What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ash Nisbett - Dragons new signing looks very handy!

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Leilua was a standout in Under 20's as he was big, could unload and was quick off the mark with a gair bit of swerve and puppy fat. However sometimes his ball control was worrying doing stupid passes like Rein.
Host looks the goods and Leilua, Nesbitt and Morgan appear to be good back up and I would prefer them to Marketo, Mc Carthy and Matthews who had little upside and were stop gap players.

hermidale1

Juniors
Ash Nisbet is a Sharks junior. Played in the 20's up until they didn't want him. He moved to the Tigers, but couldn't get a run there for reasons unknown. He has signed with Dragons reserve grade this year on a one year deal as far as I am aware.Not in the top squad. This kid is still striving to get a run in a higher grade. Played Australian Schoolboys in 2014 with Host, Leilua, and Sele when they toured England.The thing in his favour is his tenacity. Some players take a little longer to bloom. Unfortunately everyone wants them to be in NRL as soon as they are signed. He probably will start the season down in the Carlton League, then make his way from there.

Vic Mackey

Referee
...I remember the same being said about Paul Vaughn, could not get a regular FG spot at Raiders look at him now. Cameron McInnes, same story ...
Recruitment have been doing a great job, and people on here are just never satisfied and quick to dump on the Club.

Dude he couldn’t get a run in reserve grade half the time.

I remember when the Dragons signed Matt Groat from us and there were dudes in here saying he'd end up being a better player then Woods, despite me telling them its unlikely he'd play first grade again

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
...I remember the same being said about Paul Vaughn, could not get a regular FG spot at Raiders look at him now. Cameron McInnes, same story ...
Recruitment have been doing a great job, and people on here are just never satisfied and quick to dump on the Club.

Well said flame thrower.

BennyV

Referee

I remember when the Dragons signed Matt Groat from us and there were dudes in here saying he'd end up being a better player then Woods, despite me telling them its unlikely he'd play first grade again
Yeah, you gotta expect that from some of those in here...I remember when people were glad to be rid of Brett Morris because we'd signed a Fijian porter from Panthers reserve grade who was supposedly going to not only fill his shoes, but improve the position!

As I mentioned, this Nisbett is well down the list of edge backrowers for us and wed have to be all kinds of f**ked up by injuries for his to be considered...

Draginzaaar

Bench

Ado-Carr couldn't get a run in the Tigers side either. Means nothing, maybe the Tigers don't know talent when they see it?

Vic Mackey

Referee
Ado-Carr couldn't get a run in the Tigers side either. Means nothing, maybe the Tigers don't know talent when they see it?

No doubt losing JAC was a disaster, and I said so at the time. However comparing a guy who played 9 games of first grade to one who was generally 18th man for a nsw cup side that lost most games by 40 is a bit of a stretch.

Spudd

Juniors
So on the basis of your posts and allowing for the fact you need 3 back rowers on the field and 2 on the bench who out of the following isn't the goods and should make way for Nisbett?
Thompson
Frizell
De Belin
Simms
Host
Sele
Leilua
I’m confused. Aren’t you the one screaming for us to give the young guys a go. He’s 20. Not young enough?

Old Timer

Coach
I’m confused. Aren’t you the one screaming for us to give the young guys a go. He’s 20. Not young enough?
Yes you are confused and I’m not sure why?
You seem to have missed the point.
Why buy someone else’s 20 year old when we have plenty of our own?
If this bloke is to get a run in 1st grade that means either Host, Sele or Leilua won’t so which one of those 3 don’t you want?
Don’t you think we should have a pathway for our own before providing one for outsiders?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
With all due respect, some people in here expect every signing we make to be a marquee player. Signing decent reserve graders is essential to a balanced squad. Nisbet will be on peanuts, we have nothing to lose.

100% agree.
IF this guy has been signed to the club its for reserve grade only. He is not part of (a) the top 30 or (b) part of the development squad.
Some people choose to ignore or are just oblivious to the fact that the structure changes to the NSW Cup requires us to fill 2 squads, 1st grade and reserve grade and the majority of the time will be the curtain raiser for 1t grade (not u20's in most cases)
So, lets take a look at what reserve grade will look like (most probable team).

f/b - Masters (or Field)
w - Periera/Garrick
c - Herbert/Lomax
6 - Field (or Sailor)
7 - Nicholls (c)
L - Sele
f/r - Latimore/Lawrie
2ndr - Leilua/Ford
h - Robson
Bench - Sailor (or Masters), Kerr, Allgood, Nisbett?

Personally, I want to see the make-up of the u20's squad before really passing judgement on this Nisbett inclusion. There were some good young forwards and backs that haven't been promoted to the D squad as yet. However, Millward did allude to the fact that others maybe included based on performance during the year.
So my guess is simply if Nisbett has been signed its only a filler until someone really starts to shine in the 20's and he will find himself playing coal league etc. Then again he may also be playing to earn himself a D contract.
The main point is that he is no threat at this present time to Host,Sele etc.

Old Timer

Coach
100% agree.
IF this guy has been signed to the club its for reserve grade only. He is not part of (a) the top 30 or (b) part of the development squad.
Some people choose to ignore or are just oblivious to the fact that the structure changes to the NSW Cup requires us to fill 2 squads, 1st grade and reserve grade and the majority of the time will be the curtain raiser for 1t grade (not u20's in most cases)
So, lets take a look at what reserve grade will look like (most probable team).

f/b - Masters (or Field)
w - Periera/Garrick
c - Herbert/Lomax
6 - Field (or Sailor)
7 - Nicholls (c)
L - Sele
f/r - Latimore/Lawrie
2ndr - Leilua/Ford
h - Robson
Bench - Sailor (or Masters), Kerr, Allgood, Nisbett?

Personally, I want to see the make-up of the u20's squad before really passing judgement on this Nisbett inclusion. There were some good young forwards and backs that haven't been promoted to the D squad as yet. However, Millward did allude to the fact that others maybe included based on performance during the year.
So my guess is simply if Nisbett has been signed its only a filler until someone really starts to shine in the 20's and he will find himself playing coal league etc. Then again he may also be playing to earn himself a D contract.
The main point is that he is no threat at this present time to Host,Sele etc.
The thread gets like it does because of people who post dumb shit things like posts 1, 4. 5 and 9 obviously talking Nesbitt up.
The rest is all push back against those posts.