What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia Vs New Zealand, Twickenham Stoop

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skeepe

Immortal
Slater's defence was horrific. Lance Hohaia was tackling Petero and Brett White (not that that's anything admittedly) one on one on his own line no problems at all. Easy as shelling peas. Billy Slater was like a one legged square dancer trying to imitate a defensive player.

Did Brett White actually play? Serious question as I've seen the game twice and can't remember ever seeing him take a hit up or make a tackle.

1. Slater (Australian Rep)
4. Inglis (Australian Rep)
7. Cronk (Australian Rep)
8. Lima (NZ Rep)
9. Smith (Australian Rep)
10. White (Australian Rep)
11. Manu (NZ Rep)
12. Hoffman (Australian Rep)
13. Blair (NZ Rep)

throw in acouple of freaks from the 20's champions and some established premiership players and it really isnt fair for the rest of the NRL

Dont forget Chase Stanley (NZ rep)

My player ratings:

Australia:
1. Billy Slater - 3 - Quiet game from Billy, wasn't really tested and was generally poor in defence.
2. Brett Morris - 2 - Poor game from Brett, came up with some silly mistakes and his try could've been scored by anybody. Easily the worst player on the night.
3. Greg Inglis - 7 - Good game by GI despite the lack of space and quality possesion. Set up two tries and bustled through a number of tackles.
4. Justin Hodges - 3 - Quiet, limited oppurtunities to show his mettle.
5. Jarryd Hayne - 3 - Extra quiet, made some nice kick returns and did extremely well to nearly get back into the field of play but received very little quality ball.
6. Darren Lockyer - 3 - Quiet game from the skipper who needed to combine with Thurston more to give space to his outside men.
7. Johnathan Thurston - 5 - Solid game from Thurston who's boot kept Australia in the game along with his quick thinking.
8. Ben Hannant - 5 - Another solid contributor, hit it up all day.
9. Cameron Smith - 5 - Scored the pivotal try to help Australia eclipse the Kiwi score and was involved in the B. Morris try. Solid
10. Petero Civoniceiva - 6 - Played consistently, did well for his first game back.
11. Trent Waterhouse - 3 - Quiet.
12. Ryan Hoffman - 3 - Quiet.
13. Anthony Watmough - 5 - Wasn't at his best but still came up with some great charges.

14. Brett White - 3 - Quiet
15. Sam Thaiday - 3 - Quiet, shouldn't be used as a prop.
16. Paul Gallen - 4 - Came up with some critical tackles.
17. Kurt Gidley - 3 - Limited game time hindered his performance.

New Zealand
Lance Hohaia - 3 - Scored a good try but came up with two costly errors.
Sam Perrett - 3 - Quiet, aside from his leap that help set up the Hohaia try was barely sighted.
Junior Sau - 6 - Scored a good try, reasonable performance considering it's his second international.
Steve Matai - 3 - Quiet.
Bryson Goodwin - 3 - Quiet, made a good kick return at one stage, can't remember much else.
Benji Marshall - 4 - Combined well with Fien to lead the Kiwi's around. Came up with some important plays as well.
Nathan Fien - 5 - Very solid from Fien, lead the Kiwi's around nicely.
Frank Paul - Nuuausala - 5 - Scored a great try and was solid through out the night.
Issac Luke - 5 - Threatened the Aussies on a number of occasions with his quick darts.
Fui Fui Moi Moi - 3 - Below his standard but came up with some decent charges.
Bronson Harrison - 4 - Injury hurt his score but he had a decent opening stanza.
Frank Pritchard - 4 - Scored a nice try, can't remember him doing much else.
Adam Blair - 8 - Was an absolute monster out there. Probably the most physical player in Rugby League.

Jeff Lima - 4 - Was good when he came on, unfortunately injury ruined his night.
Thomas Leuluai - 3 - Limited game time, was decent.
Iosia Soliola - 4 - Good in defence, can't remember much else.
Jared Warea Hargraves - 6 - Had a wonderful first stint and shocked the hell out of everyone good performance.

What the f**k? Did you even watch the game?

One of the better tests in recent memory and you give these laughable ratings out??

Big Pete

Referee
You're absolutely right. Kurt Gidley should only get a 1, he contributed absolutely nothing, don't worry JW, it wasn't his fault...entirely.

Unlike fascist users/journalists who believe 5 should be the token score, I believe it should be a 3. If you put forward an ordinary/quiet performance, you should be awarded a 3, a score of 5 should be reserved for players who actually contributed something meaningful.

Bman26

Juniors
Did Brett White actually play? Serious question as I've seen the game twice and can't remember ever seeing him take a hit up or make a tackle.

He played about 10 minutes, courtesy of Tom Shines preference of 2nd rowers over props.

j0nesy

Bench
You're absolutely right. Kurt Gidley should only get a 1, he contributed absolutely nothing, don't worry JW, it wasn't his fault...entirely.

Unlike fascist users/journalists who believe 5 should be the token score, I believe it should be a 3. If you put forward an ordinary/quiet performance, you should be awarded a 3, a score of 5 should be reserved for players who actually contributed something meaningful.

Right so Gidley was worse than Morris now? Make up your mind man.

Big Pete

Referee
To be fair, if Gidley had of played more minutes, he may of been better than Morris. Morris was easily the most dentrimental on field while Gidley's selection had more of a negative impact largely because of Sheens' poor game plan.

On a proper second viewing, I'd revise a number of my scores. A few subtractions and a lot of additions, mostly to Kiwi's.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Morris might have been poor, but Gidley is simply pointless. Put someone in there who actually has a reason to be on the field, Luke Lewis.

Chook Norris

First Grade
To be fair, if Gidley had of played more minutes, he may of been better than Morris. Morris was easily the most dentrimental on field while Gidley's selection had more of a negative impact largely because of Sheens' poor game plan.

On a proper second viewing, I'd revise a number of my scores. A few subtractions and a lot of additions, mostly to Kiwi's.

at last i've seen someone post these 5(4) words!! :crazy:

Imo, Sheens poor preparation really showed [i'm not using the no warm up games as an excuse, it's not like it's the first time]

Joker's Wild

Coach

Patronising much Pete.

But your right, Gidley was used incorrectly. IMO he never even should have taken the field unless there was a genuine injury to the backline, halves or hooker. Throwing him on in the backrow just because he was on the bench was stupid.

simmo1

First Grade
Patronising much Pete.

But your right, Gidley was used incorrectly. IMO he never even should have taken the field unless there was a genuine injury to the backline, halves or hooker. Throwing him on in the backrow just because he was on the bench was stupid.

Or maybe picking a player who's one and only reason to be there is if a backline player gets injured was stupid. If only there existed such a player that could fill in along the backline was well as play a bit of backrow, so that we wouldn't have a wasted spot on the bench.... Oh wait, such a player does exist, step forward Luke Lewis.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Or maybe picking a player who's one and only reason to be there is if a backline player gets injured was stupid. If only there existed such a player that could fill in along the backline was well as play a bit of backrow, so that we wouldn't have a wasted spot on the bench.... Oh wait, such a player does exist, step forward Luke Lewis.

I question Lewis's ability in the 3/4 line considering he has been playing in the forwards (or at halfback) for the last 3-4 seasons as well as his inability to cover hooker.

Boganater

Juniors
Lewis won a grand final and played origin on the wing you knob. Even though that was a long time ago he would be a better bet in the front line of defence than Gidley who plays fullback at club level. Lewis would make a better fist of any position than Gidley. He' a much better footballer period, accept it.

Special K

Coach
It was a joke how you couldn't buy an aussie jersey (or kiwi or any rl merch that was not harlequins) at the game. Missed out on some pounds there imo

In fact I couldn't find an Aussie RL jump any where in london. I found Origin, Wallabies, Cricket and Soccer national ones... Upsetting!

Hindyscrack

Bench
It was a joke how you couldn't buy an aussie jersey (or kiwi or any rl merch that was not harlequins) at the game. Missed out on some pounds there imo

In fact I couldn't find an Aussie RL jump any where in london. I found Origin, Wallabies, Cricket and Soccer national ones... Upsetting!

Try the soccer store in carnaby st? lillywhites? spotted them there over the past couple of months.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Lewis won a grand final and played origin on the wing you knob. Even though that was a long time ago he would be a better bet in the front line of defence than Gidley who plays fullback at club level. Lewis would make a better fist of any position than Gidley. He' a much better footballer period, accept it.

You talk about his abilities in positions Lewis played 6+ years ago and you have the hide to call me a knob :lol:

Gidley has played full games at both halfback and hooker just last year so I think he goes alright in the front line mate.

You want to think Lewis is a better footballer, you go right ahead. Unfortunately for you mate, it doesn't make it true just because you've fooled yourself into believing it.

Big Pete

Referee
Considering how versatile our backline is, I'd argue that it isn't neccesary to carry a utility player on the bench.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Losing a half or hooker would be my concern

But yeah, 99% of the time carrying a utility ends up being unnecessary.

I like the idea of a fresh dummy half or extra ball player on in the last 10. Should work well against the poms.

Wonder if they have learnt to defend a second man play, swap hayne and morris and inglis and hayne will have a field day.

Much better back row and bench

Latest posts