What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ask Oz

Shorty

Staff member
Hallatia, wearing heels increase your calf muscles because they're activated when you're walking or even standing in them.
So many chicks don't realise this, it's almost cute!

I think calf muscles are hot, I don't really get why so many girls don't like it!

I'm not even going to measure my waist... though I think some jeans I have are 34 inch waist.

Mine are annoyingly a bit bigger, do need to start doing something about it. At least I started during the early parts of the year. Good start too, down 4kgs I think.

ozbash

Referee
Mine are annoyingly a bit bigger, do need to start doing something about it. At least I started during the early parts of the year. Good start too, down 4kgs I think.

watch your diet, plenty of vegies/fruit.
walk at least 30 mins a day, more if you're able.

NEXT

Thomas

First Grade
Hallatia, long distance running will help. I think.

You don't have to do marathons, just start running longer. Apparently, and someone may be able to confirm this, if you run for a certain time at a certain intensity (something like 30-40 minutes and longer) your body switches from chewing fat to metabolising muscle.

This is why you'll never see a buffed long distance runner.

When I used to run half marathons I was as lean as anything. How I miss those days

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Hallatia, wearing heels increase your calf muscles because they're activated when you're walking or even standing in them.

I think calf muscles are hot, I don't really get why so many girls don't like it!

well thats it for me

looks like I'll have to ditch the high heels

Hallatia

Referee

should I cut down on the heels, or would it make little difference? I don't mind having calf muscles, it is just having them thisbig which I have a problem with
Hallatia, long distance running will help. I think.

You don't have to do marathons, just start running longer. Apparently, and someone may be able to confirm this, if you run for a certain time at a certain intensity (something like 30-40 minutes and longer) your body switches from chewing fat to metabolising muscle.

This is why you'll never see a buffed long distance runner.

When I used to run half marathons I was as lean as anything. How I miss those days
I have heard some of this stuff before, but how fast/long do I have to run before I start losing muscle instead of putting it on? And is that something I would have to work out with the treadmill? I already do a fair bit of walking and jogging as it is. I also heard that the speed which I generally walk at only makes them bigger, is there truth to that? I generally walk pretty fast
From the advice I've been given so far, it seems that I have been doing everything to make them bigger, and nothing to make them smaller...

Shorty

Staff member
Yeah it's the walking that does it, I walk everywhere and I have huge calves but it terms of heels you said you didn't wear them too much? One wonders how you can wear them often and for long bouts....I wear them every blue moon and my toes are dead!
And as Thomas said, yes a fast paced jog high intensity.

Hallatia

Referee
Yeah it's the walking that does it, I walk everywhere and I have huge calves but it terms of heels you said you didn't wear them too much? One wonders how you can wear them often and for long bouts....I wear them every blue moon and my toes are dead!
And as Thomas said, yes a fast paced jog high intensity.
I don't think I wear them that often, but I will wear them for long bouts and walk in them. Plus, I generally like wearing them

As for running, I do half an hour on the treadmill at 8-10km/h at the start of all my work outs, should I push that up and/or be adding incline? I never put the incline above 4, but I generally prefer to run without it. When I jog outside it's pretty hilly, but I don't go as fast as I do on the treadmill

Thomas

First Grade
No incline!!

There's your issue (I think). Incline walking, especially on a treadmill, will really work your calves.

Try fartlek training. Basically it is interval stuff. Run for 3 minutes at 8-10kms then 1 minute at 12-14. Then 2 or so minutes at 6-7.

Then repeat. Do 5 of these 6 minute intervals and there's your 30 minutes of running.

I started out slow but am up to 3 minutes at 12km/hr then 1 minute at 15km/hr and then down to 8km/hr. It canes but does the job. Kind of scary that as a teenager I used to run at the 15km/hr mark easily...

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Dear Oz,

Is it possible God made more than one earth?
Is it possible that Jesus is only one of Gods sons?
Is it possible our entire democratic, parlimentary and judicial system are infact based on lies?

ozbash

Referee
Dear Oz,

Is it possible God made more than one earth?
Is it possible that Jesus is only one of Gods sons?
Is it possible our entire democratic, parlimentary and judicial system are infact based on lies?

Cool, now we're getting into the real meaty stuff..

I dont believe in God, Allah or any 'higher being' but if I did I reckon he/she would have.

Same pre-empt as Q1, but you'd think than with no known contraception in those days of immaculate conceptions, theres probably enough bro's for at least a soccer team.

Lies I doubt, but I think we can pick the guts out of "the good book" and believe in things to suit.
As a born again Atheist I dont find it offensive swearing on the bible. Much the same as I wouldnt find it offensive swearing on the Complete Works of the Brothers Grimm...

Hope this eases your troubled mind, your Angryness..

NEXT

Hallatia

Referee
No incline!!

There's your issue (I think). Incline walking, especially on a treadmill, will really work your calves.

Try fartlek training. Basically it is interval stuff. Run for 3 minutes at 8-10kms then 1 minute at 12-14. Then 2 or so minutes at 6-7.

Then repeat. Do 5 of these 6 minute intervals and there's your 30 minutes of running.

I started out slow but am up to 3 minutes at 12km/hr then 1 minute at 15km/hr and then down to 8km/hr. It canes but does the job. Kind of scary that as a teenager I used to run at the 15km/hr mark easily...
Thanks for that, I think I am going to try this now:). Oh and I am still a teenager myself, not for much longer though:(

Shorty

Staff member
I don't think I wear them that often, but I will wear them for long bouts and walk in them. Plus, I generally like wearing them

As for running, I do half an hour on the treadmill at 8-10km/h at the start of all my work outs, should I push that up and/or be adding incline? I never put the incline above 4, but I generally prefer to run without it. When I jog outside it's pretty hilly, but I don't go as fast as I do on the treadmill
Oh ok, so do you do that run before you do resistance training? How often a week do you do it?
As Thomas said don't incline.

If you don't wear heels that often it's fine, also what kind of sport did you do or are doing?
No incline!!

Perfect;-)

Geez it's tough training though!

Thomas

First Grade
I like fartlek training. It motivates me more than just trudging around. I use landmarks and motivational things to help me out running like powering to a certain tree or power pole or running from the police until I can't hear the sirens anymore...

Hallatia

Referee
Oh ok, so do you do that run before you do resistance training? How often a week do you do it?
As Thomas said don't incline.

If you don't wear heels that often it's fine, also what kind of sport did you do or are doing?

Perfect;-)

Geez it's tough training though!
yeah, I do that 3 times a week. I don't like incline anyway. Competitively I play cricket and hockey, used to do a lot more. Recreationally I play anything and everything.

Tough training is best, you feel like you're getting a real work out that way

Hallatia

Referee
I have a question for you Oz, but let me give you some background first. The other day a friend of mine was saying that obesity should be illegal because there isn't enough to deter people from it. I know I for one don't want to be fat, let alone obese, but if health, fitness and well being aren't enough to motivate people to get into shape, how would you deter people from obesity?