What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland club footy on tele

Skinner

Coach
Unashamedly knicked from the International Forum. It is unsourced but it
is true.

Bloody fantastic for mine, but the standard of Fox football HAS to improve
in order to hold an audience.

*EDIT to provide source*

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-star-times/sport/2417405/League-Club-games-to-screen-live-on-net

IMAGINE WATCHING your mates playing sport live on your mobile phone or iPod.

The possibility of grassroots Kiwi team sports being shown in broadcast quality on the latest technology opened last night when the Auckland Rugby League agreed a landmark deal with Maori Television to show two club games a week on national TV.

The contract includes a clause allowing Maori TV to live-stream matches on its website, and even has provisions for the future broadcast of games to phones and iPods.

It's thought that league is the first grassroots club sport to secure a proper broadcast deal.

Back in the 1980s, Auckland club league was packed with Kiwi internationals and crowds of 15,000 would flock to the big games at Carlaw Park. But while it remains the best grassroots competition in the country, its nowadays played at suburban grounds before crowds in the hundreds, thanks to competition from live NRL. Which makes this deal something of a coup.

"It's huge, it's big, it's fantastic, not only for our clubs, but our players, our partners, our referees: the game at domestic level will have total recognition on television," enthused ARL general manager Pat Carthy.
"I can't think of any other sport at domestic level with this coverage. We're delighted."

After three months' intensive negotiation, broadcasts start in a fortnight, with one game shown every Saturday night (time delayed) with full Maori commentary on the Te Reo channel, and a second game the following day on regular Maori TV. Four suburban grounds and Mt Smart No2 have been found to have suitable facilities for broadcast.

Auckland's deal was met with interested surprise elsewhere. Football has struggled for domestic television coverage, with Sky showing only the O-League final and NZFC semifinals and finals.

New Zealand Soccer chief executive Michael Glading said of securing such a domestic broadcast deal: "We've talked in principle [internally] about it but we haven't really explored it, but if the question is would we do it, then yes. We've obviously got a good relationship with Sky but we've always wondered if Maori TV was an option and this is very interesting."

Asked about the advent of internet, mobile and iPod viewing, Glading said: "You'd have to be blind, dumb and deaf not to think about those things going forward."

Last edited:

mean

Juniors
Bloody fantastic for mine, but the standard of Fox football HAS to improve in order to hold an audience.

It would be an embarrassment to screen at present. The standard of football is crap, one dimensional and boring.

I think we can safely assert that Fox footy is not going to be anything too spectacular.

But bringing back that tribal culture of local league to television screens has got to be nothing but good.

Cant wait too see an Otahuhu v Mt Albert match or something of equal calibre; sure the players wont be as gifted as those in the big time, but they'll be passionate, and sometimes that can override the flashy sidesteps and the greased up mohawks.

Perhaps thats where some of the Warriors need to be sent - Im lookin at you McKinnon

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
I agree Marlins that the footy wont be spectacular but it will be great to watch some of our local talent on display.

I would of been happy even with a Toyota Grassroots Rugby type of programme where we get a wrap up of League games played through out NZ. And the standard of the games on Grassroots is pretty boring too.lol.

But im excited for the players taking part in the Fox Memorial, i know alot of buzz is going around that alot of them can't wait to be on tele.

Great game on the weekend to Manurewa Marlins, always good to travel down to Leabank Park. :thumb

Skinner

Coach
I agree Marlins that the footy wont be spectacular but it will be great to watch some of our local talent on display.

I would of been happy even with a Toyota Grassroots Rugby type of programme where we get a wrap up of League games played through out NZ. And the standard of the games on Grassroots is pretty boring too.lol.

But im excited for the players taking part in the Fox Memorial, i know alot of buzz is going around that alot of them can't wait to be on tele.

Great game on the weekend to Manurewa Marlins, always good to travel down to Leabank Park. :thumb

Don't think I ever won a game at Leabank.....with any grade. It's a
bloody graveyard :lol:

Archangel2

Juniors
Hey we finished second on the table at the end of 1st round, 1 point off Wainui...damn it! Still not bad for a team from Welly City!

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Don't think I ever won a game at Leabank.....with any grade. It's a
bloody graveyard :lol:

They are a tough opposition there Skinner, tougher crowd though.:lol:. Im glad we got the goodies against them last Saturday though. Is your club playing Fox footy this year Skin?;-)

Top stuff Archy, great to see the game at grassroots level in Welly.

Skinner

Coach
They are a tough opposition there Skinner, tougher crowd though.:lol:. Im glad we got the goodies against them last Saturday though. Is your club playing Fox footy this year Skin?;-)

Top stuff Archy, great to see the game at grassroots level in Welly.

Yeah, my old club is mate.

ozbash

Referee
I reckon it would be an awesome watch to see live club footy.

the NRL has spoilt us.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Rob Denyer to carve it up on the telly for the mighty Roosters

Theres been a few stand outs for us, but most notably 5/8 Willie Heta has been in great form all season, and big powerful centre in Atelea Nafetalai who has 2 Vulcans games under his belt.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Theres been a few stand outs for us, but most notably 5/8 Willie Heta has been in great form all season, and big powerful centre in Atelea Nafetalai who has 2 Vulcans games under his belt.

A few - otahuhu will always have plenty of standouts.

Regardless of the huge number of players (across all clubs)who have gone to aussie country/a-grade - they have plenty of players lining up at pre-season training.

As for Willie Heta if under-20s was around back in the day - he probably would have ended in a warriors jesrsey.

As for repping the Leopards - apparently tried to go back to his junior club this year - The mighty marlins - only to have a 4 grand transfer fee because he played a few vulcans games last year.

clubs who have a little bit of money are doing alright.

There are definately a sprinkling of quality players across the comp.

Tonga World Cup back Toshio Laiseni has gone from WC, PL grand final to lining up for Papakura Sea-Eagles. Cant wait to see him brought back to earth at Leabank this year.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
A few - otahuhu will always have plenty of standouts.

Regardless of the huge number of players (across all clubs)who have gone to aussie country/a-grade - they have plenty of players lining up at pre-season training.

As for Willie Heta if under-20s was around back in the day - he probably would have ended in a warriors jesrsey.

As for repping the Leopards - apparently tried to go back to his junior club this year - The mighty marlins - only to have a 4 grand transfer fee because he played a few vulcans games last year.

clubs who have a little bit of money are doing alright.

There are definately a sprinkling of quality players across the comp.

Tonga World Cup back Toshio Laiseni has gone from WC, PL grand final to lining up for Papakura Sea-Eagles. Cant wait to see him brought back to earth at Leabank this year.

LOL ok we have plenty of standouts this year.

m_m_m is Willies little brother playing for the Marlins this year?

Tosh was brought back down to earth at Otahuhu a few weeks back, looks a little off pace at Fox level ;-). But that is a great clash when those two sides get together Rewa vs Kura.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Tosh was a big disappointment. He never lived up to the hype.

I believe he was to an extent.

Had a few injuries when he was younger.

If he has really been backed by somebody and given confidence he would have gone mean.

I thought he was good for the sharks - even last year he look alright and looked better than heaps of NRL outside backs

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
LOL ok we have plenty of standouts this year.

m_m_m is Willies little brother playing for the Marlins this year?

Tosh was brought back down to earth at Otahuhu a few weeks back, looks a little off pace at Fox level ;-). But that is a great clash when those two sides get together Rewa vs Kura.

Yep H is back playing this year.

Rewa dont quite have the personnel this year - all the ex-bartercard players.

Even Aaron Heremaia is no contracted to East Coast Bays - probably get paid a few hundred when they have the buy.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Not looking so mighty at the moment mate...

Were leading 24-18 with 3 minutes to go on the weekend and conceded 2 tries, immediately after missing a penalty kick from in front to seal the win :crazy:

My sources tell me TAT will be first to get a televised game :D