What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia will play either Tonga or England in the final

deluded pom?

Coach
I agree, however based on the recent performances of both the Roos and the Kiwis it's easy to see why people have come to that conclusion, and they may just be right.

On the other hand it is not easy to see how the English fans that are expecting the English team to waltz their way into the final have come to their conclusions, personally I can see Tonga and even PNG surprising England.
If I was betting on either game I'd back England and I expect them to win both games (comfortably against the Kumals, but with a little bit more difficulty against the Tongans) but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Tonga march into the final on the back of the confidence gained from beating the Kiwis or PNG to ride a wave national pride and pull of a thrilling upset over your lot.
And I wouldn't disagree with any of that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the game was reffed to the rules Australia shouldn't even be favourites. They beat England because of two rubbish penalties while their wrestle, which ruined the game as a spectacle, wasn't penalised once. They then did the exact same thing in the next two games while their opponents were penalised for any little thing, and then had the nerve to whinge about Lebanon slowing the game down.

If Australia's wrestle was penalised I'd tip NZ to beat them. But now that Mal and Cam have complained we will get to see the game 'flow' with 10-15 second rucks as Australia bores their opponents to death.

Australia has turned the three man tackle and wrestle into a much hated art form. You can go make a cup of tea and be back before the next play of the ball at some of Australia's tackles! As for Cam Smith whinging about Lebanon slowing the PoB, you couldn't make it up lol.

On the flip side England has decided to revert to union and simply roll the ball between the legs with hardly any attempt to actually play it. Shame we have refs who would rather be coaches than enforce the rules!

Lebbo73

Bench
If the game was reffed to the rules Australia shouldn't even be favourites. They beat England because of two rubbish penalties while their wrestle, which ruined the game as a spectacle, wasn't penalised once. They then did the exact same thing in the next two games while their opponents were penalised for any little thing, and then had the nerve to whinge about Lebanon slowing the game down.

If Australia's wrestle was penalised I'd tip NZ to beat them. But now that Mal and Cam have complained we will get to see the game 'flow' with 10-15 second rucks as Australia bores their opponents to death.
Ok Springs. How many years have you been on Mars for and when did you get back?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Like I said there isn't the money in the game over there. Bit like asking why Columbia aren't as successful as Germany at soccer. NRL has 16 clubs, SL 12 for starters. Then add in the influence of the Kiwis and Pi's on the quality of the competition here, the club funding, the jnr funding as I have mentioned, the lack of competition in RL's two main states where as RL has to contend with the behemoth of soccer in its heartland and so it goes on.
I'm amazed really that people seem to think it should be close and that somehow England is failing because it isn't.

Hey, hey c'mon mate it is Colombia and we would give Germany a good game don't worry about that ;)

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Australia has turned the three man tackle and wrestle into a much hated art form. You can go make a cup of tea and be back before the next play of the ball at some of Australia's tackles! As for Cam Smith whinging about Lebanon slowing the PoB, you couldn't make it up lol.

On the flip side England has decided to revert to union and simply roll the ball between the legs with hardly any attempt to actually play it. Shame we have refs who would rather be coaches than enforce the rules!

PR - what do you think about the Widdop, Brown, Gale, Hodgson spine combo with Roby off the bench? I like it I think it could work really well and I think Roby is really dangerous when he comes on and takes on the tired forwards - he is a fantastic dummy half.

Valheru

Coach

You are clutching.

There are no rugby league rule variations or interpretations on earth that will prevent Australia from winning this world cup.

Springs09

Juniors
You are clutching.

There are no rugby league rule variations or interpretations on earth that will prevent Australia from winning this world cup.

It's not about that. It's about Australia hardly being impressive, ruining the game with their ruck garbage and then whinging when they don't get their own way.

It's not about variations or whatever, the game isn't refereed to the actual rules. It's the same in the NRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
PR - what do you think about the Widdop, Brown, Gale, Hodgson spine combo with Roby off the bench? I like it I think it could work really well and I think Roby is really dangerous when he comes on and takes on the tired forwards - he is a fantastic dummy half.

Biggest concern for us is we have no real game winners when it’s on the line. It’s hard to see any of the spine breaking open the Australian defence. Been disappointed Hodgson so far.

Danish

Referee
Reading all you poms talking up your chances against an "ageing" australian side has given this New South Welshman an insight into just how pathetic us blues supporters must seem to the queenslanders in the lead up to origin every year

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Biggest concern for us is we have no real game winners when it’s on the line. It’s hard to see any of the spine breaking open the Australian defence. Been disappointed Hodgson so far.

Yes true - Hopefully Hodgson is saving his best for the knock-out stages and I think that Roby could be the game breaker you mentioned coming off the bench. I'm pretty pumped for the next few weeks.

Pommy

Coach
Reading all you poms talking up your chances against an "ageing" australian side has given this New South Welshman an insight into just how pathetic us blues supporters must seem to the queenslanders in the lead up to origin every year

f**k me we might as well have just given the aussies the trophy at the opening ceremony and had done with it.

Danish

Referee
f**k me we might as well have just given the aussies the trophy at the opening ceremony and had done with it.

Probably.

Just giving the shield to QLD every May would save an awful lot of heartache as well, but I'd had to see poor Cam Smith's family go hungry so we go through the motions to ensure his match payments will put food on the table

Perth Red

Post Whore
Probably.

Just giving the shield to QLD every May would save an awful lot of heartache as well, but I'd had to see poor Cam Smith's family go hungry so we go through the motions to ensure his match payments will put food on the table

Come on, there is nothing better than seeing the NSW hosts of all the footy shows looking so hopeful, then seeing them crash in despair year on year lol.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Man I lost it over this post , sensational lol

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Australia just have to hope the semi or final don't fall on a "one of those days" games because that's the only thing that will stop them.

I think a lot of people are underestimating England though. If their spine weren't mentally blocked when they see green and gold jerseys they'd be a genuine threat.