What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aussie Rules coming to New Zealand

AuckMel

Bench
Link

THE AFL is confident a packed stadium will host the first home and away game on foreign soil.

St Kilda and the Sydney Swans will contest the first game played for premiership points to be held outside of Australia next season when they play at Westpac Stadium in Wellington, New Zealand on Anzac Day.

I'm not sure they'll get 36,000 people into the joint. I'm guessing with a few give aways maybe 12-18k.

James-Stewart

Juniors
The last game in NZ at that ground got 11k for an exhibition match. These days it can be promoted through the thousands that play KiwiKick and will get more given the fact that it's a premiership match. Will get 20k weather permitting.

Doesnt the AFL brand themselves as the Australian game?
Its not really an Australian game. Its origins are in English rugby and Gaelic football. Its played on an oval pitch which has its roots in the most English of games, Cricket. The first people to play were not Australians, but British and Irish gold miners. Even the Guernsey is Europen in origin. Its really an Anglo-Irish game that the rest of the world has forgot and the world has moved on. Outside of Australia there are no pro or semi pro teams. Where it is played overseas it played 9 a side on rectangular pitches in most cases. In all probability in 20 years time it will follow the Dodo and become extinct.

Munro_Mick

Juniors
Doesnt the AFL brand themselves as the Australian game?

I recall seeing a quote from the guy in charge of the NZAFL at the time suggesting that the 'A' in AFL could stand for 'Action' instead.

and that Australia should stop hogging the game and let the world play it.

The branding/naming is always going to be some sort of an issue - however,
outside of NZ, I'd be proud for people around the world to know of the game as 'Australian Football', because, I'm somewhat proud of Australia (even though my parents weren't born here) so I don't mind it at all. It's nice seeing a comp back in the 'old country' that's been going for over 20 years now (Denmark) and it's now dominated by Danes rather than ex-pats and the Danish team has visited here 3 times in the AFL International Cups (2002, 2008 and 2011).
It's kinda nice that Australia is the 'Mecca' of that particular sporting 'world'. Okay - it's still a pretty exclusive club!!!!! There's already a world game though - - no one's saying Aust Footy needs to challenge soccer!!