What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia in India 2008 discussion thread

TheParraboy

Staff member
Has the squad been announced yet?

We have only one warm up game cause it conflicts with indias domestic games apparantly :roll:

Johnno already having a cry why he wont do well :lol:

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/indvaus2008/content/story/366606.html

India warm-up not ideal - Johnson

Cricinfo staff

August 28, 2008

Mitchell Johnson is keen to have more time in India to prepare for October's Test series © Getty Images
366405.jpg

Mitchell Johnson says having only one warm-up game in India before October's Test series is not ideal for Australia, who are still hoping another tour match can be arranged. The postponement of the Champions Trophy has left Australia with limited cricket scheduled before the first Test starts in Bangalore on October 9.

The Daily Telegraph reported that the BCCI was reluctant to organise a second warm-up game because it would mean rearranging India's domestic cricket schedule. However, Cricket Australia has not formally requested an extra match and Johnson said the players would definitely welcome more time to acclimatise.

"It's probably not ideal [to have only one game]," Johnson told AAP. "We probably want a few more games before that, but that's the way it is.

"We've got one game before so we'll have to go back to our states and work pretty hard and try to do the best we can there to prepare as well as we can for India. It's always hard to prepare for India, which has such different conditions than here, so it is going to be tough. I think we will manage."

Johnson will likely be a key part of Australia's attack for the Test tour, having bowled superbly during last year's one-day series in India. He said it would be a major step up to transfer that success to the five-day format.

"Playing one-day cricket there I know how hard it is," he said. "But to play Test cricket, with the wickets and playing five-day cricket, it's going to be extremely hard, but it's a challenge I'm looking forward to."

The gap in the calendar created by the Champions Trophy postponement means Australia have no international cricket between the three-match one-day series against Bangladesh, which starts on Saturday, and the India tour. Johnson warmed up for the Bangladesh games with 3 for 5 against the Australian Institute of Sports in Darwin on Thursday.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I dont think the squad has been announced yet,

all I've seen was the decision that the tour will go ahead

TheParraboy

Staff member
we are gonna be ripe for the picking

Hayden would not have played in months, Punter struggles over there and with only one warm up game, India should be favourites

Bazal

Post Whore
Not sure how many will be in the test squad, but some of the Indian quicks are bowling brilliantly over in Sri Lanka...with Hayden (if he plays) and Punter down on match practice, and not much in the way of a formline for any of our batsmen leading in....I can foresee a struggle.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I agree, will Lee be in a good frame of mind???? Hayden and Punter not much cricket of late. And no frontline spinner in India, plus Johnson the king of the pie thrower's will be in the team. Lets hope India pick the old farts like Ganguly and Dravid who are past it.

TheParraboy

Staff member
warne never did well there

I dont think a great spinner is a big concern

our batting needs to fire and the pace bolwers will win it, like last time

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Last time we had Mcgrath and Dizzy, backed up by Kasper who always bowled pretty good over there. Plus Warne was the spinner, who while didn't take a bagful kept things tight. And Now we have Johnson and Casson........

Spike

First Grade
Although a good pace attack is always going to help win games, a quality spinner in India is always a must. I don't think Casson is up to it

TheParraboy

Staff member
for what its worth, this would be my 4 test squad for India,
which incidently I think is being chosen shortly
(no one dayers are being played)

15 man squad

Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Katich/Symonds