What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia v Tonga in Hawaii

adamkungl

Immortal
It’s not that different to a 3 game rep series mid season though

I agree that the clubs stance is shit!
But saying that one good thing shouldn't happen because a different group of people is blocking another good thing from happening is a negative attitude that results in nothing happening!

langpark

First Grade
Fairly typical of this forum to shoot down something because it isn't done exactly the way you want it. Of course everyone has their own idea of what SHOULD happen so 90% of us are miserable about everything ever.

We all want Australia to play more games.
We all want Tonga to play more games.
We all want RL to be played in the USA.
Actual response? "RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE THIS IS SHIT"

fmd there's no hope for this sport
That's not it at all. Let's have matches in places where there is a thorough long-term plan in place for the sport. A match like this should be years in the making, so seeds can be planted there and systems in place so that the region can capitalise on the (hopefully) successful event in the aftermath. That's all ask, that we have development and long-term strategic goals in mind when choosing a venue, not: Let's ask Mal last-minute where he'd like to have a weekend trip away with his mates - as the criteria.

adamkungl

Immortal
That's not it at all. Let's have matches in places where there is a thorough long-term plan in place for the sport. A match like this should be years in the making, so seeds can be planted there and systems in place so that the region can capitalise on the (hopefully) successful event in the aftermath. That's all ask, that we have development and long-term strategic goals in mind when choosing a venue, not: Let's ask Mal last-minute where he'd like to have a weekend trip away with his mates - as the criteria.

What use is a long term plan if 2 men and a dog show up?
I don't see the harm in staging something like this to gauge interest and potential.
If it's a success and they don't follow up, then we have a problem. (for example, Tonga's success in NZ being followed up by a game in f**king Campbeltown)

Stallion

First Grade
I don't see the harm in staging something like this to gauge interest and potential.
If it's a success and they don't follow up, then we have a problem. (for example, Tonga's success in NZ being followed up by a game in f**king Campbeltown)

Yes. Agree. Their should have been a test arranged for Tonga v NZ in NZ. Simple but obviously not thought of!?

langpark

First Grade
Surely there are ways to gauge it BEFORE deciding to send one of the top matches of the year there.

It seems cracks are appearing in your argument if you're now admitting 'two blokes and a dog' might only show up.

Golden point

Juniors
Says the dumbmerkin that blurted out "play a game in Fiji ffs"

That it? Play a game in Fiji? f**king genius you well done!
So you don't think an international should be played in fiji?

Hey everyone!
If you would like a game played in fiji
Apparently your a "dunbmerkin".

deal.with.it

Juniors
Well you won't make money nor attract big gov funding, so yeah bad idea.

Why don't they put it out to tender and see which cities of the world want to host it. Then promote it with 12 months lead in time and convince 10,000 aussies to travel there - warranting the initial investment. Or, ensure broadcasters in Aus, UK, NZ, France, Canada will televise it and showcase the city as a Tourist Destination.
f**k why is common sense always lost with RL powerbrokers...

latingringo101

Juniors
I hope one year there'd be a triple header Pacific cup involving Australia and NZ in Hawaii or something. Could have,

Fiji vs PNG
Samoa vs Tonga
Aus vs NZ

I'd pay to go see that

clarency

Juniors
why is common sense always lost with RL powerbrokers...
Well you won't make money nor attract big gov funding, so yeah bad idea.

Why don't they put it out to tender and see which cities of the world want to host it. Then promote it with 12 months lead in time and convince 10,000 aussies to travel there - warranting the initial investment. Or, ensure broadcasters in Aus, UK, NZ, France, Canada will televise it and showcase the city as a Tourist Destination.
f**k why is common sense always lost with RL powerbrokers...

It's not common sense... it would be incredibly risky. Considering that the World Cup in Australia struggled to get 10,000 Australians to games... there's very little chance there would be a massive number of league fans willing to travel.

As I have said before... if League wants to spread to other countries it needs to get it's hands dirty and start at the beginning. Set up junior clubs and establish a grass roots system. No short cuts. No easy way in. Anything else is a short term cash grab... if there is cash to be made at all.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Typical no planning knee jerk hair brain one off ideas in RL. Just about sums up the international games development.

ps I do hope it happens though :)

Latest posts