What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

auck 80's forward pack v todays forward pack

legs 11

Juniors
ok forget the size thing, course they are bigger and faster today but....
i remember a 80's pack containing the likes of; Hugh McGahn, gary Phohm, Ricky Cowan, owen Wright, ....plenty of other goodies......pretty sure they all had a beer afterwards and didn't shave their legs as well.
The amatuers of the 80's were pretty good

ozenzud

Juniors
Sorensons would have been in the Sydney in the 1980's. Any Auckland games would have been in the 70's

Rich102

Staff member
OK. Decades roll together.
Then it must have included Wayne Robertson, Doug Gailey, John Ackland, Riki Cowan & Owen Wright.

Blair

Coach
Sorensons would have been in the Sydney in the 1980's. Any Auckland games would have been in the 70's

Yes, both brothers were Sydney and UK pros from the late-70s onwards.

I remember my father always having a chuckle at how Ricky Cowan was 'done up like a racehorse!'

He was covered in tape and strapping.

Big Marn

Juniors
trying to remember those brothers from the 80s or 90s. Massive hair and big boppas they were. Fiu brothers?

Blair

Coach
Big Frank Tinitelia from Otahuhu!

As big and fast as they are today, I reckon.

Fox Memorial try of the 20th Century, 1983 final.

Rich102

Staff member
Yeah, I remember that.
Ran the length of the field down the Domain touchline swatting off tacklers.
Great memory.

Rich102

Staff member
You have to remember that the opposition weren't as strong then; or fitness levels.

sup42

Juniors
The guys I always remember were local hard nut Amateurs...not the guys who went on to enjoy fame.

Auckland prided itself on the blue collar no names....that is what the Warriors failed to understand.

I have a love hate relationship with the Warriors...knowing how they shamed my league side Auckland.

Neville Ramsay and the Tuimavave's were typical hard minded players who would never make big names at the Warriors....Tony the Chief was a rare exception....and even he was not well appreciated

legs 11

Juniors
George Mann ...one big strong fella,,,glad he got to make some coin in the uk.....now what happened to lonnergan...did he retire early because of injury or just had enough and wanted to pursue his businesses?

Latest posts