What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
De Belin sets sights on Dragons' NRL crown after Origin glory
Dragons Den
The lure of an NRL premiership has helped Dragons forward Jack de Belin hit the reset button, after admitting he struggled to adjust mentally in the sky blue afterglow of State of Origin success.

r0_0_5238_3492_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Blue flame: Jack de Belin. Picture: AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts

St George Illawarra are preparing for a Sunday blockbuster at Allianz Stadium against title rivals the Roosters. And de Belin said a top four finish was the next goal, as a launching pad to finals glory.

But de Belin, who continues to have ongoing treatment on a hip injury this season, reveals the emotional letdown of claiming a breakthrough Origin series win with NSW had been difficult.

“I’m not going to lie to you, it’s been pretty hard,” he said after training at WIN Stadium on Wednesday.

“You’re on such a high and you kind of reach the pinnacle of Australian sport, in rugby league definitely.

“It was a little bit different coming back to club footy. You feel you've reached the top of the mountain and what's there to do now?

“But it takes a week or two and you're back and want to do something special with the Dragons.”

With six rounds remaining, St George Illawarra meet the Roosters then the Warriors at WIN Stadium, before tackling the Eels, Tigers, Bulldogs and Knights. It means all four of their opponents in the last month could be out of finals contention, unless Wests can continue an unlikely late-season march into the top eight.

De Belin said the Dragons had learnt from the heartbreak of last year’s round 26 loss to the Bulldogs, which cost them a playoffs spot.

“We’re not kidding ourselves,” he said.

“We set a goal at the start of the year to be top four and we’re sitting in a good position at the moment.

“Destiny is in our own hands, I suppose.

“Last year we were in a good position and didn’t make finals, but this year we can do a lot better.

“We’ve learnt from our past mistakes.”

Roosters forward Boyd Cordner suffered a shoulder injury in the victory over Manly on Sunday, but de Belin knows the level of toughness the NSW Origin captain has, after defying the odds to play in game three earlier month with a calf problem.

“He was pretty beat up,” de Belin said.

“I’m surprised he played and he did well to tell you the truth.

“He was forever getting treatment, icing it cryo(therapy), he was the ultimate professional.

“He’ll be the exact same with the Roosters. If he’s playing, he’ll be performing.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ghts-on-nrl-crown-after-origin-glory/?cs=3713

Drag Queen

Bench
Dragons Den
The lure of an NRL premiership has helped Dragons forward Jack de Belin hit the reset button, after admitting he struggled to adjust mentally in the sky blue afterglow of State of Origin success.

St George Illawarra are preparing for a Sunday blockbuster at Allianz Stadium against title rivals the Roosters. And de Belin said a top four finish was the next goal, as a launching pad to finals glory.

But de Belin, who continues to have ongoing treatment on a hip injury this season, reveals the emotional letdown of claiming a breakthrough Origin series win with NSW had been difficult.

“I’m not going to lie to you, it’s been pretty hard,” he said after training at WIN Stadium on Wednesday.

“You’re on such a high and you kind of reach the pinnacle of Australian sport, in rugby league definitely.

“It was a little bit different coming back to club footy. You feel you've reached the top of the mountain and what's there to do now?

“But it takes a week or two and you're back and want to do something special with the Dragons.”

With six rounds remaining, St George Illawarra meet the Roosters then the Warriors at WIN Stadium, before tackling the Eels, Tigers, Bulldogs and Knights. It means all four of their opponents in the last month could be out of finals contention, unless Wests can continue an unlikely late-season march into the top eight.

De Belin said the Dragons had learnt from the heartbreak of last year’s round 26 loss to the Bulldogs, which cost them a playoffs spot.

“We set a goal at the start of the year to be top four and we’re sitting in a good position at the moment.

“Last year we were in a good position and didn’t make finals, but this year we can do a lot better.

Roosters forward Boyd Cordner suffered a shoulder injury in the victory over Manly on Sunday, but de Belin knows the level of toughness the NSW Origin captain has, after defying the odds to play in game three earlier month with a calf problem.

“He was forever getting treatment, icing it cryo(therapy), he was the ultimate professional.

“He’ll be the exact same with the Roosters. If he’s playing, he’ll be performing.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ghts-on-nrl-crown-after-origin-glory/?cs=3713
Dragons Den

Giddy up JDB. Hope all the boys go in with the same enthusiasm. We are a possibility, but I'm nervous about this game. Surely I'm not the only one..

Belta

Juniors
Drag Queen said;

“Giddy up JDB. Hope all the boys go in with the same enthusiasm. We are a possibility,but I'm nervous about this game. Surely I'mnot the only one.”

—————————————————-/

I agree Drag Queen I’m predicting a nail biter. I’m hoping our forwards have recouperated to some degree after a heavy work load in recent weeks. If the Origin boys and Graham come out on:fire: I would back us in. JP showed last week is a first grader and hopefully has another good game. If we win the forward battle our spine will bring it home :house: in a very close game

Drag Queen

Bench
Drag Queen said;

“Giddy up JDB. Hope all the boys go in with the same enthusiasm. We are a possibility,but I'm nervous about this game. Surely I'mnot the only one.”

—————————————————-/

I agree Drag Queen I’m predicting a nail biter. I’m hoping our forwards have recouperated to some degree after a heavy work load in recent weeks. If the Origin boys and Graham come out on:fire: I would back us in. JP showed last week is a first grader and hopefully has another good game. If we win the forward battle our spine will bring it home :house: in a very close game
Here's hoping Belta. I have no doubt about our forwards. I'm more worried about our backs. I'm hoping JP causes some havoc on the paddock. Cheers.

getsmarty

Immortal
KICKOFF: Father’s memory driving Brooker
Dragons Den
r0_35_5184_3456_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NEVER GONE: "He's never seen me score a try or win a premiership but he's always with me."
Georgie Brooker reflects on the influence of her father Andrew after signing her contract with the Dragons this week. Picture: Robert Peet

HURDLES in lodging an NRL contract are nothing new, but you won’t find a delay more worthy than the one Georgie Brooker experienced en route to signing her first deal with the Dragons this week.

The contract will see her don the red v for the inaugural NRL Women’s Premiership in September but, while most players sign their first NRL deal in an office or a Leagues Club, Bulli-raised Brooker saved the moment she inked the deal for someone special.

“I went down to Dad’s grave this morning because I wanted to have that special moment with him signing it,” Brooker told Kickoff on Wednesday.

“It hasn’t quite hit me yet. I’ve had to keep it a secret for the last week, when this comes out it will probably hit me then because I know how proud he’d be of me and how hard I’ve worked in the last 10 years to get here.”

Even 15 years after his passing, her father Andrew remains her greatest inspiration.

“This week I’ve just been thinking of little things from my past and one of the earliest memories I had was saying ‘hey dad, do you reckon if I get as big and strong as the boys I could be the first woman to play for the Dragons?’

“He just looked at me and said ‘no darling I don’t think that can happen’. Now it’s happened, we’ve got a league of our own, the game’s just grown so much and to be a part of it is something truly special.”

Andrew was right to be skeptical of his daughter’s NRL dream back then, the thought of women’s competition was still two decades away, but he decided he was going to give her every chance to realise it.

“One night dad and I were sitting on the lounge watching the Dragons play and I said ‘dad I want to play, I want to play,” she recalls.

“A couple of weeks later I went to a church camp and when he picked me up he said ‘I’ve got surprise for you, I’ve registered you for rugby league’. From there he was just my biggest inspiration, he taught me everything I know about football.”

r0_86_509_595_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FAMILY: Derek, Sally, Georgie and Andy Brooker in Woonona Bulls garb

Georgie, sister Sally and brother Derek became a weekend fixture at Hollymount Oval, cutting their teeth with Woonona Bulls. Andrew filled just about every role there was at the club, secretary, coach and dad to more than just his own kids.

It’s something that rubbed off on his daughter, a Country representative and seven-time Illawarra premiership-winner.

“The way I’ve grown up, I’m a team player, I never miss a training session, I’ll always help out the club any way I can, I’m always pushing the other girls to succeed,” she said.

“That’s what he’s built in me, that love of the game.”

r0_0_721_959_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Georgie Brooker made a special trip to sign her first NRL contract.

Even with the premiership success, a decade in the relative anonymity of even the best women’s leagues tested that love, which is why the lure of an NRL debut was enough to fully flick the switch on her dream this year.

“This contact hasn’t been just handed to me. I left my job at Steelers in March because I was exhausted and I knew that, if I wanted this, I needed to be training my arse off to earn it,” she said.

“I found myself a full-time job in Taren Point knowing if I could train at Live Athletic under Justin Lang that was going to benefit me in more ways then one. The 4:30-5am alarms have become my best friend.

“My drives home are when I catch up with my mates over the phone and walking in the door at 9pm passing my mum to say goodnight is all I really see of my family.

“It hasn’t been the easiest five months, but I knew my life needed to change to earn the reward, and that is living out my childhood dream and becoming a part of history in a game I hold so close to my heart.”

If only Andrew could see his little girl now, although Georgie’s entirely convinced that he is.

“He’s never seen me score a try or win a premiership but, every time I go out on the field, he's always with me,” she said.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5549493/kickoff-fathers-memory-driving-brooker/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons add taste of Steel to women's roster
Dragons Den
r0_139_5194_3648_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HOME-GROWN: New Dragons signings Shakiah Tungai, Talia Atfield, Georgie Brooker and Keely Davis at WIN Stadium. The quartet are all recent graduates of the club's seven-week High Performance Unit program. Picture: Robert Peet

IT was the key plank in the Dragons bid for a license, and the club has drawn heavily on its rich Illawarra production line in filling the final pieces of its roster for the inaugural NRL Women’s Premiership.

Having already locked down home-grown Jillaroos Sam Bremner, Kezie Apps and Rikeya Horne, the club has now added young-guns Talia Atfield, Shakiah Tungai and Keely Davis as well as seven-time Illawarra premiership-winner Georgie Brooker.

Coach Daniel Lacey said the addition of the quartet was a nod to both the club’s future and its past efforts in developing in women’s pathways.

“It’s really pleasing and one of the most satisfying things of being a coach,” Lacey said.

“I’ve been around the women’s game for a while now and to see their progression and be able to offer them a contract is really pleasing. It’s a good sign of things to come but a really good indication of where we’ve been and how much women’s rugby league has progressed.

“There was a criteria you had to meet to be given a license and we were pretty confident in what we’ve done in the area over the years. We’re a club that’s going to have eight (local) juniors in the inaugural year and I don’t think anyone would have thought that would happen five years ago.

“It’s really opened peoples’ eyes to what has happened behind the scenes rather than just girls playing on Saturday. The girls have put in a lot of work and the staff have put in a lot of work and the club is backing them all the way to playing NRL.”

While there are still some roster spots to be filled, Lacey said the full squad will come together with a view to, not just immediate, but long-term success as the competition develops.

“It’s a five-year license so we’ve got to look long-term there,” Lacey said.

“The club’s vision was to look to the locals, and it was always my vision to try and make this NRL team a team we don’t have to completely change [each season].

“There’s a reason we’ve recruited the players we have. We don’t want our team photo to be 22 new players next year, we want to try and build a side for the long-term.

“Some are younger and will probably get drip-fed into this competition and we’ll see how they go. We’ll obviously be competitive but, by putting in these young local players, they play here, they live in the area and they’ve got the Dragons at heart which is a good model moving forward.”

Part of the club’s long-game has also been the introduction of a women’s High Performance Unit that introduced 19 players – including their latest signing – to an elite training program over seven weeks.

“We’ve noticed that the top marquee players are getting the access to all the elite training and training programs and then there’s a bit of a drop off to everyone else in their pathway,” Lacey said.

“Some of these girls have come on the scene really fast we’re finding we need to get them into that [elite] environment and see how they react and give them the tools to work through that.

“We get an abundance of emails from interstate, overseas from people who see our pathway and ask us how do I become an NRL player? Six months ago it was a tricky question to answer.

“Now we can say, we’ve got a strong local competition and you can go into high performance and be given all the tools that you need to. Having that direct pathway makes things a bit clearer for people.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5548839/dragons-add-taste-of-steel/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Dragons sign four local juniors to Women's Premiership ranks
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 26 Jul 2018, 04:27 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons are pleased to announce the signings of local juniors Talia Atfield, Georgina Brooker, Keeley Davis and Shakiah Tungai for the inaugural NRL Holden Women's Premiership.

All four of the Dragons' latest signings were born and bred in either the Wollongong or South Coast regions, exhibiting once again the development of women's rugby league in the club's catchment areas.

The Dragons' latest signings mean eight players within the club's Women's Premiership squad are from local catchment areas.

Three of these young females –five-eighth Atfield, hooker Davis, and centre Tungai – are also members of the Dragons' High Performance Unit (HPU) squad.

The women's HPU is a seven-week program complete with a mixture of education, field skill and drills and gym sessions, and ultimately perpetuates the further development of young women who either play in the area or for the club's two Tarsha Gale Cup sides.

Corrimal Cougar Davis, who at 18 years old will be the Dragons' Holden Women's Premiership squad's youngest player, is an example of the genuine pathway now in place at the club.

The New South Wales Country representative was the inaugural Illawarra Steelers' Player of the Year in 2017, and will once again link up with coach Daniel Lacey for the NRL Women's Premiership.

"It's unreal to be one of the first women to complete the Dragons' pathway from the juniors to now the NRL squad," Davis said.

"I never thought I'd see it happen in my playing career. To have had the faith of Daniel from the very beginning of my Dragons career to now has proven to be a very big help too."

Avondale Greyhound Tungai is another whose quick development saw her feature heavily for the NSW Country side at the recent National Championships.

"It's a really big honour to sign with the Dragons and even better that I still get to play locally too," Tungai said.

"It's awesome to have earned this opportunity and it's exciting that we locals get to show other young female players in the local area that if you play well then big opportunities like this will come."

Although injury has kept Helensburgh Tiger Atfield out for the past 12 months, she has come along in leaps and bounds since her return.

The Bomaderry Swamp Rats junior played for New South Wales Country in 2017 and is hoping her signing with the Dragons will catapult her back into representative calculations.

"I'm really excited to be a part of the first-ever Dragons' women's team and I'm very grateful for this opportunity, it's one I'll be taking with both hands," Atfield said.

"There was a time there where I never thought I'd get back on the footy field which was hard. But I was pointed in the right direction and now I'm back playing, which is the most amazing feeling."

While front-rower Brooker doesn't currently play in the area, she is a veteran of the Illawarra competition having played since she was eight.

The Woonona Bulls junior has also played for the Thirroul Butchers, Helensburgh Tigers and Corrimal Cougars, and is another who played for the New South Wales Country side recently.

"It hasn't really hit me yet that I'll be a part of the Dragons' Women's Premiership team. The fact I've been a part of the game for so long - and that this is something so big for women's rugby league - I find it unbelievable to be in this position," Brooker said.

"Once (Daniel) Lacey told me that he wanted me in his squad, I haven't stopped dreaming about what is to come."

Dragons granted NRL Women's Premiership license

The Dragons' Holden Women's Premiership squad now sits at 14 and will be completed by Tuesday, July 31, with training scheduled to begin on Wednesday, August 1.

Further signings will be announced in the coming days once contracts are officially formalised.

Biographies

Talia Atfield

• New South Wales Country (2017)
  • New South Wales pathways squad (2017)
Georgina Brooker

• New South Wales Country (2018)
Keeley Davis

• Illawarra Steelers' Tarsha Gale Cup Player of the Year
Shakiah Tungai

• Kyah Simon Player of the Tournament Medal at National Indigenous Soccer Championships (2016)
St George Illawarra's NRL Holden Women's Premiership squad (so far):

• Kezie Apps
  • Talia Atfield
  • Sam Bremner
  • Georgina Brooker
  • Keeley Davis
  • Honey Hireme
  • Rikeya Horne
  • Raecene McGregor
  • Talesha Quinn
  • Oneata Schwalger
  • Anneka Stephens
  • Jessica Sergis
  • Shakiah Tungai
  • Holli Wheeler

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/07/26/dragons-sign-four-juniors-to-womens-premiership-ranks/

Drag Queen

Bench
WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Dragons sign four local juniors to Women's Premiership ranks
Author
Timestamp
Thu 26 Jul 2018, 04:27 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons are pleased to announce the signings of local juniors Talia Atfield, Georgina Brooker, Keeley Davis and Shakiah Tungai for the inaugural NRL Holden Women's Premiership.

All four of the Dragons' latest signings were born and bred in either the Wollongong or South Coast regions, exhibiting once again the development of women's rugby league in the club's catchment areas.

The Dragons' latest signings mean eight players within the club's Women's Premiership squad are from local catchment areas.

Three of these young females –five-eighth Atfield, hooker Davis, and centre Tungai – are also members of the Dragons' High Performance Unit (HPU) squad.

The women's HPU is a seven-week program complete with a mixture of education, field skill and drills and gym sessions, and ultimately perpetuates the further development of young women who either play in the area or for the club's two Tarsha Gale Cup sides.

Corrimal Cougar Davis, who at 18 years old will be the Dragons' Holden Women's Premiership squad's youngest player, is an example of the genuine pathway now in place at the club.

The New South Wales Country representative was the inaugural Illawarra Steelers' Player of the Year in 2017, and will once again link up with coach Daniel Lacey for the NRL Women's Premiership.

"It's unreal to be one of the first women to complete the Dragons' pathway from the juniors to now the NRL squad," Davis said.

"I never thought I'd see it happen in my playing career. To have had the faith of Daniel from the very beginning of my Dragons career to now has proven to be a very big help too."

Avondale Greyhound Tungai is another whose quick development saw her feature heavily for the NSW Country side at the recent National Championships.

"It's a really big honour to sign with the Dragons and even better that I still get to play locally too," Tungai said.

"It's awesome to have earned this opportunity and it's exciting that we locals get to show other young female players in the local area that if you play well then big opportunities like this will come."

Although injury has kept Helensburgh Tiger Atfield out for the past 12 months, she has come along in leaps and bounds since her return.

The Bomaderry Swamp Rats junior played for New South Wales Country in 2017 and is hoping her signing with the Dragons will catapult her back into representative calculations.

"I'm really excited to be a part of the first-ever Dragons' women's team and I'm very grateful for this opportunity, it's one I'll be taking with both hands," Atfield said.

"There was a time there where I never thought I'd get back on the footy field which was hard. But I was pointed in the right direction and now I'm back playing, which is the most amazing feeling."

While front-rower Brooker doesn't currently play in the area, she is a veteran of the Illawarra competition having played since she was eight.

The Woonona Bulls junior has also played for the Thirroul Butchers, Helensburgh Tigers and Corrimal Cougars, and is another who played for the New South Wales Country side recently.

"It hasn't really hit me yet that I'll be a part of the Dragons' Women's Premiership team. The fact I've been a part of the game for so long - and that this is something so big for women's rugby league - I find it unbelievable to be in this position," Brooker said.

"Once (Daniel) Lacey told me that he wanted me in his squad, I haven't stopped dreaming about what is to come."

Dragons granted NRL Women's Premiership license

The Dragons' Holden Women's Premiership squad now sits at 14 and will be completed by Tuesday, July 31, with training scheduled to begin on Wednesday, August 1.

Further signings will be announced in the coming days once contracts are officially formalised.

Biographies

Talia Atfield

• New South Wales Country (2017)
  • New South Wales pathways squad (2017)
Georgina Brooker

Keeley Davis

• Illawarra Steelers' Tarsha Gale Cup Player of the Year
Shakiah Tungai

• Kyah Simon Player of the Tournament Medal at National Indigenous Soccer Championships (2016)

• Kezie Apps
  • Talia Atfield
  • Sam Bremner
  • Georgina Brooker
  • Keeley Davis
  • Honey Hireme
  • Rikeya Horne
  • Raecene McGregor
  • Talesha Quinn
  • Oneata Schwalger
  • Anneka Stephens
  • Jessica Sergis
  • Shakiah Tungai
  • Holli Wheeler

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/07/26/dragons-sign-four-juniors-to-womens-premiership-ranks/
Go girls. Good to see.

getsmarty

Immortal
Blues star a new arrival

r0_0_3712_5568_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

NSW back-rower Hannah Southwell will be a Dragon this season. Picture: NRL

THE Dragons women’s recruitment drive continues, with the club adding incumbent NSW back-rower Hannah Southwell to its ranks for the upcoming season.

A multi-sport star, Southwell was the W-League’s youngest ever player when she debuted for Newcastle at just 15 in 2014. She made the switch to rugby sevens the same year, winning an Oceania title, before switching back the game she first played in her youth this year.

Initially a shadow player, injuries saw Southwell play a big role in Country’s national championships victory and earn a spot on the bench for NSW for the inaugural women’s Origin clash earlier this month.

"I never thought I reach this stage in rugby league at all,” Southwell said.

“I only just made the CRL Newcastle team, then just made the Country team and was lucky to play well enough to be selected for the Blues. I didn't think it would happen this quick but I've loved every opportunity I've received and I'm very humbled to sign with the Dragons.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5551852/blues-star-a-new-arrival/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
southwellh-180616_gt_01.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Dragons sign representative duo for Women's Premiership
Author
Timestamp
Fri 27 Jul 2018, 04:24 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons are proud to announce the signings of Hannah Southwell and Teina Clark for the NRL Holden Women's Premiership.

Both utilities have played for New South Wales, while Clark has represented both the Australia Jillaroos and New Zealand Maori Ferns.

Southwell's rise through the women's rugby league ranks in particular has been nothing short of remarkable.

The Kotara Bears junior was the youngest ever female to make her debut in the W-League, when she played for the Newcastle Jets at just 15 years old. She has also played for the Under-16s and Under-19s Matildas as well as state cricket.

In 2016 she transitioned to rugby sevens – where she played for Australia – before transitioning back to rugby league this year.

Her selection for NSW Country at the recent National Championships paid instant dividends when she was selected to play in Ben Cross's victorious NSW Origin team.

"I never thought I reach this stage in rugby league at all. At the beginning of the year, I only just made the CRL Newcastle team, then just made the Country team and was lucky to play well enough to be selected for the Blues," Southwell said.

"I didn't think it would happen this quick for me but I've loved every opportunity I've received and I'm very humbled to sign with the Dragons. I've come full circle now."

Clark is one of the most experienced members of the Dragons' NRL Women's Premiership squad after making her debut for NSW in 2006.

fullsizerender.jpg

Teina Clark in action for New South Wales City
The Jillaroos utility also has the rare distinction of being selected for the Kiwi Ferns and Maori Ferns as well as the Jillaroos over her distinguished career.

The Turangawaewae junior recent featured for NSW City at the National Championships, and like marquee signing Raecene McGregor comes from the Cabramatta Two Blues.

"It's been a long process for women's rugby league in general to be recognised and I'm very grateful for the opportunity and to be a part of the first NRL Women's Premiership," Clark said.

"To play with Raecene at the highest level will be cool too. She's one of the fresh, new breed coming through and has a lot to offer."

Dragons Women's Premiership coach Daniel Lacey was delighted by the two latest additions to the squad and the sporting pedigree they'll provide to the Red V.

"Hannah is someone fans should be really excited about. She's a gifted athlete who has basically achieved anything that's been thrown in front of her," Lacey said.

"To have the list of achievements she has at just 19 years of age; it's beyond me how she's even been able to accomplish what she has.

"I have seen her step up at the highest levels already for [New South Wales] and seen her get the job done. The bigger the challenge, the better she will get.

"Teina comes with a huge rugby league resume and what she'll bring to the club is plenty of experience and versatility," Lacey added.

"She's played a number of positions over her career and brings a lot of grunt each time she plays. She's an aggressive player and someone who doesn't back down."

The Dragons' Holden Women's Premiership squad now sits at 16 and will be completed by Tuesday, July 31, with training scheduled to begin on Wednesday, August 1.

Biographies

Teina Clark

• New South Wales Origin (2006, 2008-11, 2014)
  • Australia Jillaroos (2007-10)
  • NRL All Stars (2012)
  • New Zealand Kiwi Ferns World Cup squad (2013)
  • New Zealand Maori Ferns (2018)
  • New South Wales City (2018)
Hannah Southwell

• New South Wales Origin (2018)
  • Australia rugby sevens (2016)
  • Mini Matildas (2014)
  • Young Matildas (2014)

• Kezie Apps
  • Talia Atfield
  • Sam Bremner
  • Georgina Brooker
  • Teina Clark
  • Keeley Davis
  • Honey Hireme
  • Rikeya Horne
  • Raecene McGregor
  • Talesha Quinn
  • Oneata Schwalger
  • Anneka Stephens
  • Jessica Sergis
  • Hannah Southwell
  • Shakiah Tungai
  • Holli Wheeler

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/07/27/dragons-sign-representative-duo-for-womens-premiership/

getsmarty

Immortal
Pereira answers the NRL call for St George Illawarra Dragons
  • Dragons Den
    r0_0_2053_1473_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Debut: Winger Jordan Pereira played for the Dragons against the Cowboys last weekend. Picture: Scott Davis/NRL magery

• With the NRL’s mid-season contract deadline looming last year, Jordan Pereira is stuffing all his belongings into an old Mazda.

The next day he and his fiancee Sarah would begin the 26-hour journey from Mackay to Wollongong, all in the hope of one day making his debut in the big time.

For the previous three pre-seasons, Pereira had been knocked back by the Cowboys, who believed they already had enough outside backs in their squad.

A career in rugby league seemed out of reach.

Then the phone call came.

“It was completely out of the blue,” he says after training at WIN Stadium this week. “I was playing in Mackay for three seasons and nothing, no whispers, I’d been asking if I could get a pre-season with the Cowboys, every single year.

“I was asking, ‘please, let me show you I could work my way into a system’. There were always ums and ahs, but it never eventuated into anything, I was a bit disappointed with that.

“Then it was June 29 and my manager calls. ‘The Dragons want you, you’ve got a day to get it done’.”

At this point, Pereira looks over to his fiancee, the enormity of the opportunity – and the move – beginning to sink in, both knowing it was time to start packing.

As fate would have it, Pereira would make his NRL debut for St George Illawarra against the Cowboys, little more than 12 months on.

He’d spent time in reserve grade at the ground across the road to 1300Smiles Stadium in Townsville, dreaming of the day it would come.

Pereira scored a try too, on the end of a phenomenal piece of adlib play, to add it to the 16 he’s scored in the NSW Premiership in as many games this year.

With Nene Macdonald out with a foot injury, could Pereira become the X-factor to drive the Dragons towards a premiership?

Could the 25-year-old – who came from park footy in Perth and only played on the wing to learn the game after switching from rugby union – produce form so irresistible it could force the last Dragons premiership player Jason Nightingale, out of the team, and potentially into retirement, when Macdonald returns?

It remains to be seen.

But Pereira believes he’s ready to handle the NRL finals pressure-cooker, learning about the levels of professionalism it takes from 2010 premiership captain Ben Hornby.

Learning the art and subtleties of positional play from Nightingale and the motivational support from NSW forward Tariq Sims during the tortures of preseason.

“It was a waiting game,” he said. “I genuinely don’t believe I was ready 19 rounds ago, it was my first full NRL pre-season, just learning the ropes. They got me ready, so it did take a while, obviously I got a crack. I’m stoked, I don’t really want to let it go.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5550780/pereira-answers-the-call-for-dragons/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
pereiraj-debut-180721708.jpg

DRAGONS

Transfer deadline signing Jordan Pereira drives 26 hours for NRL chance at St George Illawarra Dragons
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 27 Jul 2018, 06:01 PM

St George Illawarra winger Jordan Pereira had been waiting more than two years for a chance in the NRL but when it came he had just 24 hours to sign and drive from North Queensland to Wollongong.

Pereira, who made his NRL debut in last weekend’s 24-10 defeat of the Cowboys and will line up again on the left wing against Sydney Roosters at Allianz Stadium on Sunday, was playing for Mackay in the Intrust Super Cup when he received an approach to join the Dragons the day before last year’s June 30 deadline.

After consulting his fiancée, Sarah Orange, the much-travelled Kiwi accepted the offer and the couple packed most of their belongings into her Mazda 3 and drove for 26 hours so Pereira could start training with his new club.

"She did most of the driving, to be honest. I was sleeping," Pereira said of the 1850km journey. "We lived in a furnished apartment so we didn’t have any furniture to bring down and we literally just filled the car up with bags of clothes.

"As soon as we got to Sydney I had to drop my fiancee at the airport and she flew straight back because she had to work in Mackay."

Roosters v Dragons - Round 20

Introduced to rugby league in Western Australia after moving from New Zealand when he finished school, Pereira hadn't seriously contemplated a sporting career until approached by the Illawarra Cutters after scoring 19 tries in his debut season for Perth's Willagee Bears in 2014.

His try-scoring prowess continued with Mackay and he is also the leading try-scorer in the Intrust Super Premiership after crossing the try line 16 times for the Dragons before last weekend’s call-up to replace the injured Nene Macdonald.

"In rugby union, I played a little bit in the forwards and the centres. When I came over to league they just said, ‘you don’t know the rules, you don’t know the game so it is probably best if you just jump on the wing’," Pereira said. "I learned the game, kind of just whenever they kicked. That turned me into a winger.

"I'd been asking if I could get a pre-season with the Cowboys every single year. I was asking, ‘please, let me show you I could work my way into a system’ … but it never eventuated into anything."

Since joining the Dragons, Pereira said ISP coach Mathew Head, Paul McGregor's NRL assistant Ben Hornby and second-rower Tariq Sims had been influences on his transition to the top grade.

"Probably the most influential person throughout the pre-season was Tariq," he said. "It was just his motivational skills. I trained really hard in the off-season coming into pre-season, knowing that the pre-season was going to be torture and I still wasn't fit enough.

pereiraj-debut-180721713.jpg

Dragons winger Jordan Pereira. :copyright:NRL Photos
"I can’t emphasise how hard the pre-season was but he just picked me up every single time. That’s what I put my development down to.

"I genuinely don’t’ believe I was ready 19 rounds ago. My first NRL pre-season was just learning the ropes from the professional coaches around me.

"They got me ready and it did take a while. I'm stoked. I don’t want to let it go."

After scoring a try on debut against the Cowboys, he will again play outside Tim Lafai against the Roosters and the centre said the 25-year-old rookie was an ideal replacement for Macdonald.

"Nene was a big loss for us, he is a powerhouse winger who helped us with those yardage carries and by finishing off those freakish tries that he does but in saying that we picked up a bonus in Jordie, who can do the same," Lafai said. "He has worked hard, he is one of the hardest workers in training and has earned his spot."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...or-nrl-chance-at-st-george-illawarra-dragons/

hewi

Bench
I like this bloke, he reminds me of another favourite Kiwi winger Jason Donnelly. Tough as they come, flew over at his own expense for a try out with Brian Smith when he coached and succeeded. Him and Nightie great Dragon Kiwis.

getsmarty

Immortal
brander-annette-07.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Dragons sign Queensland Origin trio for Women's Premiership
Author
Timestamp
Mon 30 Jul 2018, 06:00 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons are proud to announce the signings of Annette Brander, Kate Haren and Asipau Mafi for the NRL Holden Women's Premiership.

All three players are currently in the NRL's 40-woman elite squad and have been signed by the Dragons as free agents.

While all three have previously played for Queensland, back-rower Brander has also been a mainstay of the Australia Jillaroos since her Test debut back in 2014.

Brander – who works as a legal assistant – has fortunately been granted leave for the entire competition by her employer and cannot wait to give her all for the Dragons.

"It's a big move overall, and I'm not one for change often but just to be a part of the first Women's Premiership is a massive thing," the 2018 Queensland Origin Players' Player Brander said.

"I'm really excited for this challenge and to be out of my comfort zone at the Dragons because I never thought I'd get the chance to play for any NRL team during my career.

"Asi (Mafi) and I have roomed together before when we were in camp for the elite squad, and we have actually organised to road trip from Brisbane which will be another experience in itself."

Front-rower Mafi coincidentally made her Queensland debut in Wollongong in 2017, and said the chance to play alongside the Dragons' local elite was something she never envisioned would happen.

brandera-womens-top-40-180310-04.jpg

Asipau Mafi in camp with NRL elite women's squad.
"Wollongong was definitely somewhere I was keen to come back to after playing for Queensland there. Now to play with some of the best players in women's rugby league like Kezie Apps, Sammy Bremner and Talesha Quinn is amazing," Mafi said.

"To be under their leadership and in their stomping ground, I can't wait to take on this opportunity."

Back-rower Haren hails from Innisfail in Queensland's north and described signing with the Dragons as a dream come true.

harenk-170720700.jpg

Kate Haren in training with the Queensland Origin team
As Innisfail doesn't currently have a women's team, Haren trains with the men's side and completes a seven-hour journey – via car and plane – to play for the Wests Brisbane Panthers with the likes of Mafi every weekend.

"I'm looking forward to the change of scenery and the opportunities that lie ahead. For a long time, I didn't think this would be a possibility," Haren said.

"Coming from such a small town and community to be one of the first ever to play in the NRL as a woman, I'm hoping we're able to pave the way for other young girls.

"It's amazing to think that not that long ago we were paying our own way to play at the Queensland titles and for the Queensland side. The professionalism now that is involved with women's sport is astounding.

Dragons Women's Premiership coach Daniel Lacey couldn't believe his luck when told the Queensland trio weren't picked in June's marquee signing period.

"We struggled to comprehend how Annette (Brander) was still available once when the marquee signing period ended. I let her concentrate on the State of Origin period thereafter, and from then she took her game up a level," Lacey said.

"While other clubs were chasing her, we are so proud of this signing because of the commitment and loyalty she showed us throughout.

"Asi (Mafi) is a really powerful middle player, she's worked really hard on her fitness and is really now motivated to maintain her standing as the top 40 player that she is and maximise the opportunity she now has at our club," Lacey added.

"As for Kate (Haren), she brings a wealth of experience to the Dragons. She's a rugby league tragic and wanted nothing more to be a part of the Women's Premiership. She is 100 per cent behind playing for this club.

"Throughout our discussions, you could tell how committed she was to rugby league. She loves the game and you can tell that through her professionalism. It was great to be able to sign her because like Kate have given a lot to the game."

The Dragons' Holden Women's Premiership squad now sits at 19, with training scheduled to begin on Wednesday, August 1.

Further signings will be announced over the coming days once contracts are officially formalised.

Biographies

Annette Brander

• Queensland Origin (2014, 2016-current)
  • Australia Jillaroos (2014-current)
  • NRL All Stars (2014-2016)
Kate Haren

• Queensland Origin (2009, 2012, 2017)
  • Queensland Country (2018)
Asipau Mafi

• Queensland Origin (2017)
  • Queensland City (2018)

• Kezie Apps
  • Talia Atfield
  • Annette Brander
  • Sam Bremner
  • Georgina Brooker
  • Teina Clark
  • Keeley Davis
  • Kate Haren
  • Honey Hireme
  • Rikeya Horne
  • Asipau Mafi
  • Raecene McGregor
  • Talesha Quinn
  • Oneata Schwalger
  • Anneka Stephens
  • Jessica Sergis
  • Hannah Southwell
  • Shakiah Tungai
  • Holli Wheeler

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...ueensland-origin-trio-for-womens-premiership/

Latest posts