What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia A v England

Good to see smith hit a fifty and two wickets, maybe he could be a bolter for the test???

His bowling today was about as threatening as Hauries offies.

The only reason he got a long spell and SOK didn't bowl until the game was well and truly gone was because of the Aussie Selectors.

Smith is only challenging for North's spot IMO

Doherty and SOK are more of a chance to play the first test ahead of Hauritz.

beads6

First Grade
His bowling today was about as threatening as Hauries offies.

The only reason he got a long spell and SOK didn't bowl until the game was well and truly gone was because of the Aussie Selectors.

Smith is only challenging for North's spot IMO

Doherty and SOK are more of a chance to play the first test ahead of Hauritz.

That is the only spot he should ever be considered for IMO. He is not a bowler, he can bowl but not to the standard that is required to be selected as a bowler. These selectors drive me mad.. :crazy:

MSIH

Bench
Do you have a clue?? Swan is bowling on a bowlers wicket under grey skies... Any bowler worth is pay would be taking wickets at Allan Border field. FFS.:crazy:Who let the noob in??

I went Ferguson just because, happy with either player in the test team TBH. Khawaja would do a great job but I like right handers..

Who did let the noob in?

beads6

First Grade
Well Khawaja certainly out performed Ferguson in the Australia A match... I'd like Ferguson picked because he has proven international experience and is in decent form. Also a right hander against Grame Swann would be good. I bat right handed so that is why I prefer right handers...

aussies1st

Staff member
Well Khawaja certainly out performed Ferguson in the Australia A match... I'd like Ferguson picked because he has proven international experience and is in decent form. Also a right hander against Grame Swann would be good. I bat right handed so that is why I prefer right handers...

Hate to say it but both guys missed their chances, what you want in a player is one that can stand up in a given situation aka when a spot is up for grabs. Neither took their chance, Hughes on the other hand has shown once again he has no problem doing this. And Smith did it in the first innings and also just before the NZ tour with that 7 fer. Obviously not saying don't ever pick them heck they might find themselves with another chance to claim a spot later on in the Ashes, if that chance arise then they need to be scoring runs.

Last edited:

yappy

Bench
Hate to say it but both guys missed their chances, what you want in a player is one that can stand up in a given situation aka when a spot is up for grabs. Neither took their chance, Hughes on the other hand has shown once again he has no problem doing this. And Smith did it in the first innings and also just before the NZ tour with that 7 fer. Obviously not saying don't ever pick them heck they might find themselves with another chance to claim a spot later on in the Ashes, if that chance arise then they need to be scoring runs.

Personally I think that's crap. Hussey has failed and failed and failed, and just because he bags a soft ton in the second innings after a duck at the very last minute he's supposed to have saved his spot, but a guy like Khawaja who has scored a pile of runs finally has a game where he doesn't make a score and he's missed his chance.

Hussey is the one who has missed his chance. He's had two years to make a score, and apart from a very suss hundred against Pakistan he has failed. There shouldn't be any question of him saving his career at this stage. At 35 he should have saved it long ago. Even if he comes out and scores more runs than any other player in the Ashes it doesn't change the fact he's on his last legs. Not dropping him now is only delaying the inevitable by a few months. Better to put the young gun in now.

aussies1st

Staff member
Personally I think that's crap. Hussey has failed and failed and failed, and just because he bags a soft ton in the second innings after a duck at the very last minute he's supposed to have saved his spot, but a guy like Khawaja who has scored a pile of runs finally has a game where he doesn't make a score and he's missed his chance.

It's how sports work and has always worked. You can perform great guns all season but if you don't perform when the national selectors are watching you then you won't make the cut. Simple as that, think of a league player trying to impress an NRL scout, hes played awesome all season but has an off game with the NRL scout. He isn't going to remember the whole season, hes going to remember what you did when he was there.

D

Deleted member 10972

That is the only spot he should ever be considered for IMO. He is not a bowler, he can bowl but not to the standard that is required to be selected as a bowler. These selectors drive me mad.. :crazy:

Correct, everyone can see it except the selectors, it seems.

Smith is competing for Norths spot.

Ferguson and Khawaja are competing for Hussey's spot.

O'Keefe, Doherty and Hauritz should be competing for the spinners spot.

Harris, Bollinger, Johnson, Hilfenhaus should be competing for the three seamer spots.

The rest of the team should stay as is.

MSIH

Bench
oh look another noob.. Get the F### out you have little clue as well. :crazy:

Haha because I called you out on your "I'd pick him because he's right handed and I like right handers" nonsense? :lol:

Nah yeah, you're right. It's great logic, and you're obviously a mental giant when it comes to cricket. Richie Benaud Mark II.

What next o'insightful one? You'd pick Peter George over Mark Cameron because he's married? You'd have O'Keefe over Doherty because he's more tanned?

You and Locky should get a sub-forum so you can discuss the big issues in the game together.

Good gutsy innings by White today.

Probably won't play any tests this summer but if he has another excellent ODI series then he will be pressing his claims.

Latest posts