What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland RL to scrap Warriors 20s from next year

JJ

Immortal
if my kid was a budding league talent - I'd encourage the move to Aust now - how much evidence do we need that their systems and competitions are better?

Everyone was worried about the insane moves Fale et al would make - and then the ARL do this...

The gap from U20s to first grade is huge - but look at all the Warrior players that have transitioned - here and in Aust - it's not overnight, but with good coaching and experience it happens - this IMO will set the kids back a few years... it's not just our kids that struggle to make a huge impact immediately - for every Cleary or Taylor, there's five Hinganos or Cartwrights to will likely take time... look at the Penrith kids slowly establishing themselves, and the likes of RFM, SST and Lisone, etc here

Izz

Bench
Dumb, dumb move imo. McGregor's quotes in that article are Fale-level dumb.

He is really overestimating how good the Bartercard Cup and Lion Red Cup were.

On the Taumalolo example - his desire to play for NZ wasn't decreased because he moved to Australia at a young age. It was decreased because the NZ coach was a muppet and created an environment that wasn't inclusive.

Rich102

Staff member
Good point Izz. What were the crowds like at Batercard Cup and Lion Red? A couple of thousand at tops? Mostly extended family and friends?

playdaball

Bench
Good point Izz. What were the crowds like at Batercard Cup and Lion Red? A couple of thousand at tops? Mostly extended family and friends?
I can recall games on TV where you could count the people at the ground. I went over to Northcote where Brent Webb was making a comeback and there were less than 100 in attendance.i get the feeling that McGregor and co believe they’ll be 8000 in attendance as per the old Carlaw Park days.

spear tackle

Juniors
I remember the mad butcher selling tickets to some of those games he was charging something like 50 cents a pop which might have covered the cost of printing them.

Skinner

Coach
I'm just not sure that he will be allowed to do this. It seems to be just a unilateral decision, and they are normally frowned upon.

jaseg

Juniors
Yep, cutting pathways and reducing the level of competition your players are exposed to at every level up to NRL is a real recipe for success.... :rolleyes:

FMD that's stupid.

The only way these sort of moves make any sense is if they bought the Warriors to drive the club into the ground in service of the local comp. Which I can't believe, so it would just be down to incompetence and stupid ideas then..

sup42

Juniors
It is a frightening admission that the new car owner can afford the gas but can't afford the cars maintenance...in other words...the greater truth is they cannot afford the Car.

This will only go one way, this is a group of selfish old men not content with having poorly run their own outfit - like the drowning man, they have latched onto the Warriors

It's about legacy which can variously be defined in flattering terms or in this case the struggle to find relevance, and nepotism.

They are the old boys network of NZ Rugby League a pretty poorly performing outfit prior to tying the Warriors fate to theirs.

The ARL know that the NRL are bound to try to save the Warriors in the event of the inevitable. It is a hostile take over...but even the NRL will have its limits.

siv

First Grade
The answer is a national NRL Reserve Grade with a U22s

Then a NZ Cup based around the ARL running with U20s will work

The trick is for the NRL to provide same funding to a NZ Cup side as it does to QLD Cup and NSW Cup teams

spear tackle

Juniors

The trick is for the NRL to provide same funding to a NZ Cup side as it does to QLD Cup and NSW Cup teams

For something like that to happen, the NRL you would think would require a NZ comp like that to be run by competent personal and seeing over the years how the ARL and NZRL steer their ship most of the time with the exception of a few individuals , it would mean those in power would have to give it up, and that's not likely to happen.
Maybe a few administrators imported from Australia would shake them up a bit.

siv

First Grade
The NZ setup resembles City v Country on NSW and QLD

Where City in this case is Auckland

Where is basically Auckland RL plus regional provisional teams

Thats how the Batercard Cup ran I beleive

But distance and travel costs seems to be a issue

But if they could get a grant structure like $100k for Auckland within 5hrs and $250k for regional clubs it would help

spear tackle

Juniors
A grant is really just throwing money at it until it runs out then going back for more IMO, the only way it would possibly work is if we had a second NRL club in NZ (which wont be happening for a long time) with something small like a 6 team comp used as feeder clubs to the main teams and that's assuming they ditch the U20's and ISP with those players to be spread among the teams,and even then I don't know if you would get crowds along to watch, but like Skinner said above we may find the Warriors are contractually bound to have those other two teams in their respective competition's.
All said and done I doubt it would stop the player drain to Australia and to a lesser degree the UKSL

Matua

Bench
Is it too late to get back to the crazy American guy?

This is so stupid, for all the reasons outlined above. It wont keep players in NZ, a fringe Warrior 1st grader is going to leave ASAP so he can play for a club with a reserve grade team.

That is not the answer

Reactions: JJ

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Dumb, dumb move imo. McGregor's quotes in that article are Fale-level dumb.

He is really overestimating how good the Bartercard Cup and Lion Red Cup were.

On the Taumalolo example - his desire to play for NZ wasn't decreased because he moved to Australia at a young age. It was decreased because the NZ coach was a muppet and created an environment that wasn't inclusive.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. That Taumalolo quote was out of this world dumb. JT played for the Kiwis, he chose us - how the f**k can McGregor then cite such an example when JT had every chance to choose Queensland and Australia?

The U20s I wouldn't have cared about last year, but now we've got a better system with Brian Smith running a great football department, someone like Tony Iro who is up to FA at NRL level but clearly is a good 20s coach, or someone else on staff...it can work now. Instead, these U20s guys will drift on the wind, go play some club footy, drink piss and go out etc. At least when officially affiliated to the Warriors, they had a pride, a responsibility and a purpose.

The other issue is that our coaches in NZ are simply not up to standard. How are we going to foster talent at Bartercard level when the guys in charge are paid a pittance and have no real experience or credentials? The standard is so far off Intrust Cup it's laughable, and it always will be. The mindset of the Intrust Cup is you're not too far away from the NRL. The mindset of Bartercard (and I've watched a bit of it) is far, far away from that. Playing at shit grounds, bog pits, in front of 50 die hards, being paid nigh-on nothing to do so...

Bad first move from McGregor. Hopefully Cameron George can kick some sense into the ARL.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. That Taumalolo quote was out of this world dumb. JT played for the Kiwis, he chose us - how the f**k can McGregor then cite such an example when JT had every chance to choose Queensland and Australia?

The U20s I wouldn't have cared about last year, but now we've got a better system with Brian Smith running a great football department, someone like Tony Iro who is up to FA at NRL level but clearly is a good 20s coach, or someone else on staff...it can work now. Instead, these U20s guys will drift on the wind, go play some club footy, drink piss and go out etc. At least when officially affiliated to the Warriors, they had a pride, a responsibility and a purpose.

The other issue is that our coaches in NZ are simply not up to standard. How are we going to foster talent at Bartercard level when the guys in charge are paid a pittance and have no real experience or credentials? The standard is so far off Intrust Cup it's laughable, and it always will be. The mindset of the Intrust Cup is you're not too far away from the NRL. The mindset of Bartercard (and I've watched a bit of it) is far, far away from that. Playing at shit grounds, bog pits, in front of 50 die hards, being paid nigh-on nothing to do so...

Bad first move from McGregor. Hopefully Cameron George can kick some sense into the ARL.

I reckon he will get replaced and they appoint one of THEIR BOYS to take over

siv

First Grade
Sounds like the key issue is attitude systems and improved financial reward

The recovery of the Qld RL didnt happen over night

But the concerns are valid and need to worked

RL in NZ should be on par with ESL

ARL look like they are focused on addressing the system which if done right will bring TV exposure

Then the financial situation will improve

JJ

Immortal
RL in NZ should be on par with ESL

e
How on earth could that every be so? Not the population base, the money, nor the history - sorry but that's just a silly statement

Latest posts