forward to getting stuck into 2018.

“I’ve had a good preseason at the moment, I’ve come back in good shape and just got to try to stay in shape and give myself the best opportunity to play the full 80 minutes.”

Dragons recruitment manager Ian Millward said the 21-year-old has a promising future ahead of him.

"His training this preseason has been outstanding,” Millward said. “There's been a complete physical and mental change about the way he goes about his business. We really believe 2018 is going to be a super year for Luciano."

Luciano hopes to one day follow in brother Joey Leilua’s footsteps and represent Samoa, however he is keeping his focus on playing for the Dragons in 2018.

“Playing for Samoa is probably next year’s goal,” Leilua said. “My goal for now is preseason and getting myself into the best shape to get 2018 rolling. Through the offseason we’ve been working together, I’ve been trying to get some skills off Joey, trying to learn off him.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5136113/leilua-extends-dragons-stint/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons grant Thompson release
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 22 Dec 2017, 10:30 AM

St George Illawarra have today granted Joel Thompson a release from the final season of his Dragons playing contract.

Thompson and his management requested the early release to seek long-term security for he and his family in the NRL.

Thompson's release has now enabled him to take up a multi-year deal at another NRL club ahead of the 2018 Telstra Premiership season.

"Joel and his management approached us about the long-term future he had at the Dragons. It was apparent Joel was looking to secure a long-term contract for his family beyond 2018," Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward said.

"We wanted Joel as part of our Top 30 this season so obviously we had a big decision to make. We said all along that we didn't want him to leave but we did respect what he was doing for his family long-term which is why we hesitantly granted him that permission.

"However we're very confident – with Tyson Frizell, Tariq Sims, Luciano Leilua and Jacob Host – that we have the depth in the back row to replace Joel."

The 29-year-old played 85 NRL games for the Dragons over the past four seasons, and said he was grateful for the club's understanding in granting him his requested release.

"It's an emotional day leaving this great club. But with three girls and a young family I had to make that decision [to request a release]," Thompson said.

"It's going to be really tough leaving the staff, the players and the fans. Everyone has been unbelievable to me and I can't thank them enough.

"I've not only grown as a footballer but as a person at the Dragons. Everyone has helped me so much and I couldn't be more grateful and thankful for what they've done for me.

"Thank you to the Red V Members and fans for all the support you've given me over the years. I encourage you to get behind this great team. They have plenty of potential and are going to play some really good football," Thompson added.

"That was another part of my decision, I believe the young guys coming through now will step up, make that role their own and take this club to where it deserves to be."

Millward said the Dragons will now look to fill the void left by Thompson in the club's Top 30 squad.

"We won't be going into the marketplace for a back-rower due to the adequate depth there. But there's plenty of time to work out what position we'll look at," Millward said.

"Something that comes to mind is an outside back. We think we may need a little bolstering there. But we'll take our time, view what's out there and eventually replace Joel – just not with a back-rower."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/12/22/dragons-grant-thompson-release/