What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ashes Predictions 2017/18

Bazal

Post Whore
Lehmann has said if players can make runs in Domestic cricket they'll be in with a shot for Ashes selection. If that's the case Daniel Hughes is doing his chances no harm.
Scores of 25, 56, 105, 68 and 122 so far. If he can do similar in Sheffield Shield he could be a bolter.

Rumblings getting louder. Batted really well in tough day/night conditions in Adelaide which will play in his favour, and Smith and Warner have publicly backed him.

I'd pick Cartwright but Hughes would be perfectly fine too.

Timbo

Staff member
Cartwright has done nothing wrong, was the incumbent #6 in the most recent home and away tests, scored runs in round 1 of the shield... and is somehow not being talked about at all by the press who are all on the Marsh wank train, or looking at smokies like Hughes or Stoinis.

I think the poor guy is starting to get pidgeon-holed as an all-rounder (the number of comments I've read about his not bowling in Rd 1 of the shield being a 'problem') when the reality is that he's a batsman who can bowl a little bit of medium pace.

Bazal

Post Whore
Cartwright has done nothing wrong, was the incumbent #6 in the most recent home and away tests, scored runs in round 1 of the shield... and is somehow not being talked about at all by the press who are all on the Marsh wank train, or looking at smokies like Hughes or Stoinis.

I think the poor guy is starting to get pidgeon-holed as an all-rounder (the number of comments I've read about his not bowling in Rd 1 of the shield being a 'problem') when the reality is that he's a batsman who can bowl a little bit of medium pace.

Even on here you had comments when he was picked along the lines of "we're still stuck with this all rounder obsession" or the hilarious "why pick an all rounder who doesn't even bowl?"

Err, maybe because he's not an all rounder? He deserves to stay in the side, he's looked ok in his games so far. If he can offer a few overs when needed, Ponting or Hussey style, then great. But FFS he's a batsman who can trundle a few solid overs out and I think that's much better than an all rounder in the side we have now.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Hughes was in some red hot form at the beginning of last season and cooled off as the season went on, seems to have picked up again now and is more consistent as he matures

He wont be far off, after all he a bluebagger

Timbo

Staff member
Tom Curran his replacement.

When in doubt, go for a South African eh England?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
We've also gone for a South African- Giggles Pietersen to join the plastic spastic, slats the sycophant, Crappelli, tubs, heals, nicholarse and clarkey in the box at nine.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Rumblings getting louder. Batted really well in tough day/night conditions in Adelaide which will play in his favour, and Smith and Warner have publicly backed him.

I'd pick Cartwright but Hughes would be perfectly fine too.
A 28 yr old who averages 36 with 3 first class centuries.

THREE.

I remember when blokes like Lehmann, Bevan and Hussey had 50+ 1st class tons but couldn't get a sniff into the test side.

RIP first class cricket.

Reactions: OVP

Bazal

Post Whore

THREE.

I remember when blokes like Lehmann, Bevan and Hussey had 50+ 1st class tons but couldn't get a sniff into the test side.

RIP first class cricket.

Meh. Swings and roundabouts. I remember when County cricket was basically a winter holiday training camp for first graders and Shield cricketers. You're not always going to have the quality of Bevan and Law and Boof and Love etc hanging around

Anyway Hughes has been a consistent fringe player who never really got much of a chance until he was 25. He's only played 17 FC games, the majority of them last year. So the stats are more than a little misleading, I'm pretty sure none of those blokes you mentioned had 50 tonnes after 17 matches....

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ashes Result: Australia 3-1

Most runs and how much: Smith 527

Most wickets and how much: Starc and Broad - 32 each

Cummins wickets: 4

Anderson wickets: 7

How many tests will Mathew Wade play this series?: 1

How many tests will Gary Ballance play this series?: 3

How many tests will Mitch Marsh play this series?: 3

How many run outs in the entire series?: 2

Number of centuries for the entire series (both sides): 10

Who will announce retirement during the ashes?: Cummins, after breaking down from another injury on Day 3 of the first Test

King hit

Coach

THREE.

RIP first class cricket.

Have you seen who they had to replace? And Bevan was a dissapointment in test matches

Timbo

Staff member
Have you seen who they had to replace? And Bevan was a dissapointment in test matches

Based upon early career form where he had to bat at 7 as an 'all rounder' when Tubby couldn't buy a run.

He then went back to first class cricket and scored 7,987,986,372,106 runs and couldn't get a mention.

Bazal

Post Whore
Based upon early career form where he had to bat at 7 as an 'all rounder' when Tubby couldn't buy a run.

He then went back to first class cricket and scored 7,987,986,372,106 runs and couldn't get a mention.

But but but he couldn't play the short ball despite scoring 437 billion FC runs and having a long and incredibly successful ODI career...

Tommy Smith

Referee
Maybe Bevo's exile was because he was a wanker.

I mean I've heard stories that he was a truly first rate plonker of a person.

Bazal

Post Whore
Maybe Bevo's exile was because he was a wanker.

I mean I've heard stories that he was a truly first rate plonker of a person.

Can't say I've heard the same, and quite a few Cricket ACT fellas know him pretty well. The bloke is renowned for speaking his mind and that might rub some people the wrong way but no one seems to have much of an issue with him around the place.

Latest posts