What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aussie squad for second test

Bomber

Bench
Gillespie out, Katich, Bracken and Hogg in. MacGill and Lehmann to prove their fitness.

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Waugh
Lehmann
Gilchrist
Bichel
MacGill
Lee
Williams
Bracken
Katich
Hogg

Chuck in Williams for his debut, and swap MacGill with Hogg.

Easy.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Surely Brad Williams must get a go in this game, I mean its only Zimbabwe, we should rest Gillespie and MacGill, so they'll be fresh for the Indian tests.

Mind you they might go with Hogg and MacGill in the team, but I reckon the test team should be:

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Waugh
Lehmann/Katich (depends on the fitness of Boof)
Gilchrist (wk)
Bichel
Hogg
Lee
Williams

With that lineup, everyone can bat.

Anonymous

Juniors
They must be very tempted to throw Katich in there. Especially with his bowling form from last year, and in County Cricket.

I'm tipping just an out and out swap of Williams for Gillespie and Hogg for MacGill. Katich will come in if Lehmann can't prove his fitness.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
You gotta think that the selectors are gonna go for Martin Love if Lehmann is unfit to play.

Anonymous

Juniors
madunit said:
You gotta think that the selectors are gonna go for Martin Love if Lehmann is unfit to play.

No. If that was the case Martin Love would have been in the 14 man squad. Kaitch is there because of his wrist spinning capabilities, as well as a top line batsman.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
It will be interetsng who they take over to india in place of Lehman since he has been advised to have at least 1mths rest now.

Times are changing in the ranks of Australian cricket within the next 12mths don't be to surprised if we have a totally different side to what we have ever seen before.

Kasper

Bench
The selection of Katich is discraceful......Mr.Boring himself with a technique up shit creek. Now i know many people will have a go at me for this but i truly believe the selections are biased towards NSW. Katich is at WA he suddenly plays a year with NSW then he magically finds himself in the side. :roll:

Doctor

Bench
You mention the future direction of Australia cricket - I refer you to another topic in this forum: "The way forward for Australian Cricket"

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=77904#77904

Regarding Katich's selection - it is for his bowling primarily. Based on his last season, he is a bowling allrounder. His batting capabilities diminished last season, averaging in the mid 30s in Pura Cup cricket. But his bowling average was in the mid 20s from recollection.

Brad Hogg is a certainty if MacGill is out, and then you have Katich whose bowling is impressive. I must say that Katich looks awkward at the bowling crease, and sometimes awkward to watch bat - but his bowling stats prove me wrong albeit at the moment. While his batting is not within a cricket pitch of where it should be to earn a batting place, it is for his bowling that he is selected - otherwise Love, Clarke, Perrin etc would all be factored into the situation.

Williams is the obvious call-up for the vacant spot - Lee and Bichel to open, with Williams as first change. We'll still win, but perhaps not by an innings, depending on how well the top order back-up from the 730 odd they scored last week, thanks largely to Hayden.

I'd like to see the selectors be less Queensland biased actually Kingling - you have every right to disagree, but Hohns (a Queenslander) wields his axe like an inebriated tree-logger at the moment - he wants Waugh gone, has already succeeded in ridding both Waughs from ODI cricket, and one Waugh from Tests - refuses to pick Bevan, dropped Slater, won't bring Steve Waugh back into ODI cricket despite him being the best local OD batsman last season, and refuses to let Michael Clarke get in ahead of Martin Love, despite Clarke's superior average (by 7 runs an innings), and Clarke's age being 8 years less.

Biased - yes, but towards Queensland.

Anonymous

Juniors
I dead set cannot believe all of you bagging Katich.

The guys been killing it with the bat for so long in Pura Cup and he deserved to have 20+ tests by now. It took him turning himself into an allrounder to get a run.

I'd also like to say he's clearly a batting allrounder. Otherwise he wouldn't be ahead of Gilchrist.

Anonymous

Juniors
I do not believe that I was bagging him. I happen to beleive he is a quality batsmen, and would love to see him do well.

Latest posts