What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B Morris To South Sydney

possm

Coach
Reported on Zero tackle - B Morris is off to the Rabbits on a reported 700k p/a deal.

https://www.leagueunlimited.com/brett-morris-set-south-sydney-stint-29526/

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldog’s winger Brett Morris appears set for a move to Redfern as the Dogs continue to clean out their salary cap, clearing the way for recruits Keiren Foran and Aaron Woods.

Morris debuted for the St. George Illawarra Dragons in 2006, playing 169 games across a nine-year career in the Red V, before switching to Canterbury for the 2015 season. During his three years in the blue and white, injury has plagued the winger, only taking the field for 45 out of a potential 75 games.

Reportedly on $700,000 next year, the Bulldogs are desperate to clear the decks to squeeze in key recruits, Foran and Woods. While they’ve already allowed the exit of fan favourites James Graham, Josh Reynolds and Sam Kasiano, as well as releasing Craig Garvey, Tyrone Phillips and Michael Lichaa, they still remain over the cap.

The exit of Morris to the Rabbitohs would benefit both parties, freeing up the Bulldogs salary cap while also bolstering the Bunnies’ backline.

Reportedly on $700,000 next year, the Bulldogs are desperate to clear the decks to squeeze in key recruits, Foran and Woods. While they’ve already allowed the exit of fan favourites James Graham, Josh Reynolds and Sam Kasiano, as well as releasing Craig Garvey, Tyrone Phillips and Michael Lichaa, they still remain over the cap.

The exit of Morris to the Rabbitohs would benefit both parties, freeing up the Bulldogs salary cap while also bolstering the Bunnies’ backline.

South Sydney are desperate for quality outside backs. Since winning the 2014 NRL Premiership, the likes of Lote Tuqiri, Dylan Walker, Aaron Gray, Bryson Goodwin, Kirisome Auva’a, Joel Reddy, Dane Nielsen, Nathan Merritt and Beau Champion. They’ve barely signed anyone in the past few years, focusing on junior development instead of recruitment.

It appears new head coach Anthony Seibold has a different approach, though certainly does still have the club’s juniors in mind. The Rabbitohs re-signed young forwards Sam Johnstone, Ky Rodwell and Lucky Ta’avale on multi-year deals after coming through the club’s Holden Cup side.

It’ll be a bold move for Dean Pay, releasing an international winger in his first week of being a head coach, but the job revolves around bold decisions. The deal is expected to be announced in the coming month, as soon as Canterbury decide how much of his 2018 contract they’ll contribute financially.

Last edited:

Brutalitops

Juniors
Can't help but feel for Brett. I don't believe he ever wanted to leave for any reason other than to play with his brother, which I have no problem with. But as soon as he got there he had a horror run with injuries, so he didn't get to play with him as much as he wanted. And after all that, the club pushes him out.

Hoping he has good luck with injuries the rest of his career

Life's Good

Coach
Well he's leaving the dogs away from his brother Josh for 700k. Even after the last 2 seasons being riddled with injuries. Are Souths that THICK?
All their marquee eggs are with SBurgess & Inglis. They resign Sutton and signed Dane(I only play well for Qld)Gagai & might lose Crichton. I would say THICK is being generous.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
Bitch comes to mind reading this post. Anyone that leaves the club is ostracised. Nightingale is under fire for being the loyal/yet over the hill player. Give me f**king strength. Brett Morris is an effing legend. I hope he kills it at Souths.
I too hope he gets back to his best because he's brilliant to watch.

But his legacy has been tainted. He could have gone down as a 1 club Dragons legend, now he's heading to his 3rd club and gaining 'journeyman' status...

Still a Premiership Hero though...

Lovemedragons

Juniors
sorry but I am disappointed because he now wont be coming back to the red v. hes not finished yet and if he gets injury free he will do good at the bunnies just as he would have coming back to strengthen our mediocre backline.