What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
2017 NRL Telstra Premiership launched
Thu 23rd February, 03:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop was on hand today as the 2017 NRL Telstra Premiership season was launched – as well as a new marketing campaign which highlights how fan power can help to create history.

Widdop was joined by grand final skippers in Cronulla's Paul Gallen and Melbourne’s Cameron Smith as well as representatives from the 13 other clubs and NRL CEO Todd Greenberg at Martin Place in Sydney.

The 2017 Telstra Premiership kicks off in one week when Gallen’s Sharks host the Brisbane Broncos on Thursday, March 2.

"Last season meant so much to the people of Cronulla and the Sutherland Shire," Gallen said at the launch.

"It showed that anything is possible if you believe. That together, history can happen."

Smith said: "It’s not the wins and losses that I remember most. It’s the people. It’s my teammates and coaches. It’s the opposition. And it’s you, the fans."

The Club Captains joined hundreds of supporters at Martin Place for the Season Launch and the official launch of the 2017 marketing campaign.

Mr Greenberg said recent history had proved how important the fans and members were to their teams’ fortunes.

"Our fans and members make a difference every week," Mr Greenberg said at the launch. "They all ride the highs and lows of every team; they celebrate every win and feel every defeat.

"The mantra for us this year is Let's Make History. It is fitting as it suggests a collective effort. Our fans, our players, our Clubs, are in the fight together.

"Our fans and members can and will make a difference to those incredible things that our superstars do on the field."

This year’s campaign is designed to evolve from the 2016 'History Happens' to a mantra of 'Let’s Make History', evoking a more collective feel.

Each vignette sees fans play a role in motivating the players while the campaign features a younger generation of players including Anthony Milford, Matt Moylan, Valentine Holmes, Aaron Woods and Adam Reynolds.

Agency Archibald/Williams shot live action of the players, mixed with some existing footage.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/02/23/_2017_nrl_telstra_pr.af_news.html

St Georgio

Juniors
Moore: Ben Hunt must go now
  • Stunning new claims about Simona's betting scandal | Ricky Stuart's salary cap suggestion

Hunt signed a five-year, $6 million deal with the Red V and will move south for the 2018 season.

After a below-par performance in the World Club Challenge last weekend, pressure has ratcheted up on Hunt, with Moore saying the situation could hinder Brisbane’s title aspirations.

“The Hunt issue has the potential to derail the Broncos,” Moore said.

“There is no other sport I know of that allows players 12 months in advance to sign elsewhere but stay on at their current club.

“If Hunt remains there this year and Brisbane go on to win the comp, well you can say that’s fantastic, but what happens if midyear the Broncos aren’t quite where they should be and Hunt isn’t at his best? Brisbane fans will find it really hard to swallow.”

While Broncos coach Wayne Bennett hasn’t announced his succession plans, Moore said the veteran should start planning immediately.

“It’s not right that a player like Ben Hunt should be at a club with everyone knowing that he is going to leave in 12 months,” he said.

“I have no issue with Ben, he has won Gold Lotto with his Dragons deal, so good luck to him, but the Broncos have to move forward.

“The sooner they find his successor at No.7, the better.

“The Broncos should look to the future now. Once a player decides his future is not at a certain club, there should be scope in the game’s rules for the player to move on immediately.

“At some point, Brisbane have to find a replacement so they may as well start now. The longer they take to fill the void, the more uncertainty will linger around the club
Sporting news

BrissyRedV

Bench
Moore: Ben Hunt must go now
  • Stunning new claims about Simona's betting scandal | Ricky Stuart's salary cap suggestion

Hunt signed a five-year, $6 million deal with the Red V and will move south for the 2018 season.

After a below-par performance in the World Club Challenge last weekend, pressure has ratcheted up on Hunt, with Moore saying the situation could hinder Brisbane’s title aspirations.

“The Hunt issue has the potential to derail the Broncos,” Moore said.

“There is no other sport I know of that allows players 12 months in advance to sign elsewhere but stay on at their current club.

“If Hunt remains there this year and Brisbane go on to win the comp, well you can say that’s fantastic, but what happens if midyear the Broncos aren’t quite where they should be and Hunt isn’t at his best? Brisbane fans will find it really hard to swallow.”

While Broncos coach Wayne Bennett hasn’t announced his succession plans, Moore said the veteran should start planning immediately.

“It’s not right that a player like Ben Hunt should be at a club with everyone knowing that he is going to leave in 12 months,” he said.

“I have no issue with Ben, he has won Gold Lotto with his Dragons deal, so good luck to him, but the Broncos have to move forward.

“The sooner they find his successor at No.7, the better.

“The Broncos should look to the future now. Once a player decides his future is not at a certain club, there should be scope in the game’s rules for the player to move on immediately.

“At some point, Brisbane have to find a replacement so they may as well start now. The longer they take to fill the void, the more uncertainty will linger around the club
Sporting news
Its a double edged sword. On the one side, it would be great to have him early and to have a halfback as well as decrease the Broncos depth at half. On the other side, I want Mary to have absolutely nothing to do with him. He is the worst coach we have ever had.

St Georgio

Juniors
Its a double edged sword. On the one side, it would be great to have him early and to have a halfback as well as decrease the Broncos depth at half. On the other side, I want Mary to have absolutely nothing to do with him. He is the worst coach we have ever had.
McWreckor will turn him into another Widdop!
Let me add every tom dick and hurry from the media are praying for him to fail because St George have bought him, which annoys the hell out of me, let just pray some common sense prevails and Hunt and McGregor never f**king meet!

Last edited:

BrissyRedV

Bench
McWreckor will turn him into another Widdop!
Let me add every tom dick and hurry from the media are praying for him to fail because St George have bought him, which annoys the hell out of me, let just pray some common sense prevails and Hunt and McGregor never f**king meet!
Agree completely. Mary and Hunt should never cross paths. He is already going to have the pressure on purely because the media will smash him for every little thing. It is vitally importatnt we get a good coach who will be able to take the pressure off him unlike McWrecker.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
For the record, Sporting News are probably just as bad as the 5th Tackle. Don't take stock into anything you read from that mob.

Old Timer

Coach
I just read an new article which I will leave Get Smarty to post as per his normal diligent way.
Before you read go and get your buckets.

getsmarty

Immortal
How Gareth Widdop’s game plan hinges on St George Illawarra Dragons’ halves call

• February 23, 2017 3:26pm
  • Simon Brunsdon@simonbrunsdon
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
GARETH Widdop admits he will need to alter his game plan depending on who his halves partner is this season.

Coach Paul McGregor is yet to decide who will wear St George Illawarra’s No. 7 jumper when the Dragons kick off their 2017 campaign against Penrith on Saturday week.

Josh McCrone and Jai Field are believed to be the only two players in contention for the halfback role.

McCrone is a “veteran” of 140 games who has failed to nail down a spot in the NRL over the past two years between Canberra and Wollongong.

Field is the 19-year-old whiz kid who lit up the Auckland Nines and has tongues wagging.

If Widdop does know which one will partner him next week, he’s not letting on.

“Obviously in the next few days Mary (McGregor) is going to make a decision,” Widdop said.

Get your free 2-week FOXTEL PLAY trial and start watching in minutes. SIGN UP NOW!

ba18c3251278998cf9ae5d0b4f57ae40

Matt Moylan of the Penrith Panthers and Gareth Widdop of the St George Illawarra Dragons pose for a photograph at the 2017 season launch.Source: AAP
“Josh McCrone and Jai Field have both played there so he’ll make a decision early on so we can prepare well for next week.”

And Widdop concedes he may need to adopt a different game plan to cater for his halves partner throughout the season.

Over 2016 Widdop was able to play the creative, running five-eighth role he savours, sticking largely on the left-hand side of the park.

Halfback Benji Marshall controlled the game and allowed his No. 6 to a little free rein.

Widdop says if Field plays, he may not be able to play that same brand of football.

ffea6546620ad2c556a17f5800b7a9bd

Jai Field of the Dragons.Source: News Corp Australia
“I guess Josh is well experienced, he’s played a lot of games whereas Jai is fresh into it,” Widdop said.

“No doubt when you’re a young kid you’re a little bit quiet, a little bit nervous, so I suppose (my role will change) a little bit.”

Field was one of the young stars who caught the eye of everyone during the Nines tournament earlier this month.

He scored a couple of scintillating tries and showed his natural speed and running game.

But if he does get called up to make his NRL debut next week he will no doubt need to play a more structured style of football.

c21dc17d4ec3a2715c11458e410cbefb

Josh McCrone of the Dragons.Source: Getty Images
Either way, Widdop is excited to see the teenager make the step up.

“Obviously Jai is a special talent but it’s still early on so he’s got plenty more pre-seasons ahead of him to get his body right,” he said.

“He’s a great young talent.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...l/news-story/411d05d9a2e3be194d3861c8952bc850

hillbillyserb

Juniors
Eels new board
Compare that to our lot

Sean McElduff, Westpac’s chief operating officer for financial markets;

* Anthony Shiner, executive director of digital for Telstra;

* Colin Robertshaw, who until recently was the Commonwealth Bank’s head of property finance;

* Michael McRitchie, former CEO of Centrebet before it was taken over by the Sportsbet empire;

* Vicki Leaver, an executive director at Legal Aid NSW;

* Jim Sarantinos, partner at financial restructuring firm Ferrier Hodgson, and;

* Donnelly himself, who remains as chairman.

Dragsters

First Grade
How Gareth Widdop’s game plan hinges on St George Illawarra Dragons’ halves call

• February 23, 2017 3:26pm
  • Simon Brunsdon@simonbrunsdon
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
GARETH Widdop admits he will need to alter his game plan depending on who his halves partner is this season.

Coach Paul McGregor is yet to decide who will wear St George Illawarra’s No. 7 jumper when the Dragons kick off their 2017 campaign against Penrith on Saturday week.

Josh McCrone and Jai Field are believed to be the only two players in contention for the halfback role.

McCrone is a “veteran” of 140 games who has failed to nail down a spot in the NRL over the past two years between Canberra and Wollongong.

Field is the 19-year-old whiz kid who lit up the Auckland Nines and has tongues wagging.

If Widdop does know which one will partner him next week, he’s not letting on.

“Obviously in the next few days Mary (McGregor) is going to make a decision,” Widdop said.

Get your free 2-week FOXTEL PLAY trial and start watching in minutes. SIGN UP NOW!

ba18c3251278998cf9ae5d0b4f57ae40

Matt Moylan of the Penrith Panthers and Gareth Widdop of the St George Illawarra Dragons pose for a photograph at the 2017 season launch.Source: AAP
“Josh McCrone and Jai Field have both played there so he’ll make a decision early on so we can prepare well for next week.”

And Widdop concedes he may need to adopt a different game plan to cater for his halves partner throughout the season.

Over 2016 Widdop was able to play the creative, running five-eighth role he savours, sticking largely on the left-hand side of the park.

Halfback Benji Marshall controlled the game and allowed his No. 6 to a little free rein.

Widdop says if Field plays, he may not be able to play that same brand of football.

ffea6546620ad2c556a17f5800b7a9bd

Jai Field of the Dragons.Source: News Corp Australia
“I guess Josh is well experienced, he’s played a lot of games whereas Jai is fresh into it,” Widdop said.

“No doubt when you’re a young kid you’re a little bit quiet, a little bit nervous, so I suppose (my role will change) a little bit.”

Field was one of the young stars who caught the eye of everyone during the Nines tournament earlier this month.

He scored a couple of scintillating tries and showed his natural speed and running game.

But if he does get called up to make his NRL debut next week he will no doubt need to play a more structured style of football.

c21dc17d4ec3a2715c11458e410cbefb

Josh McCrone of the Dragons.Source: Getty Images
Either way, Widdop is excited to see the teenager make the step up.

“Obviously Jai is a special talent but it’s still early on so he’s got plenty more pre-seasons ahead of him to get his body right,” he said.

“He’s a great young talent.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...l/news-story/411d05d9a2e3be194d3861c8952bc850

I would prefer mann at 6 and widdop or mccrone at 7 but it seems Mary can't see Manns obvious talent for whatever reason.

If Mary does grow a pair and go with Field then he must play at 6 imo and widdops role must indeed change to a game controller and option kicker.

This would then allow the only creative player of the pair, Field, to play his natural game and create opportunities for the backline to attack, support the big forward ball players sniffing for an offload or even break the line himself.

If Mary goes with mccrone then, well, nuff sed.

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop Ready For Action
Sat 25th February, 11:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop was on hand to help launch the 2017 NRL Telstra Premiership season this week.

Widdop was joined by grand final skippers in Cronulla's Paul Gallen and Melbourne’s Cameron Smith as well as representatives from the 13 other clubs and NRL CEO Todd Greenberg at Martin Place in Sydney on Thursday.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/02/25/widdop_ready_for_act.html

emu62

Juniors
Found it interesting that Widdop mentioned Hame first when quizzed on youth coming thru & ones to look out for

ALSGI

Bench
Found it interesting that Widdop mentioned Hame first when quizzed on youth coming thru & ones to look out for
Emu
Yes, this was blaringly obvious wasn't it.
That's because Field should have the 6 on his back although he did say Field was electrifying. No mention of any others (eg Dufty, Luciano, Host etc).
Interesting that she said from last year we lost "Benji your Captain" which made him pause.
All in all, another uninspiring, typical interview to get us all behind the team for round 1.
Can't see much change coming even though he mentioned change, improvement and learning from the Charity Shield they played "the other week".

Drakon

Juniors
Emu
Yes, this was blaringly obvious wasn't it.
That's because Field should have the 6 on his back although he did say Field was electrifying. No mention of any others (eg Dufty, Luciano, Host etc).
Interesting that she said from last year we lost "Benji your Captain" which made him pause.
All in all, another uninspiring, typical interview to get us all behind the team for round 1.
Can't see much change coming even though he mentioned change, improvement and learning from the Charity Shield they played "the other week".
ALSGI, I listened to it a couple of times and she actually said. 'You lost a couple of leaders in the group in Benji and um, you know, your captain......and then Widdop refers to Benji and Ben Creagh so I believe she was referring to Benji and Creagh.

It is interesting he mentioned Hame and the way he talked of Jai it looks like he won't be playing Round 1 or at least won't be starting but I guess we knew it would be McCrone. Yeh and no mention of Duff or Luce.

ALSGI

Bench
ALSGI, I listened to it a couple of times and she actually said. 'You lost a couple of leaders in the group in Benji and um, you know, your captain......and then Widdop refers to Benji and Ben Creagh so I believe she was referring to Benji and Creagh.

It is interesting he mentioned Hame and the way he talked of Jai it looks like he won't be playing Round 1 or at least won't be starting but I guess we knew it would be McCrone. Yeh and no mention of Duff or Luce.
Thanks Drakon, that clears that up. I almost listened a second time, actually queued it but just couldn't to it. You're a better man than me.
Yes I took the same about Field, doesn't sound like he'll be there any time soon.