What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
Get Your Name On The 2017 Member Wall
Tue 7th February, 10:00AM
A A

1486422807736.jpg

Become a Red V Member today to get your name on the 2017 Member Wall!

Calling all Dragons Fans: Become a St George Illawarra member by Wednesday, February 8th to ensure your name is listed on the 2017 Member Wall!

The wall lists all the faithful Red V Members who have signed up early to support the club, with it proudly displayed at home games and member events throughout the season.

By becoming a Red V Member you can belong, connect and commit to your club, and become an integral part of the Dragons.

Here is what some of our Red V Members love about the program:

"I love my Red V Membership because it lets me feel like I'm part of the team! I have been a member for nine years and will continue to be in the future! I also love the merchandise discounts and feeling like I am contributing to the club the best way I can" – Ashley Allen.

"Red V is all about great people coming together to show our mutual love for the Dragons through the highs and lows" – Alex Suttie.

"I love that it allows the family to go to all games at a good price as well as get discounts on all our favourite gear" – Hayley Clarke.

Members Choice is back in 2017 too. You can choose between the popular ISC Members Cap and the new and exclusive Dragons Member Scarf. Or for those young at heart a Kids Pack with a bucket hat, drawstring sports bag, autograph book and lanyard is available.

Also new in 2017 is the option to purchase an additional Member Benefit Item – so if you love your ISC Member Cap but also want to keep warm with the Members Scarf, you can select one and purchase the other as an additional item.

Don’t forget to select your Members Choice item when purchasing your Red V Membership.

In 2017 the enhanced Red V program will feature improvements based directly on feedback from members to deliver greater flexibility, increased value and an expanded loyalty program.

Exclusive member benefits remain the foundation of member investment, including the best value tickets, savings on merchandise, access to players, exclusive member events and exclusive benefit items together with all that is new in 2017.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/02/07/get_your_name_on_the.html

getsmarty

Immortal
What Jai Field lacks in size he makes up in raw speed
  • February 7, 2017 6:37am
  • Source: AAP
YOUNG gun Jai Field is shaping as the unlikely kid that could reignite St George Illawarra’s attack and save Paul McGregor’s NRL coaching career.

The Dragons may have failed to make the finals of the Auckland Nines, but that didn’t prevent tongues wagging over Field’s scorching exploits in the short format.

The former junior state sprint champ burned some of the NRL’s biggest names at Eden Park, including Manly winger Jorge Taufua in a spectacular 90-metre effort. Taufua attempted to shield Field back infield but the 19-year-old instead opted to squeeze through a narrow gap along the sideline.

“I had a couple of metres,” Field said.

“You step and lose your speed, so I just tried to keep going in the speed and get around him which, luckily for me, that time I did.”

It was the kind of fast-twitch thinking that could finally bring some sorely needed spark to an attack that only scored more points than Newcastle in 2016. Field is strongly being considered at halfback for McGregor after first-choice No. 7 Drew Hutchison blew his knee during the off-season.

3aba0f8dff48802fcd2a8639713c80c4

Jai Field turns on the jets during a St George training session. Picture: Brett CostelloSource: News Corp Australia
And even though he’s likely to be making his debut well under 80kg, Field knows exactly why McGregor would bring him into the line-up.

“He’s never had an issue with my size. He’s in love with my speed,” Field said. “He lets me work on my speed and other skills. The weight will come. I started the pre-season at 73kg, so I’ve put on 5-6kg in the pre-season so far.

“Weight-wise I don’t think I’ve had a real issue yet in the nines, it’s a bit more spread out so you can tackle people side on.

“Thirteen-a-side I think it’ll be a bigger test. You have to make more tackles there, get more traffic defending as a half. I’ll wait to see how that step goes.”

Field revealed he had run a 40-metre time of 4.6 seconds in the pre-season, faster than what has previously been clocked for James Roberts and Marika Koroibete.

Michael Jennings and James Tedesco have also been timed at just under five. “I’ve medalled in state a few times and I was also a nippers sprinter as well. I was doing that, and won medals all over the place for the surf club,” Field said.

“I was naturally fast growing up. When I was little, I was the same size as everyone. But I stayed small so I gave that away when I was racing men with moustaches and big beards when I was 13 years old.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/wha...d/news-story/93f157c3e3759e96494ca56b8455547c

getsmarty

Immortal
Cutters Team List: Trial v Wyong Roos
Blake Edwards

Wed 8th February, 05:00PM
A A

1486540703199.jpg

Illawarra Cutters coach Mat Head has named his squad for the upcoming trial fixture against the Wyong Roos at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on February 11.

The Cutters are coming off a 12-all draw against the Blacktown Sea Eagles and will be looking to build on that heading into their clash this weekend.

With limited members of the NRL squad available for this clash, the Cutters have again called upon some talented youngsters from the local region and the Dragons’ NYC squad.

This fixture will precede St George Illawarra Dragons’ clash with the Wests Tigers, with kick off scheduled for 5:45pm.

Illawarra Cutters Team:

1. Tristan Sailor
2. Rob Buaserau
3. Keelyn Tuuta-Edwards
4. Addison Demeterou
5. Izaac Thompson
6. Joey Lovodua
7. Delayne Ashby
8. Rhys Kennedy
9. Reece Robson
10. Josh Kerr
11. Chris Lewis
12. Jesse Dee
13. Jacob Hind
14. Nathan Ford
15. Jack Noble
16. Blake Phillips
17. TJ Uele
18. Kal Collins
19. Luke Sutton
20. Israel Soufflé

I98FM Challenge – Dragons v Wests Tigers Trial

Saturday 11 February 2017

Gates Open: 5.30pm

NSW Cup: Cutters v Wyong Roos 5.45pm Kick off

NRL: Dragons v Wests Tigers 7.40pm kick off

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/02/08/cutters_team_list_tr.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Field of Dreams
Thu 9th February, 04:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons playmaker Jai Field has described his maiden voyage into first grade football at the Auckland Nines as a "dream come true".

Field is currently competing alongside Josh McCrone, Kurt Mann and Shaun Nona for the Dragons' No. 7 jumper following Drew Hutchison's unfortunate season-ending knee injury.

The Shellharbour Sharks junior also spoke of how he is preparing for the defensive aspects he'll have to confront over the coming season.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/02/09/field_of_dreams.af_news.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Kurt Mann puts his hand up for Dragons halfback role as crucial trials approach

• February 10, 2017 12:30pm
  • Ben Glover@glover_benny
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
EXCITEMENT machine Jai Field is the name on the lips of every Dragons fan as we head into trial season with the most open race for a halfback jersey the club has had in years.

Field has long been considered a big prospect for the future but a sizzling Auckland Nines campaign has got many thinking his development should be fast tracked with the No.7 jersey for round one.

It’s the latest twist in what’s been an intriguing storyline since the departure of Benji Marshall at the end of last season.

The signing of Ben Hunt on a long-term deal starting next season is another subplot to throw in the mix, with whoever wins the halfback role for this season likely just to be warming his seat.

That won’t bother Field, who at 19 is champing at the bit for an opportunity.

Standing in his way are former Country Origin rep Josh McCrone as well as last year’s star in the Illawarra Cutters’ run to the Intrust Super Premiership NSW title, Shaun Nona.

The name that seems to have slipped under the radar is Kurt Mann.

After a difficult start to 2016 — banished to reserve grade after a shocker in the No.1 jersey just two rounds into the season — Mann slowly rebuilt his confidence and finished the year back in first grade.

He wants to draw a line under the challenging start to his Dragons career and is keen for first crack at the halfback role.

For what it’s worth, he wore the No.7 at the Auckland Nines and played a starring role in his side’s only victory, scoring the winning try to condemn the Warriors to a winless campaign in front of their home fans.

That after a strong pre-season and Mann is confident he can be the solution to the Dragons’ biggest problem.

“I’d like to give it a crack,” Mann told foxsports.com.au.

“I’ve spoken to ‘Mary’ (Paul McGregor) about playing a few different spots. I’ve told him I’d prefer to play fullback or in the halves but with my skillset I can sort of sit anywhere.

“I’ve played centre before and I’ve played on the wing, so yeah, I’m not sure what’s going to happen just yet. I’ll have to wait for trials and see what happens.

“But I’ve definitely got my eye on that No.7 jersey.”

McGregor has fielded an endless stream of questions this off-season about who will play halfback this year but has chosen to keep the debate rolling rather than coming out early to back his chosen horse.

That puts the club’s two trials — this Saturday against the Wests Tigers and next Sunday’s Charity Shield — in sharp focus and McGregor has named all four of his halfback candidates in the squad for this Saturday.

7b0bdac1ea6180700ddc2f4dc517e686

Kurt Mann successfully wore the Dragons’ No.9 jersey at the Nines.Source: Getty Images
Mann is full of hope but he admits to being excited to watch Field find his feet in first grade, potentially as a teammate this year.

“He’s a really exciting young kid,” Mann said. “To go with that, off the field he’s a really great bloke.

“I get along with him and all the boys do, so it’ll be real good. He’s got a big future in front of him.

“I think he’s just got to take his time, get his body right and he’ll go a real long way.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...h/news-story/7bd478cdee171ce0033ab55630a0aea0

getsmarty

Immortal
Match Report: Cutters Trial v Wyong Roos
Sun 12th February, 08:00AM
A A

1486857372343.jpg

The Illawarra Cutters' 2017 preparations have hit a snag following their 32-20 loss to the Wyong Roos on Saturday night at WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

Played over 25-minute thirds, it looked good early once Tristan Sailor helped the Cutters to an early lead when he put Izaac Thompson over in the corner in the sixth minute.

Wyong hit back five minutes later when they scored off a simple play from hooker Alex Langbridge.

The Cutters regained the lead in the 16th minute when Addison Demeterou crossed in the corner to make it an 8-6 lead.

Two tries just before the end of the first-third saw Wyong regain the lead and head into the break 18-8 up.

Two tries either side of the second-third from winger Rob Basueru were counteracted by two Wyong tries in between, leaving the score the Roos' way 26-20 by the second break.

Another two tries from the Roos in the final-third put the result in no doubt, but there was some relief for the Cutters when Sailor scored four minutes from full-time.

Wyong Roos 38 defeated Illawarra Cutters 20 (Rob Basueru 2, Izaac Thompson, Addison Demeterou, Tristan Sailor tries; Addison Demeterou 2 goals) at WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/02/12/match_report_cutters.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Lafai: One Step Closer
Mon 13th February, 09:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra centre Tim Lafai put his best foot forward during the Dragons' 20-10 win over the Wests Tigers in the i98FM Challenge on Saturday night at WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

Lafai scored a try just before half-time in the 10-point win, making the battle for centre spots even more enticing ahead of next weekend's Charity Shield against the Rabbitohs.

Lafai shared scoring honours with Kalifa Faifai Loa, Jai Field and co-captain Tariq Sims against the Tigers

Sims also offered his thoughts on the ongoing halves battle at the Dragons.

"I think our halves depth is great. I think it's really healthy competition. There's only one way for them to get that spot and that's to play their best footy week-in, week-out," Sims said.

"Josh (McCrone) has that old head on his shoulders and he really knows how to steer the ship around.

"Gareth (Widdop) is our skipper and our leader and as for young Jai Field, he's one of those exciting players who is learning to play with men. The only way is up for that young fella as long as long he keeps healthy and keeps learning."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/02/13/lafai_one_step_close.html

possm

Coach
Lafai: One Step Closer
Mon 13th February, 09:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra centre Tim Lafai put his best foot forward during the Dragons' 20-10 win over the Wests Tigers in the i98FM Challenge on Saturday night at WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

Lafai scored a try just before half-time in the 10-point win, making the battle for centre spots even more enticing ahead of next weekend's Charity Shield against the Rabbitohs.

Lafai shared scoring honours with Kalifa Faifai Loa, Jai Field and co-captain Tariq Sims against the Tigers

Sims also offered his thoughts on the ongoing halves battle at the Dragons.

"I think our halves depth is great. I think it's really healthy competition. There's only one way for them to get that spot and that's to play their best footy week-in, week-out," Sims said.

"Josh (McCrone) has that old head on his shoulders and he really knows how to steer the ship around.

"Gareth (Widdop) is our skipper and our leader and as for young Jai Field, he's one of those exciting players who is learning to play with men. The only way is up for that young fella as long as long he keeps healthy and keeps learning."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/02/13/lafai_one_step_close.html
No mention of Mann by Sims. I was of the opinion that Mann would be the front runner.

getsmarty

Immortal
Nene's Massive Month
Thu 16th February, 02:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons winger Nene Macdonald hasn’t had your ordinary pre-season since arriving at the Club in November.

Not only is Macdonald one of the Dragons’ newest recruits, the Papua New Guinea international has successfully completed a Queensland Origin Emerging Squad camp while also playing for the NRL World All Stars last week in Newcastle.

Throw in the fact he represented the Red V at the Auckland Nines – and with the Charity Shield to come this Sunday afternoon against South Sydney at ANZ Stadium – you can understand why Macdonald was starting to miss his own bed.

1487218184782.jpg

1487218215474.jpg

2017 ALLSTARS - Mens Indigenous Allstars v World Allstars, at Miranda - Jones Stadium Newcastle. Friday February 10th 2017. Pic - Grant Trouville :copyright: NRL Photos

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/02/16/nene_s_massive_month.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Vaughan's Eyes On Charity Shield
Fri 17th February, 11:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra recruit Paul Vaughan is excited to make his Dragons debut at this weekend's Charity Shield against the South Sydney Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium, Olympic Park.

Vaughan also discussed the South Sydney forward pack and how he plans on staking his claim for a Round 1 berth against the Penrith Panthers.

The Gungahlin Bulls junior also spoke about his week in Newcastle with the NRL World All Stars and the importance of the All Stars fixture as a whole.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/02/17/vaughan_s_eyes_on_ch.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Milne out to build on 2016

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

17 Feb 2017, 12:44 p.m.
r0_0_3220_2147_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STEPPING UP: Young Dragons centre Taane Milne says his debut season in the NRL was a steep learning curve. Picture: Adam McLean

IT was certainly a roller coaster year but young Dragons centre Taane Milne believes he took major strides on and off the field in 2016.

The former Junior Kiwi joined the Dragons last year after being let go by the Roosters for some lapses in small disciplines.

He was handed and NRL debut in round eight against his former club but it proved brief after he was knocked out cold in a collision with Rooster forward Dyland Napa.

He had to produce some strong performances for the Illawarra Cutters and wait until round 20 for another opportunity but made the most of it with a strong finish to the season. It puts him in the box seat to keep his spot on the right edge in 2017, though he’s learned not take such things for granted.

“Back in the day I thought I just had to turn up to training go through the motions and then play one the weekend,’ Milne said.

“When you get to first grade it’s a lot different to that, everyone’s got that talent but they work hard.

“It’s not just talent that gets you there, you’ve got to do the work as well.

“I think I’ve really taken big steps in that direction and I’ve taken a lot of confidence out of last year.

“It was good to get the debut against the old club but Napa got me a good shot.

“I had to wait seven or eight weeks after that so I was just happy to get that game out and play a few at the end of the year.

“There’s a lot of good players in our team and a lot of competition so you’re not just going to walk in there and take a spot. Every week everyone’s playing for a spot and I know that now.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4475157/milne-out-to-build-on-2016/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Cutters defeated in ISP trial
Blake Edwards

Mon 20th February, 01:00PM
A A

1487556769551.jpg

The Illawarra Cutters were defeated 20-18 in their final pre-season trial against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at WIN Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Both sides found the line in the opening 20 minutes before play was suspended due to a severe storm, which produced large hailstones and heavy rainfall.

At this time the Cutters held a slim 6-4 lead courtesy of a try to hooker Siliva Havili.

The players returned to the field shortly after but were forced to leave it again due to nearby lightning. It didn't prevent the Bulldogs regaining the lead at 10-6 just prior to the forced break though.

The lengthy break didn't favour the Cutters, with the Bulldogs scoring within the first five minutes of play resuming to extend their lead to 16-6.

10 minutes later, the Cutters scored through winger Izaac Thompson as the deficit was cut back to four points.

A short time later, utility Keelyn-Tuuta Edwards found some space to race over for the Cutters' third try of the afternoon. Nona slotted the goal to give the Cutters a 18-16 lead heading into the final quarter.

While the final quarter was ultimately scrappy for the few brave souls present, a final burst of energy from the Bulldogs saw them steal a 20-18 victory at the death.

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 20 defeated Illawarra Cutters 18 (Siliva Havili, Izaac Thompson, Keelyn-Tuuta Edwards tries; Nona 3/3 goals) at WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/02/20/cutters_defeated_in_.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Marketo happy to continue utility role

Local Sport>Mitch Jennings20 Feb 2017, 10:42 a.m.
/
r0_208_3991_2453_w848_h477_fmax.jpg

MR FIXIT: Dragons utility Jake Marketo is happy to play any role in the Dragons line-up as he continues his career resurgence during the 2017 season. Picture: Adam McLean

DRAGONS utility Jake Marketo likes to joke that he’s been honing his kicking game in an effort to claim the club’s vacant No. 7 jumper but there’s certainly truth to the fact that he will play wherever he’s required in 2017.

Marketo is the first to admit that his attitude was not what it needed to be when he first came into first grade in 2010 as an NYC star, but has been a model professional in the club’s past two campaigns since being thrown a lifeline by the club prior to the 2015 season.

Marketo has proven a handy Mr Fixit for coach Paul McGregor given his versatility and he may well be called on to fill that role again come round one after fellow utility Will Matthews dislocated his hip in Sunday’s Charity Shield loss.

The 28-year-old said he’s happy to play the role again if it means a regular spot in a more versatile Dragons pack this season.

“I’m hating the contact sessions at training at the the moment,” Marketo said.

“Big Mose [Masoe’s] come back, Russell [Packer’s] there, Leeson [Ah Mau], Paul Vaughan, they’re not the funnest guys to tackle but luckily they’re on our side. It’s a good mixture at the moment of a bit of skill and some very powerful guys.

“As I’ve always said, for me, it’s about where I’m the best for for the team. If that means coming off the bench in a utility role if someone goes down, whatever needs to be done for the team.

“I’ve just got to keep concentrating at training, keep training hard and hopefully Mary puts me in the team [for round one] and we can go from there.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4478529/marketo-an-anywhere-man/

Drakon

Juniors
516637396-696x385.jpg

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 20: Josh Dugan of the Dragons runs the ball during the round three NRL match between the St George Dragons and the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Sydney Cricket Ground on March 20, 2016 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)
Josh Dugan just isn’t a fullback
Jack Blyth
-
February 20, 2017 - 4:46 pm
The Dragons suffered a 32-14 loss to South Sydney in this year’s Charity Shield, with St. George Illawarra once again flailing in attack. Unfortunately, Josh Dugan didn’t do much to help them.

Dugan’s running game was strong as usual across the match, busting tackles and escaping the in-goal on multiple occasions. He even handed a rare try-assist for Nene Macdonaldto score, managing as many try-assists in the Charity Shield as he had in the entire 2016 season – one.

TOP STORIES

Is the Bulldogs' 2017 season a lost cause?
RUGBY LEAGUE

Tim Simona set to be banned after gambling on NRL games
RUGBY LEAGUE

Injuries aplenty during NRL trials
RUGBY LEAGUE

Dugan’s hail mary around-the-front flick was a beauty, but it had ‘centre’ written all over it. He runs strong lines, solid defensively and blessed with speed, but Dugan just can’t seem to pass the footy. Playing as a custodian, Dugan is really damaging the Dragon’s attack, but it sure helps his wallet.

A New South Wales and Kangaroos incumbent, Dugan is an elite player of the game. While he played centre for both rep teams at centre, playing at fullback for the Red V truly expands his earning potential.

Fullback in the modern era is valued as one of the most crucial positions, some demanding $800,000 per season and above on the open market. At a club lacking spark and genuine, elite players, Dugan could command close to $900,000 a year in Wollongong. Compare that to centre, now one of the lesser valued positions, who earn around $400,000 a season, a substantial drop. Remaining in the number one jersey could see Dugan make an extra $2 million in the next five years, but at what cost?

Turning 27 in a few months time, Dugan is entering a time in his career when he needs to question, what’s more important, money or a premiership?

‘Duges’ has only played five finals matches in his career, with club success a notable absence on his CV. And if a premiership ring is truly on his mind, then it’s time for him to step aside. Young gun Matt Dufty impressed many in the Auckland Nines, with big things being touted for the Dragon’s junior.

Known for his lightning feet, it’s his ball-playing that demands attention from rivals, having a hand in over 20 tries in the Holden Cup in 2016, as well as scoring 23 of his own. It’s this kind of injection of youth, speed and smarts that could kick start the Dragon’s rebuild. A centre pairing of Dugan and Aitken with wingers Nene Macdonald and Jason Nightingale out wide wreaks of success, but Paul McGregor needs to be brave enough to make the move.

Ben Hunt’s arrival at the club in 2018 should improve their attack in leaps and bounds, but that’s still twelve months away for the struggling side. With Josh Dugan off-contract at the end of 2017, St George Illawarra have a big decision to make. They can’t re-sign Dugan at $900K if he’s going to play centre, and they can’t expect to improve too much with him at fullback.

Matt Dufty remains sidelined for a couple of weeks with a meniscus tear, guaranteeing Dugan will start the year at the back. But with Dufty expected back on the field within the next month, it’s time for the Dragons to be brave.

https://www.zerotackle.com/josh-dugan-just-isnt-fullback-25504/

BringTheNoise

Juniors
516637396-696x385.jpg

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 20: Josh Dugan of the Dragons runs the ball during the round three NRL match between the St George Dragons and the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Sydney Cricket Ground on March 20, 2016 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)
Josh Dugan just isn’t a fullback
Jack Blyth
-
February 20, 2017 - 4:46 pm
The Dragons suffered a 32-14 loss to South Sydney in this year’s Charity Shield, with St. George Illawarra once again flailing in attack. Unfortunately, Josh Dugan didn’t do much to help them.

Dugan’s running game was strong as usual across the match, busting tackles and escaping the in-goal on multiple occasions. He even handed a rare try-assist for Nene Macdonaldto score, managing as many try-assists in the Charity Shield as he had in the entire 2016 season – one.

TOP STORIES

Is the Bulldogs' 2017 season a lost cause?
RUGBY LEAGUE

Tim Simona set to be banned after gambling on NRL games
RUGBY LEAGUE

Injuries aplenty during NRL trials
RUGBY LEAGUE

Dugan’s hail mary around-the-front flick was a beauty, but it had ‘centre’ written all over it. He runs strong lines, solid defensively and blessed with speed, but Dugan just can’t seem to pass the footy. Playing as a custodian, Dugan is really damaging the Dragon’s attack, but it sure helps his wallet.

A New South Wales and Kangaroos incumbent, Dugan is an elite player of the game. While he played centre for both rep teams at centre, playing at fullback for the Red V truly expands his earning potential.

Fullback in the modern era is valued as one of the most crucial positions, some demanding $800,000 per season and above on the open market. At a club lacking spark and genuine, elite players, Dugan could command close to $900,000 a year in Wollongong. Compare that to centre, now one of the lesser valued positions, who earn around $400,000 a season, a substantial drop. Remaining in the number one jersey could see Dugan make an extra $2 million in the next five years, but at what cost?

Turning 27 in a few months time, Dugan is entering a time in his career when he needs to question, what’s more important, money or a premiership?

‘Duges’ has only played five finals matches in his career, with club success a notable absence on his CV. And if a premiership ring is truly on his mind, then it’s time for him to step aside. Young gun Matt Dufty impressed many in the Auckland Nines, with big things being touted for the Dragon’s junior.

Known for his lightning feet, it’s his ball-playing that demands attention from rivals, having a hand in over 20 tries in the Holden Cup in 2016, as well as scoring 23 of his own. It’s this kind of injection of youth, speed and smarts that could kick start the Dragon’s rebuild. A centre pairing of Dugan and Aitken with wingers Nene Macdonald and Jason Nightingale out wide wreaks of success, but Paul McGregor needs to be brave enough to make the move.

Ben Hunt’s arrival at the club in 2018 should improve their attack in leaps and bounds, but that’s still twelve months away for the struggling side. With Josh Dugan off-contract at the end of 2017, St George Illawarra have a big decision to make. They can’t re-sign Dugan at $900K if he’s going to play centre, and they can’t expect to improve too much with him at fullback.

Matt Dufty remains sidelined for a couple of weeks with a meniscus tear, guaranteeing Dugan will start the year at the back. But with Dufty expected back on the field within the next month, it’s time for the Dragons to be brave.

https://www.leagueunlimited.com/josh-dugan-just-isnt-fullback-25504/

What an absolutely garbage article, even by rugby league standards.

Firstly, to imply that Dugan prefers to play fullback simply to increase his earning potential is insulting. He's on the record a number of times saying he will do what's best for the team. He's even openly stated a preference to play in the centres.

Secondly, to suggest that Dugan as an incumbent Australian and NSW player could only earn around $400k as a centre is so far off the mark it's laughable.

getsmarty

Immortal
Introducing Red V Rewards
Tue 21st February, 02:00PM
A A

1487647677583.jpg

The 2017 Red V Membership program is now better than ever!

We’ve listened to members and based the 2017 program directly on member feedback, research and insights to deliver members with greater flexibility, increased value and an enhanced loyalty program.

Membership is about more than just a ticket to the game and we look forward to you experiencing all the flexibility and value that the 2017 Red V program offers.

Loyal members are the lifeblood of the Dragons and in 2017 we’ve enhanced our program to deliver value to those who commit to the Red V.

In addition to two, five and 10 year loyalty pins, the 10-year-plus Member Event are supported by our merchandise discount structure that rewards your loyalty and tenure.

· One to four-year members receive a 10 per cent discount; while,

· Members for over five years are entitled to 15 per cent discount.

In 2017 Red V Members will also enjoy Red V Rewards – simply show your Red V Member card for instant local discounts at a range of national suppliers and local cafes, restaurants, movies, retail, grocery, health and beauty and home and garden stores as well as leisure, entertainment activities.

Visit www.redvrewards.com.au to search and navigate on the mobile optimised site for discounts, either by category or region.

Red V members have also had pre-sale opportunities and VIP entry at premium entertainment events including Adele Live 2017 and the V8 Superstars.

Belong, Connect & Commit in 2017 – to renew or join visit www.marchwithus.com.au.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/02/21/introducing_red_v_re.html

emu62

Juniors
Introducing Red V Rewards
Tue 21st February, 02:00PM
A A

1487647677583.jpg

The 2017 Red V Membership program is now better than ever!

We’ve listened to members and based the 2017 program directly on member feedback, research and insights to deliver members with greater flexibility, increased value and an enhanced loyalty program.

Membership is about more than just a ticket to the game and we look forward to you experiencing all the flexibility and value that the 2017 Red V program offers.

Loyal members are the lifeblood of the Dragons and in 2017 we’ve enhanced our program to deliver value to those who commit to the Red V.

In addition to two, five and 10 year loyalty pins, the 10-year-plus Member Event are supported by our merchandise discount structure that rewards your loyalty and tenure.

· One to four-year members receive a 10 per cent discount; while,

· Members for over five years are entitled to 15 per cent discount.

In 2017 Red V Members will also enjoy Red V Rewards – simply show your Red V Member card for instant local discounts at a range of national suppliers and local cafes, restaurants, movies, retail, grocery, health and beauty and home and garden stores as well as leisure, entertainment activities.

Visit www.redvrewards.com.au to search and navigate on the mobile optimised site for discounts, either by category or region.

Red V members have also had pre-sale opportunities and VIP entry at premium entertainment events including Adele Live 2017 and the V8 Superstars.

Belong, Connect & Commit in 2017 – to renew or join visit www.marchwithus.com.au.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/02/21/introducing_red_v_re.html

The only reward i am interested in is the team playing some entertaining ,competitive football

getsmarty

Immortal
Vaughan doesn’t mince words following Charity Shield defeat

Local Sport>Mitch Jennings21 Feb 2017, 11:45 a.m.
/
r0_96_3000_1784_w848_h477_fmax.jpg

Paul Vaughan wasn't happy with his side's Charity Shield performance.

DRAGONS prop Paul Vaughan has provided a blunt appraisal of his first game for his new club in Sunday’s Charity Shield, saying it was disappointing on the personal front.

The Dragons trailed the Rabbitohs by just six points at halftime but were comprehensively outplayed in the second half to ultimately go down 32-14.

Coach Paul McGregor and skipper Gareth Widdop weren’t panicking post-match but Vaughan conceded there was plenty of room for improvement before their round one clash with Penrith.

“It was a little bit disappointing to be honest,” Vaughan said.

“On a personal note I wasn’t happy with that game and we’re probably just lucky that game didn’t count for two points.

“As a whole there were some positive signs but I wasn’t happy with my game and there’s a lot of room for improvement personally. I’ve got to go back to the training paddock and work on some things.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4482089/vaughan-doesnt-mince-words/

Latest posts