What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Breakout 2016 just the beginning for Frizell

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

25 Jan 2017, 3:09 p.m.
r0_265_5184_3203_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STEPPING UP: Test and Origin back-rower Tyson Frizell will captain the Dragons for the first time at the Auckland Nines. Picture: Sylvia Liber

STAR Dragons back-rower Tyson Frizell says not much will change in his on-field approach when he captains the club for the first time at next week’s Auckland Nines, as his stocks continue to rise on the back of a breakout 2016 season.

The 25-year-old wrecking ball was named with the ‘c’ next to his name when coach Paul McGregor unveiled his 18-man squad for the tournament on Wednesday with Joel Thompson, Jack de Belin and Tariq Sims the the other veterans in what is a predominantly youthful squad.

It follows a hugely successful season on the personal front for the Corrimal product that saw him make impressive State of Origin and Test debuts and establish himself as one of the game’s most damaging forwards.

The captaincy honour is likely to be a one-off for 2017 but it is indicative of the leadership role McGregor will demand of his only incumbent Test forward this season.

“It’s pretty special to be able to captain the club in any kind of game,” Frizell said.

“I know it’s only the Nines but being the given the role to captain the boys is a pretty big honour for myself.

“We do have a pretty young squad, there’s only a couple of guys over 25, and having played at the club for a while now you do see yourself in that kind of leadership role.

“Things won't change too much in the way I approach my footy and the way I am around the boys but wherever I can help as best I can going through the year, giving my input her and there, I will.

“It’s hopefully going to be a different kind of year [to 2016] for us this year and if I can put my best foot forward I’m sure it’s going to help the team.”

Frizell has not long returned from the Kangaroos successful Four Nations campaign in the UK and admits he hasn’t had long to reflect on a whirlwind 2016.

“It’s all gone pretty quick now we’re already coming into the start of the 2017 season,” Frizell said.

“I got a small opportunity to play in the NSW team and then it all built from there. I was there for a while waiting for my turn and then I finally got my opportunity and in those situations you want to make the most of what you’ve got and I thought I was able to do that.

“It’s probably something you look back on more when you finish because things have happened so fast but it was a very memorable year for myself to play in the teams that I did.”

Frizell’s personal fortunes came in stark contrast to the Dragons forgettable 2016 campaign but, having signed a three-year contract extension with the club in September, he won’t be resting on his laurels this season.

“I’m definitely glad it’s out of the way but it wasn’t something I wanted to do to be comfortable,” Frizell said.

“It was something I wanted to do to be at the club long-term and hopefully make a change in what I see the club doing in the future as well.

“I’m looking to build on the ‘16 season and not just look back on it as a good year for myself. Hopefully I can bring that into 2017 so we can perform as a team and really build something here at the Dragons.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4426681/frizell-ready-to-step-up-and-lead-at-nines/?cs=3713

Old Timer

Coach
Just been doing a bit of research and came across the following article which whilst it doesn't relate to today it does have pertinence as to how great some players truly are and how great the good St G sides were.

Of particular note is the fact that during the great run the winning % was 82% and they averaged 23 points a game when tries were only worth 3 points. The mention of a crowd of 30,500 at a game at Henson Park V Wests is quite incredible as well.

LINK: http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/05/13/reg-gasnier-great-ones-greatest-games/

"Reg Gasnier passed away on Sunday. He was 74. Gasnier was the greatest centre of his generation.

When he retired, at the relatively young age of 28, he had won seven premierships and scored 125 tries in 127 games for St George, 15 tries in 16 games for New South Wales and 26 tries in 39 games for Australia.

Former ARL chairman Bill Buckley once said, “In his day, he was the greatest rugby league player I have ever seen. Gasnier had an amazing change of pace and great anticipation. He was also particularly unselfish. He was without peer.”

Gasnier produced so many great performances, but which ones were his best?

May 24, 1959: St George: 47 v Western Suburbs: 17
In front of 30,500 fans at Henson Park, rookie Reg Gasnier completely outplayed Harry Wells, the incumbent Test centre and premiership winning player. Gasnier scored four tries, a feat he would achieve four times in his career.

Gasnier scored two of his tries over 75-yards and 45-yards as St George posted a record score against Wests. Wells and Gasnier would later play 12 Tests together for Australia.

June 28, 1959: Australia: 38 v New Zealand: 10
Australia sneaked home in the first Test by 9-8, despite being outscored two tries to one. The second Test was played at the Brisbane Exhibition Ground and Australia produced a fabulous performance to win by a record score. Australia would improve upon the margin in 1995 when they beat New Zealand 46-10.

Gasnier and Ian Moir scored three tries each as Australia’s speed on the flanks left New Zealand is disarray.

New Zealand won the third Test by 28-12 and Gasnier scored two tries. Ian Moir scored 119 tries in 138 first grade games, including a hat-trick in the 1953 Grand Final for Souths against St George!

August 1, 1959: St George: 35 v Western Suburbs: 25
In front of 42,347 fans at the SCG, 20-year-old Gasnier played a starring role in propelling St George into the Grand Final. In the first half, he beat the first line of defence and sent Eddie Lumsden on a 40-yard sprint to the try line. Gasnier then scored from halfway to tie the scores 15-all at the break.

In the second-half, Gasnier scored his second try and was involved in a try scored by Johnny Riley that was described by the Sunday Mirror’s Jim Mathers as “champagne football.”

St George beat Manly 20-0 in the Grand Final a fortnight later. Eddie Lumsden scored three tries and St George completed the season unbeaten. They scored 135 tries in 20 games! Gasnier scored 13 tries in 12 games during the 1959 season. Eddie Lumsden scored 137 tries in 162 games during his stellar career.

October 17, 1959: Australia: 22 v Great Britain: 14
It had been 30 years since Australia had won the opening test in England, but in his Ashes debut Gasnier dazzled by scoring a hat-trick at Swinton’s Station Road. However the try he laid on for winger Brian Carlson in that same match was described by former Australian forward Arthur Clues as the best try he had ever seen!

Unfortunately Australia didn’t win the series, losing the next two Tests by narrow margins. However, that didn’t stop Gasnier’s brilliance. He created a try for Carlson late in the second Test which Carlson failed to convert, Australia lost by one point! In the third test Gasnier dashed from his own 25-yard line to create another try for Carlson.

August 6, 1960: St George: 13 v Balmain: 9
The 1960 NSWRL premiership season was one of the closest on record. St George won the minor premiership by three games, but four teams were tied for second place, requiring a playoff to split them.

Roaring Recommendations
In wet, cold conditions at the SCG, Balman – one of the four teams eventually involved in the playoff – could have avoided it altogether by beating St George in the last round, something they were on target to achieve when leading 4-0 at halftime.

However, Gasnier scored three second-half tries with great positioning, acceleration and hands as St George won an often dour contest by four points.

September 3, 1960: St George: 31 v Eastern Suburbs: 6
In his first grand final Gainer was a standout. He scored two of the Dragons seven tries. In the first-half Gasnier scored one of the most memorable tries in Grand Final history when halfback Brian Clay sent Gasnier on a breathtaking 50-yard dash to line.

The 1960 Grand Final was the biggest win St George enjoyed in their sequence of 11 premierships in row between 1956 and 1966. In that period the Dragons won 183 out of 222 games and scored 5,109 points!

September 1, 1962: St George: 30 v Newtown: 9
Newtown had beaten St George in their previous meeting, but in the semi-final, Gasnier ensured no repeat by scoring three tries. Gasnier created the first try for Johnny King (143 tries in 191 games) before scoring himself after a 70-yard burst. Gasnier beat several defenders while scoring his second try.

In the Grand Final St George beat Western Suburbs, 9-6.

July 2, 1963: St George: 22 v New Zealand: 7
The Daily Mirror wrote, “A crowd of 19,160 saw Reg Gasnier do things that history records the legendary Dally Messenger as having done in the early days of league.”

Gasnier scored three tires and kicked five goals as St George became the first Sydney team to defeat an international touring team. The Kiwis led 7-4 at halftime! Johnny King scored a try on his 21st birthday.

August 17, 1963: St George: 12 v Parramatta: 7
Gasnier’s two tries propelled St George into the Grand Final. He scored a try, running 25 yards up the touchline in the first half, but his second try when the scores were tied 7-all was crucial. With four minutes to go, Gasnier side-stepped past several tired defenders to prove his match-winning prowess again.

November 9, 1963: Australia: 50 v Great Britain: 12
The ‘Swinton Massacre’ saw Australia become the first Kangaroos team in ten attempts to capture the Ashes in England. Australia scored 12 tries in arguably the greatest performance by any Australia side.

Gasnier scored a try, Ken Irvine bagged three and Graham Langlands scored a record 20 points. Australia won the first match of a three test series by 28-2, as Gasnier scored two tries.

The following year Gasnier was captain of the first Australian team to defeat France in a home series. He scored a hat-trick in the second of the three Tests.

August 3, 1964: St George: 26 v Manly: 2
Gasnier scored a hat-trick in this Round 15 clash to bring up a century of tries in 86 games! Only Harold Horder, who scored 152 tries in 127 games, accomplished that feat quicker.

Gasnier scored the only tries of the second half, while his first score was a dramatic effort which featured a sudden change of direction to fool the Manly defence.

In the next three seasons Gasnier struggled with injures and only played 21 games."

emu62

Juniors
Just been doing a bit of research and came across the following article which whilst it doesn't relate to today it does have pertinence as to how great some players truly are and how great the good St G sides were.

Of particular note is the fact that during the great run the winning % was 82% and they averaged 23 points a game when tries were only worth 3 points. The mention of a crowd of 30,500 at a game at Henson Park V Wests is quite incredible as well.

"Reg Gasnier passed away on Sunday. He was 74. Gasnier was the greatest centre of his generation.

When he retired, at the relatively young age of 28, he had won seven premierships and scored 125 tries in 127 games for St George, 15 tries in 16 games for New South Wales and 26 tries in 39 games for Australia.

Former ARL chairman Bill Buckley once said, “In his day, he was the greatest rugby league player I have ever seen. Gasnier had an amazing change of pace and great anticipation. He was also particularly unselfish. He was without peer.”

Gasnier produced so many great performances, but which ones were his best?

May 24, 1959: St George: 47 v Western Suburbs: 17
In front of 30,500 fans at Henson Park, rookie Reg Gasnier completely outplayed Harry Wells, the incumbent Test centre and premiership winning player. Gasnier scored four tries, a feat he would achieve four times in his career.

Gasnier scored two of his tries over 75-yards and 45-yards as St George posted a record score against Wests. Wells and Gasnier would later play 12 Tests together for Australia.

June 28, 1959: Australia: 38 v New Zealand: 10
Australia sneaked home in the first Test by 9-8, despite being outscored two tries to one. The second Test was played at the Brisbane Exhibition Ground and Australia produced a fabulous performance to win by a record score. Australia would improve upon the margin in 1995 when they beat New Zealand 46-10.

Gasnier and Ian Moir scored three tries each as Australia’s speed on the flanks left New Zealand is disarray.

New Zealand won the third Test by 28-12 and Gasnier scored two tries. Ian Moir scored 119 tries in 138 first grade games, including a hat-trick in the 1953 Grand Final for Souths against St George!

August 1, 1959: St George: 35 v Western Suburbs: 25
In front of 42,347 fans at the SCG, 20-year-old Gasnier played a starring role in propelling St George into the Grand Final. In the first half, he beat the first line of defence and sent Eddie Lumsden on a 40-yard sprint to the try line. Gasnier then scored from halfway to tie the scores 15-all at the break.

In the second-half, Gasnier scored his second try and was involved in a try scored by Johnny Riley that was described by the Sunday Mirror’s Jim Mathers as “champagne football.”

St George beat Manly 20-0 in the Grand Final a fortnight later. Eddie Lumsden scored three tries and St George completed the season unbeaten. They scored 135 tries in 20 games! Gasnier scored 13 tries in 12 games during the 1959 season. Eddie Lumsden scored 137 tries in 162 games during his stellar career.

October 17, 1959: Australia: 22 v Great Britain: 14
It had been 30 years since Australia had won the opening test in England, but in his Ashes debut Gasnier dazzled by scoring a hat-trick at Swinton’s Station Road. However the try he laid on for winger Brian Carlson in that same match was described by former Australian forward Arthur Clues as the best try he had ever seen!

Unfortunately Australia didn’t win the series, losing the next two Tests by narrow margins. However, that didn’t stop Gasnier’s brilliance. He created a try for Carlson late in the second Test which Carlson failed to convert, Australia lost by one point! In the third test Gasnier dashed from his own 25-yard line to create another try for Carlson.

August 6, 1960: St George: 13 v Balmain: 9
The 1960 NSWRL premiership season was one of the closest on record. St George won the minor premiership by three games, but four teams were tied for second place, requiring a playoff to split them.

Roaring Recommendations
In wet, cold conditions at the SCG, Balman – one of the four teams eventually involved in the playoff – could have avoided it altogether by beating St George in the last round, something they were on target to achieve when leading 4-0 at halftime.

However, Gasnier scored three second-half tries with great positioning, acceleration and hands as St George won an often dour contest by four points.

September 3, 1960: St George: 31 v Eastern Suburbs: 6
In his first grand final Gainer was a standout. He scored two of the Dragons seven tries. In the first-half Gasnier scored one of the most memorable tries in Grand Final history when halfback Brian Clay sent Gasnier on a breathtaking 50-yard dash to line.

The 1960 Grand Final was the biggest win St George enjoyed in their sequence of 11 premierships in row between 1956 and 1966. In that period the Dragons won 183 out of 222 games and scored 5,109 points!

September 1, 1962: St George: 30 v Newtown: 9
Newtown had beaten St George in their previous meeting, but in the semi-final, Gasnier ensured no repeat by scoring three tries. Gasnier created the first try for Johnny King (143 tries in 191 games) before scoring himself after a 70-yard burst. Gasnier beat several defenders while scoring his second try.

In the Grand Final St George beat Western Suburbs, 9-6.

July 2, 1963: St George: 22 v New Zealand: 7
The Daily Mirror wrote, “A crowd of 19,160 saw Reg Gasnier do things that history records the legendary Dally Messenger as having done in the early days of league.”

Gasnier scored three tires and kicked five goals as St George became the first Sydney team to defeat an international touring team. The Kiwis led 7-4 at halftime! Johnny King scored a try on his 21st birthday.

August 17, 1963: St George: 12 v Parramatta: 7
Gasnier’s two tries propelled St George into the Grand Final. He scored a try, running 25 yards up the touchline in the first half, but his second try when the scores were tied 7-all was crucial. With four minutes to go, Gasnier side-stepped past several tired defenders to prove his match-winning prowess again.

November 9, 1963: Australia: 50 v Great Britain: 12
The ‘Swinton Massacre’ saw Australia become the first Kangaroos team in ten attempts to capture the Ashes in England. Australia scored 12 tries in arguably the greatest performance by any Australia side.

Gasnier scored a try, Ken Irvine bagged three and Graham Langlands scored a record 20 points. Australia won the first match of a three test series by 28-2, as Gasnier scored two tries.

The following year Gasnier was captain of the first Australian team to defeat France in a home series. He scored a hat-trick in the second of the three Tests.

August 3, 1964: St George: 26 v Manly: 2
Gasnier scored a hat-trick in this Round 15 clash to bring up a century of tries in 86 games! Only Harold Horder, who scored 152 tries in 127 games, accomplished that feat quicker.

Gasnier scored the only tries of the second half, while his first score was a dramatic effort which featured a sudden change of direction to fool the Manly defence.

In the next three seasons Gasnier struggled with injures and only played 21 games."

Link: http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/05/13/reg-gasnier-great-ones-greatest-games/

Gasnier - a true champion., on & off the field

Gasnier - a true champion., on & off the field

Always loved him as an ABC commentator

He would analyse our match before kickoff and irrespective of how bad we were going would always finish his "objective analysis" when asked what the result would be with StGeorge to win !

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor: A Mixture Of Youth And Experience
Thu 26th January, 11:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has spoken about the Dragons' 18-man squad for the 2017 NRL Auckland Nines at Eden Park on February 3 and 4.

McGregor discusses the mixture of youth and experience within his Nines squad, his expectations of Tyson Frizell as captain, the Dragons' All Stars representatives and if he contemplated a Ruben Wiki-esque comeback.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/26/mcgregor_a_mixture_o.html

Old Timer

Coach
Always loved him as an ABC commentator

He would analyse our match before kickoff and irrespective of how bad we were going would always finish his "objective analysis" when asked what the result would be with StGeorge to win !

Great Post SF as soon as I read it I could here his voice.

Headphones on and sometimes atop the ABC outside broadcasting van in rain, hail or shine those were the days

John O'Reilly, Reg Gasnier, Allan Marks the voices of the day for the rugby league on the ABC.

Interestingly Trevor "Tubby" Allan who worked with Reg M-F did the rugby union with Nugget May and Gordon Bray.

Reg worked with Renown & Pearlite in the plastics industry and that company had a plethora of sportsman working for them in every state.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dodd: Unexpected Call Up
Fri 27th January, 05:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra centre Levi Dodd has opened up about his selection in the Dragons' Auckland Nines squad to be played at Eden Park on February 4 and 5.

Dodd also discusses how the Illawarra Cutters' successes of 2016 has translated to the first grade pre-season, his recovery from a training mishap and how he is fitting in at the club.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/27/dodd_.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Herbert Achieves Nines Goal
Sun 29th January, 12:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra utility Patrick Herbert is already ticking boxes in 2017 after being named in the Dragons' 18-man Auckland Nines squad.

Herbert said the Nines was a goal set out for him by Dragons coach Paul McGregor at the beginning of the pre-season.

The Junior Kiwis representative also discussed how is fellow NYC teammates are progressing and his recent mishap with an oyster.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/29/herbert_achieves_nin.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Matthews: Ready To Rumble
Mon 30th January, 02:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra back-rower Will Matthews is ready for rugby league to kick-off again for 2017 after being named in the Dragons' 18-man NRL Auckland Nines squad last week.

Matthews was hopeful of stringing a few good performances together – despite the Nines being a different format to the NRL – in hope of securing a first grade opportunity in the coming weeks.

Matthews was also excited to play alongside some of the Dragons' rookie stars at Eden Park on February 4 and 5.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/01/30/matthews_ready_to_ru.af_news.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Field emerges as Dragons bolter to partner Widdop

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

31 Jan 2017, 12:59 p.m.

SHELLHARBOUR’S Jai Field has emerged as a shock front-runner to partner Gareth Widdop in the halves, with Dragons fans to have their first look at his electrifying speed at the Auckland Nines.

Field has been a standout during the preseason, to move from fringe squad member to genuine contender to make his NRL debut in round one, against Penrith at Kogarah on March 4.

Experienced teammate Tariq Sims offered his praises of Field, declaring he could be the spark the Dragons need to be a finals force this year.

r0_96_3937_2309_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

RUNAWAY SUCCESS: Jai Field. Picture: Adam McLean

“He’s got a pretty extraordinary opportunity,” Sims said. “The way he plays, he’s so elusive.

“He’s just got to make sure he stays on top of his body weight, as his body shape is adjusting to cope with the physical side of first grade, week in, week out.

“Just his leadership, from day one of preseason, he’s not afraid to pipe up and tell you where to go, which is definitely one of the most important parts of the role.”

The halfback selection is the biggest decision coach Paul McGregor will make for round one, after Benji Marshall left the club and Drew Hutchison suffered an anterior cruciate ligament knee injury when he had a clear path to becoming his replacement.

The versatile Kurt Mann, experienced Josh McCrone and talented Shaun Nona remain in contention, but Dragons teammates admit being stunned by Field’s development as a player.

Field was the quickest player in the squad over 40 metres during testing and Group Seven and Shellharbour players and supporters will know about his electrifying ability all too well.

r927_27_2960_1267_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

OFFLOAD: Forward Tariq Sims looks to pass against Cronulla last season. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty Images

“It’s ridiculous how fast he is,” prop Paul Vaughan, recruited from the Raiders, said.

“He’s 75-80 kilograms, he’s a quick as the wind and he’s got a bright future ahead of him.”

After playing with the Illawarra Steelers SG Ball team, Field went on to be the National Youth Cup player of the year runner-up in a Dragons team which made it to the preliminary final last season.

The Dragons meet Parramatta in their first Auckland Nines game at 12.25pm on Saturday, before playing Manly and the Warriors.

It’s ridiculous how fast he is. - Paul Vaughan on Jai Field

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-as-dragons-bolter-to-partner-widdop/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Vaughan has points to prove at the Dragons

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

1 Feb 2017, 5 a.m.
r0_139_4175_2663_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

UNSTOPPABLE: Paul Vaughan makes a break for Canberra against Penrith last year. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

PAUL Vaughan was the battering ram for the NRL’s best attacking team last year.

So potent were the Raiders as a scoring force, they piled on more than twice as many points as his new club St George Illawarra.

But Vaughan refuses to believe the Dragons have little to offer when hunting tries this year, even as the halfback situation remains unresolved.

After three months in Wollongong slogging it out in the preseason, Vaughan is adamant St George Illawarra can be a premiership force.

“A lot has been said about the attack here, but I think the attack’s unreal,” he said after training on Tuesday.

“We’ve got a great forward pack and I think the backs, running off the forward pack, are unreal. It’s a dangerous team and the forwards pose a threat themselves, with guys like Friz (Tyson Frizell), JT (Joel Thompson and (Jack) de Belin.

“I don’t think we’ll have a problem scoring points this year.”

The Raiders marched to second on the NRL ladder last year, scoring a staggering 688 points in 24 games, a record more than 100 points better than eventual premiers Cronulla.

In contrast, the Dragons have been under fire from their own fan base for their lack of scoring ability, managing just 341 in 2016.

Having splashed out $6 million to sign Broncos halfback Ben Hunt, who arrives next year, supporters hold significant doubts about their ability to turn it around this season.

Their first chance to show renewed strike with the Steeden comes at this weekend’s Auckland Nines, when they tackle Parramatta, Manly and the Warriors in their pool games. Forward Tariq Sims, who shifted from Newcastle to Wollongong in the middle of last year, accepts the criticism was warranted and is using it as motivation.

“St George is a massive brand in itself,” he said.

“We demand perfection and our fans demand perfection and they deserve perfection. All that we can do is prepare the best we can and make sure we deliver when we need to deliver. Our fans deserve the best.”

Winger Nene MacDonald missed training on Tuesday because of a virus, but is expected to still make the trip to New Zealand.

• AUCKLAND NINES
Eden Park

Piha Group: Dragons, Eels, Sea Eagles, Warriors

Saturday: (12.25pm) Dragons v Eels, (4.45pm) Dragons v Sea Eagles); Sunday: (11.50am) Dragons v Warriors.

TV: Live on Fox Sports 2.

Dragons squad: Patrick Herbert, Nene Macdonald, Euan Aitken, Levi Dodd, Kalifa Faifai Loa, Kurt Mann, Siliva Havili, Cameron McInnes, Luciano Leilua, Tyson Frizell c, Joel Thompson, Jack de Belin, Tariq Sims, Taane Milne, Shaun Nona, Will Matthews, Matt Dufty, Jai Field.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4437840/vaughan-has-points-to-prove-at-the-dragons/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Cutters Team List: Trial v Blacktown Sea Eagles
Wed 1st February, 05:00PM
A A

1485929379986.jpg

Illawarra Cutters Head Coach Mat Head has named his team for the upcoming trial fixture against Blacktown Sea Eagles at Ron Costello Oval, Shellharbour on Saturday.

With no members from the NRL squad available for this fixture the Illawarra Cutters have bolstered their ranks with some talented youngsters from our NYC squad.

This will be the first hit out for the Illawarra Cutters who won the Intrust Super Premiership and State Championship last season. Entry to this fixture is free of charge with kick off scheduled for 6.30pm.

Cutters v Blacktown Sea Eagles

Date: Saturday, February 4

Time: 6.30pm
Venue: Ron Costello Oval, Shellharbour

1. Israel Seaufale (NYC)
2. Rob Buaserau
3. Keelyn Tuuta-Edwards
4. Vinnie Tikeri (NYC)
5. Izaac Thompson
6. Joey Lovodua (NYC)
7. Tristan Sailor (NYC)
8. Rhys Kennedy
9. Nathan Ford
10. TJ Uele
11. Jack Noble
12. Jesse Dee
13. Blake Phillips
14. Addison Demeterou
15. Stuart Mason (NYC)
16. Max Bailey (NYC)
17. Cooper Purcell (NYC)

getsmarty

Immortal
Thompson Excited For Fortnight Ahead
Thu 2nd February, 10:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons back-rower Joel Thompson has discussed his huge upcoming fortnight at the Auckland Nines and with the NRL Indigenous All Stars team.

The six-time Indigenous All Star spoke of the importance of the upcoming fixture scheduled to take place at Newcastle's McDonald Jones Stadium on February 10.

Thompson also revealed he'll play a different position than usual against upcoming Nines opponents in the Warriors, Parramatta and Manly.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/02/02/thompson_excited_for.html

Drakon

Juniors
http://www.nrl.com/mcgregor-mulls-b...ookies/tabid/10874/newsid/103421/default.aspx

McGregor mulls blooding exciting Dragons rookies
Fri 03 Feb, 2017, 7:00am
By Chris Kennedy ‌, National Correspondent , NRL.com
EMAIL
PRINT

image.ashx

Young Dragons playmaker Jai Field will get his chance to shine at the Auckland Nines. Credit: Scott Davis. Copyright: NRL Photos.
Dragons coach Paul McGregor says gifted fullback Matt Dufty and lightning-fast halfback Jai Field have the rest of the pre-season to stake their claims for a Round 1 berth.

RELATED ARTICLES
Dragons' Frizell out of Auckland Nines
Local teen vying for Dragons No.7 spot
New attacking philosophy for 'rigid' Dragons
Nightingale sets end date on storied career

When the Dragons team for Round 1 is revealed, it's unlikely either will start but both are knocking on the door and will get their chance to impress at this weekend's Auckland Nines.

Both are small by NRL standards but exceedingly quick – 19-year-old Field is the fastest at the club over 40 metres – and 21-year-old Dufty has a dominant record at NYC level.

A pair of more experienced first graders – Josh McCrone and Kurt Mann – currently have their noses in front for the No.7 jersey in Round 1 (with former Cutters playmaker Shaun Nona also in the frame) while Kangaroos centre Josh Dugan is almost certain to start the year at fullback.

But McGregor said he's focused on talent rather than size, and if the pair are good enough, they're old enough.

"It's only training now, we've got to put people in front of them," he said of the fringe playmakers.

"The main focus is giving them opportunity to impress and even opportunity to impress in the trial, that's the most important thing… those guys will get some good opportunity during those trials and which one comes out of that we'll know in Round 1."

McGregor praised Field's input at training.

"The biggest thing there is he's a very resilient kid and handles training quite well which is great," McGregor said.

"It's his first pre-season, he's handled the last three months, hasn't missed any contact. He's our fittest and our quickest player and that's important when a young man is coming through but he's untried so the trials will really see how he stands up but if he gets through that well and he performs better than the other players, he'll get the opportunity."

Dufty may also get a run at fullback sooner rather than later but McGregor ruled out phasing him in via the wing.

"He's a fullback because he's a very good ball playing type player so he'd be wasted on the wing," he said.

"You need a bit of size bringing the ball back on the wings whereas his talent lies in his ball playing ability and his speed."

While Dugan will start Round 1, Dufty will get a chance to impress through the pre-season.

"Duff's going to get a really good opportunity through the trials because Josh won't play that Tigers trial. If Duff comes up with something special things can change pretty quickly in rugby league because Josh can play right centre but we've got to remember Duff's only first year out of NYC.

"The best thing for Duff now is to keep concentrating and working hard at training and take that opportunity through the trials and you never know. Again, if he's good enough he'll be getting an opportunity in first grade… He's a very talented footballer."

getsmarty

Immortal
Kiwi Dragons Ready To Star At Home
Fri 3rd February, 08:00AM
A A

1486018863772.jpg

The St George Illawarra Dragons will boast five Kiwis in their Auckland Nines squad this weekend at Eden Park.

Joining New Zealand internationals Kalifa Faifai Loa and Siliva Havili will be young guns Taane Milne, Patrick Herbert and Levi Dodd.

Kiwis veteran Jason Nightingale will also travel across the ditch as the Dragons' emergency player.

The tournament will prove extra special for Herbert and Havili who will get their first opportunities at Nines football on February 4 and 5.

"It's big for guys like Patty Herbert," Faifai Loa said.

"It will be his first Nines. He's looking forward to it and I'm sure his family will travel down to watch their son play."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/02/03/kiwi_dragons_ready_t.html
Dodd and Milne are set to play in their second Nines tournament after featuring in the 2015 edition with the Bulldogs and Roosters respectively.

Faifai Loa – who has featured at every Nines since the tournament's inception – jokingly found a downside to having so many countrymen join him back home.

"It's a bit disappointing because I'm not going to get all the tickets this year," Faifai joked.

"Hopefully one of them pulls out so I can get an extra few tickets for me and my family."

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons coach McGregor’s blunt warning

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

3 Feb 2017, 3:16 p.m.
r0_0_3979_2665_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

CAUGHT: Joel Thompson (left). Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

COACH Paul McGregor has delivered a stern preseason warning, declaring every position vacant when the NRL starts next month.

Trying to find attacking solutions after limping to 12th last year, McGregor is prepared to deliver a stunning selection overhaul when they take on Penrith at Kogarah. The message came before the St George Illawarra squad left for the Auckland Nines, starting on Saturday with games against Parramatta and Manly.

“As Mary has said to all of us, no position is safe in this place,” forward Joel Thompson said at training at WIN Stadium this week.

“Not mine, not (captain) Gareth’s (Widdop), not anyones.

r652_367_2195_2324_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Paul McGregor

“He’ll pick the best side for round one, so if (players) stand up in trials and have been going well in preseason.

“It’s up to us and it’s up to the coach.”

After their lack of scoring potency with captain Widdop and Benji Marshall in the halves this year, McGregor is now considering his halfback options.

Kurt Mann and young Jai Field will have the first chance to impress at the Nines, with Matt Dufty offered a shot to show he is up to handling the fullback spot.

With Shaun Nona and Josh McCrone in the mix, Field, the fastest player over 40 metres at the club, has emerged as the front-runner as a likely partner to Widdop.

If Dufty can play a starring role this weekend, as well as during game time in next week’s trial against the Tigers in Wollongong and the Charity Shield against Souths, McGregor may yet shift Josh Dugan to the centres.

Thompson said the intensity of the Dragons’ preseason training will pay off.

“The new strength and conditioning guys have added a lot more running and more intensity,” he said.

The Dragons are rated $101 outsiders to win this year’s NRL competition

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4445784/dragons-coach-mcgregors-blunt-warning/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Sims happy to share as skipper

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

3 Feb 2017, 4:07 p.m.
r1375_0_3471_2874_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Tariq Sims is happy to share the captaincy with Jack de Belin.

IT says a lot about the impact Tariq Sims has made at the Dragons that he’s been handed Auckland Nines’ captaincy duties, but the Gerringong product says he’s glad to be sharing the honour with club stalwart Jack de Belin.

The Country Origin representative pair were named co-captains of the Dragons squad for the Nines following the withdrawal of Tyson Frizell due to injury.

It’s reward for the leadership Sims has shown throughout the preseason since returning to what was his junior club before stints with Brisbane, North Queensland and Newcastle.

“It obviously gives you a lot of pride and joy to lead such a great club out and such a proud club as well,” Sims said.

“It’s something I've always wanted to re-do and to get the chance to do it with Jack is something I’ll hold pretty close to my chest. He’s been a great servant for the club and he’s going to be here for a long time so to share the role with such a quality player is really special.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4445976/sims-happy-to-share-as-skipper/?cs=3713

possm

Coach
COACH Paul McGregor has delivered a stern preseason warning, declaring every position vacant when the NRL starts next month.

Trying to find attacking solutions after limping to 12th last year, McGregor is prepared to deliver a stunning selection overhaul when they take on Penrith at Kogarah. The message came before the St George Illawarra squad left for the Auckland Nines, starting on Saturday with games against Parramatta and Manly.

“As Mary has said to all of us, no position is safe in this place,” forward Joel Thompson said at training at WIN Stadium this week.

“Not mine, not (captain) Gareth’s (Widdop), not anyones.

Great! The position that should be on tilt is Mary's coaching job. At least announce our new coach for 2018 so we fans can rely on some sense of hope.

getsmarty

Immortal
Watch: Youngster Jai Field races into Dragons’ NRL round one mix

• February 4, 2017 12:21pm
  • Ben Glover@glover_benny
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
DRAGONS young gun Jai Field got his career in the Red V off to a perfect start with a breathtaking try that showcased all the skills that have him rocketing into calculations for a spot in Paul McGregor’s round one side next month.

McGregor earlier this week admitted that Field was putting forward a strong case for the No.7 jersey vacated by the departing Benji Marshall.

A devastating pre-season ACL injury to Drew Hutchison has blown the contest for the halfback spot wide open and McGregor has said trial form will dictate who gets first crack.

The diminutive 19-year-old is just 78kg but his explosive speed off the mark and his fast footwork make him a handful for defenders in the front line.

It’s a lesson Parramatta learnt the hard way when Field burst onto a flat ball on about the halfway mark and seared through a hole before opening up and winning the race to the try line with his first touch of the game.

f788817cbb372e2f5590aa757720da08

Jai Field races away.Source: FOX SPORTS
He admitted it was a perfect start.

“Yeah definitely, my first game in a sort of NRL team, so it was a pretty special first touch.”

Field said he knew what he had to do to push his claims for a starting spot come round one but revealed McGregor is yet to speak to him specifically about his expectations.

“He came out and said that (trial form will dictate who wins the No.7 jersey),” Field said.

“I’ve just been trying to put my best foot forward at training and do everything I possibly can to get that crack, so I’ll see how trials go.

“We haven’t really sat down or spoken about anything like that.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/auc...x/news-story/ae6ace18cb464ad9a7daa76d2240dfd8

getsmarty

Immortal
Head Content With Cutters Effort
Mon 6th February, 10:00AM
A A

1486342110822.jpg

Illawarra Cutters Head Coach Mathew Head is content with his squad's effort in their 12-all draw against the Blacktown Sea Eagles at Ron Costello Oval last Saturday night.

With no first grade players available for selection, the Cutters fielded an inexperienced squad consisting of Cutters' contracted players and NYC players.

A healthy crowd rolled into the suburban venue and were treated to a physical and entertaining tussle, with both sides crossing the white stripe on three occasions.

While pleased with his side's first-up performance, Head admits there is still room for improvement within the young squad.

"We were a little scratchy early on, but once we fell into our structure, the boys executed really well," Head said.

"We had a lot of guys who got an opportunity from the local league comps and they all performed nicely, as did the guys stepping up from the NYC.

"We've still got a bit to work do in terms of game related issues, but overall I was happy with our first up effort."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/02/06/head_content_with_cu.af_news.html