What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARU could cut the Force loose opening up Perth

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah and the whole thing has turned out a disaster financially and fanwise, because of lack of planning and impatience.

So tests out of NIB(consultation with WA Govt) and NRL games and RLWC games (consultation with WA Govt)is an indication rugby league doesn't give a rat's road LOL.

Tests PAID for by the WA Govt, NRL games only held because Souths and Manly can make a profit from doing so. Its hardly like the NRL is contributing much to either is it?

Force has turned out a disaster because, thankfully, they keep employing terrible coaches and signing dud players. If they had the onfield success of the Melbourne Storm they would be the biggest Union club in Australia, we should be thankful they have been a management disaster on the playing front or RL would be dead in the water here by now. Take a look at their first three years for what they could have been. Rushing into it had nothing to do with it.

taipan

Referee
Tests PAID for by the WA Govt, NRL games only held because Souths and Manly can make a profit from doing so. Its hardly like the NRL is contributing much to either is it?

Force has turned out a disaster because, thankfully, they keep employing terrible coaches and signing dud players. If they had the onfield success of the Melbourne Storm they would be the biggest Union club in Australia, we should be thankful they have been a management disaster on the playing front or RL would be dead in the water here by now. Take a look at their first three years for what they could have been. Rushing into it had nothing to do with it.

If there had been no liaison by the NRL/RLWC Brown,I dare say little would have happened.

Have to disagree.The ARU overstretched themselves with expansion,There was not the playing talent available form day 1.Any union novice would know that.The union code has talent for 3 franchises in this country.There are so many plodders playing it's embarrassing.They jumped the gun and they stacked the Force with some decent players to the detriment of others.
The Reds probably had the strongest grassroots franchise of any of the union clubs,and they are losing money hand over fist.
" Biggest union club in Australia if they had the success of the Storm" .Going a bit overboard there mate.

Still...I'd like a Perth team. Super Dooper Saturday - 3pm, 5.30pm, 7.30pm, 9.30pm from Perth...f**king heaven!!!

flippikat

Bench
The sooner we have a NRL club in Perth the better.
That will also increase our TV money.

You know we have backwards looking administrators when the biggest competition (AFL) have local derbies in non-heartland areas for them (south-east Qld, Sydney), yet the NRL don't have a derby within their own heartland's 2nd city (ie 2 teams in Brisbane itself) - oh, and the AFL have derbies in ALL THEIR HEARTLAND CITIES too - Perth, Adelaide as well as Melbourne.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Like Taipan they are so inward looking and believe all will be well that they can't see the AFL juggernaut looming up behind them. But apparently the game only got 157k viewers in Sydney so what's the worry? Mean while RL continues to go nowhere fast. Crowds haven't shifted in over a decade, The game isnt growing hardly at grass roots, NRL clubs continue to be mismanaged to the point of being taken over by the governing body and Int RL continues to be an afterthought that most don't care about. The more things change in RL the more they stay the same.

Nerd

Bench
Maybe in Perth the AFL is going gang busters but I would like to report that up here in Queensland both the Suns and Lions have falling attendance numbers, abysmal ratings and are both being propped up financially by the AFL.

taipan

Referee
Like Taipan they are so inward looking and believe all will be well that they can't see the AFL juggernaut looming up behind them. But apparently the game only got 157k viewers in Sydney so what's the worry? Mean while RL continues to go nowhere fast. Crowds haven't shifted in over a decade, The game isnt growing hardly at grass roots, NRL clubs continue to be mismanaged to the point of being taken over by the governing body and Int RL continues to be an afterthought that most don't care about. The more things change in RL the more they stay the same.

You are clueless ,I spent my hard earned on international rl, sending funds to Germany and England to assist development work.I have been on a Kangaroo tour to support the game. I actually look outside the circle and want the code to grow.

I probably want expansion more than you,but firstly I want all current clubs financial.If there is any lesson to be learnt(and you appear not to),you relocate ,chop a club or merge a club,you lose fans,and these fans look to other sources of entertainment.That is why sunshine,the North Sydney area minus the Bears has become a hot bed for soccer/AFL and yawnion.
You sit over there in Donald Trump fashion ,making pronouncements without thought and without sometimes facts,just some BS.
Crowds were up marginally this year,and considering the Eels,Dragons,Roosters,Manly were basket cases at times that is remarkable.And the Dogs played very ordinary at times.

NRL clubs have and are getting new professional people on board.It is plainly obvious in your typical whining fashion, you have no idea about who Marty Gurr the new Eel's CEO is and his credentials,the new board at the Titans and Knights(includes Quayle) and the board at the West Tigers.
AFL crowds in Qld were well down,Vic AFL crowds were down as are their juniors.10 of their clubs are losing money.Their NZ intrusion was hardly a success.
QLD AFL this year was an unmitigated disaster.Why are you not bagging their admin?You can't see the woods for the trees.
AFL had the money in the kitty ,the NRL ATM does not.You obviously want some Sydney clubs to fold,to appease your expansion thirst.

What do you mean by hardly growing at grassroots? It either is or isn't .It is.
And you continually ignore TV monies yet to come in,continually ignore NRL control of scheduling,and are still unaware monies spent onTitans/Knights/West Tigers plus Dragons to assist financially.And ignore of course the NRL loss in 2012 not under the current admin.The Titans and Knights will be sold,do you understand that means money back to the NRL coffers.

Last edited:
All the while the insular NRL clubs are calling the tune Rugby League will remain behind the Anglo-Irish game in money terms. The AFL/NRL need to get 2 new clubs into the NRL as soon as possible and when theyd o watch the TV money rise.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We will be waiting till hell freezes over for all clubs to be financially sustainable. Hasn't happened in the century plus of RL existing and doubt the NRL throwing millions at them is going to change that. RL is not popular enough in Sydney for the amount of clubs in an over saturated modern sports market, outside of Sydney the game is so badly run either at club or NRL level that clubs are struggling to develop the fanbase and corporate support needed to be a $25mill revenue business.

But I am sure with this new big TV deal that will all be different in 5 years, just like we said it would by 2018 when they announced the last deal.

I seem to remember same people announcing how much better panthers would be with their new CEO. How did that work out? I hope eels one does well, they are a sleeping giant and one of then5-6 Sydney clubs that could actually thrive and be the big clubs that should be in the NRL.

taipan

Referee
We will be waiting till hell freezes over for all clubs to be financially sustainable. Hasn't happened in the century plus of RL existing and doubt the NRL throwing millions at them is going to change that. RL is not popular enough in Sydney for the amount of clubs in an over saturated modern sports market, outside of Sydney the game is so badly run either at club or NRL level that clubs are struggling to develop the fanbase and corporate support needed to be a $25mill revenue business.

But I am sure with this new big TV deal that will all be different in 5 years, just like we said it would by 2018 when they announced the last deal.

I seem to remember same people announcing how much better panthers would be with their new CEO. How did that work out? I hope eels one does well, they are a sleeping giant and one of then5-6 Sydney clubs that could actually thrive and be the big clubs that should be in the NRL.

Based on what "source?
Ok some facts which you appear not to have read .
From 2018 all clubs will receive an extra $100m pa until 2022.
Around $100m more pa to grassroots yup to state level.
Extra payments to clubs of $1.5m pa from 2016-2022 for improving operational side and commercial revenues
A grant of 130% of total player payments from 2018-2022.
Titans now in a strong position to be sold to a private consortium.
Knights will be sold later with strong interest.
West Tigers now with a new board and Wests Leagues with the money.Dragons owe the NRL a few million but that club is to be part sold to WIN.
Outside of Sydney ? What the Broncos,Cowboys,Raiders,Storm,Warriors are badly run LOL

The Panthers took on raw recruit and had no idea how to handle RLWCs,they have a Centre of Excellence the envy of other clubs and codes.That had zero to do with the short time CEO.They have a well organised and large junior base.

Since the last Tv deal expiring end 2017.
The code has Touch football under its wing,lobbying to get a new stadium in Townsville,and new stadiums and refurbished ones in Sydney.
Secured $40m for the State Govt to be used for infrastructure and centres of excellence for NRL clubs.Manly already involved.
The NSWRL has a $20m Centre of Excellence next to ANZ being developed.
Money to spend on Jillaroo players and female grassroots development.
Money expended on securing the future on the Titans/Knights/Tigers/Dragons.
$1.5m extra to each club from 2016-2022 for operational/commercial.
Money lent to the Sharks for legals involving ASADA running into a couple of million.
Reorganisation of the Eels football club under eventually business management.
Financial assistance to the Tigers for player payments,as their development never took off.
Money spent to assist rl in PNG and the Pacific Islands
Paying out an extra $5m pa on high flying NRL execs brought in by Smith,now gone.
Possible work on Bruce Stadium.
That's what I know about,there is more.To suggest since the prior Tv deal ending 2017 that nothing has changed is complete and utter BS.

If clubs receive 130% of their player payments from the ARLC,not all clubs will need $25m revenue and the ones that don't receive it will still survive.

OffTheLongRun

Juniors
Maybe in Perth the AFL is going gang busters but I would like to report that up here in Queensland both the Suns and Lions have falling attendance numbers, abysmal ratings and are both being propped up financially by the AFL.
This is true. I follow both codes and right now the two AFL franchises in SEQ are in big trouble, on and off the field. The Lions have just sacked a second consecutive club champion turned coach, after an abysmal season. The Suns are set to lose at least two star young players after their own horrible season, while the original drawcard superstar player (Ablett) is nearing the end of his own career. Both clubs losing money hand over fist.

Perth Red

Post Whore
what source? Historical evidence and laws of probability. Lets see if we are having this same discussion in another 5 years time when the next $1.5billion TV deal gets signed but the game cant grow as clubs are still struggling. My money is we will be but hopefully I am wrong. The game has been professional for 110 years in 2 countries and throughout its history it is littered with clubs going bust, financially struggling, going into administration, being kicked out of competitions due to financial problems etc. You'd hope at some point that would change and no better time than with all the income the game now has, lets see.

I never said nothing had changed. I said the fact the NRL still feels existing clubs are in so much strife they cant take the risk of expanding hasn't changed. Correct or incorrect?

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is true. I follow both codes and right now the two AFL franchises in SEQ are in big trouble, on and off the field. The Lions have just sacked a second consecutive club champion turned coach, after an abysmal season. The Suns are set to lose at least two star young players after their own horrible season, while the original drawcard superstar player (Ablett) is nearing the end of his own career. Both clubs losing money hand over fist.

Shame we don't have expansion to capitalise.

taipan

Referee
what source? Historical evidence and laws of probability. Lets see if we are having this same discussion in another 5 years time when the next $1.5billion TV deal gets signed but the game cant grow as clubs are still struggling. My money is we will be but hopefully I am wrong. The game has been professional for 110 years in 2 countries and throughout its history it is littered with clubs going bust, financially struggling, going into administration, being kicked out of competitions due to financial problems etc. You'd hope at some point that would change and no better time than with all the income the game now has, lets see.

I never said nothing had changed. I said the fact the NRL still feels existing clubs are in so much strife they cant take the risk of expanding hasn't changed. Correct or incorrect?

Historical evidence is no source for what is happening now in a sporting sphere!!!!,what the hell is that supposed to mean.Historical evidence suggests we would never have cars that run or park themselves.
Historical evidence showed rugby league professionally in this country relied on poker machine money to survive.Sponsorship and Tv income has changed that dramatically.Our clubs were run like personal fiefdoms in the past.
You are comparing cumquats with capsicums.
History is history,we learn from it , so as to change for a better future
Mate I know exactly what you have written and it means Perth now ,stuff clubs falling over.It's my way or the highway.
The NRL feels all clubs are entitled to be financially strong 1) because of Tv deals,2) because of the fans 3)because the code has lost too much tradition.
You can't expand successfully on a weak club financial base,unless you have the money behind you.